inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's Overrated: Madonna or Michael Jackson

Written By: woops on 05/13/04 at 7:00 pm

My choice: Both, though I like some of their material from the '80's.  :)

Subject: Re: Who's Overrated: Madonna or Michael Jackson

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 7:07 pm

I voted neither. They have done some great things in the past. It's just a shame that they haven't become the 'legends' they should have been. I reckon if both had 'retired' around 1992, they would have had that status. They didn't leave on top and that was both of their problems as far as I am concerned.

Now, Jacko is considered either a nutcase or a pervert and Madonna has resorted to snogging celebrities as a way of stirring up some inane controversy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/04 at 7:22 pm

I see most people agree with me!
It's a good comparison because they're both genuinely gifted entertainers, and both saw their gifts buried under crappy ideas and naughty scandals of their own making! :P

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/13/04 at 9:16 pm

I voted Neither. I love Madonna, she is talented and beautiful. I grew up listening to all her albums. She was a good role model. She taught women to be strong and independant. Micheal Jackson I also love. Innocent until proven guilty I say. And he can sure dance.

SmithsGirl

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/13/04 at 10:40 pm

I really liked Madonna's first 2 Lp's...have them...AND even Whacko was good through his face transformatiom...which he denies....1979...Rock With You was my LAST interest in this "guy" except for a brief moment in Denver ....1984 they announced that the "Jacksons" concert had sold out just after they told the public about death threats being made against the "Plastic-faced weirdo"  ??? Journeys "Frontiers" LP SO deserved a turn at number one on the LP charts but Flit-boy held them off... >:(

Written By: Lanie on 05/13/04 at 10:48 pm

Both

Written By: Hairspray on 05/14/04 at 12:29 am

Both - They've done no more and no less than a great many other artists. Scandal has kept them in the spotlight more than anything else.

Edited to add: I enjoy their old material up to the very early 90's. Anything after that, nope.

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/14/04 at 7:55 am

I voted neither b/c I feel that they deserved the praise back in the 80's, though I haven't cared for their recent stuff.
But Michael Jackson I think has gone more down hill.

Written By: SuperFreak on 05/14/04 at 9:55 am

I think both were, are and will continue to be very overrated ::)

Written By: Kitten on 05/14/04 at 11:24 am

I think Michael Jackson, in the 80s he definitely was it. But in the the 90s he was freaking terrible! And hes never gotten any better since. Madonna was super controversial, independent and smart which reflected the best in the 80s but she has been able to stay relevent ever since by being able to predict change before it happens. Which makes her not only an amazing artist, but also a really smart business women.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/14/04 at 12:04 pm

I never liked Madonna. IAt least Michael had that skin disease thing going for him. ::)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/14/04 at 1:17 pm

NEITHER

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/14/04 at 2:20 pm

I never really liked Madonna's stuff, but I did like Like A Prayer. I liked Michael Jackson's stuff, but after the 80s he went down hill I think. I don't like neither of their new stuff. I voted Madonna.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/14/04 at 3:18 pm

Neither

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/04 at 5:17 pm

The way I see it, the 80s would have been completely different without these two.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/04 at 8:51 pm

The way I see it, the 80s would have been completely different without these two.
I agree with you, Bobby.  Journey would've hit no. 1 with "Frontiers" and Sean Penn would still be out of the spotlight :D

Written By: stingr22 on 05/14/04 at 10:30 pm

Neither.  It seems as if a lot of people have a very distorted view of the 80s.  Whether you loved or hated Michael or Madonna, there is no denying the legacy these 2 carved out for themselves!

Never mind the scandals and the self promotion.  The mark those two left behind influenced the way pop music and videos were made and the way stars are marketed.  SO MANY artists were and still are influenced by these two trailblazers. 

Whatever your opinion of them might be, there is no way you can deny their place in music history.

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/17/04 at 9:13 am

Like many of you have voted, I think neither.  They were both driving forces back in the 80's.

Written By: smgridley on 05/19/04 at 7:11 pm

Both are overrated.  I do like some of Madonna's material though.  Both are overplayed on the radio, videos and newsstories.  At least Madonna has cleaned up her act quite a bit since her early days

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/09/04 at 1:01 am

I voted Maddonna.I liked her stuff up until  the late 80's.I think Like A Prayer was her last song I liked.Everything else after that is crap.

Check for new replies or respond here...