inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Janet Jackson

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/28/04 at 3:31 pm

I choose Miss You Much, though What Have You Done For Me Lately comes in 2nd.

Subject: Re: Janet Jackson

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/04 at 3:55 pm

I was tossed between Nasty and What have you done for me lately but I chose Nasty.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/04 at 4:01 pm

I'm not a Janet fan, but "What Have You Done for Me Lately" had a nifty riff.

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 4:24 pm

Control  8)

Written By: Cheetara on 04/28/04 at 4:59 pm

Rythym Nation

Written By: resinchaser on 04/28/04 at 5:09 pm

Rythym Nation

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 5:14 pm

I always liked "Let's Wait A While"

Written By: JennParkandKyan on 04/28/04 at 5:23 pm

I love EscapadeandAgainoh andControl

Hey I've got the greatest hits CD..i forgot

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/29/04 at 6:57 am

I'm not a big Janet fan, but I liked Rythm Nation the best.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/01/04 at 12:22 am

Nasty

Written By: zcrito on 05/01/04 at 8:23 pm

Janet Jackson can come up with some awful "predicto-beat" songs ( :P ) but I always liked these from her ( :) ) and think they're not only her best but great '80s and '90s songs...

1. Where Are You Now (1993)
2. The Pleasure Principle (1987)
3. Let's Wait Awhile (1987) (America's "Daisy Jane" ?)
4. Love Will Never Do (Without You) (1990)
5. All for You; Janet Jackson (2001) (Luther Vandross and Change's "The Glow of Love" ?)
6. Someone to Call My Lover (2001) (America's "Ventura Highway" ?)

:D

Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime ==>  :o   ???  >:(   ;)   ???   :-\   ???   >:(   :P   :P   :P   >:(   >:(   ???

Written By: mandamoo on 05/01/04 at 9:37 pm

I only ever liked 'Love Will Never Do (Without You)'

Written By: MooRocca on 05/02/04 at 7:15 pm

Nasty. 

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/04 at 7:27 pm

Let's Wait a While

Written By: Lanie on 05/02/04 at 10:33 pm

"Rhythm Nation" :)

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 05/26/04 at 4:31 pm

"Nasty"

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/07/04 at 3:35 pm

Lets wait a while

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 3:36 pm

Let's Wait A While :(  *sniffle*

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/09/04 at 6:30 pm

Nasty

Written By: SmithsGirl on 06/09/04 at 9:21 pm

I just can't choose :-\\ . It's a toss up between:

Nasty
Control
What have you done for me lately

SmithsGirl

Written By: ferrisb on 06/10/04 at 1:52 pm

"Nasty"

I voted for "Nasty" too. By the is Zebra 3 from the original TV series?? ??? ??? ???

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/10/04 at 8:36 am

"The Pleasure Principle" followed by "Control","What Have You Done For Me Lately" and "Nasty".."Control" is a great album!

Written By: prettypete on 07/11/04 at 7:34 am

other. When I Think Of You. The video was kinda like an extended remix.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 1:40 pm

Pleasure Principle

Tanya

Written By: mandamoo on 07/31/04 at 9:44 pm

Other - 'Love Will Never Do (Without You)' which is the only one I like.

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/03/04 at 1:32 am

Other - "Alright" with Heavy DiddlydiddlydiddlyD!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/06 at 6:13 pm

Her best song from the 80's I think is "When I Think of You", although I also really like "Come Give Your Love to Me" which was a very very minor hit for her in 1983 :)

Written By: Dan78 on 01/30/06 at 6:55 pm

"When I Think of You"

I sure wish that there was the original 5 + minute version on her "Control" album on CD, apparently, it was that way on TAPE, but when they re-released on CD, they put the 3 minute radio version on there. Am I wrong? My second choice is "Let's Wait Awhile" and I kick my self for not taking an original tape recording of this song of the radio taped back in early '87, when I moved years ago.  :(

Written By: robby76 on 01/30/06 at 8:36 pm

Again "When I Think of You". The video was great!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/30/06 at 8:53 pm

Pleasure Principle - I also loved the video, she lived in this big warehouse with TONS of space (something I wish I had)  ;D

Let's wait awhile was my second fave.  I also liked the video for that too.  She wore this big hoop earring with a key dangling from it.  I liked that (I don't know why).

Written By: Banks on 01/30/06 at 9:02 pm

I chose other.

My three favorite Janet Jackson songs are:

Love Will Never Do (Without You). The video to this was great, and JJ never looked so good before or since.

If

and

The Best Things In Life Are Free with Luther Vandross(Sp?) from the Mo Money soundtrack I think.

AN

Written By: robby76 on 01/31/06 at 12:35 am

Love Will Never Do (Without You). The video to this was great, and JJ never looked so good before or since.
If
The Best Things In Life Are Free with Luther Vandross(Sp?) from the Mo Money soundtrack I think.

These were all 90's.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/22/07 at 9:17 am

Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)
Nasty
Let's Wait Awhile
What Have You Done For Me Lately
Miss You Much
Rhythm Nation
He Doesn't Know That I'm Alive
Pleasure Principle
When I Think Of You
Control

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 10:36 pm

I say Pleasure Principle.

I also really like Dreamstreet and Don't Stand Another Chance. I know they are really poppy sounding but I still like them.

Rhythm Nation is my favorite Janet Album released in 89

Escapade
Alright
Rhythm Nation
Miss You Much

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 10:38 pm

I chose other.

My three favorite Janet Jackson songs are:

If

and

AN

If and the Best Things....  were 90s but Love Will Never Do was on Rhythm Nation.

These were all 90's.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 12:06 pm

i LOOVVVEE Janet!!

i chose other. my favorite single from the Control to RN1814 period is Love Will Never Do (Without You), which was actually released as a single in 1991.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/26/07 at 1:50 pm

NASTY was my SONG !!! So quotable.... the 90s: If. and that's a hot video. Love Will Never Do, great video and you know that is Dijmon Honsou (spelling) and Antonio Sabato Jr.. grooving with Janet.

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 4:44 pm

NASTY was my SONG !!! So quotable.... the 90s: If. and that's a hot video. Love Will Never Do, great video and you know that is Dijmon Honsou (spelling) and Antonio Sabato Jr.. grooving with Janet.

General Hospital Fanatic that I am I knew Antonio was in the video but I never realized that Djimon Hounsou (you spelled it right) was in it too... cool

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/26/07 at 4:52 pm

Snozberries, I learned about Dijmon  from VH1 probably the same day I learned that Rockwell is Berry Gordys' son. Who says TV isnt educational? And i loved Antonio Sabato Jr !!!  Remember that video was a big deal because it revealed a brand new Janet ??? She had been heavy during the  last two albums and then she got all thin for that one.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 4:57 pm

Snozberries, I learned about Dijmon  from VH1 probably the same day I learned that Rockwell is Berry Gordys' son. Who says TV isnt educational? And i loved Antonio Sabato Jr !!!  Remember that video was a big deal because it revealed a brand new Janet ??? She had been heavy during the  last two albums and then she got all thin for that one.

I know what you mean because she was thick in most of her videos, but when "Love Will Never Do (Without You), came out back then.  I was like "WTF???" ???  I was like, "She lost weight that fast?????"

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/26/07 at 5:06 pm

I dont want to get on a Janet's weight tangent but she fluctuates alot !!! She like Oprah was never meant to be skinny (in my opinion.)

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 5:11 pm

I dont want to get on a Janet's weight tangent but she fluctuates alot !!! She like Oprah was never meant to be skinny (in my opinion.)

And like me  ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 5:51 pm

And like me  ;D

OMG!!! You too???

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 6:07 pm

OMG!!! You too???

yeah sadly - what can I say I love food and sitting in front of the tv... I started walking but not giving up food... I'm hoping just to break even  ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 8:05 pm

yeah sadly - what can I say I love food and sitting in front of the tv... I started walking but not giving up food... I'm hoping just to break even  ;D

I love to watch TV and eat as well.  To tell you the truth, if I'm not listening to music, I'm either watching TV or using the computer.  Is it possibble to lose weight by walking even though you like to eat?mmI know I'm getting out of topic, but I was just thinking.

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 10:55 pm

I love to watch TV and eat as well.  To tell you the truth, if I'm not listening to music, I'm either watching TV or using the computer.  Is it possibble to lose weight by walking even though you like to eat?mmI know I'm getting out of topic, but I was just thinking.

I may not be good at math but I know you have to walk off more calories than you eat... at this point I'm just hoping to walk off as many calories as I eat that way I don't get any larger...once I get in the routine of walking I can try to shift the scales (pun intended) in the other direction... for now I'm happy if I the scale doesn't shift in either direction...but especially not up!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 12:16 am

I may not be good at math but I know you have to walk off more calories than you eat... at this point I'm just hoping to walk off as many calories as I eat that way I don't get any larger...once I get in the routine of walking I can try to shift the scales (pun intended) in the other direction... for now I'm happy if I the scale doesn't shift in either direction...but especially not up!

This is very true! ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 12:22 am

What about the songs that came out before she blew up with "Control"? 

"Say You Do", 1982
"Young Love", 1982
"Dream Street", 1984
"Don't Stand Another Chance", 1984

These are her early hits

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 12:28 am

What about the songs that came out before she blew up with "Control"? 

"Say You Do", 1982
"Young Love", 1982
"Dream Street", 1984
"Don't Stand Another Chance", 1984

These are her early hits

I picked Dream Street and Don't Stand another chance too...I remember seeing the video at the end of an episode of Fame! I must say I am glad neon colors are no longer in fashion...

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 12:42 am

I picked Dream Street and Don't Stand another chance too...I remember seeing the video at the end of an episode of Fame! I must say I am glad neon colors are no longer in fashion...

I was at a foster home at the time when Dream Street and Don't Stand Another Chance came out in 1984.  I heard these songs before as a child and I also saw the video of Dream Street, but it didn't impact me the way the songs from her "Control" album did.  I don't know what it is, but when "What Have You Done For Me Lately", "Nasty", and "When I Think Of You" hit the airwaves in 1986, as an impressionable 9-year-old, I was in love with her.  I never forget the time when I used to BEG, I mean, literally, BEG my father to get that album!!! ;D
I wanted to have my hair like hers, but I was too young.  I wanted to dance like her in those videos.  It was an awesome time!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 1:39 am

I was at a foster home at the time when Dream Street and Don't Stand Another Chance came out in 1984.  I heard these songs before as a child and I also saw the video of Dream Street, but it didn't impact me the way the songs from her "Control" album did.  I don't know what it is, but when "What Have You Done For Me Lately", "Nasty", and "When I Think Of You" hit the airwaves in 1986, as an impressionable 9-year-old, I was in love with her.  I never forget the time when I used to BEG, I mean, literally, BEG my father to get that album!!! ;D
I wanted to have my hair like hers, but I was too young.  I wanted to dance like her in those videos.  It was an awesome time!!!

I remember seeing her on an awards show... i don't remember what song she performed but I am pretty sure it was from the Control Album... I remember she was on stage with a bunch of dancers (as usual  ;D) she wore jeans with a hole at the knee (& maybe a white top?)  during the dance they did that move where one leg goes behind the other and then they sort of fall to the stage....like sitting cross-legged- do you know that move? I thought it was so cool I totally wanted to dance like Janet... I have been looking for that clip for awhile but its difficult cause all I really remember are the jeans and that one move... I want to say it was the American Music Awards but I'm not sure (plus the could've been from the Rhythm Nation LP )

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 2:03 am

I remember seeing her on an awards show... i don't remember what song she performed but I am pretty sure it was from the Control Album... I remember she was on stage with a bunch of dancers (as usual  ;D) she wore jeans with a hole at the knee (& maybe a white top?)  during the dance they did that move where one leg goes behind the other and then they sort of fall to the stage....like sitting cross-legged- do you know that move? I thought it was so cool I totally wanted to dance like Janet... I have been looking for that clip for awhile but its difficult cause all I really remember are the jeans and that one move... I want to say it was the American Music Awards but I'm not sure (plus the could've been from the Rhythm Nation LP )

My Lord, I think I know exactly what you're talking about.  It's either the American Music Awards Show or the Grammys, either one.  If I see it on YouTube, maybe it would kick in.  I have to see it first because I think I know exactly what dance you're talking about.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 2:07 am

My Lord, I think I know exactly what you're talking about.  It's either the American Music Awards Show or the Grammys, either one.  If I see it on YouTube, maybe it would kick in.  I have to see it first because I think I know exactly what dance you're talking about.

I've searched most of J's live performances on youtube and haven't found it but if you do find it PLEASE PLEASE send me the link!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 2:16 am

I've searched most of J's live performances on youtube and haven't found it but if you do find it PLEASE PLEASE send me the link!

No problem! ;D

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/27/07 at 7:54 am

Oh please count me in the not meant to be skinny club either...my biggest problem is behind me lol.  I actually got to semi meet Janet. It was in '94 and she was the musical guest for the season finale for Saturday Night Live.  Heather Locklear  and Andrew Shue were the hosts. (shows you it was back in the Melrose Days..) I was a Page at the time so I had to give tours of the SNL set etc.  So we were standing around and the security guard told me he was bringing Janet through. He told me exactly where to stand so that I could at least see her. So he brought her past and I squealed and said, "HI JANET !!!" frankly she acted like she was afraid of me and I stand a whopping 5 feet tall and I sound 12 so I dont know how intimidating I could have seemed.

Written By: KKay on 11/27/07 at 8:10 am

it's Miss Jackson if you're nasty. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 3:45 pm

Oh please count me in the not meant to be skinny club either...my biggest problem is behind me lol.  I actually got to semi meet Janet. It was in '94 and she was the musical guest for the season finale for Saturday Night Live.  Heather Locklear  and Andrew Shue were the hosts. (shows you it was back in the Melrose Days..) I was a Page at the time so I had to give tours of the SNL set etc.  So we were standing around and the security guard told me he was bringing Janet through. He told me exactly where to stand so that I could at least see her. So he brought her past and I squealed and said, "HI JANET !!!" frankly she acted like she was afraid of me and I stand a whopping 5 feet tall and I sound 12 so I dont know how intimidating I could have seemed.

;D  I've never been that close to Janet but I did scare the crap out of Jodie Foster when I met her... she was on campus talking to the film students it 97. It just so happened we parked in the same lot.  Since we were walking in the same direction at the same time I thought I would tell her how much I loved her and how I felt like we'd grown up together because she was on all the shows I watched growing up....remember she was in my tv so that makes her my friend...

when I called her and she was standing about a foot away from me she I said (and I quote) "I ~ you ~ like ~ kid ~ tv ~ grow ~ uuuuhhhhhhh yeah  :-\\  :-[

her eyes got very big and she politely said thank you while backing away and her assistant hurriedly ushered her to her car... yeah I suspect if I ever meet J it will go the same way! L ;D L 

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/27/07 at 4:38 pm

LOL Snoz...man I cant wait to be able to send Karmas you will get like a billion from me !!! That was funny. Hey was her assistant a female? I actually went to elementary school with someone who was once her assistant !! That must have been awesome. I dont know after that brief encounter with J. I wasnt too keen on her...oh well.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 4:59 pm

LOL Snoz...man I cant wait to be able to send Karmas you will get like a billion from me !!! That was funny. Hey was her assistant a female? I actually went to elementary school with someone who was once her assistant !! That must have been awesome. I dont know after that brief encounter with J. I wasnt too keen on her...oh well.

Guess what! that was you're hundredth post  ;D  Karma away!  ;) Sadly you can only give Karma to a person once in a day so I will just appreciate the thought of you wanting to give me more...

I think it must be a little freaky when you're a celeb and people just start shouting you're name out for no real reason... It doesn't help that the Jacksons have always been so sheltered. I guess with that many kids in the family they are their own community and so it was easier to isolate from the world but they would all be better adjusted if they'd had  more realistic experiences growing up!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/27/07 at 6:29 pm

"I ~ you ~ like ~ kid ~ tv ~ grow ~

LMAO!

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/28/07 at 8:21 am

Well I just sent my first karma very exciting....I think its sad that I've already post 100 times and Ive only been on here a couple of weeks. I guess you are right about being sheltered

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 5:21 pm

I am honored to be your first Karamel Action!  ;D

Back atchya  ;)

I can't say much about your making a hundred posts so quickly because lately I have been playing penguin quizzes and now average something like 30+ posts a day :o  I hit 2000 posts around Thanksgiving and look at my total now!  8)

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/30/07 at 9:33 pm

My favorite J.J. song has not been mentioned yet - "Come back to me", and please tell me this isn't another of those "songs you thought someone else sang".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/30/07 at 9:44 pm

My favorite is Black Cat. I like that she sounds like a hardass on that song. lol!

Written By: lemonverbina on 12/04/07 at 9:53 am

Class of 1984, what ruins that song for me..is when she does the crying at the end..or somewhere in the song...

Written By: Class of 84 on 12/07/07 at 8:40 pm

Class of 1984, what ruins that song for me..is when she does the crying at the end..or somewhere in the song...

I never noticed any crying. She speaks softly in a place, but that would be a turn off if she was crying...

Check for new replies or respond here...