inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Electronic Groups!!!

Written By: Rush on 05/05/04 at 9:44 pm

I'll go for Depeche Mode closely followed by Yello, Soft Cell and all the others listed. Also the likes of Telex, Camouflage, Red Flag, Bronski Beat, Communards, Data, Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, The Human League, Komputer, Heaven 17, Landscape, New Order, Ultravox, John Foxx, Visage and many many more...

I'll stop now because I'm starting to sound like an advert for a compilation album  ;D

Subject: Re: Electronic Groups!!!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/05/04 at 9:55 pm

O.M.D.  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/05/04 at 11:29 pm

Me too. :)

Written By: Lanie on 05/05/04 at 11:30 pm

O.M.D. :)

Written By: woops on 05/06/04 at 2:36 am

Depeche Mode  8)

Written By: karen on 05/06/04 at 4:59 am

They are all good groups.  However some of them I don't like all their work so I chose Kraftwerk because all that I've heard, I liked

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/04 at 5:04 am

I went for Erasure, Rush purely because I like a lot of their songs. I like listening to most of those groups you listed.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/06/04 at 6:15 am

i have become a huge fan of OMD but only in the last year. i've been a fan of depeche mode since i saw the 'people are people' video 21 years ago. so i voted depeche mode.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 2:19 pm

I chose Kraftwerk

Written By: krakboi on 05/06/04 at 3:03 pm

I just saw Kraftwerk live this past weekend, and the show blew me away.  They get my vote.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/06/04 at 3:07 pm

Same here.  I love them!  8)

Written By: Paul on 05/06/04 at 3:15 pm

OMD - especially the early stuff up until about 1984...

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/06/04 at 3:41 pm

Depeche Mode

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 6:20 pm

I love most of those groups, so it was hard to choose. I went with Depeche Mode. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/04 at 2:45 am

I love most of those groups, so it was hard to choose. I went with Depeche Mode. :)

Absolutely Vile

Me too.  The groups on the poll have their own ways of being my *favorite,* but DEPECHE MODE wins overall.

HEAVEN 17 wasn't on the poll, but it's one of the most underrated '80s groups out there.  And of course, FAD GADGET always gets a special recommendation from me when this subject comes up....

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/09/04 at 7:43 am

I like them all. Yaz was picked because of Alison Moyet. I would like to give honorable mentions to The The and Danse Society.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/04 at 12:16 pm

I like them all. Yaz was picked because of Alison Moyet. I would like to give honorable mentions to The The and Danse Society.

I always call Yaz by their full name Yazoo.  The The was only briefly "electronic."  Matt Johnson used synths, but I would say his instrumentation was rather conventional.

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/09/04 at 12:47 pm

Yes Maxwell you are right about The The. I probably shouldn't have put them there after thinking about it. Since I'm not British, I called them Yaz. :D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/09/04 at 12:49 pm

Yes Maxwell you are right about The The. I probably shouldn't have put them there after thinking about it. Since I'm not British, I called them Yaz. :D

I'm not British either and I call them Yazoo!  8)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/09/04 at 12:56 pm

I always connected Yazoo with Kazoo! :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 12:54 pm

Erasure

tanya

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/03/04 at 1:48 am

Depeche Mode

Written By: bj26 on 08/03/04 at 10:53 am

The Tubes started in the 70s, but I saw them (with Todd Rundgren) in '85, so I'll go with the Tubes, definately pioneers of synth pop sound.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/03/04 at 11:21 am

not a huge fan of any on the poll but i went with Erasure

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/04 at 12:40 pm

I always connected Yazoo with Kazoo! :D

I...I never thought of that before!  Thank you!
:)

Written By: Huw on 08/03/04 at 3:39 pm

Well, if it hadn't been for Kraftwerk, I doubt if the others would have existed. Has to be Kraftwerk....

best wishes
Huw

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/03/04 at 4:53 pm

Well, if it hadn't been for Kraftwerk, I doubt if the others would have existed. Has to be Kraftwerk....

best wishes
Huw

Hi Huw! Welcome back! I had chosen Depeche Mode, but you do have a point...and Kraftwerk are a great band. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 08/04/04 at 7:01 pm

Can I chose "All of the Above"?  Too close to call, just depends on my mood. 

Written By: Bobby on 08/04/04 at 7:04 pm

The British can't call them Yaz because it would confuse the group with the lady called Yazz who had British hits in the late 80s called 'The only way is up' and 'Stand up for your love rights'.

Written By: Whisper on 08/28/04 at 2:22 pm

Depeche Mode

Written By: Rob on 08/28/04 at 9:13 pm

Depeche Mode

Question though:

I know that the band Yazoo existed with Alyson Moet but where they also called YAZ?  I have a very old tape in which the band is called YAZ

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/28/04 at 9:51 pm

Depeche Mode

Question though:

I know that the band Yazoo existed with Alyson Moet but where they also called YAZ?  I have a very old tape in which the band is called YAZ

Yazoo couldn't be called "Yaz" in the UK because there was already someone called Yazz in a group called Yazz & The Plastic Population. So, they were called Yazoo in the UK and Yaz in North America. Any idea of which name they were called in the rest of the world?

Absolutely Vile

Written By: hornet on 08/29/04 at 6:55 pm

having to pick one electronic group .....i'd say ULTRAVOX

the group that intro'd me into the electronic music scene properly...love vienna album when new ..still a fav of mine  ;D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/29/04 at 7:09 pm

having to pick one electronic group .....i'd say ULTRAVOX

the group that intro'd me into the electronic music scene properly...love vienna album when new ..still a fav of mine  ;D

<GASP!!> Be still my beating heart!!! ;D  One of my absolute favourite bands! I never really considered them an "electronic" band, per ce. Not totally anyway. That's why I had chosen Depeche Mode, another favourite whom I love equally as much.

I admire your taste!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/05 at 11:02 pm

other:  The Associates :)

Written By: cables on 10/01/05 at 4:14 am

Other - After The Fire (biggest hits: Laser Love and Der Kommissar).

I don't really like any of the others (I'm a guitar, bass, and drums person in case you hadn't already worked it out!) but did like OMD at the time. I went off them when I went to see them and they were on stage for only 40 minutes - including the encore!

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 9:44 pm

Didn't see "New Order" on your list.  They were probably my favorite from the 80's, followed by Depche Mode.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/03/05 at 3:58 pm

Gotta go with the mode. Then erasure. BUT, You forgot the most important Electronic Group of all time, Also on my avitar: Cabaret voltaire.

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/03/05 at 4:08 pm

My vote goes to Depeche Mode (just in case anybody was wondering...see my sigline ::))

Check for new replies or respond here...