inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smiths

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/13/04 at 10:40 pm

What I find most depressing about the smiths is not only the lyrics, but the whole act of them breaking up.

Although  I am liking some of morrisseys new stuff.

Bands these days do not have as much tragedy as they used to in the past. 

Subject: Re: Smiths

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/13/04 at 10:58 pm

I would not say that the lyrics of The Smiths were depressing. I think what was depressing was the fact that I could relate so well to the lyrics themselves. The Smiths had lyrics to take solace in because I knew that I was not the only person in the world feeling or thinking that way. Putting on the albums were like being with a friend that could understand me.

After all they were the songs that saved your life!

SmithsGirl

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/22/04 at 7:04 pm

I wholeheartedly agree, SmithsGirl! Morrissey is like the understanding big brother I wish I had. If ever I needed someone to turn to, he was always there. I never found The Smiths depressing at all! Actually, as I listen to them lately, the lyrics are more tongue-in-cheek than depressing! But still very insightful and moving. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 05/22/04 at 7:19 pm

I would not say that the lyrics of The Smiths were depressing. I think what was depressing was the fact that I could relate so well to the lyrics themselves. The Smiths had lyrics to take solace in because I knew that I was not the only person in the world feeling or thinking that way. Putting on the albums were like being with a friend that could understand me.

After all they were the songs that saved your life!

The turning point I had was when I heard Morrissey's 'Every day feels like Sunday'. That title alone totally threw me - someone understood.  :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/22/04 at 7:24 pm

The turning point I had was when I heard Morrissey's 'Every day feels like Sunday'. That title alone totally threw me - someone understood.  :)

Erm...Bobby...The song is called "Every Day Is Like Sunday!" ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 05/22/04 at 8:54 pm

Erm...Bobby...The song is called "Every Day Is Like Sunday!" ;D

Absolutely Vile

It was the closest I got without looking for the title. It still threw me.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/04 at 1:26 am

Absolutely Vile wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree, SmithsGirl! Morrissey is like the understanding big brother I wish I had. If ever I needed someone to turn to, he was always there. I never found The Smiths depressing at all! Actually, as I listen to them lately, the lyrics are more tongue-in-cheek than depressing! But still very insightful and moving.
I second this.  I could relate to so much of Morrissey's thinking as a teenager, and still as an adult!  He is a gay songwriter without being a gay songwriter.  Anyone can relate who has felt alienated, lonely, like he/she doesn't fit in...and doesn't even want to fit in !
;)

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/23/04 at 9:42 am

I believe Morrissey to be the most clever songwriter ever!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/23/04 at 9:53 am

I believe Morrissey to be the most clever songwriter ever!

Oh absolutely! He writes some of the most witty, clever, personal, touching...and even hilarious lyrics ever! He's brilliant! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/23/04 at 9:57 am

He is a gay songwriter without being a gay songwriter.

That's where you're wrong...sort of. Morrissey has never, ever (unless there's been some revelation that I've missed) professed that he was either gay, straight, or bisexual. He once claimed to be asexual. However, you would think that with some of the songs he's written (like "This Charming Man," for example) that he was gay. But I think he'll take that mystery to his grave!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/23/04 at 10:22 am

Oh absolutely! He writes some of the most witty, clever, personal, touching...and even hilarious lyrics ever! He's brilliant! :)

Absolutely Vile

Amen Absolutely Vile, Amen!  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...