inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video Games of the 80's

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/28/04 at 10:51 pm

I voted Mrs. Pac Man

Subject: Re: Video Games of the 80's

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 04/28/04 at 11:12 pm

TETRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

...With Pac Man a close second. :) I'm addicted to those two. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: stingr22 on 04/29/04 at 2:11 am

Centipede.  I used to use many quarters/tokens on that game!  8)

Written By: Bobby on 04/29/04 at 4:42 am

Mario! He was in the 80s with the NES, wasn't he? Regardless, I chose him.  :)

Written By: JennParkandKyan on 04/29/04 at 8:58 am

Mario Bros

Written By: Cheetara on 04/29/04 at 9:19 am

Mrs. Pac Man  ;D

Written By: 1992thousand on 04/29/04 at 12:01 pm

Kung-Fu  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 04/29/04 at 6:51 pm

This may be a somewhat obscure choice, but Nintendo had a coin-op version of "Super Punch-Out" that I really liked back then. Also, anyone remember "Zaxxon?" That was another one I thought was cool.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/04 at 8:26 pm

Pac Man!

Howard

Written By: krakboi on 04/29/04 at 8:40 pm

Now you guys are speaking my language.  Joust is probably my all time favorite.

If you want to check out my 80s arcade game collection, visit www.krakboi.com

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/29/04 at 9:17 pm

galaga/galaxian was just an updated space invaders but i loved those games.

i spent many precious hours also playing qix and battlezone.

Written By: NbC on 04/30/04 at 5:19 am

Galaga

Then Pac-Man then Centipede!!!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/30/04 at 7:13 am

Qix 

and

Q-Bert

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/30/04 at 8:35 am

I CAN"T BELIEVE I FORGOT THAT ONE!  :o My parents bought an actual arcade sized Joust game at one point.

Now you guys are speaking my language.  Joust is probably my all time favorite.

If you want to check out my 80s arcade game collection, visit www.krakboi.com

Written By: Lanie on 04/30/04 at 6:17 pm

Mrs. Pac Man :D

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/14/04 at 1:33 am

I chose ET closely followed by Empire Strikes back and Asteroids

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/18/04 at 9:34 pm

Don't forget Zaxon (sp?)  I was the King at that one!

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/19/04 at 6:09 am

Robotron 2084, Qix, Q-bert & Pole Position II. 8)

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/19/04 at 10:11 am

Pac Man!

Written By: ferrisb on 05/19/04 at 1:41 pm

I voted for Pac Man cos I played the newer 3D version that is available now.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 1:15 pm

Ms. PacMan was more fun that Pacman.

Tanya

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 4:06 pm

other:  Double Dragon is my all-time favourite 80's video game.  It came out in 1987.  Such fun I had playing it :)

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/D/zDouble_Dragon.png

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 6:10 pm

Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, and a few not mentioned here...Time Pilot and Bosconian.
And I forgot to mention FOOD FIGHT!

Written By: Skippy on 11/27/05 at 6:34 pm

I chose Tempest, some of my other faves were Zaxxon, Xenon, Pole Position, Battlezone, Galaga, And Galaxion

Written By: GREEN67 on 11/28/05 at 5:25 am

8)  Personally I liked Tempest and Galaga...with Centipede coming next......anyone else just about to have a cornarary when the PEDE started coming SOOOO fast...I used to freak!!!LOL....

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/28/05 at 10:16 am

OK this a bad question to ask me because i'm fanatical about 80s arcade games & that's all i play even still to this very day & i could list almost 100 that really i love & i have 1000s. From that list i would say Galaga & for one from the early 80s that is not on the list i'd say Frogger because it was the beginning of my addiction & the very 1st arcade machine (besides pinball) i ever played & that was the same year that Frogger had just come out. I think arcade of the late 80s was at it's pinacle though, before digitised graphics like like Mortal Kombat in the 90s & before 3D graphics like Tekken & the ones from now which i hate. Most of the late 80s ones a truely my all time favourites. Here is a list of mid to late 80s ones i loved to death & in no particular order:

*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
*Golden Axe
*Vigilante
*Crime Fighters (Jap version with gay enemies was a crack up)
*Double Dragon
*Dragonninja / Bad Dudes VS Dragoninja
*Final Fight
*Rolling Thunder
*Operation Wolf
*P.O.W. - Prisoners Of War
*R-Type I & II
*Rampage
*Shinobi
*Shadow Dancer
*Superman
*Thunderblade
*After Burner
*Altered Beast
*Outrun
*Time Soldiers
*Willow
*Wonderboy 1 & 2
*Ninja Gaiden
*Ninja Warriors
*Robocop
*Batman (based on Tim Burton 1989 fim)
*Alien Storm
*Gang Wars
*Gouls N Ghosts
*Ghosts N Goblins
*Gauntlet I & II
*Haunted Castle
*Midnight Resistance
*Mug Smashers
*Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker
*Narc
*Strider
*Truxton
*Chase HQ
I'm sure there are a few i've left out but let's just leave it at that.

Written By: Tia on 11/28/05 at 11:06 am

ghosts n goblins was such a great game. i played it recently but i can't remember where i saw it. there are a few retro coin-ops around...

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/28/05 at 2:13 pm

This may be a somewhat obscure choice, but Nintendo had a coin-op version of "Super Punch-Out" that I really liked back then. Also, anyone remember "Zaxxon?" That was another one I thought was cool.

Zaxxon was awesome!  My favorite games EVER are:  Boulder Dash for Atari 130XE, Super Mario Bros 1,2,3 for NES, Qbert, Frogger, Empire Strikes Back, Pitfall, and Coconuts for Atari 5200.  Many many more brought me hours of enjoyment but those I listed hold a special place in my memories.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/28/05 at 5:59 pm

8)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/28/05 at 6:02 pm

There was one arcade game I could never get the hang of how to play it and succeed...DEFENDER! Am I the only one who thinks Defender is hard to get the hang of?

Written By: The_Plague on 11/29/05 at 6:18 am

Golden Axe was mad for its time, I regularly play it either on PC or on the Master System to this day.

Double Dragon was one that really kicked off my addiction to video games (albeit an addiction thats kinda of over now) I remember they had one at the Pizza Hut (also now gone) near me, I remember the huge rush i got when I finished it (cos I was about 5 years old)

I loved Space Harrier though, man that was trippy, for innovation though, Zaxxon was ahead of its time.

Written By: GREEN67 on 11/29/05 at 9:51 am

Gawd, Centipede ruled! I would get my initials on the 'top scoring' screen EVERY TIME I played...at almost EVERY arcade I played at!
Atari tried to capitalize on Centipede's success with

Written By: banshee on 11/30/05 at 7:15 pm

Now this brings back memories. I probably lost years of my youth on those blasted video games. My moms youngest brother and sister  (who are only 6-7 years older than me, and still living with my grandparents) and I both had Atari 2600's, and collected almost every game there was between us. Once one of us had beaten the game that we had just gotten, we swapped games with each other so we wouldn't buy the same games. Now on to the main topic. I would have to say my all time fav. was Metroid on the original NES. What a blast, then to find out Samus was a female! Next would have to be Bubble Bobble. My mom and I spent all of our free time on this one 'till we won it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 9:09 pm

On the NES, and on various Game Boy versions....TETRIS! TETRIS is addictive. I used to stay up until the wee hours of the morning just playing Tetris on my housemate's boyfriend's NES.

Today I'm addicted to the Game Boy Advance version of 80's game "Time Pilot"!

Written By: Red Ant on 11/30/05 at 10:10 pm

Double Dragon was awesome, other favorites included a WWF wrestling arcade game whos full name escapes me at the moment, Mike Tyson's Punch Out (that may have been 90s).

Earliest one was Yars Revenge on Atari, I played that game until my hands were practically frozen to those ergonomic atrocities known as Atari joysticks. I lost only because my hands literally wouldn't move anymore.

My favorite 80s game was on Sega Genesis called "Phantasy Star II", which was way ahead of its time I thought. Of course since it cost me nearly 85$ after tax it should have been good!

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 10:50 pm

Double Dragon was awesome, other favorites included a WWF wrestling arcade game whos full name escapes me at the moment, Mike Tyson's Punch Out (that may have been 90s).

Earliest one was Yars Revenge on Atari, I played that game until my hands were practically frozen to those ergonomic atrocities known as Atari joysticks. I lost only because my hands literally wouldn't move anymore.

My favorite 80s game was on Sega Genesis called "Phantasy Star II", which was way ahead of its time I thought. Of course since it cost me nearly 85$ after tax it should have been good!

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out came out in 1987.  Such a great game.  I used to be able to knock almost every boxer out in the first round :)

Could that WWF game be WWF Superstars?  In the end, you went up against Ted DiBiase and Andre the Giant

Written By: Acidpiss on 12/01/05 at 4:58 pm

Krakboi you have probably the coolest hobby in the world. Probably very expensive as well.

I was just relating a story to a friend about how I went Christmas shopping at the local mall last week and saw a tiny little arcade. I went in to check it out and they only had maybe 10-12 games, and they were all more recent-type games to boot.

It's sad how far the mighty video arcade has fallen.

Written By: AFTERSHOCK on 12/01/05 at 5:23 pm

Originally, Pac-Man.

Then, Tempest.

Finally, I loved Tron. I wish I had the actual stand-up game from back then. I could play that thing for hours.

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/05 at 6:22 pm

ARCADE

I loved Elevator Action, Paper Boy and Outrun

Atari
space invaders
asteroids
super breakout

Nintendo
Punch Out
Paper boy
Burger Time
Kid Icarus
What year was Legend of Zelda released? B/C that is high on my list and Super Mario too!

Written By: Skippy on 12/02/05 at 10:33 pm

What year was Legend of Zelda released? B/C that is high on my list and Super Mario too!

My cartridge is dated 1985. It is a gold plated cart.

Written By: Ensoul on 12/02/05 at 11:09 pm

Space invaders. Dragons lair and punch out. Super mario brothers, punch out and double dribble were some of my favorites.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/06/05 at 7:48 pm

I guess I'm the only person here who remembers "Time Pilot", "Food Fight" or "Bosconian"....
How about "Dragon's Lair" with its cartoon-style animation?
And I also remember "Spy Hunter"...

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/05 at 10:30 pm

Mike Tyson's Punch Out for the NES was a great game.  I used to be so good at it, I could K.O. or T.K.O. everyone in the first round except for Mr. Sandman

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 12:32 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Kryllith on 12/07/05 at 8:03 am

If we're talking about any 80s arcade game (which I'm guessing we are, since things like Archon, Ultima, and the like are missing) then I'll have to go with a laser disc game (ala Dragon's Lair) called Cobra Command. If we're going for more basic graphical based games, I'd say either Mat Mania, Ikari Warriors (or the spinoff Victory Road), or the big multi-player games of the time like Gauntlet.

Kryllith

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/05 at 8:25 pm

Anyone remember the classic Arcade game P.O.W. - Prisoners of War?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/05 at 10:42 pm

There was this upright arcade game called GORF, it was excellent. and Mr. DO

Written By: Tia on 12/08/05 at 10:09 am

i remember gorf and mr. do. gorf was a galaxian rip as i recall, and mr. do was all donkey-kongish?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/08/05 at 10:19 am

Yeah, Gorf had a galaxians scene as one of the progressive challenges to make it to the final with  the mother flagship, if you shot thru to  the core it blew up.  Mr Do was cool in that you could actually win a free replay. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/05 at 10:21 am

I did play Pac Man back then and the only game I have mastered is Tetris.

Written By: bruce on 12/21/05 at 9:54 pm

GALAGA is the alltime best followed by frogger  Does anyone remember the arcade vidio game JUMPBUG  where you took a VW bugthru different stages including tops of buildings  and under water  I only ever remember seeing this game in one place (a little bar in my hometown) we used to play the hell out of that game  .BUt for pinball nothin beat the BLACK NIGHT

Written By: rip_jeans on 12/23/05 at 12:43 am

There was one arcade game I could never get the hang of how to play it and succeed...DEFENDER! Am I the only one who thinks Defender is hard to get the hang of?

OMG! Defender rules! I believe there were 6 digits to that game (points wise) . I remember 1 time I spent 5 or 6 hours playing the same game and reached 999999 points and finally "flipping it" back to 000000 points!

My other favorite games of the 80's would be:

Donkey Kong Jr
Pitfall
Street Racer
Street Fighter
Frogger

Written By: TheRemf on 12/23/05 at 2:19 am

Other - Battlezone

I got pretty good at getting the enemy tanks and flying saucers.  It took awhile to learn to dodge the missiles, though.

Written By: migi on 12/23/05 at 6:10 am

I have to say I liked mostly the newer ones like....Karate champ, The Gauntlet, The Goonies, Super Mario Bros., Paperboy....there are so many. Then there was one Wrestling game which was great 'cos you could have been throwed out of the ring...I just don't remember the name, but I think it was made around 1985-1987

Written By: OliverDK on 12/28/05 at 8:26 am

My favorite arcadia game was "Dragon's Lair" but I had an Amiga 500 in the late 80s, and I LOVED "Silent Service"

Written By: migi on 12/29/05 at 2:31 am

My favorite arcadia game was "Dragon's Lair" but I had an Amiga 500 in the late 80s, and I LOVED "Silent Service"

Yes, it was a submarine game wasn't it. I had it too.

Written By: OliverDK on 12/29/05 at 10:04 am

Yes, it was a submarine game wasn't it. I had it too.

Yes, you commanded a USN sub in the Pacific during WWII, which might be why I loved that game, WWII have always been my biggest interest, apparently there exists a PC version titled "Silent Hunter" but the one I've seen with that title was WWIII scenario.

Written By: Skippy on 12/31/05 at 12:39 am

Yes, you commanded a USN sub in the Pacific during WWII, which might be why I loved that game, WWII have always been my biggest interest, apparently there exists a PC version titled "Silent Hunter" but the one I've seen with that title was WWIII scenario.

If it's a PC game you're looking for, you might check out "Aces of the Deep", a 90's simulation by Sierra/Dynamix. I do believe "Silent Service" was ported to the PC at one time. http://www.the-underdogs.org/ has oodles of old games, might be worth checking. I think they have the "Silent Service" PC port.

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/05 at 12:44 am

There was one arcade wrestling game I really enjoyed called "Wrestle War".  When you got your opponents energy down real low, you could give him a super mid-air pile driver, or you could submerge him in a back break hold and get bonus points

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/05 at 1:58 am

I'd have to say Pac-Man was my favorite, even though I was more into Galaxian at the time.  My interest in actually playing video games was pretty fleeting.  I didn't get into another video game until my love affair with Doom in the early '90s!
My younger brother was into video games from the get-go.  He still is.  He's pretty good at most of them.

Check for new replies or respond here...