inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Video Poll: 1986

Written By: woops on 05/07/04 at 9:55 pm

My choice: Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer"  8)

Subject: Re: Music Video Poll: 1986

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 8:16 am

I would have gone for Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" myself, but it was/is so over-hyped that it's lost its appeal. So...I went for "other." A Question Of Lust - Depeche Mode. Anyone who knows me well enough and has seen the video in its entirety (this is important!) will understand why...;D

By the way, the video for The Replacements' "Bastards Of Young" is almost exactly the same as another one of their videos. Which one was it? I can't remember.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 05/08/04 at 8:47 am

I went for Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer'. The song was rubbish but the video was so inventive! It packed a lot into those 4 minutes. My second choice was probably 'Something about you' by Level 42.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/04 at 9:36 am

Bon Jovi "Living on a Prayer"

Written By: Lanie on 05/08/04 at 3:43 pm

Duran Duran "Notorious"

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/10/04 at 8:27 am

Na-na- Notorious! Notorious!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/10/04 at 9:44 am

I went with a Rockin little band from Down Under....INXS "What You Need ;)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 05/10/04 at 2:55 pm

Duran Duran- "No-No--Notorious!" Nick looks really good in that one!!! Sledgehammer is a close second!

Rio

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/10/04 at 3:04 pm

I went with The Georgia Satellites. What ever happened to them?

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/10/04 at 8:58 pm

Were talking videos, so Id have to say Sledgehammer all the way.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 05/11/04 at 1:04 am

Videos Sledgehammer, yup, song Swing Out Sister Breakout!!!!
KvayaBN

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/13/04 at 12:42 pm

Notorious

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/13/04 at 1:36 pm

It's gotta be Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer".  :)

Written By: Koop on 05/13/04 at 3:45 pm

I went with Addicted to Love.  1986 was the year I graduated high school and every time I hear it, I think of senior year, which was a fun year. (from what I remember about it anyway.  :D)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 1:05 pm

I voted for something about you. Go ahead, flame me!

Tanya

Written By: shore girl 1986 on 08/14/05 at 9:25 am

Although it was officially released in '85 it was number 1 on MTV's countdown for 15 weeks in winter of '86.  How can it not be on you list ?????  Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" !!

Written By: robby76 on 08/14/05 at 9:22 pm

Any poll with the Jets as an option gets my vote! Though their Curiosity video had more substance, this one was just alive with 80's colours, fashion and dance... a real time capsule! The beginning bass guitar really kickstarts the song too!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/14/05 at 10:56 pm

8)  ACDC..of course!!

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/15/05 at 5:06 pm

Wasn't "You Shook Me All Night Long" from their Back In Black album, released in 1980? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyways, I voted for Sledgehammer. Horrible song (what the hell does it mean to be a sledgehammer to someone?), but absolutely great video to watch! Love the dancing turkeys!

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/15/05 at 8:54 pm

All great videos, but I chose other, because of a six way tie for 1986 favorite video:

Here are the five I'd choose:

"Manic Monday" by the Bangles
"Life In A Northern Town" by The Dream Academy
"Dancing On The Ceiling" by Lionel Richie (a really fun video)
"When I Think Of You" by Janet Jackson
"True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper
& Barbra Streisand's video for her reading of "West Side Story's" "Somewhere"
    (this video was like, "butta")

Written By: OliverDK on 08/16/05 at 6:26 am

I liked "Sledgehammer" too but in the end it had to be "Walk This Way" since that was a cool video.

Written By: Atari on 08/16/05 at 7:19 am

I went with what I liked at that time, whcih was Cinderella's Shake Me, with Yankee Rose as a close second.

If it were today, I'd probably go with Sledgehammer.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/16/05 at 10:50 am

Wasn't "You Shook Me All Night Long" from their Back In Black album, released in 1980? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyways, I voted for Sledgehammer. Horrible song (what the hell does it mean to be a sledgehammer to someone?), but absolutely great video to watch! Love the dancing turkeys!

That's correct.
Bon Scott all the way though. Back In Black was their first album with out him, which i must admit though is probably the best comeback with a new singer for any band in history. A new front man or one leaving or dying usually spells the end for most groups.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/16/05 at 10:28 pm

8)  Yep..Back In Black is one of my ALL time Faves.. Ev song is great ..to me.. I remember one party out in the country and we..only had ONE albumn....We listened to Back In Black for I know at least 8 hours!!!!!!!! It was a cabin set waaay back off the road and once we all got there ..noone left..sooo we just listened to what we had on hand..which was fine with me...That party SHOOK all nite and then some!!!! I will remember it for the rest of my life!

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/18/05 at 6:35 pm

I voted OTHER because there was no video for the song I drove everybody around me nuts listening to in '86. It was Halloween by King Diamond

Written By: OliverDK on 08/19/05 at 7:48 am

I voted OTHER because there was no video for the song I drove everybody around me nuts listening to in '86. It was Halloween by King Diamond

"Halloween" was a cool song, I had a thing for "No Presents For Christmas" when that came out.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/19/05 at 3:01 pm

;D  Dude...it isn't Christmas here unless No Presents For Christmas is played. Every year I pull the decorations down from the attic, pour some type of spirit to sip, and start decorating while playing that song. I can't believe it's been about 18 years I've been doing that. LOL! Even my mom got a charge out of that song.

It officially starts the Christmas season in this house  ;D

Written By: TC1970 on 08/19/05 at 8:08 pm

Cinderella "Shake Me"  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...