inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Video Poll: Controversial Videos

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 4:41 pm

My choice: Niel Young "This Note's For You"...though most of these videos are great.  8)

Subject: Re: Music Video Poll: Controversial Videos

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/28/04 at 4:45 pm

i can't remember where i seen the video but the video for 'twilight zone' by golden earring had a topless woman in it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/04 at 4:45 pm

From the poll:
Duran Duran

Others I'd pick:
David Bowie: China Girl
Malcolm McLaren: Madame Butterfly

Written By: Cheetara on 04/28/04 at 5:06 pm

Frankie Goes To Hollywood  "Relax"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 5:17 pm

I chose "Girls On Film" followed ever so closely by Motley Crue....I used to like Neil Young until I saw him in concert a few months ago.....Horrible :P

Written By: JennParkandKyan on 04/28/04 at 5:21 pm

I want your sex

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 5:21 pm

"Twilight Zone" (Golden Earring) & "China Girl" (David Bowie) are also great videos.

I also like "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Culture Club.
Though I find it "controversial" because of the scene with the jurors with "black face", wich is  highly offensive, even for 1982.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/04 at 7:44 pm

Like a Prayer

Cat

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 04/28/04 at 10:48 pm

Frankie Goes To Hollywood!!!

I never understood why that version of the video was banned...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: stingr22 on 04/29/04 at 2:01 am

I remember the USA Network showing the unedited version of "Girls On Film" and making a big deal about it. 

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/29/04 at 8:13 am

There were 2 versions of video for that song (3 if you count the one from the movie Body Double). The banned one took place in a S&M club type thing...it's pretty graphic (especially for back then).

Is that the one you saw?

Frankie Goes To Hollywood!!!

I never understood why that version of the video was banned...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 04/29/04 at 8:21 am

There were 2 versions of video for that song (3 if you count the one from the movie Body Double). The banned one took place in a S&M club type thing...it's pretty graphic (especially for back then).

Is that the one you saw?

Yes it is. And I still don't understand why it was banned! I never noticed anything graphic about it. There were gay overtones, but that's it. I don't remember anything graphic.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/29/04 at 9:21 am

I guess by today's standards it wouldn't be as graphic. But they did have the S&M sequences and the simulated orgy scene at the end.
But even if it didn't have that stuff in it...I think the bondage/gay overtones were too much for MTV back then.  ::)
I actually have the video on my computer. I think 10 years from now it will be even less controversial.

Is that the one you saw?

Yes it is. And I still don't understand why it was banned! I never noticed anything graphic about it. There were gay overtones, but that's it. I don't remember anything graphic.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 04/29/04 at 9:50 am

I guess by today's standards it wouldn't be as graphic. But they did have the S&M sequences and the simulated orgy scene at the end.
But even if it didn't have that stuff in it...I think the bondage/gay overtones were too much for MTV back then.  ::)
I actually have the video on my computer. I think 10 years from now it will be even less controversial.

I think we have it somewhere too. But really...if they were going to ban that video, then they may as well have banned Depeche Mode's "Master & Servant" video for the chains, as well as the scenes with Alan Wilder and Martin Gore being dragged while hanging on to Andy Fletcher's ankles!

And there were certainly more controversial videos, like Duran Duran's "Girls On Film" (which was one of the choices but is NOT my favourite!). I remember renting a "best of" compilation video of Duran Duran when I was around 11 years old, and being extremely embarassed when it got to the "Girls On Film" video and there were all these naked women at the end. I don't remember if either of my parents saw, although my mum may have. Also, it may have tarnished my image of my favourite group at the time, but I eventually got over it. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/29/04 at 10:03 am

I agree there are definitely other controversial videos. And the "dirty" version of GoF is definitley a shocker.
I don't know how old I was when I saw the orginal, which was really tame compared to the un edited version. But I didn't see the uncut version until I was over 18 and by then I wasn't embarrased to see it as much as it was, well a shock.  :)

I think we have it somewhere too. But really...if they were going to ban that video, then they may as well have banned Depeche Mode's "Master & Servant" video for the chains, as well as the scenes with Alan Wilder and Martin Gore being dragged while hanging on to Andy Fletcher's ankles!

And there were certainly more controversial videos, like Duran Duran's "Girls On Film" (which was one of the choices but is NOT my favourite!). I remember renting a "best of" compilation video of Duran Duran when I was around 11 years old, and being extremely embarassed when it got to the "Girls On Film" video and there were all these naked women at the end. I don't remember if either of my parents saw, although my mum may have. Also, it may have tarnished my image of my favourite group at the time, but I eventually got over it. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Lanie on 04/30/04 at 6:44 pm

Duran Duran "Girls On Film" (Uncensored)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 12:11 pm

George Michael's I Want your Sex (though nothing to write home about) and 2 Live Crew's Me So Horny

Tanya

Written By: AnchorBay1986 on 08/03/04 at 8:27 pm

well don/t know if it made it too video but  lil louis french kiss long songbird version song  hot! i have it on cd but not sure if i can play it in my car , out in the public! i remember the clubs playing it  but then couldn't .  i also trying to find out anyone here knows?  laws about selling adult  dvds  if anyone? knows? now theres some contoversial scenes !   

Written By: Atari on 08/08/04 at 12:11 am

Romeo Void: Girl In Trouble.

Quite controversial in it's time. It turns out that all of the controversy gave this band their only "smash" hit (not counting the lesser successful single "Never Say Never").

Written By: Whisper on 08/28/04 at 2:23 pm

George Michael "I Want Your Sex"

Check for new replies or respond here...