inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most MEMORABLE 80s year for YOU!!

Written By: Cheetara on 05/05/04 at 4:49 pm

List the best and worst year for YOU of the 80s

Best: 1984:    I first discovered Depeche Mode's music in the spring of 1984.  It was the best time of my childhood.  I spent a lot of time with my great-grandmother (whom I loved dearly).  She's now deceased.  She will always be my role model.   I had a huge crush on Martin L Gore.  I was a virgin and yet I wanted that man more than anything in the world!!!! :D  I had good friends in school.  I was happy.   ;D 

Worst:  1989:  When I lost my great-grandmother. :(

Thanks for sharing...

Subject: Re: Most MEMORABLE 80s year for YOU!!

Written By: Bobby on 05/05/04 at 4:53 pm

Hmm! A toss up between 1984 and 1986 - I'll go with 1984. I was five, went to my first birthday and Christmas party, enjoyed school and stayed out biking with mates. I remember big parts of that year with fondness.  :)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/05/04 at 4:58 pm

Very cool Bobby ;D Yup!  The 80s rocked!

Written By: Bobby on 05/05/04 at 5:33 pm

Very cool Bobby ;D Yup!  The 80s rocked!

Indeed they did. For me it was the age of innocence when everything was experimental and curiosity, there were no hang-ups or insecurities.  :)

I'm very sorry to read that your great-grandmother had died during the late 80s. It is awful when you lose your role-models. You will read that in your 90s thread.  :(  :)

Written By: Paul on 05/05/04 at 5:43 pm

That was the year I escaped from school...

Started bringing home a wage (as my employer laughingly called it...)

And done something else, which I won't go into here - but I'm sure everyone's mucky little imaginations will run riot...!!

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/05/04 at 5:49 pm

Looking back they were all the best. But 84 was both great and bad.  I partied all the time, RATT came out with Out Of The Cellar. I had the best of friends. The bad, I quit school in the 12th grade, I was failing anyway. The only year I ever came close to failing. Joined the Army and six weekes later I was home again. Bad feet.  I finally went on to get my G.E.D. and a degree from computer school.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: Hairspray on 05/05/04 at 11:22 pm

Best: 1984 - Too many reasons why. ;)

Worst: 1989 - The decade ended. :\'(

Written By: scarletgail on 05/06/04 at 1:12 am

best 1989 saw some of the best concerts, pink floyd, rolling stones, bon jovi
worst hmmm must have blocked it out can't think of it :-\\

Written By: Lanie on 05/06/04 at 1:32 am

I loved the 80's as a whole but I guess I would have to say 1984 to be the best. I spent most of my time with my 2 cousins. We spent alot of time at their house talking about our favorite things(Duran Duran being one of them ;)) and just having a blast! :) I'd say the worst was 1989 but I would rather not say what for. :-[

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/06/04 at 6:43 am

It would be a tossup between 82 and first half of 83.  I first started going out to clubs in 82 and worked full time.  I was having a blast! I met the love of my life in 83, but sadly he died very young and very suddenly around mid-year.  84 was the worst because I was still dealing with his death and alot of other crap I was going through at the time.  The rest of the decade was ok.

Written By: maddog on 05/06/04 at 7:09 am

Best - 1982.
I went to university and sampled all the delights of life away from home and parents  ;).

Worst - 1986
ejected into the real world and forced to work for a living :(.

Written By: eightiesfan on 05/06/04 at 7:59 am

The best years of the 80's for me were 1987 - that was the year I officially reached upperclassmen status in high school and didn't feel like such a geek - plus some really cool music and movies came out that year.

After that I would say 1989 because of course that's when I graduated from high school! 8)

Written By: jaytee on 05/06/04 at 8:16 am

Best 1984 the year I got married.

Worst 1985 the year my sister died  :\'(

Sort of spoilt the next few years for me until 1988 when I gave birth to our first child, Elizabeth :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 11:08 am

1984-It started with me having an apartment in downtown Colorado Springs. I was laid off from my job in May so I moved to Denver to spend the Summer at my Sisters house....she needed me to baby-sit my nephew and neice. I would drive 60 miles to the Springs every Thursday night to play basketball with my friends, returning to Denver by 11pm or so. I met a girl from the Springs and we spent that Summer together...she left me for another guy in late August (I wasn't into drugs...he got her started)...Next I would have to say I had a nervous breakdown...I left Denver and spent until the end of the year living in my CAR...In early '85 I moved to Arizona where I found my now ex wife that I had met in 1982 in Utah...but THAT is not the most memorable year for me....maybe I'll bore you with more at a later time :-\\

Written By: Cheetara on 05/06/04 at 12:21 pm

@Jaytee:  So sorry to hear about your sister's passing... :(

@RockandRollFan:  In 1993-1994 I lived in Colorado Springs.  I loved it!  I had got an apartment off post (Ft. Carson).  I got a place on Airport Road. 

Written By: onaree on 05/06/04 at 12:30 pm

It would be 88-89.  It was my freshman year of high school.  It was the best year I was there. 

Written By: I_love_Miami_Vice on 05/09/04 at 6:51 pm

It definitely was the Spring of 1984 and then 1985, everytyhing was good then, the fashions, music...Miami Vice had just started, thus revolutionizing the way we looked at television series, I met the love of my life then, they were the GREATEST years of my life and if there was a Time Machine I would, without blinking, set it to take me back there and stay there forever!!!,....Now I am deeply depressed, I should not have talked about those swell times!.....  :\'(

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/04 at 6:57 pm

1984-It started with me having an apartment in downtown Colorado Springs. I was laid off from my job in May so I moved to Denver to spend the Summer at my Sisters house....she needed me to baby-sit my nephew and neice. I would drive 60 miles to the Springs every Thursday night to play basketball with my friends, returning to Denver by 11pm or so. I met a girl from the Springs and we spent that Summer together...she left me for another guy in late August (I wasn't into drugs...he got her started)...Next I would have to say I had a nervous breakdown...I left Denver and spent until the end of the year living in my CAR...In early '85 I moved to Arizona where I found my now ex wife that I had met in 1982 in Utah...but THAT is not the most memorable year for me....maybe I'll bore you with more at a later time :-\\

I really am sorry to hear that you have gone through this turmoil, RocknRollfan. I'm glad that despite going through these tribulations, you have overcome them or at least coming to terms with them.

Hey, you're not boring us. I talk about myself all the time.  ;)

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/09/04 at 10:14 pm

I was a baby and a child back then... but I'll give it a shot.

1987:  NINTENDO!!!!!!!  This was when I got to play the 8-bit Nintendo system for the first time.  The first game I played was Duck Hunt, which my parents and brother also loved.  What followed was a real love of the entertainment format that still goes on to this day.

1988:  My grandmother dies.  The first time one of my relatives passed away in my memorable lifetime.  My grandpa(from my dad's side) died before I knew him.

I can't think of anything else really, but I tried.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 05/10/04 at 2:18 am

84 Cause I got to leave the BLEEP-hole. !985 19yrs old....legal drinking age here!!
God lyk!

Written By: bj26 on 05/10/04 at 11:32 am

1980 - when my odyssey began.

Written By: Cheetara on 05/10/04 at 12:15 pm

@Chrisrj:  Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing.  :( 

Just by reading everybody's replies...there is NO doubt in my mind that the 80s ruled!

Written By: hoogbest on 05/29/04 at 5:10 pm

Every year of 80s was great for me because my daughter (only child) was in Middle and High School so I vicariously enjoyed that life through her.  She. her Mom I were and still are very close PLUS we encourage her to entertain in our home so we got to meet and enjoy a ton of her friends and classmates.  She was a varsity athlete and great student so all in all the 80s were super......so were the 90s as she finished up high school and college!

Written By: Louise Mcquade on 05/29/04 at 6:30 pm

1987: When I was Born YAY!!!  :D

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 05/30/04 at 4:00 am

1986 was a good year as that was the year I divorced from my first wife. 

1987 was just as good as that was the year I met my current wife.

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/30/04 at 9:28 am

1989.  day i graduated high school.    last year of the eighties.  The Berlin Wall Comes Down after 28 Years.  The Cure comes out with Pictures of You.

Written By: zac on 05/30/04 at 11:04 am

...'84  was the year I turned 21.        Happy Memories.    :D

Written By: gemini61 on 05/30/04 at 3:35 pm

1982--The year my first daughter was born :)
1988--The year my second daughter was born :)

Written By: Jim TX on 05/31/04 at 8:37 am

An interesting reflection:

How come that 1984 was THE "classical" year of the 1980s? Look at earlier replies, look at what everyone experienced, look at world events, look at the music, look at EVERYTHING... was 1984 the year that everything eighties blended perfectly?

Have a nice day!
Jim Roberts

Written By: zac on 05/31/04 at 9:30 am

Sorry to hear that things weren't so great, hopefully you had some good times as well. Your stories are not a bore.  ;)

Written By: Marian on 06/01/04 at 2:43 pm

That was the year I escaped from school...

Started bringing home a wage (as my employer laughingly called it...)

And done something else, which I won't go into here - but I'm sure everyone's mucky little imaginations will run riot...!!
8) 8) 8)I graduated from high school in 1983 too.It was also the year the Everly Brothers got back tigether!Cheers!

Written By: gg80s on 06/02/04 at 9:15 am

discovered Phoebe Cates... need I say more...

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/02/04 at 9:39 am

An interesting reflection:

How come that 1984 was THE "classical" year of the 1980s? Look at earlier replies, look at what everyone experienced, look at world events, look at the music, look at EVERYTHING... was 1984 the year that everything eighties blended perfectly?

Have a nice day!
Jim Roberts

1984 was definately "the 80's" more then any other year.  If someone was too young to remember 1984 or '85, then they never really knew the real 1980's.  I was young myself back then, but I remember it.  The pop cultural atmosphere was electric around 1984.

My favorite year from the 80's my own personal experiences was hands down 1988.  I remember being a kid and just chillin' with my friends in the Late 80's.  I was a slightly older kid around 12 or 13, so I enjoyed a more mature life, but I was still a child and able to take part in kid activities.  Life was good and everything was stable.

The worst year for me was probably 1986.  I was obviously younger and had a lot of problems in school around that time.

Best year for pop culture was clearly 1984.  My life wasn't all that great as a child, but the cool music, movies, and TV shows helped me get through it all.

Written By: Class of 84 on 06/08/04 at 8:43 pm

Isn't that a coincidence, but I would definitly vote 1984 as the best year of the 80's.  Many personal reasons include the year I graduated from high school, my senior trip, fell in love with my wife of 16 years, the last lazy summer of no responsibilities, watching every movie that hit the screen, listening to the best year in music, went off to college, friends, ahh.........

Written By: Tiamat on 10/17/07 at 12:33 am

Best years... 1984 was a good year. I just graduated high school and moved away from home and roomed with a punker I met at a concert. First time away from home and partied and attended concerts all the time. But had to move back home after money started to run out. That was bad.

I would say the most fun would be 1988-89. Heavy into the club scene and spending more than I earned. My wake up call was around 1990 when my partying interfered with my employment and lost a good job. Had financial problems most of my mid/late 20's. But now in my 40's and successful. Some of us made a lot of bad decisions in our early 20's that seemed to linger around for years. Took me years to dig out of that hole.

Written By: ninny on 10/17/07 at 12:29 pm

1989 my son was born & I got married.

Written By: 80sforever on 10/17/07 at 12:32 pm

Worst: 1984 I moved from my hometown to Santa Fe, NM <-- Hated the place (sorry to those from NM)

Best: 1985 Moving home!!!! And Amy Grant's Unguarded coming out

Written By: jelita00 on 10/20/07 at 1:18 am

1982 : Got a vision that someone out there 'waiting ' for me ( www.thegutekunst.cjb.net) .. this led me to 11yrs prayers  (finally I found him on 2000 and marry him)
1988 :My mom passed away in April, I found the real love (JC ) later that year! yipeeeeeeeeee..

1984-89 : I was into dancing (group), aerobic competition, band (vocal), theatre.. I enjoyed my teens life.. but enjoy more now then ever!
Love all love songs in the 80's though.. LOL..

Written By: Brigitte on 10/20/07 at 8:56 am

1984 I graduated from high school!
1988 we hosted the Winter Olympics, the city was boomin'!

I can't really think of a bad year in the 80's

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/20/07 at 11:00 am

1984 and 1985

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/20/07 at 7:37 pm

For me it was 1984-1986, 1988-1989.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/02/07 at 8:13 pm

Let's see best year:

A toss up between 1984 and 1986.

1984 because that was a banner year for my fave singers--Michael Jackson taking over with Thrillermania and Prince with Purple Rain.

and 1986 because that was the year I was born! (I picked 84, because I think it was the best year, even though I wasn't born yet. (Can I do that?  ;D )

The worst year was probably 1989, because the best decade EVER ended!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/04/07 at 4:07 pm

^ good thread to bump, Apollonia :0)

I would have to say 1982 seemed pretty cool, although I don't remember much of that year (I was just 7 months old by the time the year ended  ;D ) But, the music, trends, TV shows, and movies all proved it to be a year to remember.

I'd say 1989 was my favorite year that I lived in the '80s, though. I remember it probably the best out of the '80s years. Being a Bay Area native, it was the year the Loma Prieta Earthquake happened, but on a more personal note, it was also the year I was heavily into roller skating, and the following February of '90, I was in a major roller skating competition in Bakersfield. I'll never forget how much fun it all was!!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/05/07 at 2:08 am

Any year prior to Whitney Houston hitting the Music scene.

She is THE single biggest reason I quit listening to the radio on a regular basis.
From about 1988 to 1998, I didn't listen at all!
Any music I experienced that I didn't own was purely by accident.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/06/07 at 10:08 pm

1983, 1985, and 1989

Written By: karen on 11/06/07 at 10:09 pm

1983, 1985, and 1989

Because?  ???

Written By: Banks on 11/09/07 at 1:34 am

Best year of the 80's for me is a toss up between 1980, 1981 and 1984...

1980 because I was still a little kid and loved the music and it was the last full year my mother and I lived alone.

1981 because, again, the music was awsome...and it was the last full year I lived in my childhood home.

1984 because, yet again, the music was brilliant, though it is the last time I would be able to say that about almost all of the music from a certain year until very recently...I spent a lot of time with my cousins who lived with us for a while at the end of the year.

The worst year's of the 1980's for me were 1982, 1985 and 1989.

1982 because, while the music was awsome, we also moved from my childhood home...Had problems with my (then) new Stepfather, some family members were murdered just after my birthday.

1985 because it was my first year in high school and I hated it...But mainly because my Nana (on my Mothers side) died.

1989 because my Grandfather on my Dad's side died.

AN

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/09/07 at 1:45 am

^
I appreciate that you're able to find the good in that decade despite the tragic and sad events.

as for me, I'd say 1984 because that's the year Lady Di & me got married
but then there's 1989, the year Julie was born which was very timely because my mom passed away in 1988 so that year sucked!
the early 80's spawned some really good dance music by Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Billy Idol which were all played and danced to at our wedding reception.
1986 was cool because I was chosen to be on our softball leagues All Star team and in 1986 my team went to a world tournament held in Salt Lake City. there were 168 teams there and we ended up in 28th place I think.
1987 was an excellent year for music as Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses was released that year

Written By: Banks on 11/09/07 at 7:57 am

'as for me, I'd say 1984 because that's the year Lady Di & me got married'

Princess Diana and Prince Charles got married in 1981...I think...Not really too sure though. I could be wrong.

AN

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/09/07 at 12:28 pm

1987 when I graduated H.S. and met my future husband.

1989 when I got married. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/07 at 12:42 pm

Princess Diana and Prince Charles got married in 1981...I think...Not really too sure though. I could be wrong.

AN

Mike calls his wife "Lady Di"...her name is Diane. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/09/07 at 1:00 pm

Mike calls his wife "Lady Di"...her name is Diane. :)
thanks for the clarification Erin

AN

you're probably correct about Prince Charles & Princess Diana but me and my wife Diane got hitched in 1984 and isn't that the year that Van Halen's album 1984 came out  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/09/07 at 1:46 pm

For entertainment, 1984 because I think it was the absolute peak of Eighties culture, and the early MTV sound of pop and rock music. Plus, so many songs from then had an influence on me, being a large part of the first stuff I ever heard (it was so much I can't narrow it down lol).

In terms of personal experience, 1987. It was by then I got practically a perfect memory, and was the beginning of the absolute peak of my "happy family days" before I had to worry about stuff (I was 5 and turned 6 and was in Kindergarden).

P.S. Even though alot of my favorite music was from that more peak earlier part around 1981-'86, it's honestly 1987 to 1990 or early '91 that feels more like "my Eighties" in terms of personal experience. Like I'd feel more comfortable time travelling back to then, and when I watch a movie or television show from that time, it seems more at home to me. I can relate better to a personal feel of the time in terms of what people might've been going through (and even moreso with the '90s). That feeling is sometimes lost on me when it comes to earlier on. Plus, there was some great stuff which the early-mid '80s didn't yet have, like Paula Abdul, saturation of Nintendo games, power ballads and Full House (sitcoms in general came back quite a bit in the late '80s). ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/10/07 at 7:51 am

1984 was definately "the 80's" more then any other year.  If someone was too young to remember 1984 or '85, then they never really knew the real 1980's.  I was young myself back then, but I remember it.  The pop cultural atmosphere was electric around 1984.

My favorite year from the 80's my own personal experiences was hands down 1988.  I remember being a kid and just chillin' with my friends in the Late 80's.  I was a slightly older kid around 12 or 13, so I enjoyed a more mature life, but I was still a child and able to take part in kid activities.  Life was good and everything was stable.

The worst year for me was probably 1986.  I was obviously younger and had a lot of problems in school around that time.

Best year for pop culture was clearly 1984.  My life wasn't all that great as a child, but the cool music, movies, and TV shows helped me get through it all.

Check this out, I just was reading back over the old part of this thread and saw how similar my post was to Megatron's without even realizing it! Even though he's got about six years on me, my experiences were pretty similar (I actually always thought of people around his age, born in the mid '70s as being like a more advanced '80s kid than I was). I agree with what he said about 1984 too.

My life experience kinda got lousy around the second half of 1989, what with my parents losing alot of the money they had up till that point (which in part, eventually caused us to move from my favorite childhood house the following Fall). My grandma also passed away that December, so for about a year and a half, things to me sorta nosedoved. They didn't start picking up again around early-mid 1991 as I got used to my "new" school, hometown and other little things in life. Even though there were certainly things that were forever changed, and I have spent pretty much every moment since then missing quite a bit from the '80s, for the most part the early-mid '90s were a better time for me.

Written By: Banks on 11/10/07 at 10:23 pm

'Mike calls his wife "Lady Di"...her name is Diane.'

'you're probably correct about Prince Charles & Princess Diana but me and my wife Diane got hitched in 1984'

ahhh Okay....Sorry about the confusion.

AN

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/07 at 10:26 pm

'Mike calls his wife "Lady Di"...her name is Diane.'

'you're probably correct about Prince Charles & Princess Diana but me and my wife Diane got hitched in 1984'

ahhh Okay....Sorry about the confusion.

AN

no problem! :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/20/07 at 8:51 pm

I agree with you on the 1984 thing.  I was 7 years old at the time, but for some odd reason I remember every thing that happen in that year.   1984 was the whole 80s decade blended into one!!!  I remember Miami Vice, I remember watching The Cosby Show for the first time.  I remember when Cherrelle, an RnB singer first came out that year.  I remember singing "Ghostbusters", and seeing the video.  I remember watching Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video.  I remember Madonna's song and video, "Like a Virgin", I remember New Edition's "Cool It Now", and "Mr. Telephone Man", I remember "Beat Street",   I remember that corny rip-off of the Smurfs, "Snorks".  I hated that show.  I remember "Footloose" and "Let's Hear It For The Boy", I remember when Wham! hit it big with "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"  I remember Care Bears, I remember Breakin, I remember breakdancing.  I remember trying to do that back in the day.  I remember the Jheri curls, YUCK!!!  Even the kids around my age at the time wore them.  I remember when Michael Jackson and his brothers had a Victory tour.  I remember when Prince hit it big with the Purple Rain movie and the soundtrack.  1984 was a good year to be a child. So, my years were 1980-1985, especially 1984. 

Check for new replies or respond here...