inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's Overrated: Madonna or Michael Jackson

Written By: woops on 05/13/04 at 7:00 pm

My choice: Both, though I like some of their material from the '80's.  :)

Subject: Re: Who's Overrated: Madonna or Michael Jackson

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 7:07 pm

I voted neither. They have done some great things in the past. It's just a shame that they haven't become the 'legends' they should have been. I reckon if both had 'retired' around 1992, they would have had that status. They didn't leave on top and that was both of their problems as far as I am concerned.

Now, Jacko is considered either a nutcase or a pervert and Madonna has resorted to snogging celebrities as a way of stirring up some inane controversy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/04 at 7:22 pm

I see most people agree with me!
It's a good comparison because they're both genuinely gifted entertainers, and both saw their gifts buried under crappy ideas and naughty scandals of their own making! :P

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/13/04 at 9:16 pm

I voted Neither. I love Madonna, she is talented and beautiful. I grew up listening to all her albums. She was a good role model. She taught women to be strong and independant. Micheal Jackson I also love. Innocent until proven guilty I say. And he can sure dance.

SmithsGirl

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/13/04 at 10:40 pm

I really liked Madonna's first 2 Lp's...have them...AND even Whacko was good through his face transformatiom...which he denies....1979...Rock With You was my LAST interest in this "guy" except for a brief moment in Denver ....1984 they announced that the "Jacksons" concert had sold out just after they told the public about death threats being made against the "Plastic-faced weirdo"  ??? Journeys "Frontiers" LP SO deserved a turn at number one on the LP charts but Flit-boy held them off... >:(

Written By: Lanie on 05/13/04 at 10:48 pm

Both

Written By: Hairspray on 05/14/04 at 12:29 am

Both - They've done no more and no less than a great many other artists. Scandal has kept them in the spotlight more than anything else.

Edited to add: I enjoy their old material up to the very early 90's. Anything after that, nope.

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/14/04 at 7:55 am

I voted neither b/c I feel that they deserved the praise back in the 80's, though I haven't cared for their recent stuff.
But Michael Jackson I think has gone more down hill.

Written By: SuperFreak on 05/14/04 at 9:55 am

I think both were, are and will continue to be very overrated ::)

Written By: Kitten on 05/14/04 at 11:24 am

I think Michael Jackson, in the 80s he definitely was it. But in the the 90s he was freaking terrible! And hes never gotten any better since. Madonna was super controversial, independent and smart which reflected the best in the 80s but she has been able to stay relevent ever since by being able to predict change before it happens. Which makes her not only an amazing artist, but also a really smart business women.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/14/04 at 12:04 pm

I never liked Madonna. IAt least Michael had that skin disease thing going for him. ::)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/14/04 at 1:17 pm

NEITHER

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/14/04 at 2:20 pm

I never really liked Madonna's stuff, but I did like Like A Prayer. I liked Michael Jackson's stuff, but after the 80s he went down hill I think. I don't like neither of their new stuff. I voted Madonna.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/14/04 at 3:18 pm

Neither

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/04 at 5:17 pm

The way I see it, the 80s would have been completely different without these two.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/04 at 8:51 pm

The way I see it, the 80s would have been completely different without these two.
I agree with you, Bobby.  Journey would've hit no. 1 with "Frontiers" and Sean Penn would still be out of the spotlight :D

Written By: stingr22 on 05/14/04 at 10:30 pm

Neither.  It seems as if a lot of people have a very distorted view of the 80s.  Whether you loved or hated Michael or Madonna, there is no denying the legacy these 2 carved out for themselves!

Never mind the scandals and the self promotion.  The mark those two left behind influenced the way pop music and videos were made and the way stars are marketed.  SO MANY artists were and still are influenced by these two trailblazers. 

Whatever your opinion of them might be, there is no way you can deny their place in music history.

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/17/04 at 9:13 am

Like many of you have voted, I think neither.  They were both driving forces back in the 80's.

Written By: smgridley on 05/19/04 at 7:11 pm

Both are overrated.  I do like some of Madonna's material though.  Both are overplayed on the radio, videos and newsstories.  At least Madonna has cleaned up her act quite a bit since her early days

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/09/04 at 1:01 am

I voted Maddonna.I liked her stuff up until  the late 80's.I think Like A Prayer was her last song I liked.Everything else after that is crap.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/12/16 at 11:26 pm

Michael's sales record was so huge from 1979 to 1993, I don't think many artists will even reach half of that type of hype, or worldwide domination. But I guess since you're talking more about his music than sales, the guy wasn't overrated, at least not in my eyes. He was the only one to reach the 'Elvis' type phenomenon. Why? His videos were larger than life, his dance moves intense, and his music lively and innovative.

As for Madonna, she's so calculating, she's more of a marketer, or someone making political statements, rather than a singer. Do I think she's overrated as a singer? Yes. Do I think she's overrated as an artist? No, I think she makes great art. I just look at her as more of an artist rather than a singer. I'm kind of concerned for her, because her last album, Rebel Heart, didn't sale so well. It probably is just normal for an artist 33/34 years into his/her career, to not sale as well as they did in the beginning. But I also feel her being constantly late to her concerts, and sometimes being rude, can alienate her more casual fans, whom aren't going to bow at her every command. Casual fans can help boost your career.

I'm sure, Madonna being Madonna, she'll find a way, to rise like a phoenix, and make another hit record again. Although even Michael experienced a sales dip after the mid-90s, due his eccentricities and accusations (which may, or may not, be true, I'll hold my tongue on this subject). So Madonna may sale, but not like she did in the 80's, 90s, and 00's.

I voted neither, when it comes to who is overrated. They're both good in their own ways.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/13/16 at 12:01 am

I really enjoy both artists, but in a decade so stuffed with untouchable music acts, I wouldn't personally consider either of them significantly greater than anybody else.

Michael Jackson's impact on music is widely overstated. His Thriller album, while producing some exquisite singles, was hardly that groundbreaking compared to the post-disco that had predated it during the early 80s. Off the Wall was also basically just a progression of dance music at the time, despite being a great album. Prince was really the more innovative black musical figure of the 1980s who successfully bridged the gap between white and black music (or, arguably, black music and black music claimed by whites, but that's another matter...), it's just that he didn't sport the same mind-blowing dance moves or music videos as Jackson.

My vote for Madonna as well is specifically based on her immeasurable popularity in the mid-80s, before she took more creative control over her music and churned out distinct masterpieces such as "Like a Prayer," "Dear Jessie," and "Live to Tell." Her first two albums pretty much blended with other female dance-pop albums of the time. I would argue that Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" was the true beginning of what most people associate with 80s Madonna, but since Madonna was a younger and fresher face with a candy-tainted, youthful voice, she sort of just replaced her as the leading figure of the movement once the mid-80s started. As with Michael Jackson's Thriller, Madonna's first two albums had excellent singles but were otherwise not as consistent as several other, slightly more obscure releases of the same variety such as Laura Branigan's Self Control, Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual, or Bananarama's self-titled 1984 album.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/16 at 12:07 am

I do agree with #Infinity, Madonna's later albums were waaay better in quality. Although I do like Lucky Star, Borderline, and Into The Groove.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/16 at 7:22 am

I do agree with #Infinity, Madonna's later albums were waaay better in quality. Although I do like Lucky Star, Borderline, and Into The Groove.

I grew up with watching Michael Jackson and Madonna's earlier music videos, those I can relate to.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/16 at 10:25 am

Neither of them are overrated in my opinion. They were quintessential during the 80s and 90s, especially when they were everywhere around the world at the time. When Michael Jackson died in 2009, pretty much everybody who loved him during the 80s and 90s flooded Google, Twitter, and Facebook so much, that they had to temporarily shut down their sites so it wouldn't crash that much.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/16 at 10:57 am

I grew up with watching Michael Jackson and Madonna's earlier music videos, those I can relate to.

Although they still had huge hits in the 90's, they're both so 80s!!  :D  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/16 at 10:59 am

Neither of them are overrated in my opinion. They were quintessential during the 80s and 90s, especially when they were everywhere around the world at the time. When Michael Jackson died in 2009, pretty much everybody who loved him during the 80s and 90s flooded Google, Twitter, and Facebook so much, that they had to temporarily shut down their sites so it wouldn't crash that much.

It was a horrible year for me (2009) so I didn't pay attention to things much, that year.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/16 at 1:59 pm

Although they still had huge hits in the 90's, they're both so 80s!!  :D  :D

Michael in his videos had a coolness to him and Madonna had a lot of sex appeal, made you want to fall in love with her.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/16 at 2:12 pm

Michael in his videos had a coolness to him and Madonna had a lot of sex appeal, made you want to fall in love with her.

Madonna in 1984.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/3/36/Madonna_-_Lucky_Star_(screenshot).png

Written By: Howard on 08/13/16 at 2:52 pm

Madonna in 1984.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/3/36/Madonna_-_Lucky_Star_(screenshot).png

She had a lot of sexy videos because she showed some skin.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 08/15/16 at 8:35 pm

(Trying to put myself back into the mindset I had ca 1985-1988.  Also, talking strictly about the music, not the visual or theatrical aspects of their art.)  I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying overrated, but I sometimes felt a bit of a disconnect between my reaction and that of many other people.  Both of their 1980s stuff was not bad.  It's just that this was the time in my life when my cultural horizons were broadening, meaning that I was opening my ears and eyes to a lot of older things.  Seeing Hitchcock, Kubrick and other classic film makers puts John Hughes into perspective.  On the music front, I was most interested in the 60s and 70s at that time.

I agree with #Infinity that Madonna's earliest music was not particularly special.  I was not a big fan of her first two albums, but felt they were OK.  Her later work that decade was much more interesting.  Michael Jackson was sort of the opposite case.  Thriller was a great album, but I was much more into his _earlier_ work with the Jackson 5 than I was into Bad.

J2xc8xZ0tV0

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/16 at 8:49 pm

She had a lot of sexy videos because she showed some skin.

Yup.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/16 at 7:43 am

(Trying to put myself back into the mindset I had ca 1985-1988.  Also, talking strictly about the music, not the visual or theatrical aspects of their art.)  I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying overrated, but I sometimes felt a bit of a disconnect between my reaction and that of many other people.  Both of their 1980s stuff was not bad.  It's just that this was the time in my life when my cultural horizons were broadening, meaning that I was opening my ears and eyes to a lot of older things.  Seeing Hitchcock, Kubrick and other classic film makers puts John Hughes into perspective.  On the music front, I was most interested in the 60s and 70s at that time.

I agree with #Infinity that Madonna's earliest music was not particularly special.  I was not a big fan of her first two albums, but felt they were OK.  Her later work that decade was much more interesting.  Michael Jackson was sort of the opposite case.  Thriller was a great album, but I was much more into his _earlier_ work with the Jackson 5 than I was into Bad.

J2xc8xZ0tV0

Which ones? The ones from 1983 and 1984? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/16/16 at 8:57 am

While I think they aren't overrated as they constitute the best of the decade, I'm leaning toward Madonna, since she basically conforms to the "image/marketing" is everything campaign that still continued right up through to Janet, Britney, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry. I'd say that anything between Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light is her best work. Her early stuff I'll admit is fun and is what I now call "Good Time Oldies" music, but most of the best movements in dance music at the time (Hi-NRG, Freestyle, House) were underground, by one-or two-hit wonder artists, or on the fringes of the mainstream. Madonna's singing is a typical "transatlantic" vocal that while very noticeable, isn't as dramatic as a Whitney Houston, Debbie Harry, or Donna Summer. And happy birthday Madonna!

Much of Michael Jackson's success is owed to Quincy Jones, who at the time was already a veteran and helped artists ranging from Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, and Lesley Gore. But unlike Madonna which MTV would play once the buzz flowed, Michael Jackson had to fight against MTV to get airplay of his "Billie Jean" video. That said, I think Michael had the better songs and had a more distinct vocal style. You also can't forget his Jackson 5/Jacksons phase, a strong testament to how one of the few child stars evolve into a successful adult artist. He just pushed it too far away from his music in the '90s where North America had lost he respect and became a guilty pleasure, and happened to have more respect elsewhere.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 08/19/16 at 4:26 am

Which ones? The ones from 1983 and 1984? ???

Yes: Madonna (1983) and Like A Virgin (1984).  I'm not saying they were bad.  Catchy songs and fun to listen to.  Just not anything earth shattering.  Madonna's best of the decade was Like A Prayer in 1989, which I would absolutely include on my list of iconic albums of the 80s, along with MJ's 1983 Thriller.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 7:33 am

Anyone notice that her voice on her first two albums were more girlish, high pitched, and childish? My guess was she was trying to reel in the teenybopper crowd.

Her voice on songs such as Papa Don't Preach and Like A Prayer sound deeper and mature. But of course, still womanly.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 7:35 am

As for Michael Jackson, I prefer his Bad and Dangerous albums. 

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 8:18 am

As for Michael Jackson, I prefer his Bad and Dangerous albums.

same here.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 8:21 am

same here.

Really??

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 1:41 pm

Really??

After the 80's were over, he became a bit more edgier.

Written By: Starlighter on 09/01/16 at 8:18 pm

I voted for Madonna.  She's a genius at calling attention to herself which leads to some great marketing, but I often wonder if and how her music career would have been different if it hadn't been for all the controversy, marketing.  Don't get me wrong, I like her music, but in my opinion there were better artists who didn't receive nearly as much attention as Madonna. 

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/02/16 at 12:28 am

All I gotta say is that both were excellent hit-makers during their 80's peak.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/16 at 12:32 am

All I gotta say is that both were excellent hit-makers during their 80's peak.
O0

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/16 at 1:17 am

Look everybody, it's Madonna!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1gqnO2z0wZmz7iPF4mfCQLxr_bmj2xs-BEykxIUz-pHXllDc3og

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/16 at 1:19 am

And Michael Jackson!

http://weknowyourdreams.com/images/ghost/ghost-01.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/16 at 1:23 am

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/2/13/16/enhanced-buzz-25863-1360790286-1.jpg

Them in 1991.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/16 at 7:28 am

I voted for Madonna.  She's a genius at calling attention to herself which leads to some great marketing, but I often wonder if and how her music career would have been different if it hadn't been for all the controversy, marketing.  Don't get me wrong, I like her music, but in my opinion there were better artists who didn't receive nearly as much attention as Madonna. 

I'm pretty sure it would be the same.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 2:38 am

I find that I can split Madonna's career in three phases so far.

1982 to 1992- The Dominant Years, especially 1985 to 1992.
1992 to 2003- Artistic experiments/More mature sound/ and Image reparation years
2003 to 2015- Grand tour years/Guy Ritchie Years/Carving out her legacy
2015 to ??- Solidifying her legacy/Many awards/Waning period

Written By: #Infinity on 12/14/16 at 12:14 pm

I'd say this:

1979-1981: Pre-Madonna Era - In 1979, Madonna is the drummer for Breakfast Club (who would become a one-hit wonder 8 years later for "Right on Track") before embarking on a solo career. At first, she is not a dance-pop musician but rather a new wave singer in the vein of Pat Benatar and Debbie Harry, but she also records a bit of synthpop. Her early recordings show up on the Pre-Madonna compilation, including a rock version of "Burning Up."

1982-1983: Rising Star Era - Madonna is signed by Warner Brothers and releases her first single, "Everybody" in 1982. It is rather unsuccessful but does garner some underground attention. She releases her self-titled debut the following summer, but it would take half a year for it to start achieving success.

1984-1985: Material Girl Era - Madonna finally becomes a superstar when "Holiday" becomes a Top 20 hit at the start of 1984. She ultimately emerges the biggest female pop singer in the world by the time Like a Virgin comes out. At this point, she is basically just inheriting the same torch that Olivia Newton-John was carrying in the early 1980s, not really breaking any musical ground but captivating millions with her colorfully seductive music videos and spicy image.

1986-1990: Like a Prayer Era - With Janet Jackson emerging a significant rival to Madonna's Queen on Pop crown, Ms. Ciccone starts to significantly mature as an artist during the late 1980s and beginning of the 1990s. Her songs are much darker, less cutesy, more artistically variable, and frequently rebellious, often resulting in significant controversy. Nonetheless, it's definitely her work from this period of time that solidified her immortality in the history of popular music, having aged much better than her first two albums.

1991-1997: 90s Era - With popular music transforming dramatically as this decade unfolds, Madonna begins tackling house music in the early 90s and later that funky mid-90s style with Bedtime Stories. She is perhaps even naughtier during this period than she was in the late 80s, from "Justify My Love," to her Erotica album, to her infamous Letterman interview in 1994. She does still consistently maintain strong showings on the Billboard charts, but her work during this time is mostly overlooked. In 1996, Madonna is the starring role theatrical adaptation of Evita, which received mixed reviews but did give her a couple more hits in "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry for Me Argentina."

1998-2007: Renaissance Era - Madonna makes a sudden artistic comeback in 1998 with her innovative Ray of Light album, which is debatably her magnum opus, even over Like a Prayer. From hereon out, she records a slew of concept albums, most of them dance/electronica-style and as such often performing a bit better in Europe than the United States. While American Life receives mixed reviews and less commercial success, Madonna is consistently fearless and inventive in her work throughout this period.

2008-2013: Twilight Era (no thematic correlation with the coincidentally simultaneous Twilight Saga film franchise) - After several albums of creative ambition, Madonna finally returns to safer, more contemporary pop. I personally like her Hard Candy album, but considering it was produced by people like Timbaland and the Neptunes, both of whom were super famous at the time, it wasn't really breaking any boundaries for popular music like her earlier work was. Her first non-Warner Bros. album, MDNA, is in the same vein. Considering Madonna had been famous for a quarter of a century by this point, it's impressive she was still able to score huge hits when she was roughly 50. This was the last time, however, that she was still a true chart presence.

2014-present: Has-Been Era - After three impressive decades of superstardom, Madonna finally seems to have faded from commercial relevance. Her mostly trashy Rebel Heart album doesn't sell particularly well, and it fails to produce any truly massive hit singles, though some perform decently in certain countries. Frankly, it's for good reason. When you're in your mid-50s, solidified your reputation as one of the greatest pop singers of all time, and reached veteran status, there's something seriously awry when one of your new singles is called "B***h I'm Madonna" and it's a collaboration with Nicki Minaj. From hereon out, expect her to continue releasing new albums that will enter the iTunes top 10 when they're released and then fall off after like two weeks.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 12:54 pm

I'd say this:

1979-1981: Pre-Madonna Era - In 1979, Madonna is the drummer for Breakfast Club (who would become a one-hit wonder 8 years later for "Right on Track") before embarking on a solo career. At first, she is not a dance-pop musician but rather a new wave singer in the vein of Pat Benatar and Debbie Harry, but she also records a bit of synthpop. Her early recordings show up on the Pre-Madonna compilation, including a rock version of "Burning Up."

1982-1983: Rising Star Era - Madonna is signed by Warner Brothers and releases her first single, "Everybody" in 1982. It is rather unsuccessful but does garner some underground attention. She releases her self-titled debut the following summer, but it would take half a year for it to start achieving success.

1984-1985: Material Girl Era - Madonna finally becomes a superstar when "Holiday" becomes a Top 20 hit at the start of 1984. She ultimately emerges the biggest female pop singer in the world by the time Like a Virgin comes out. At this point, she is basically just inheriting the same torch that Olivia Newton-John was carrying in the early 1980s, not really breaking any musical ground but captivating millions with her colorfully seductive music videos and spicy image.

1986-1990: Like a Prayer Era - With Janet Jackson emerging a significant rival to Madonna's Queen on Pop crown, Ms. Ciccone starts to significantly mature as an artist during the late 1980s and beginning of the 1990s. Her songs are much darker, less cutesy, more artistically variable, and frequently rebellious, often resulting in significant controversy. Nonetheless, it's definitely her work from this period of time that solidified her immortality in the history of popular music, having aged much better than her first two albums.

1991-1997: 90s Era - With popular music transforming dramatically as this decade unfolds, Madonna begins tackling house music in the early 90s and later that funky mid-90s style with Bedtime Stories. She is perhaps even naughtier during this period than she was in the late 80s, from "Justify My Love," to her Erotica album, to her infamous Letterman interview in 1994. She does still consistently maintain strong showings on the Billboard charts, but her work during this time is mostly overlooked. In 1996, Madonna is the starring role theatrical adaptation of Evita, which received mixed reviews but did give her a couple more hits in "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry for Me Argentina."

1998-2007: Renaissance Era - Madonna makes a sudden artistic comeback in 1998 with her innovative Ray of Light album, which is debatably her magnum opus, even over Like a Prayer. From hereon out, she records a slew of concept albums, most of them dance/electronica-style and as such often performing a bit better in Europe than the United States. While American Life receives mixed reviews and less commercial success, Madonna is consistently fearless and inventive in her work throughout this period.

2008-2013: Twilight Era (no thematic correlation with the coincidentally simultaneous Twilight Saga film franchise) - After several albums of creative ambition, Madonna finally returns to safer, more contemporary pop. I personally like her Hard Candy album, but considering it was produced by people like Timbaland and the Neptunes, both of whom were super famous at the time, it wasn't really breaking any boundaries for popular music like her earlier work was. Her first non-Warner Bros. album, MDNA, is in the same vein. Considering Madonna had been famous for a quarter of a century by this point, it's impressive she was still able to score huge hits when she was roughly 50. This was the last time, however, that she was still a true chart presence.

2014-present: Has-Been Era - After three impressive decades of superstardom, Madonna finally seems to have faded from commercial relevance. Her mostly trashy Rebel Heart album doesn't sell particularly well, and it fails to produce any truly massive hit singles, though some perform decently in certain countries. Frankly, it's for good reason. When you're in your mid-50s, solidified your reputation as one of the greatest pop singers of all time, and reached veteran status, there's something seriously awry when one of your new singles is called "B***h I'm Madonna" and it's a collaboration with Nicki Minaj. From hereon out, expect her to continue releasing new albums that will enter the iTunes top 10 when they're released and then fall off after like two weeks.

Has-been era.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 12:58 pm

Michael Jackson signed autographs for his fans, Madonna does not!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 1:01 pm

It must have been a thriller to get his autograph.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 1:11 pm

It must have been a thriller to get his autograph.
...and it was not dangerous to ask?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 1:39 pm

...and it was not dangerous to ask?

It wasn't too off the wall!

Written By: #Infinity on 12/14/16 at 1:40 pm

It wasn't too off the wall!

And you would've felt bad had you not succeeded.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 2:06 pm

And you would've felt bad had you not succeeded.

Unfortunately After Thriller, Michael's weird obsessions started to show itself more and more.

As big stars as Michael and Madonna were/are, they are flawed enough people to make fun of!  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/14/16 at 2:45 pm

I find that I can split Madonna's career in three phases so far.

1982 to 1992- The Dominant Years, especially 1985 to 1992.
1992 to 2003- Artistic experiments/More mature sound/ and Image reparation years
2003 to 2015- Grand tour years/Guy Ritchie Years/Carving out her legacy
2015 to ??- Solidifying her legacy/Many awards/Waning period

How about splitting Michael's career?

Written By: Howard on 12/14/16 at 2:46 pm

Michael Jackson signed autographs for his fans, Madonna does not!

Why not?

Written By: #Infinity on 12/14/16 at 5:09 pm

1970-1972: Jackson 5 Era - Michael is the lead singer of the Jackson 5 boyband, which absolutely dominates the pop charts in 1970 and is also very popular in 1971 and 1972, despite competition against the Osmonds. Jackson also finds success with his 1972 solo albums, Got to Be There and Ben.

1973-1978: Recessionary Era - After being one of the most famous kids on the planet during the early 70s, Michael Jackson suddenly struggled to find commercial success during the mid and late 70s. Excluding Music & Me, this is the first time Jackson's voice has cracked, and throughout his adolescence, Motown struggled to promote him during an age most people still remembered him as a kid. Although he remained in the public eye thanks to the occasional hit by the Jackson 5 (later the Jacksons), this was a difficult period for Michael, although "One Day in Your Life" and "Farewell My Summer Love" later became big international hits when rereleased in the 1980s.

1979-1992: King of Pop Era - Released right around the time disco was thought to be dead, Off the Wall reinvented dance music with dexterous grooves, innovative harmonies, and a now-confident vocal talent, solidifying Jackson's comeback as a solo artist and instantly transforming him into the biggest pop singer in the world. Continuing this new kick with Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous, the King of Pop scored hit after hit, expanding his versatility and wowing everybody with his revolutionary dance moves.

1993-2002: Decline Era - With the first major charges against Jackson for child abuse in 1993, the King of Pop's untouchable reputation was suddenly being heavily threatened. It also didn't help that his numerous plastic surgeries, by this point, had spoiled his former physical attractiveness. While he still released new songs that achieved big chart success throughout this period, not only were they less consistent, they were a far cry from the quality of his Golden Age material.

2003-2008: Trial Era - By far the worst period of Jackson's lifetime, an era during which whenever he was mentioned in a discussion, it was always because of his repulsive appearance or his child molestation accusations. He released no new music during this period and was instead just a ravaged pariah who tabloids and Internet publications gobbled up like pop tarts. People almost forgot how popular the man was a few decades earlier.

2009-present: Martyr Era - Immediately after it was announced that Michael Jackson was dead at 50 on June 25, 2009, the constant lampooning of his more recent activities vanished and he was mourned across the entire world by practically everybody. Suddenly, his reputation was once again as a musical legend, and the primary images associated with him were either his early 70s Jackson 5 incarnation or his 80s moonwalker look. It's actually almost like the updated version of Return of the Jedi, in which Hayden Christensen appears as Anakin Sykwalker's ghost after the character's older incarnation, both Darth Vader (Trial Era Jackson) and Sebastian Shaw (Jackson during the rehearsals for This Is It). Jackson's posthumous albums have been controversial, but the song "Love Never Felt So Good" did turn out a surprise hit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 5:11 pm

Why not?
Madonna just does not sign!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 5:56 pm

His life wasn't the same after 1993, let's just say that. And it was probably a living hell from 2003 and after.
Whether he did do those things to any kids, or not, his blurry boundaries with kids/early adolescents didn't help his image.  :P

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:16 am

His life wasn't the same after 1993, let's just say that. And it was probably a living hell from 2003 and after.
Whether he did do those things to any kids, or not, his blurry boundaries with kids/early adolescents didn't help his image.  :P

I think people thought of him as a child pedophile.

Written By: Starlighter on 12/15/16 at 7:02 pm

I think people thought of him as a child pedophile.

Most did and his career never recovered because of this.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 7:20 am

Most did and his career never recovered because of this.

and Madonna's career soared.

Check for new replies or respond here...