inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Back to the Future" films/"Star Wars" trilogy/"The Fly"

Written By: Heather on 04/27/04 at 4:45 pm

I just remembered some more films that I love!

"Back to the Future" parts 1,2 and 3 (part 2 is actually my favorite):  I remember having a huge crush on Micheal J. Fox as a kid, and went completely ga-ga when he did that rendition of "Johnny Be Good", and in the second movie when he's on the hover board!  I love the second movie the best, b/c of the advanced special effects and it had more stuff in it.

"Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi":  Although the first "SW" came out in '77, I love these movies, more than the newer ones which are okay, but not quite the same.  I love all three of the movies, so it is hard to find a fave.  I love Princess Leia, b/c she's so strong and powerful, and handled being the only girl really well.  I also loved all of her hair-do's, especially the one in "ROTJ" where it's really long.  I also had crushes on Luke Skywalker and, of course, Han Solo......Harrison Ford......SCRUMPTIOUS!!!  I first saw them in '87, after "Spaceballs" came out, and b/c I love "Spaceballs", I HAD to see the original "SW" films.

"The Fly":  This is a pretty disturbing and gross film, but I love it for some reason.  I first saw it when it came out on cable, b/c I had a crush on Jeff Golblum (what a hunk!)  But it also had a good message in it, about leaving nature alone, not screwing w/ our bodies, and it even had an underlying AIDS message in it as well.  I know, it's only a horro movie, but still very strong.

Subject: Re: "Back to the Future" films/"Star Wars" trilogy/"The Fly"

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/27/04 at 4:51 pm

"The Fly":  ..., and it even had an underlying AIDS message in it as well.  I know, it's only a horro movie, but still very strong.

I never noticed that in that film. How was it implicated?

Written By: Heather on 04/27/04 at 5:03 pm

"The Fly" you mean?

Well, the AIDS epidemic was becoming very prevelant during this time.  And, even though he did not necessarily become "Brundle/Fly" by having sex with Geena Davis' character and that other girl, he did mess around w/ nature by unknowingly "joining" w/ a housefly.  And, even though it was elaborate make-up & special effects, it was sort of simular to AIDS in how it effected his well-being.  I'm not trying to offend anybody, but there were alot of people who saw this, too, including film critics.

BTW, I hope y'all don't mind if I use these little "BTW"'s, "W/"'s, "y'all"'s, "U's" and "2's" instead of spelling out the whole word. b/c it's more fun this way.  Oh!  I 4-got!  "B/C"!

Written By: Bobby on 04/27/04 at 5:19 pm

"The Fly" you mean?

Well, the AIDS epidemic was becoming very prevelant during this time.  And, even though he did not necessarily become "Brundle/Fly" by having sex with Geena Davis' character and that other girl, he did mess around w/ nature by unknowingly "joining" w/ a housefly.  And, even though it was elaborate make-up & special effects, it was sort of simular to AIDS in how it effected his well-being.  I'm not trying to offend anybody, but there were alot of people who saw this, too, including film critics.

The Fly was based on the old one (of the same name) from the 50s (or thereabouts).

Oh and I also meant to say that I absolutely LOVE Marty McFly and HATE Doc Brown so anybody that thinks different from me is nasty.  :D

Written By: Heather on 04/27/04 at 5:22 pm

Yeah, there was a 1958 version, but it wasn't anything like the '86 version. 

I loved Christopher Lloyd on "Taxi" ("What....does....the....yell-ow....light....mean?"), but could not stand him in "Back to the Future", b/c he was too jumpy and annoying.  I also hated him in "Walk Like A Man".

Written By: Bobby on 04/27/04 at 5:26 pm

I loved Christopher Lloyd on "Taxi" ("What....does....the....yell-ow....light....mean?"), but could not stand him in "Back to the Future", b/c he was too jumpy and annoying.  I also hated him in "Walk Like A Man".

I actually did like Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future, I was just messing about Heather. I also liked him in the film 'Dream Team' where he played a psychiatrist - great film all round.

Written By: Heather on 04/27/04 at 5:30 pm

4 the most part, he is pretty versatile as an actor, and he is really cool, but "BTTF" and "Walk Like A Man" weren't exactly my faves of his.  Love "BTTF", but he got on my nerves after a while!

Written By: neebs25 on 12/28/04 at 1:17 pm

I loved the "doc" in Back to the Future.  My favorite is when he always says GREAT SCOTT!!!!

Written By: proof on 12/28/04 at 2:47 pm

I loved that scene.  Reverend Jim was the best.

What does the yellow light mean?

SLOW DOWN!!

What....does....the....yell-ow....light....mean?

Classic.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 3:58 pm

Back To The Future films were my favorites.I like Doc myself.He is hilarious. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 3:59 pm

I loved the "doc" in Back to the Future.  My favorite is when he always says GREAT SCOTT!!!!

or "Marty...21 jiggowatts"! ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/28/04 at 8:53 pm

The Fly is good, Fly 2 isn't.

Written By: _adam_ on 12/30/04 at 9:31 am

Back to future 1 is genial movie,2 and 3 are boring.

Check for new replies or respond here...