inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Van Hagar

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 2:19 pm

My pick was "When It's Love"

Subject: Re: Van Hagar

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/28/04 at 2:22 pm

I chose Right Now mainly b/c I really like the video. It really made me think.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/28/04 at 2:22 pm

My pick was "When It's Love"

Oh no, not again!  ::) ;D

Written By: duranchick on 04/28/04 at 2:28 pm

My pick was - "Why Can't This Be Love" - great driving song!

Written By: resinchaser on 04/28/04 at 2:30 pm

I like Poundcake.

Written By: gamblefish on 04/28/04 at 3:26 pm

When Hagar replaced Roth I tried to like it...really I did!! Honest!! But Van Halen has never been the same, and the change was for the worse IMO. I don't know what it is, because I liked Sammy in Montrose and as a solo artist, but David Lee Roth is as much Van Halen as the rest of the band. When they replaced Roth, it became a different band. To me Sammy never cut it.

Written By: JennParkandKyan on 04/28/04 at 3:28 pm

when it's love....reminds me of 9th grade!! :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/04 at 4:26 pm

No no no no!!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 5:09 pm

That really was a great video...I believe in won some sort of award.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 5:12 pm

When Hagar replaced Roth I tried to like it...really I did!! Honest!! But Van Halen has never been the same, and the change was for the worse IMO. I don't know what it is, because I liked Sammy in Montrose and as a solo artist, but David Lee Roth is as much Van Halen as the rest of the band. When they replaced Roth, it became a different band. To me Sammy never cut it.
I respect that, gamblefish....for me I just looked at it as two completely different bands, then as I took a more personal look at the two singers I like Sammy so much better...he doesn't have that HUGE ego that Roth flaunts...but overall I'd say Dave was Van Halen.  I really wish they'd have renamed the band "VanHagar".... :-\

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 5:17 pm

MTV VMA Video of the Year 1992  :D

BTW, I also chose this song..."Right Now"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 5:19 pm

MTV VMA Video of the Year 1992  :D

BTW, I also chose this song..."Right Now"
Thanks, woops ;)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/01/04 at 12:13 am

When It's Love

Written By: Lanie on 05/02/04 at 10:51 pm

"When It's Love"---I absolutely LOVE that song! ;D

Written By: RockFaerie on 06/20/04 at 4:42 pm

Can't Stop Loving You

Written By: goldie on 06/20/04 at 6:59 pm

"Why Can't This Be Love"

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/20/04 at 10:01 pm

Other - "Dreams"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 6:24 pm

Other - "Dreams"
Nice choice, DJ Midas! It's a pretty cool video too 8)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/08/04 at 6:34 pm

Right Now

Written By: Pandora on 07/08/04 at 7:11 pm

Other - "Dreams"

Yup..Dreams, Love Walks In and Best of Both Worlds.  (I guess you could say I like pretty much anything from 5150)

Written By: SuperFreak on 07/08/04 at 7:46 pm

Runaround :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/08/04 at 9:27 pm

"When Its Love" and "Dreams"

BTW I much preferred Hagar over Roth.  Roth just seemed like such an ass all the time even when they got along, where with Hagar it seemed like more of a balance of musicianship.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/04 at 12:17 am

"When Its Love" and "Dreams"

BTW I much preferred Hagar over Roth.  Roth just seemed like such an a** all the time even when they got along, where with Hagar it seemed like more of a balance of musicianship.
I agree...they were two completely different bands...and although I enjoyed the early "Roth" incarnation, I think the group has more "Fun" with Sammy! I saw both line-ups...Roth 3 times and Sammy once....Sammy wins by far....IMHO :)

Written By: Fett69 on 07/10/04 at 3:02 am

Other:

Best Of Both Worlds  and 5150

I agree with you, R&RF.  I also took the "completely different band" view.  While I liked the Roth-era sound, I have never cared for DLR himself.  And the Hagar-era has always edged out the earlier version to me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/10/04 at 4:44 pm

Other:

Best Of Both Worlds  and 5150

I agree with you, R&RF.  I also took the "completely different band" view.  While I liked the Roth-era sound, I have never cared for DLR himself.  And the Hagar-era has always edged out the earlier version to me.
:)

Written By: scoobydude on 07/10/04 at 9:04 pm

I picked "When It's Love."  Back in 1993, I fell in love with my girl friend's best friend. :o Wait!  I know, WRONG MOVE, but I was young, as we all were at one point and the GF was a beeyotch and her friend was breaking up with her boyfriend and moved in with me and could see that my GF was always ragging on me and we were already good friends and so one night I'm driving home from work, tossing this around my mind and asking God if He could send me a sign to let me know if I should pursue the friend and I started singing "When It's Love" in my head and then I turned on the radio AND IT WAS PLAYING ON THE RADIO.  (where's the bug-eyed smiley face?)

So, I went home, knowing I was gonna break things off with the GF and that's what I did.

Of course, it didn't work out with me and the best friend... how could it? 

Back to Van Hagar... I'm gonna be seeing them in concert on 9/11/04.  I loved Van Halen growing up and my first rock concert would've been Dave post-VH in 1986, but my brother couldn't get tickets or couldn't get off work.    :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/10/04 at 9:11 pm

I picked "When It's Love."  Back in 1993, I fell in love with my girl friend's best friend. :o Wait!  I know, WRONG MOVE, but I was young, as we all were at one point and the GF was a beeyotch and her friend was breaking up with her boyfriend and moved in with me and could see that my GF was always ragging on me and we were already good friends and so one night I'm driving home from work, tossing this around my mind and asking God if He could send me a sign to let me know if I should pursue the friend and I started singing "When It's Love" in my head and then I turned on the radio AND IT WAS PLAYING ON THE RADIO.  (where's the bug-eyed smiley face?)

So, I went home, knowing I was gonna break things off with the GF and that's what I did.

Of course, it didn't work out with me and the best friend... how could it? 

Back to Van Hagar... I'm gonna be seeing them in concert on 9/11/04.  I loved Van Halen growing up and my first rock concert would've been Dave post-VH in 1986, but my brother couldn't get tickets or couldn't get off work.    :(
Helluva story scoobydude, thanks for sharing ;) Where are you gonna see them?

Written By: scoobydude on 07/10/04 at 9:30 pm

Helluva story scoobydude, thanks for sharing ;) Where are you gonna see them?

Jacksonville, Florida... I saw Prince there a couple of months ago and had front row seats... that was a cool show too! 8)

Written By: stingr22 on 07/12/04 at 12:07 am

Saw Van Halen last Wednesday night (July 7) in Columbus, OH.  AWESOME show!  They absolutely have not missed a beat and they sounded incredible!  Eddie Van Halen is the best guitarist EVER (in my opinion, so don't start hammering me if you think otherwise) and he was in perfect form that night!

To quote Sammy Hagar, just before Eddie went into a 10 minute "classical meets rock n' roll guitar solo):  "One morning Eddie woke up and decided he was going to reinvent the guitar..."

They did plenty of songs from both the Sammy and Dave eras.  To me, the best part of the night was watching how much fun they were having!  They really seemed to be enjoying themselves, which made it a blast for the 20,000 people in attendance! 

If you get the chance to see them, DO IT!  You will not be disappointed!  8)

Written By: Jessica on 07/12/04 at 1:03 am

"When It's Love"

They're going to be here in August, I think. I want to go see them, but I don't have the $125 for a ticket. :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/12/04 at 1:05 am

"When It's Love"

They're going to be here in August, I think. I want to go see them, but I don't have the $125 for a ticket. :P
I was lucky enough to see them back in 1992 but, like you, I can't afford it this time around :\'(

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/12/04 at 1:57 am

"When It's Love" hands down followed by "Finish What Ya Started" and "Why Can't This Be Love"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/04 at 8:47 pm

"When It's Love" hands down followed by "Finish What Ya Started" and "Why Can't This Be Love"
Nice, ktelqueen :)

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 07/18/04 at 9:56 pm

When It's Love

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 07/19/04 at 1:35 am

Well, I voted for When It's Love.  But, I also really like Right Now and Dreams.  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/04 at 7:43 am

Why Can't This Be Love

Written By: bj26 on 07/21/04 at 11:19 am

I wasn't much of a fan but as of late, seem to really like anything I hear from them with David Lee Roth.  I like Jump and Dance the night away.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 12:16 pm

I wasn't much of a fan but as of late, seem to really like anything I hear from them with David Lee Roth.  I like Jump and Dance the night away.
There's a thread in here somewhere for the DLR years ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/21/04 at 2:36 pm

Other: Best of Both Worlds

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/04 at 9:50 pm

This is starting to look like how the jury should've voted in the oj trial :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/27/04 at 2:07 am

Finish What You Started

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/15/04 at 10:41 pm

*BUMP* :)

Written By: Whisper on 08/28/04 at 2:18 pm

Can't Stop Loving You

Written By: Koop on 08/28/04 at 2:24 pm

I went with "Finish What Ya Started".

I have to admit, I prefer the Roth VH, but I like a few of the Hagar ones....I just prefer Sammy as a solo artist.  But you're right, R&R Fan, they're like 2 different bands.  :)

The Gary Cherone VH, however........  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/04 at 5:26 pm

I went with "Finish What Ya Started".

I have to admit, I prefer the Roth VH, but I like a few of the Hagar ones....I just prefer Sammy as a solo artist.  But you're right, R&R Fan, they're like 2 different bands.  :)

The Gary Cherone VH, however........  :P
Gary who?  :D I had blacked that out from my memory!

Check for new replies or respond here...