inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Order Song Poll

Written By: woops on 05/13/04 at 2:43 am

My choice: "Blue Monday"

Subject: Re: New Order Song Poll

Written By: Rush on 05/13/04 at 2:53 am

I went with True Faith!

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 2:58 am

Blue Monday followed very closely by True Faith.

Remember when the lead singer formed a group called Electronic in the very late 80s with the lead singer of the Pet Shop Boys? 'Getting away with it' is such a brilliant song.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/13/04 at 3:31 am

Remember when the lead singer formed a group called Electronic in the very late 80s with the lead singer of the Pet Shop Boys? 'Getting away with it' is such a brilliant song.

The Smiths' Johnny Marr was in that as well! :)

Anyway, I chose "True Faith," but I also love "Round And Round" and "Bizarre Love Triangle."

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/13/04 at 8:17 am

Bizarre Love Triangle

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/13/04 at 9:26 am

true faith

Written By: zcrito on 05/13/04 at 9:58 am

Other.

How about  1993's "Regret" ?
Or is this '80s only? ::)

;)

Written By: maddog on 05/13/04 at 11:13 am

One of my favourite bands of all time...many great songs already mentioned - Blue Monday, Regret, True Faith.
My vote went to "Thieves Like Us".

BTW, their 2001 album "Get Ready" is an overlooked classic also, featuring Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins on guitar and (some) vocals.

Written By: krakboi on 05/13/04 at 12:16 pm

I am going to go on my own here and say Ceremony.  I like that it still has that Joy Division sound to it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/13/04 at 12:17 pm

"True Faith"....oh how I loved to dance to that song back in the day!  :D

Written By: Cheetara on 05/13/04 at 4:15 pm

TRUE FAITH  8)

Written By: Lanie on 05/13/04 at 6:16 pm

"Bizarre Love Triangle" followed by "True Faith"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/13/04 at 6:20 pm

Round And Round

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/13/04 at 9:32 pm

"Getting away with it" is an amazing song!  What a perfect band in my eyes. Johnny Marr,Bernard Sumner and Neil Tennant, does it get any better?!

"One of the first supergroups from post-punk Great Britain, Electronic is the on-off project formed by New Order's Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr, former guitarist of the Smiths. The duo released "Getting Away with It" in December 1989, with both Sumner and Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys on vocals. The single just missed the Top Ten in England, but was the end of Electronic for over two years; Sumner and Tennant returned to their respective groups while Marr played on albums by The The and Billy Bragg.

Electronic's sophomore single "Get the Message" finally appeared in April 1991, and an eponymous debut album followed in June. The non-album single "Disappointed" was released just over a year later. Sumner then returned to New Order to record their sixth album Republic, while Marr returned to his sideman role with The The and the Pretenders. The duo reunited to record again — this time with help from former Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos — and released Raise the Pressure in July 1996. Newly signed to the Koch label, Electronic issued their third full-length Twisted Tenderness four years later."

Anyways I chose Bizarre Love Triangle followed closely by True Faith and Blue Monday.

SmithsGirl

Written By: zcrito on 05/13/04 at 10:20 pm

I like "True Faith" but I'm sticking with "Regret". It sounds like "True Faith" on steroids  ;D

New Order
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=eAF3vVH0HK&ean=93624579427

Electronic
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=eAF3vVH0HK&ean=75992638722

;)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/14/04 at 12:20 am

Blue Monday

Written By: mandamoo on 05/14/04 at 7:35 am

Bizarre Love Triangle

Written By: susan68 on 06/28/04 at 6:01 am

confusion. i remember so many remixes of that song. 8)(why does it say wheezy under my name, im not wheezing?)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/28/04 at 6:12 am

Other.  "Elegia"

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/28/04 at 8:50 pm

"Blue Monday"

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 06/28/04 at 9:04 pm

Its a toss up, Blue Monday or True Faith.  Both Classics

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 10:06 pm

I love just about all New Order 1981-1989.  I refuse to listen to anything post-Technique, however.

My all-time favorite single song has got to be
AGE OF CONSENT

Runners-up:
The Perfect Kiss
Everything's Gone Green
Way of Life
Lonesome Tonight
Doubts Even Here
Blue Monday
...and too many more to list!
:)

PopCultureGirl wroteOther.  "Elegia"
Great moody instrumental, I like it a lot.  Also featured in Pretty In Pink
An instrumental worth searching out is "Best and Marsh," from the "Round & Round" single.  Quirky and very cute.

Kraboi wrote: I am going to go on my own here and say Ceremony.  I like that it still has that Joy Division sound to it.
I'm with you there.  "Factus 8" has an especially rich atmosphere.  It couldn't be more different from the drek they were doing in the early '90s.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/09/04 at 1:29 pm

"Bizarre Love Triangle"

Written By: ... (Ellipsis) on 02/14/05 at 2:07 pm

Other.

How about  1993's "Regret" ?
Or is this '80s only? ::)

;)

Hi, Zcrito! How ya doin'? Personally I would be tempted to say it should be strictly for 80s songs (after all, this is the 1980s forum that we're in here), but since New Order had only one big U.S. hit in the 90s ("Regret"), it might not be so bad. OTOH, if it said "Pick your favourite 80s song by New Order", I would "Regret" to say that that choice would be invalid. (After all, it was popular when Bill Clinton was president of the U.S.) So if it said "Pick your favorite 80s New Order song", you'd have to go with something else.

Your friend,

Written By: Alice on 02/14/05 at 4:11 pm

As a huge New Order fan it was very hard for me to decide about the one. But I choosed "Blue Monday" (1983) as it is one of the cruical songs of the '80s as well as entire Rock history too.

BTW their longawaited new single "Krafty" is set for a release on March 07th 2005. I've heard it already and it's great. While their new as longawaited album called "Waiting For The Siren's Call" is due to be released on March 28th 2005. Can't wait for them!

Written By: zcrito on 02/14/05 at 8:28 pm

Hi, Zcrito! How ya doin'? Personally I would be tempted to say it should be strictly for 80s songs (after all, this is the 1980s forum that we're in here), but since New Order had only one big U.S. hit in the 90s ("Regret"), it might not be so bad. OTOH, if it said "Pick your favourite 80s song by New Order", I would "Regret" to say that that choice would be invalid. (After all, it was popular when Bill Clinton was president of the U.S.) So if it said "Pick your favorite 80s New Order song", you'd have to go with something else.

Your friend,

I still think you log in under a name that's posted many times before on this board...I just don't know which just yet.
???

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/14/05 at 8:28 pm

Bizarre Love Triangle followed by Blue Monday

Tanya

Written By: Tam on 02/14/05 at 8:46 pm

Blue Monday although Bizarre comes a close second

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/05 at 3:42 pm

Blue Monday

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/30/05 at 4:55 pm

So many fantastic songs... ultimately, I voted for Bizarre Love Triangle, a song I can really dance to!!! :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 7:31 pm

I liked the Extended Dance Mix of Bizarre Love Triangle, which is the version that was used in the video.  It's also one of very few 80's songs where I actually prefer the remix over the original  :)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 12/01/05 at 1:46 am

"Blue Monday" is so cool -and I like the 12" too. 8)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/01/05 at 4:14 am

Blue Monday... the perfect 80s sounding song  8)

Written By: AFTERSHOCK on 12/01/05 at 2:55 pm

Other :

In A Lonely Place

Deliciously dark, haunting, emotive. It's the only song of theirs I can still react to, since the mainstream has embraced and overplayed most of New Order's dancier tracks for over 20 years.

Written By: headonthedoor on 12/02/05 at 4:52 am

I haven't heard New Orders In a lonely place, just the old Joy Division one.
I voted for Blue Monday, but that's very closely followed by New Orders version of Ceremony.

Check for new replies or respond here...