inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Depeche Mode Albums

Written By: Rush on 05/03/04 at 7:58 pm

I'm going for Black Celebration which is my favourite out of these!

Subject: Re: Depeche Mode Albums

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/03/04 at 9:48 pm

Hello Rush,

I picked Some Great Reward. I think I wore that CD out! :D I also listen to Ultra and Violator alot too!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/03/04 at 10:10 pm

Since I could only pick one, I chose Black Celebration, but Some Great Reward is tied with it.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/04 at 12:12 am

Since I could only pick one, I chose Black Celebration, but Some Great Reward is tied with it.

Absolutely Vile

I agree with you there.  Also, Construction Time Again, with its ecological-awareness theme is often overlooked.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/04/04 at 6:27 am

on the list it would be black celebration. but my fave is violator.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/04/04 at 8:30 am

I agree with you there.  Also, Construction Time Again, with its ecological-awareness theme is often overlooked.

I find Construction Time Again a rather weak album, with the exception of "Everything Counts" (one of my favourite songs) and "Two Minute Warning." A Broken Frame, however, is VERY underrated! It's not a bad album at all! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Cheetara on 05/04/04 at 12:19 pm

...hands down....  Black Celebration      ;D

Written By: redhead007 on 05/04/04 at 5:00 pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but Music for the Masses is my favorite 80s one from them. Except for Pimpf, I love the whole album.

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 05/04/04 at 5:29 pm

Well, I'm going to go with Some Great Reward but it ties with Black Celebration. They are both great albums!!

Rio

Written By: Hairspray on 05/04/04 at 10:15 pm

Some Great Reward

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/04 at 9:16 am

I'm probably in the minority here, but Music for the Masses is my favorite 80s one from them. Except for Pimpf, I love the whole album.

Me too, except I love the instrumental PIMPF!  But the version PFMIP on the Strangelove single is even better.
:)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/05/04 at 12:02 pm

The worst album:      Speak and Spell

I love DM no matter what... ;D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/05/04 at 8:54 pm

The worst album:      Speak and Spell

I love DM no matter what... ;D

Oh, Speak & Spell isn't all that bad. It's a great album, musically! It's just that Vince Clarke couldn't write lyrics to save his life at the time! (He got better as time went on.) Martin's one song with lyrics ("Tora! Tora! Tora!") is excellent of course. However, I didn't care much for his instrumental, "Big Muff." :)

I actually like the UK release of the album better because it has the REAL "Just Can't Get Enough" and slower intro version of "New Life." Plus, instead of "Dreaming Of Me," it's got a better song on it: "I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead." GREAT song! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 9:41 pm

Speak and Spell....which is what today's Americans need to do MUCH better

Written By: woops on 05/06/04 at 2:39 am

"Some Great Reward"  8)

"Black Celebration" is also a good album.

Written By: Henk on 01/10/12 at 6:30 am

Poll's still open, and I hadn't voted yet, so hey... ::)

Music For The Masses, hands down. With Black Celebration coming in second.

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/12 at 8:02 am

I chose 'A Broken Frame'.  For some strange reason, I find when you listen to that album at night, it has a better effect.  'Leave in Silence' and 'the Meaning of Love' are FANTASTIC!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/10/12 at 10:53 am

"Some Great Reward" was my very first DM album, and it is what made me fall in love with them.  Gotta go with that one.

Written By: Midas on 01/10/12 at 12:00 pm

Black Celebration

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/11/12 at 9:16 pm

"Some Great Reward" was my very first DM album, and it is what made me fall in love with them.  Gotta go with that one.

What she said.  Was a tossup between that and Music for the Masses.  I respect Black Celebration for bringing it all together, but judging from the number of times I've replayed them over the past 20+ years, the singles from SGR and MftM are the ones I keep coming back to.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/12 at 10:07 pm

"Black Celebration" is still my favorite.  '86 was the peak year for my Depeche mania.  The Black Celebration Tour kicked off in Boston at the Orpheum on June 1st and I was there for it!
8)

I'm pretty sure the first Depeche Mode song I heard was "Get the Balance Right" on MTV.  That would have been spring 1983. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GpWJDmU3Bg

The damn shame is the band got embarrassed about the ABF period videos.  They don't really jibe with the ultra-slick sexed-up DM of the later eighties.  In the early eighties the band had kind of a Monkees thing going on.  They played roller disco and ice cream parlor in Britain.  They took every gig on the Beeb they could get.  In other words, they worked for it.  What looks like a bunch of silly kids running around in lab coats is the band that built "Personal Jesus."  However, DM refused to include videos like "Get the Balance Right" on their DVD collections.  IMO, the band should be proud of what they achieved here.  Besides, early Depeche Mode videos are fun!

I chose 'A Broken Frame'.  For some strange reason, I find when you listen to that album at night, it has a better effect.  'Leave in Silence' and 'the Meaning of Love' are FANTASTIC!

ABF is particularly good for that.  If you get spaced out really late at night, songs like "Monument" and "Satellite" are totally trippy!

What she said.  Was a tossup between that and Music for the Masses.  I respect Black Celebration for bringing it all together, but judging from the number of times I've replayed them over the past 20+ years, the singles from SGR and MftM are the ones I keep coming back to.

The b-sides and remixes were a stepping off point for Einstürzende Neubauten, which, in turn was a stepping off point for Iannis Xenakis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-Z9VVDvoI

Written By: Henk on 01/12/12 at 8:32 am

Black Celebration

"Black Celebration" is still my favorite.  '86 was the peak year for my Depeche mania.  The Black Celebration Tour kicked off in Boston at the Orpheum on June 1st and I was there for it!
8)

I've often felt like Black Celebration could be the soundtrack to the ultimate 1980's movie. Or, indeed, a movie on its own.

Written By: Stinkyy on 01/13/12 at 6:46 pm

I never owned any of the early ones, only the compliation album 101.  Recently picked up Construction Time Again - let's just say it was different!

Ever since I heard 101 as a live recording, which was one of my first CDs (sets) ever, I always wanted to see them live and never thought I'd get the chance.  Finally did so about a year and a half ago, it was unforgettable.

Written By: midnite on 01/13/12 at 11:12 pm

A Broken Frame is my favorite.  Leave in silence, my secret garden, see you.  Good stuff..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/12 at 11:31 pm

I never owned any of the early ones, only the compliation album 101.  Recently picked up Construction Time Again - let's just say it was different!

Ever since I heard 101 as a live recording, which was one of my first CDs (sets) ever, I always wanted to see them live and never thought I'd get the chance.  Finally did so about a year and a half ago, it was unforgettable.

CTA uses a lot of electroacoustically processed sounds. It's also their most overtly political album.  Great stuff!
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...