inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artists/Bands from the '80's you Secretly Like

Written By: woops on 05/15/04 at 1:39 am

My choice: Poison

Though I'll admit that I also like a couple songs from Debbie Gibson, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Wham!, George Michael, Expose', Paula Abdul, The Jets, and Kylie Minogue.

And only like "Seventeen" (Winger) & "Heaven" (Warrant).

Subject: Re: Artists/Bands from the '80's you Secretly Like

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/04 at 8:57 pm

WHAM

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/16/04 at 11:13 pm

I liked most of the list, with the BIG exception of George Michael.  Please shoot me if I ever start liking George Michael.

Written By: Revolution Baby on 05/17/04 at 9:16 am

I LOVE Rick Astley and Milli Vanilli... it's no secret and I'll never feel guilty about liking them ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/17/04 at 9:47 am

i liked samantha fox...but for other reasons :-[

Written By: AL-B on 05/17/04 at 9:56 am

Other--Motley Crue has become a guilty pleasure for me...

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/17/04 at 10:23 am

I chose Wham! I see nothing wrong with liking them. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/17/04 at 11:08 am

Mine is not from that list. Eurythmics. Because I'm only thirteen all the kids in my school prefer modern music. And everyone would take the mick if I told them I like Eurythmics. When I'm listening to them on my walkman and someone says, "What you listening to?" I say, "SLIPKNOT!"

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/17/04 at 11:32 am

Wham
The Jets. But it's not a secret.

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/17/04 at 11:43 am

I like alot of those artist openly...but unless it comes up like now...I was a HUGE NKOTB fan. I even went to one of their concerts and touched Donnie Walberg's arm ::)...it was all nice and sweaty... :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/17/04 at 11:57 am

I liked pretty much all from the list, no problems.  But one not from the list that I really liked was Fine Young Cannibals, and people told me I was gay for listening to them.

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/17/04 at 12:50 pm

I chose Lisa Lisa, although I listen to alot of others on the list too.  And I'll admit it!!!

Written By: Kitten on 05/17/04 at 2:12 pm

Cutting Crew, (I Just) Died in your arms tonight! Now some of you might not think this is such a loser type song, but it is when you know all the words and tend to belt them out whenever you hear the song... or even just driving because that song is stuck in your head. . . or walking down the street even . . .etc.    I have a problem      :-\\

Written By: pedestrianwolf on 05/17/04 at 2:13 pm

Other--Motley Crue has become a guilty pleasure for me...

i'm with you, AL-B.  buttrock holds a very special place in my heart to this day... there is a time and a place for it, but when it's right i really like motley crue.

Written By: AL-B on 05/17/04 at 2:34 pm

i'm with you, AL-B.  buttrock holds a very special place in my heart to this day... there is a time and a place for it, but when it's right i really like motley crue.
BUTTROCK???That's a new one ;D ;D ;D

Written By: pedestrianwolf on 05/17/04 at 2:37 pm

BUTTROCK???That's a new one ;D ;D ;D

LOL, i guess you haven't heard that one before.... the term "buttrock" generally applies to the hair metal bands of the 80s.

Written By: Lanie on 05/17/04 at 6:27 pm

Kylie Minogue

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 05/17/04 at 7:35 pm

I chose New Edition, and I'm not ashamed of it either!!! :) I also kinda like Milli Vanilli, even if they can't sing their own songs!

Rio

Written By: Hairspray on 05/17/04 at 9:15 pm

I'm sure I liked at least 1 song from every one of those bands/artists and it's no secret. :)

Written By: AL-B on 05/17/04 at 10:22 pm

LOL, i guess you haven't heard that one before.... the term "buttrock" generally applies to the hair metal bands of the 80s.
I usually call it "cheese-metal," a friend of mine calls it "nerf-metal." Despite their poofy-hair and make-up and Spandex, I think Motley Crue actually rocks.

Written By: Bobby on 05/18/04 at 4:05 am

I LOVE Rick Astley and Milli Vanilli... it's no secret and I'll never feel guilty about liking them ;D

I say it loud and proud. I loved most of Rick Astley's hits in the late 80s (Never gonna give you up was played at a party I remember fondly). Milli Vanilli songs were great as well. 'Don't forget my number' is a favourite.  :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/18/04 at 11:32 am

Never heard it called buttrock before.  Hair bands is usually what Ive heard it called.

Written By: redhead007 on 05/18/04 at 3:21 pm

Gotta be Kylie for me, though it's no secret (haha, little pun there from one of her song titles) amongst my friends. They all know I really enjoy Kylie's music.

Written By: Cheetara on 05/18/04 at 4:36 pm

Milli Vanilli
New Edition  (god!  I had such a crush on Ralph Tresvant!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 4:58 pm

I don't like anyone from the list, secretly or openly, but there are plenty of cheesy '80s artists I secretly like, or I should say, I like, though they run against the grain of my tastes.  To name a few:
Dead or Alive
Wang Chung
Cyndi Lauper
Billy Idol
Daryl Hall & John Oates
Bonnie Tyler
Berlin
Huey Lewis & The News

It's hard to admit I like a lot of Billy Idol's hit songs, because I find him repulsive.  Daryl Hall said they preferred "Daryl Hall & John Oates," because Hall & Oates sounds like a law firm.  I like Bonnie Tyler, including Jim Steinman's "Total Eclipse of the Heart," but NOT "Holding Out for A Hero."  I like some, but not all, Huey Lewis.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 5:00 pm

I thought Buttrock was more "working class" than the L.A. hair metal scene.  Maybe bands like Saga, Vandenburg, Steel Breeze, Survivor, Night Ranger, and Bon Jovi.

What about the term c*ckrock?  What's the distinction there?

Written By: woops on 05/18/04 at 6:08 pm

:
Dead or Alive
Wang Chung
Cyndi Lauper
Billy Idol
Daryl Hall & John Oates
Bonnie Tyler
Berlin
Huey Lewis & The News

IMO, I don't consider these artists "guilty pleasures". 
Though everybody is intitled to their opinion.  :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/18/04 at 8:53 pm

Daryl Hall said they preferred "Daryl Hall & John Oates," because Hall & Oates sounds like a law firm. 

I never thought of that.  Until I saw the bands name written down, I always thought it was "Haulin' Oats".  Like on a farm wagon or something.  My dad calls them "Haulin' Ass".

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/19/04 at 7:18 am

I don't like anyone from the list, secretly or openly, but there are plenty of cheesy '80s artists I secretly like, or I should say, I like, though they run against the grain of my tastes.  To name a few:
Dead or Alive
Wang Chung
Cyndi Lauper
Billy Idol
Daryl Hall & John Oates
Bonnie Tyler
Berlin
Huey Lewis & The News

It's hard to admit I like a lot of Billy Idol's hit songs, because I find him repulsive.  Daryl Hall said they preferred "Daryl Hall & John Oates," because Hall & Oates sounds like a law firm.  I like Bonnie Tyler, including Jim Steinman's "Total Eclipse of the Heart," but NOT "Holding Out for A Hero."  I like some, but not all, Huey Lewis.

I like alot of these artists, and I won't keep it a secret!  ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/19/04 at 8:00 am

Other:  I LOOVE Men Without Hats!!  Most people only remember "Safety Dance" but they were so much more than that.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 1:14 pm

I liked all of them, especially NKOTB!

I had my posters, big pins, shirts, pillowcases....youth is not always something to remember!  :-[

tanya

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/05 at 4:00 pm

I picked Milli Vanilli.  Regardless of who the real singers were, I really liked Girl You Know It's True  :-[

Written By: Amber on 09/26/05 at 4:23 pm

POISON.

Love them.

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/26/05 at 8:17 pm

There is a European singer named Sandra (Real name is Sandra Ann Lauer and her married name is Sandra Cretu, she's married to Michael Cretu- the man behind the group Enigma) and she started out as a guilty pleasure but her other music is so good that I had to download her other songs! Here's a few 80's photos of her and a photo that's probably from 1999 (and they are from my online photo album)

Here are some from the 80's ;) :

http://photobucket.com/albums/b359/AbsolutelyFabulousFan/?action=view&current=sandra4.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b359/AbsolutelyFabulousFan/?action=view&current=sandra5.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b359/AbsolutelyFabulousFan/?action=view&current=sandra10.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b359/AbsolutelyFabulousFan/?action=view&current=sandra17.jpg

Here's one of her from either 1999 or from the 2000's:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b359/AbsolutelyFabulousFan/?action=view&current=sandra15.jpg

Written By: TC1970 on 09/26/05 at 8:50 pm

I like WHAM!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...