inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst TV Show of the 1980's

Written By: woops on 05/07/04 at 10:13 am

My choice: "since all are bad, IMO,I'll select  Facts Of Life"...

Subject: Re: Worst TV Show of the 1980's

Written By: Hairspray on 05/07/04 at 10:53 am

Alf - I'm not sure why, but I could never stand that creature/alien puppet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/04 at 10:59 am

What about "All of the above"? (Well, some of them were ok)

Cat

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/07/04 at 11:23 am

I chose Matlock, but I almost picked Alf...was never a big fan. But some of those shows I don't remember, or maybe my subconcious is just blocking it out.  :D

Written By: Koop on 05/07/04 at 11:26 am

I chose "Small Wonder".  Horrible show.  I used to belong to a message board called "Yesterdayland" and so many people would ask about that show...which surprized me, because it was so horrible. 

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/07/04 at 12:28 pm

I chose "Small Wonder".  Horrible show.  I used to belong to a message board called "Yesterdayland" and so many people would ask about that show...which surprized me, because it was so horrible. 

What was Small Wonder about?  ???

Written By: woops on 05/07/04 at 12:31 pm

What was Small Wonder about?  ???

A robot in a form of a little girl named Vicky. Enough said.

Think "A.I." the sitcom or a live action verision of thatcurrent Nickelodeon cartoon.  :-X

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/07/04 at 1:18 pm

I thought Vicki was okay (Except that she went in and out of her robot shtik). The problem I had with this show was that towheaded brat of a brother (Deep Tonsils ???) and the annoying next door neighbor's bratette Harriet. They are the reasons why thi is the worst of this bunch.

A robot in a form of a little girl named Vicky. Enough said.

Think "A.I." the sitcom or a live action verision of thatcurrent Nickelodeon cartoon.  :-X

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 6:12 pm

I went with Other....I would've said all of the above but Cheers was in there! Anyway, my pick was "Who's the Boss" followed very closely by "Family Ties" :P

Written By: Dagwood on 05/07/04 at 7:04 pm

Small Wonder

Written By: NbC on 05/08/04 at 6:34 am

Quite a few are pretty bad but I think The New Leave It To Beaver gets my vote.

Friday the 13th: The Series is one of my favorites.  Loved that show.

Written By: AL-B on 05/08/04 at 12:07 pm

Small Wonder. I only saw this show once or twice, but that was enough. Never before or since have I seen a TV show so horrible, so irritating, so stupid, and so insulting to my intelligence. This show was so bad that whenever that stupid girl would start talking in her stupid robot voice I would actually start feeling RAGE. >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Lanie on 05/08/04 at 3:45 pm

Matlock :P

Written By: Mr X on 05/11/04 at 10:12 am

Hey, no one mentioned the "Moron Downey Jr Show"; that really stunk! (I know I omitted the T from his first name, but that's what I think of him.)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/11/04 at 10:39 am

SMALL WONDER!!!!!!   >:(

Written By: ... on 06/02/04 at 2:29 pm

Hey, no one mentioned the "Moron Downey Jr Show"; that really stunk! (I know I omitted the T from his first name, but that's what I think of him.)

I think so too...except I call him "Moron Downer Jr." ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/02/04 at 2:58 pm

I only watched Matlock once and I liked it because, when I was younger, I could stay up a little later at night to watch it.

The Cosby Show and ALF were not that bad surely . . .

I picked other. Notts Landing and Falcon Crest.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/02/04 at 4:05 pm

Alf

Written By: hoogbest on 06/03/04 at 10:10 am

Ah.......excuse me......but Cheers does NOT belong in that list......sorry! :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/03/04 at 11:52 am

I hated Matlock.  Maybe if I had been 50 years older at the time, I would have liked it.  Seems most older people I know liked it.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/03/04 at 3:53 pm

Full House.  I hated that show!

but there are alot of other on that list that sucked too.

Written By: banglebabe on 06/04/04 at 12:39 am

Morton Downey jr.

Wasn't he the loud mouthed talk show host who would smoke on stage and scream and blow smoke in the guest's face who were offended by it and then years later, he got lung cancer?

Karma is ironic sometimes.  :-\\

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/04/04 at 2:15 pm

Morton Downey jr.

Wasn't he the loud mouthed talk show host who would smoke on stage and scream and blow smoke in the guest's face who were offended by it and then years later, he got lung cancer?

Yes, that was him.  He died a few years back of lung cancer.  I know you shouldn't speak bad of the dead, but that guy was a total moron.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/04/04 at 2:16 pm

Morton Downey jr.

Yeap.

Contentious host of the short-lived (2 years) but popular Morton Downey, Jr. Show, Downey had a long and diverse career before he became an icon of the right wing. He had been a singer, record producer, disc jockey, and founder of the American Basketball Association. Pope Paul VI knighted Downey for his humanitarian work in the 1970s. A one-time heavy smoker, Downey kicked a 50-year habit in 1996 to become an anti-tobacco activist, but by that time it was too late. He died in 2001 of a heart attack brought on by his valiant battle against lung cancer.

Written By: Climber on 06/04/04 at 6:59 pm

I don't remember all of these shows, but the one that drove me crazy was ALF.  I could never figure out what was so good or funny about that show.

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/05/04 at 11:12 pm

Come on guys, ALF wasn't so bad. Doesn't anyone remember that music video he did to impress Lynn? Now THAT was funny! But I wanna know why Married With Children wasn't on that list! I mean, how many times can you hear Peg Bundy wail AL without wanting to strangle her? Forget the Crap TV, and let's move on, talking about the cool 80's shows!

Written By: DENISE on 06/06/04 at 1:25 pm

I must say that the worse TV show that I ever saw in the 80's is SMALL WONDER I could not stand the nerdy father, the son who was taking after the father, oh the mother ehhhhhhhhhhh soso but I hated that ROBOT please #1 regardless whether or not she was a ROBOT that dress had to go who in their right mind would dress anything in that dress and the way she spoke was another. All the other shows were fine I must say that the best show was THE FACTS OF LIFE.
But SMALL WONDER was the worse.

Denise

Written By: Class of 84 on 06/06/04 at 6:00 pm

First, ALF was just plain funny.

Second, Morton Downey Jr was pathetic, but at least David Letterman got to parody it for some hilarious moments.

Third, "Silver Spoons" gets my vote for the most stupid,terrible,inane,nauseating sit com of the 80's.  Even today, I cannot watch anything with Ricky Schroeder in it without having to supress the gag reflex.

Written By: AL-B on 06/06/04 at 8:04 pm

"Silver Spoons" gets my vote for the most stupid,terrible,inane,nauseating sit com of the 80's.  Even today, I cannot watch anything with Ricky Schroeder in it without having to supress the gag reflex.
I remember watching this show when it was on, and I remember thinking, "Who wants to watch a show about some a**hole rich kid?" Plus the dad was a total dorkwad.

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/09/04 at 12:19 am

A couple of those shows I never heard of before.I voted for Matlock.

Written By: Mr X on 06/15/04 at 10:56 am

Yes, that was him.  He died a few years back of lung cancer.  I know you shouldn't speak bad of the dead, but that guy was a total moron.

I know, I already mentioned that. What do you get when you drop the T from his first name? ;D

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 10:16 pm

Manimal! Haha, surprised anyone remembered that show! I only saw it though in the 90's on Intro TV.

Written By: robby76 on 06/06/06 at 5:28 am

i can't believe Small Wonder is winning. That show was ace!  :D

I remember Manimal too. It was a bit like "Misfits of Science".

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/06/06 at 7:19 pm

I voted for Small Wonder... that freaky robot girl with the weird voice totally creeped me out...  :o

Written By: Davester on 06/07/06 at 12:17 am

The more I think about it, the more I come to realize pretty much every sitcom originating in the 70's and 80's were bad, in terms of acting, scripting/writing that is.  The word wooden comes to mind...

The only intelligent comedies/dramadies to come out of the 70s/80s were M*A*S*H, All in the Family and Cheers.  Not more than a casual viewer of Cheers but the lines are so well delivered and the gags are so hysterically funny...

Am I wrong..?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/07/06 at 12:36 am

I agree some of it was wooden, but a lot of it was also lighthearted. I think a lot of '70s and 80s shows didn't take themselves all too seriously like today. I mean, when you see CSI or NYPD Blue, you are seeing raw, almost too real kind of situations. Plus, drama has changed due to technology changing. Comedies, to me, haven't changed all that much over the years. There are some awful comedy sitcoms out there that are still getting airplay.

To be honest, I find the acting in Desperate Housewives to be fairly wooden. They seem like very one-dimensional characters. 

So, to my choice, Small Wonder gets the vote - hands down  ;D

Written By: Davester on 06/07/06 at 1:00 am

I agree some of it was wooden, but a lot of it was also lighthearted. I think a lot of '70s and 80s shows didn't take themselves all too seriously like today.

I agree, and that's what makes them so endearing and fun to watch today.

Small Wonder was a steaming pile, wasn't it..?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/07/06 at 1:28 am

Small Wonder was poo.

Written By: robby76 on 06/07/06 at 3:53 am

Okay so it wasn't breaking comedic barriers, but for an 8 yr old it was great to watch. If the same show was on today but updated I'd think it was pants too, but cos it's the 80s it will always hold a special place.

Written By: Davester on 06/07/06 at 6:09 am

Okay so it wasn't breaking comedic barriers, but for an 8 yr old it was great to watch. If the same show was on today but updated I'd think it was pants too, but cos it's the 80s it will always hold a special place.

Absolutely.  Otherwise, why are we here at Decades in the first place...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/07/06 at 11:04 am

Pink Lady and Jeff.

I liked the vast majority of these shows. For what it's worth, I liked Small Wonder. I was a kid who enjoyed it. That's what counts.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/06 at 11:07 am

I voted for, "Alf"...I couldn't stand that show............Alf's voice annoyed me, as did the family.

I liked "Small Wonder" too, Tanya! ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/07/06 at 1:52 pm

I voted for, "Alf"...I couldn't stand that show............Alf's voice annoyed me, as did the family.

I liked "Small Wonder" too, Tanya! ;)

Thanks, Quirk!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/07/06 at 1:57 pm

I guess there could've been worse stuff to watch besides Small Wonder.  :) Like today's crapload of reality shows..  ;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/07/06 at 2:55 pm

I used to love watching Alf when I was little, but.... in retrospect, I can't really understand why. ;)

I haven't seen an episode in many years.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/06 at 3:08 pm

Friday the 13th: The Series

The movies were dumb, the series was dumb.  I hated anything related.  Then again, given my name, can you blame me? :D

Written By: Nostalgic on 06/07/06 at 3:28 pm

I picked Small Wonder, although I haven't seen some of the shows on this list.

I also think Mork And Mindy and The Greatest American Hero were pretty bad.

Written By: DarkRainySkies on 06/07/06 at 5:07 pm

Alf. How could anyone find that funny?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/07/06 at 6:00 pm

Small Wonder gets my vote.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/07/06 at 6:33 pm

Every show on that list I know of are quite bad IMO. Except for Cheers. Why was that put on the list?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/07/06 at 7:11 pm

Benson.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/07/06 at 11:21 pm

Benson.

WTF? That was a good spinoff from a great show. I get the feeling someone watched a marathon last weekend.

Written By: Davester on 06/07/06 at 11:44 pm

Never watched Benson before the recent marathon.  It wasn't bad at all...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/08/06 at 3:37 pm

Benson.

I remember liking Benson. It wasn't all that bad.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/09/06 at 3:21 pm

I remember liking Benson. It wasn't all that bad.

Did you catch it in reruns? It aired between 1980 and 1984

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 5:26 pm

Did you catch it in reruns? It aired between 1980 and 1984

I remember seeing it as a kid, but I would've been too young in 1984 to really comprehend much, so maybe it ran on a local channel in reruns in the mid-late '80s.

Written By: Classie83 on 06/09/06 at 10:57 pm

Alf - I'm not sure why, but I could never stand that creature/alien puppet.

Yeah I selected that as the worst. He was obnoxious and very annoying....not to mention ugly.... :-\\

Written By: Classie83 on 06/09/06 at 10:58 pm

*gasp* how can you say that about vicki?

Written By: Classie83 on 06/09/06 at 10:59 pm

Matlock :P

Yeah...Matlock was extremely boring....That and Columbo..... :-\\  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/10/06 at 1:05 am

I remember seeing it as a kid, but I would've been too young in 1984 to really comprehend much, so maybe it ran on a local channel in reruns in the mid-late '80s.

Cool. I got ya!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/10/06 at 8:13 am

WTF? That was a good spinoff from a great show. I get the feeling someone watched a marathon last weekend.

I watched like two hours of the marathon. It was terrible. I didn't laugh once...maybe it's just my taste...

Check for new replies or respond here...