inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst Band/Artist from the 1980's

Written By: woops on 05/13/04 at 2:09 am

My choice: New Kids On The Block  :P

Subject: Re: Worst Band/Artist from the 1980's

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/13/04 at 3:40 am

I chose Winger, but they're tied with W.A.S.P. and Menudo. The rest I can tolerate at the very least. Where was Warrant on the list? :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 4:22 am

I went with Miami Sound Machine. A lot of their songs were boring.

Nice to see Rick Astley as a worst artist again.  :-\\

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/13/04 at 6:40 am

Miami Sound Machine.  There is just something very annoying about their music.  I never liked any of their songs.

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/13/04 at 10:05 am

I chose Milli Vanilli. The frauds!

Written By: maddog on 05/13/04 at 11:18 am

Has to be "Other"...the stomach churning, kick-the-telly-in awfulness that was (I can hardly bring myself to say it)....Glen Medeiros!

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/13/04 at 11:55 am

Id say probably NKOTB.  Seems like they started this whole boy band thing thats still going on.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/13/04 at 12:21 pm

There are a few on this list that were pretty bad, but my vote went to Tiffany.  Her voice just grates on me for some reason.  >:(

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/13/04 at 12:31 pm

WINGER

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/13/04 at 5:40 pm

all of the above! and throw in winger as well.

Written By: woops on 05/13/04 at 5:44 pm

Glen Medeiros!

Who?  ::) Seriously, never heard of him & probably best forgotten.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 5:52 pm

Who?  ::) Seriously, never heard of him & probably best forgotten.

He sang a sappy song in the late 80s ( I think it was 1988 ) called 'Nothing's gonna change my love for you'. I don't think I hate him. He's just another guy that hit it big for a very short period of time (like Owen Paul in 1986).

Written By: Lanie on 05/13/04 at 6:11 pm

New Kids On The Block :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/04 at 7:29 pm

Not one of them falls within my bounds of taste, though some of them had enough talent to disqualify them from a "worst" list.

I went with Richard Marx because I just hate his kind of crapola, and there isn't even anything to laugh at with a guy like that.  At least W.A.S.P. and Menudo gave you some perverse amusement.

Nobody has written in TACO yet, surprise, surprise.  It seems like somebody's always dumping on that dork!

Written By: woops on 05/13/04 at 9:04 pm

He sang a sappy song in the late 80s ( I think it was 1988 ) called 'Nothing's gonna change my love for you'. I don't think I hate him. He's just another guy that hit it big for a very short period of time (like Owen Paul in 1986).

Know I know.

It's on the "Heartthrob Hits" CD with a couple good/fair tracks & this is not one of them.

Added: Taco ("Puttin' On The Ritz") & Glen Medeiros  :P

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/13/04 at 9:10 pm

I chose my favorite "singer" to hate on, Rick Astley     ::) :P ::) :P

SmithsGirl

Written By: mandamoo on 05/14/04 at 9:28 am

All of the Above

Written By: Kitten on 05/14/04 at 12:00 pm

Least we forget Latoya Jackson! Rap/singing crap, plus she tried to scam Janet's rhythm nation video, it didn't work Latoya, it just didn't work.

Written By: Cheetara on 05/14/04 at 1:19 pm

Starship...  :P

Written By: stingr22 on 05/14/04 at 10:58 pm

You can guarantee that any time the Pointer Sisters are on the radio, I will change the station!  I can't stand them!  >:(

Where was Kenny Rogers on the list?  ARGH!!!!!!!!  >:(

Written By: woops on 05/15/04 at 12:22 am

Where was Kenny Rogers on the list?  ARGH!!!!!!!!   >:(

I like to leave country singers out since, personally, I can't stand the entire genre.

Plus, I've never heard any of his work.

Written By: woops on 05/15/04 at 1:35 am

As for hairbands:

Stryper & Vixen  :P

I also would add Warrant, but "Heaven" is condsidered a "classic" song & "Cherry Pie" is a memorable video.

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/16/04 at 11:17 pm

GEORGE MICHAEL!!!! Wham would come in a close second.  Why all the hostility for the hair bands?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/04 at 11:28 pm

GEORGE MICHAEL!!!! Wham would come in a close second.  Why all the hostility for the hair bands?

OH YEAH, I just DESPISE George Michael.  However, I'll always like Wham's "Careless Whispers," beside "Wham Rap" and "Hey Suckers" are too funny!  So, even though George Michael was around to annoy me a lot longer than Richard Marx, my worst still goes to Richard Marx!

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/16/04 at 11:33 pm

I'll admit that I let "careless whisper" slip through my reject radar, but that's the only song by them I will allow!

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/17/04 at 7:26 am

New kids on the block

Written By: Josh on 05/20/04 at 5:20 am

>:(      Why is Starship no. 2 on the worst band poll?  Why would VH1 put We Built This City as the no.1 awsomely bad song?  that song was No.1 on the billboard charts in November of 1985.  If the song is so bad then why would it rank so high on the charts?  People obviously liked it.  Starship had 3 no.1 hits in the 80's.  ''Sara'' and ''Nothing's gonna stop us now'' were the other two.  A band that had that many no.1 hits wouldn't indicate that they are ''bad'' would it?  onother note: their song ''it's not over (till it's over)'' was used as the theme song for Major leauge baseball in the summer of 1987.    QUIT RIPPING ON STARSHIP, PLEASE!

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/20/04 at 6:00 am

>:(       Why is Starship no. 2 on the worst band poll?  Why would VH1 put We Built This City as the no.1 awsomely bad song?  that song was No.1 on the billboard charts in November of 1985.  If the song is so bad then why would it rank so high on the charts?  People obviously liked it.  Starship had 3 no.1 hits in the 80's.  ''Sara'' and ''Nothing's gonna stop us now'' were the other two.  A band that had that many no.1 hits wouldn't indicate that they are ''bad'' would it?  onother note: their song ''it's not over (till it's over)'' was used as the theme song for Major leauge baseball in the summer of 1987.    QUIT RIPPING ON STARSHIP, PLEASE!

And what about "no way out" from the summer of '84?  That was a good tune also.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/20/04 at 8:48 am

And what about "no way out" from the summer of '84?  That was a good tune also.

That's my favorite tune of their's from the 80's. :)

Written By: josh on 05/21/04 at 1:05 am

;)    No Way Out is an excellent song.  So is ''Layin' it on the line'', also from 1984.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 1:23 am

Actually, I liked Starship's "Winds of Change," a minor hit from 1983.  As for "We Built This City," and "Sara," no comment!
:-X

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/21/04 at 6:47 am

Actually, I liked Starship's "Winds of Change," a minor hit from 1983.  As for "We Built This City," and "Sara," no comment!

I liked Winds of Change and Sara.  As for We Built This City, I could take it or leave it.

Written By: Gwen on 05/21/04 at 7:32 am

If you had asked me in the 80's I would have said definately without a doubt that it was New Kids on The Block. 
Now I'd have to say it was Milli Vanilli for the simple fact that they didn't sing thier own music. 
That being said, I'll have to admit that now I can listen to almost anything 80's without having to change it because IMO even the bad songs from then I still like better than most of the songs on the radio today.
I saw someone comment on the VH1 worst songs show.  Did anyone else have to turn it off cause it just ticked them off?  I was watching the recap and I liked more than half the songs they had on there.  When I saw they put Phil Collins Sussidio on I just changed the station.

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/21/04 at 7:40 am

I saw someone comment on the VH1 worst songs show.  Did anyone else have to turn it off cause it just ticked them off?  I was watching the recap and I liked more than half the songs they had on there.  When I saw they put Phil Collins Sussidio on I just changed the station.

I saw the show and it ticked me off as well because some of the songs that were being ripped apart were good songs.  I really took exception to the moron who said that all bands with geographic names, like Asia, Kansas, America and a few others all sucked.  Where does he get off making a statement like that?  He didn't even look old enough to remember any of those groups, so how the heck would he know?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/21/04 at 1:19 pm

>:(       Why is Starship no. 2 on the worst band poll?  Why would VH1 put We Built This City as the no.1 awsomely bad song?  that song was No.1 on the billboard charts in November of 1985.  If the song is so bad then why would it rank so high on the charts?  People obviously liked it.  Starship had 3 no.1 hits in the 80's.  ''Sara'' and ''Nothing's gonna stop us now'' were the other two.  A band that had that many no.1 hits wouldn't indicate that they are ''bad'' would it?  onother note: their song ''it's not over (till it's over)'' was used as the theme song for Major leauge baseball in the summer of 1987.    QUIT RIPPING ON STARSHIP, PLEASE!

The reason people rip on Starship is because people remember what a great band Jefferson Airplane was, and how it devolved into Starship, which was pretty soul-less and commercial sounding.  A lot of the other bands on this worst of list were at the top of the charts at one point to.  Just because something is popular, doesn't make it good.  Think of American Idol and that should answer the question right there.

For the record, I liked "We Built This City" when it came out. It's not nearly as awful as "MacArthur Park" or "Afternoon Delight" which certainly deserved a higher ranking in that worst song list.  It's perhaps a little overplayed and filled with cheesy cliche's, but it's certainly not as awful as some people appear to think.

I picked Winger incidently... they were really just awful.  no excuse for their success

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/21/04 at 2:18 pm

"Winds Of Change" was not by Starship.  It was by Jefferson Starship.  Huge difference!  ;)

Written By: woops on 05/21/04 at 6:37 pm

having to change it because IMO even the bad songs from then I still like better than most of the songs on the radio today.

They ranked "Broken Wings" (Mister Mister), "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" (Crash Test Dummies), "The Final Countdown" (Europe),  and "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" (Wang Chung), which are my favorite songs from the list. And a few I find OK like "Sunglasses At Night" (Coery Hart) & "Sussudio" (Phil Collins).  :)

And many stinkers like Vanilla Ice, Limp Bizkit, Aqua, Puff Daddy, Michael Bolton,etc.  :P
Plus some songs that aren't "their best" from good artists like Lionel Richie. ("Dancing On The Ceiling", though a fun video)

Written By: AL-B on 05/21/04 at 9:03 pm

New Kids On The Block. I remember the first time I saw them on Friday Night Videos, and I hated them right off the bat. However, I like a lot of what Donnie Wahlberg has done as an actor, so he's off my hate list. (Same goes for his brother.) It impresses me when someone can break away from some manufactured pretty-boy teen-pop-idol image and actually show some real talent. (I still hate the rest of those creeps, though.)

I also hated Wham and Poison.

Written By: MereBear22 on 06/13/04 at 11:30 am

I chose Menudo cuz that's where Ricky Martin started out and his voice makes me wanna punch him the throat so he won't be able to offend my sensitive hearing anymore.  :P But seriously, I do not like his music, espicially his "dance moves" if you can call them that.

Written By: woops on 06/13/04 at 4:58 pm

AC/DC!  Without a shadow of a doubt.  Not only the worst band of the 80's, but of all time.

Fluffy.
>:(

:( Well, everybody's entitled to their opnion.  ;)

I don't like Journey though I know many people like the band.
(The reason why I didn't add them on the poll)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/13/04 at 5:10 pm

I don't like Journey though I know many people like the band.
(The reason why I didn't add them on the poll)

I can't stand Journey...:P ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: TimKramar on 06/13/04 at 9:59 pm

8)

Vanilla Ice, To the Extreme? "Ice Ice Baby" was annoying. His hair was annoying. He apparently stole a song from a guy and never credited him (no, I'm not talking about how he stole the riff from "Under Pressure".)

Written By: TimKramar on 06/13/04 at 10:28 pm

8)

I'd have to go with Vanilla Ice. Annoying song, annoying hair, annoying attitude.

To the Extreme? Yeah, right. He stole the hook to the song, he apparently did another song without crediting the original writers...came up on VH-1,

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/14/04 at 1:45 am

Vanilla Ice was 90's...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/04 at 2:22 am

Vanilla Ice was 90's...

Absolutely Vile

I first noticed him in 1990.  He was all done by 1992.  He just didn't know it yet!

Written By: MARTY MCINTOSH on 11/30/04 at 8:46 am

>:( HELLO EVERYONE HERE AT THIS POST FOR THE WORST BAND/ARTIST FROM THE 1980'S I'M VERY ANGRY AT THE THAT SOME ONE WOULD EVEN THINK ABOUT TALKING ABOUT MY BOY RICHARD MARX. HE IS IN MY OPINION THE UNDISIUTED KING OF ROCK AND ROLL FROM THE 80'S 90'S AND THE MILLINIUM. IT IS A SHAME THIS VERY TALENTED SINGER/SONGWRITER WOULD BE RAPED MUSICALLY LIKE THAT. I WAS VERY SURPRISED NOBODY HAS PUT DOWN THE VERY RARE 1980'S TECHNO-BAND MR. MISTER, WHICH IS ANOTHER VERY TALENTED BAND FROM THAT ERA. EVEN NOW TO THIS DAY MILLIONS OF FANS STILL LIKE BOTH RICHARD MARX AND MR.MISTER. AND NATURALLY OFCOURSE EVERYBODY ON HERE IS INTITLED TO THERE OWN OPINION. MR. MISTER IS PRACTICALLY THE ONLY BAND THAT HAD 3 CONSECUDTIVE SINGLES. OUT FROM THERE 1985 HIT ALBUM. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD ALTHOUGH THEY DID NOT LAST LONG ALOT OF PEOPLE STILL LIKE MR. MISTER. AND AS FAR AS MY BOY RICHARD MARX. HE HAS A LOT OF SINGLES OUT NUMBER 1 HIT FULL LENGTH ALBUMS. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YA. I SAY WECLOME TO THE REAL WORLD. MARTY

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:09 am

Sorry to say this.... but I am not a really big Menudo fan.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 11:23 am

Sorry to say this.... but I am not a really big Menudo fan.

You're forgiven. ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:26 am

You're forgiven. ;D

Absolutely Vile

Thanks!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 11:32 am

Thanks!

Welcome...;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/30/04 at 12:40 pm

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Bros! Allong the the NKOTB, they would have had to have been the bane of my miserable highschool existance. Everybody liked them and I was a dag because I didn't. Matt Goss would have to have one of the most irritating voices in the history of bad music. Bros-mania was all set to rival Beatlemania. Then, like so many flash-in -the-pan pop sensations, they were rumoured to be doing drugs and/or gay and were swept under the rug, with all the others whom we'd rather not remember,
A very funny pisstake appeared on the Aussie TV show, The Commedy Company: "Why Should I Be Famous", by Dros, ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 12:45 pm

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Bros! Allong the the NKOTB, they would have had to have been the bane of my miserable highschool existance. Everybody liked them and I was a dag because I didn't. Matt Goss would have to have one of the most irritating voices in the history of bad music. Bros-mania was all set to rival Beatlemania. Then, like so many flash-in -the-pan pop sensations, they were rumoured to be doing drugs and/or gay and were swept under the rug, with all the others whom we'd rather not remember,
A very funny pisstake appeared on the Aussie TV show, The Commedy Company: "Why Should I Be Famous", by Dros, ;D

One of the members of the group is now an actor, and was in Blade 2 as a vampire.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331577/

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/30/04 at 2:26 pm

New Kids on the Block! Unfortunately, I didn't realize it then! I listen to their songs now and they absolutely make me cringe. "What was I thinking?" is a common statement ringing in my head as I hear them again.

Tanya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/04 at 2:51 pm

I went with Milli Vinilli followed by NKOTB (which my niece was sooooo in love with-but I think she changed her ways.  ;))

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 4:35 pm

Definetly Milli Vannilli and NKTOB.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 4:20 pm

W.A.S.P.  I never liked them and still don't

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 5:28 pm

I voted for non-artists Milli Vanilli. Why would some producer use two guys, promise them fame and fortune, to try and pull of a musical "SMOKE AND MIRRORS" BS act? And then leave both Rob and Fabrice..the two guys he suckered into the lie..to fend for themselves when this FOOL producer should have taken the heat too!?!

And of course NKOTB. There's no accounting for taste among some preteen girls..."Oh they're SO cute and SOOO cool!"

Of course I was like that at fourteen years old about Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe,who played Johnny Gage and Roy Desoto on "Emergency!"..as for music I was into Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 5:32 pm

Matthew Wilder and that annoying "Break My Stride" oh gawd if I ever hear that song again I'll destroy my radio...or turn to another station.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 5:45 pm

Matthew Wilder and that annoying "Break My Stride" oh gawd if I ever hear that song again I'll destroy my radio...or turn to another station.

Matthew Wilder also had 2 other hits, and what I still hate him for, is that he was responsible for giving Christina Aguilera a singing career  >:(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/30/05 at 7:04 am

:D

Ain't nothin' gonna break my break my stride,
nobody's gonna slow me down, oh no,
I've got to keep on movin'.
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride,
I'm never gonna walk such ground, oh no,
I've got to keep on movin'.

Yes... that song is pretty bad!

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/01/05 at 12:15 am

1. Kajagogos
2. Boomtown Rats
3. Power Station
Which one is the worst?

Written By: woops on 12/01/05 at 2:39 am

Kenny G & Michael Bolton could be added since they were around in the '80's  :P

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/01/05 at 4:14 am

2. Boomtown Rats
I Don't Like Mondays is a good song

Check for new replies or respond here...