inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst cartoons: '80's

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 6:46 pm

My choice: Scrappy Doo  :P From most Scooby Doo cartoons ("13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo", "Scooby Doo & Scrappy") in the 1980's.

Subject: Re: Worst cartoons: '80's

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/07/04 at 7:37 pm

Hey, does anyone remember "Saturday Supercade"? A full hour on CBS Saturday mornings dedicated to cartoons based on video games. For about 3 years I enjoyed watching the adventures of Frogger, Donkey Kong(Sr. & Jr.), Pitfall Harry, Q*Bert, & Kangaroo I couldn't get to the arcade that often, so at least these were fun to get into!

Written By: AL-B on 06/07/04 at 7:54 pm

I thought the G.I. Joe cartoons were really stupid. Here is a cartoon about war where NO ONE EVER DIES. I just loved their tactics. Basically both sides would line up about 10 feet apart from each other and just blast away. And no one would ever get hit. (Well, they might get nicked in the arm or leg once in a while.) G.I. Joe was supposed to be this elite fighting unit, yet apparently they never learned basic rifle marksmanship. No, both sides would blast away until one side (usually Cobra) would run out of ammo and surrender. And whenever a plane or helicopter was shot down, the pilot would always eject a split-second before his aircraft exploded. I understand that this is a kids program and the world is supposed to be nice and neat and wonderful and everything, but even as a kid I could never get past any of these basic flaws in logic, and I felt this show was very insulting to my intelligence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/04 at 8:46 pm

I thought the G.I. Joe cartoons were really stupid. Here is a cartoon about war where NO ONE EVER DIES. I just loved their tactics. Bascally both sides would line up about 10 feet apart from each other and just blast away. And no one would ever get hit. (Well, they might get nicked in the arm or leg once in a while.) G.I. Joe was supposed to be this elite fighting unit, yet apparently they never learned basic rifle marksmanship. No, both sides would blast away until (usually Cobra) would run out of ammo and surrender. And whenever a plane or helicopter was shot down, the pilot would always eject a split-second before his aircraft exploded. I understand that this is a kids program and the world is supposed to be nice and neat and wonderful and everything, but even as a kid I could never get past any of these basic flaws in logic, and I felt this show was very insulting to my intelligence.

LOL!  G.I. Joe was pro-military, anti-death, best of both worlds, eh?  The trouble is the moms of America would have hit the roof if their kid was watching innards an bits of flesh flying everywhere!
:P
I had the same critique of the "A-Team,"  The commie-terrorist's machine gun fire would hit everything except Mr. T (or B.A. Binaca, whatever his name was).

For annoying 'toon characters, I went with
(S)CRAPPY
other 'toons were more annoying, but I never liked them anyway.  I thought Scooby was cool, but then they had to wreck it with a cutesy puppy character.
>:(

Written By: sputnikcorp on 06/07/04 at 9:26 pm

i agree. i hated GI Joe for that. i wanted blood, not a message...oh, i voted scrappy doo.

Written By: AL-B on 06/07/04 at 9:58 pm

i agree. i hated GI Joe for that. i wanted blood, not a message...oh, i voted scrappy doo.
But now you know (and knowing is half the battle!!!)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 06/07/04 at 10:12 pm

;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/08/04 at 9:15 am

Other: The Oddball Couple

Written By: Lanie on 06/08/04 at 5:06 pm

I never particularly cared for Scrappy Doo.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 1:37 pm

Scrappy doo - I couldn't stand him

Tanya

Written By: Whisper on 08/01/04 at 1:20 pm

I always found The Littles to be quite annoying.  ::) :P

Written By: mr.smith s on 08/01/04 at 2:22 pm

can i hear a scrappy, scrappy, poo?

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 2:20 pm

Anyboady here of "The Get Along Gang". I don't remember much about it except it was all touchy feely and came after one of my favorite cartoons.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/06 at 2:32 pm

Scrappy Doo..... I loved how in the first Scooby Doo film, he was revelved to be the big bad guy.  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 06/06/06 at 8:28 pm

Scrappy Doo, the others on your list were supreme cartoons! Well they were then anyway.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/07/06 at 11:09 am

The one character I could never stand had to be Brainy smurf.  He had an irritating personality and grating voice. Most of the other smurfs were at least entertaining (especially Vanity, the affeminate get-up was hilarious!).  I always wished Gargamel and Azreal would take out Brainy permanently. 

The thing is everyone knows a Brainy type in real life.  We all have a relative, friend, coworker or aquaintance who has a personality exactly like Brainy who is a know it all, brown noser, ass-kisser type.

Written By: robby76 on 06/07/06 at 11:17 am

I hear ya with the Brainy Smurf thing... man he was annoying!

And I thought about Vanity the other week... it was quite progressive how they had him in the whole scheme of things.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/07/06 at 12:39 pm

Here is a brain twister for ya:

Hawk, the Slayer's Top 10 Worst Cartoon Characters (1980s)

10. Brainy Smurf ("Because Papa Smurf always says...")
9. Paw-Paw Bears (I can dig Native American cartoons, but BEARS???)
8. Monchichis (What the ^%#&*? is a Monchichi?!?!?)
7. Snorks (Underwater cartoons almost NEVER do well....)
6. Jonny Quest (Ever notice his mouth moved, but the rest of the face stayed frozen?)
5. Ookla the Mok (from "Thundarr, the Barbarian"- always sounded like someone in the bathroom)
4. Dr. Claw (from 'Inspector Gadget'- even in the last episode, you never saw him!!!!!)
3. Ghostbusters (Not "The REAL Ghostbusters"- that farcical parody that employed a gorilla!)
2. Hammerman (MC Hammer should never have even attempted this!)
AND! Hawk's Most Annoying/Cheesy/Worst Cartoon Character
!. Michael Jackson

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/07/06 at 3:02 pm

Of those you listed that I can remember, I'd say Care Bears. It's not a bad cartoon, necessarily, but it's completely lacking in any dramatic tension. My favourite cartoon characters when I was little were typically the villains, and I found the villains on Care Bears to be too ineffectual to be interesting... Well, DarkHeart was pretty cool, but he completely disappears from the cartoon after a while and gets replaced by the much less scary, more obnoxious Screechy.

I LOVED Gummie Bears and The Smurfs though! :D

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/07/06 at 4:46 pm

"Ta-ta-ta-TUT-ta-ta! Puh-uppy Power!"
:o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/07/06 at 5:57 pm

Off hand.... I didn't care for My Little Pony or The Care Bears.

Written By: robby76 on 06/07/06 at 9:03 pm

9. Paw-Paw Bears (I can dig Native American cartoons, but BEARS???)
8. Monchichis (What the ^%#&*? is a Monchichi?!?!?)

I loved the PawPaws and the Monchichis!  ;D Oh well at least they weren't in your Top 5.

By the way, is your Michael Jackson cartoon the Jackson 5 one?

Written By: KKay on 06/07/06 at 9:05 pm

wow..they all suck, but Scrappy Doo was the worst.

man, that is a sad and scary list!!!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/08/06 at 2:16 am

I loved the PawPaws and the Monchichis!  ;D Oh well at least they weren't in your Top 5.

By the way, is your Michael Jackson cartoon the Jackson 5 one?

I believe Michael Jackson qualifies as the world's only "living cartoon" character.
See his "Black Or White" video, and his "Moonwalker" film.
Doesn't that qualify?????

Written By: woops on 06/08/06 at 11:51 pm

"Mr. T" cartoon

Never heard of it until I saw in during the dusk on Cartoon Network  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...