inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s TV movie, trying to place

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/10/04 at 8:32 pm

Ive been here before, just not in awhile so I had to recreate my account.

But anyway, theres this movie thats been bugging me lately because I cant seem to place it.  I watched it when I was a little kid, early 80s probably, late at night on network TV.  It started out with this guy driving his big old car down this lonely dirt road, I believe his name was "Mr Wheeler".  Then there was this kid, probably about 10 or so, I believe the name was "Gilbert".  The guy stopped and the kid got in and led him back to this house.  I believe there were 6 siblings living in this old falling apart house.  No parents or anything, just the kids.  There was this older boy, probably 17 or so, I think with dark hair and kinda like a Fonzie or John Travolta type, only kinda mean, who kinda ruled the family.  Seems like they wanted Mr Wheeler to live there and be like a father or something, but when he tried to leave they chased him down and tried to kill him.  Also it seems they dumped his car in a lake (along with other cars of people who were put in the same predicament as Mr Wheeler).  I dont remember much of anything else or even how it ended, but its been bugging me like crazy trying to figure out what it is.  I watched it with my grandma, and she says she remembers it too but cant seem to place it.  Shes the one who said the kids dumped the cars in the lake.

Does anyone else maybe know what this movie is, and when this was?

Subject: Re: 80s TV movie, trying to place

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/10/04 at 10:23 pm

Got a little carried away replying to polls, buried my original question.

BUMP

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/11/04 at 9:47 am

Was it like a horror movie or drama?

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/11/04 at 8:03 pm

Was it like a horror movie or drama?

It was more drama.  A late night made-for-TV thriller basically.  There was nothing gory in it at all.  It seemed similar to "Dark Night Of The Scarecrow" (and actually that movie may have come out at a similar time), but not quite as scary and I dont think there was any blood in it.  Its just the plot that was kinda scary.  But in a way similar to Dark Night---  the reality of it was what sent a shiver up me.  Unlike many movies that would be scary if they werent so studio-like unbelievable, this one was pure reality type setting.

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/12/04 at 8:03 am

I'm not sure what it is called, but I know there used to be someone on these boards that loved crime/drama tv movies/series. Maybe they can help. Sorry. :-\\

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/12/04 at 1:51 pm

No clue. Try www.imdb.com

SmithsGirl

Written By: RickP99 on 05/13/04 at 5:21 pm

Hey wagonman76,  I haven’t been on the boards in awhile either and had to re-register.  The movie you are thinking of is called, “All The Kind Strangers”.  It is a TV-movie, but originally from 1974.  The plot is like you described, but there is a woman there with the kids when Wheeler is taken to the kitchen.  Remember, the kids call her Ma, but then she writes the word “Help” in her mound of flour?

The oldest brother is John Savage and Robby Benson is the middle sensitive brother.  Robby also sings the theme song for the movie.  Stacy Keach and Samantha Eggar played the “parents”. It really is a good movie, it’s just pretty strange.  I’m just shocked Hollywood hasn’t remade it!  I got this on tape just recently from a tape-trading buddy of mine.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/08/04 at 11:52 pm

Hey thank you so much.  I found this movie on DVD in the clearance pile at Walmart.  I watched it and wow its been awhile, but it was pretty much just like I remember it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...