inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Family Cars and vans and such of the 80's

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/17/04 at 4:43 pm

What were your memories of your family cars of the 1980's?

My family had a 1986 Toyota Camry and a 1988 Dodge Caravan (heavenly blue, lol)

The car that led us into the eighties was this crazy beater of a Malibu Station wagon.

Subject: Re: Family Cars and vans and such of the 80's

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/17/04 at 5:07 pm

I remember big rectangular station wagons...

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/18/04 at 11:23 am

I mainly remember the 80s as being when front wheel drive cars started to become the norm.  I always thought it was the coolest thing when I was a little kid.  It always intrigued me because not a single lego set had a front wheel drive vehicle.  I came up with a few different ways to make steerable front wheel drive cars with my legos.

I also remember all the "cookie cutter" cars, which I really liked.  To this day I like cars from the 80s many times more than cars from the 90s.  I sort of lost track of vehicles after about 92 or so.  I actually liked some Chrysler and Ford products because I was a kid and didnt know better (dont mean to dis anyone, just my opinion).  I liked GM back then too but I still do.  All the cars in my driveway are from the 80s.

Written By: cheryl on 06/13/04 at 2:35 am

My parents drove a vw bug, orange; they had a station wagon, of course. various trucks (my dad is from wv). I remember the big yellow one he had, it was a chevy & the bed rusted out so he made a new one. He had 2 air horns on the roof & if you didnt watch what you were doing, you would pull the chain for them when you put the sun visor down. My & my sister used to ride in the back of the truck all the time. You cant do that now.    cheryl

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/13/04 at 7:14 am

My dad always drove Cadillacs - so all his cars were usually as big as boats. :P

My mother drove a black Mercedes & a white VW Cabriolet (her "weekend car") for most of the 80's.

Now my father STILL is driving Cadillac & my mother just bought a cherry red Mustang convertible a few months ago to celebrate her mid-life crisis :D 

They haven't changed a bit!

Written By: Howard on 06/13/04 at 11:34 am

25 years ago My father drove a Dark Blue Ford LTD.Today he drives a Nissan Sentra.

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/04 at 11:40 am

I drive a somewhat-restored 1989 Taurus.  :)

Written By: tv on 06/13/04 at 8:55 pm

CarS from the 80's. I was about 10 years old in 1989 so my parents in 1987-1988 bought new cars. In 87 my Mom got a brand new Buick Skylark. In 1988 my Dad bought a Pontiac Grand Prix. I rememberwhen  he was test drving it. Man it scared me he was flooring it(the gas pedal.) He was scaring the crap out of me on that test drive. My Aunt had a 1984 Honda Accord(that bodystyle was nice for that time.) Honda broke through with the Accord when the 3rd generation Accord came out(86-89) bodystyle with the pop-out headlights. The Coupe coupe of the version of the late 80's Accord was hot. Also 1988 was a great year for Cars(Brand new Honda Prelude, Brand new Pontiac Grand Prix, brand new Buick Regal, Brand new Mazda 626 asnd Mx-6 models came out.) Also, my Dad had a Ford Tarus in the the 80's. The Accord and Tarus used to battle it out in the late 80's for the Number 1 crown. Another car I remember from the late 80's was the Plymouth Laser and also the Ford Probe I liked very much then too.

The 80's cars were very boxy looking. I tend to like bodystyle's from the early to mid 90's better than todays style or styles from the 80's. I'm not saying today's styles cars or cars from 80's are bad. I grew up in the 90's so thats why I likes styles from the early to mid 90's.

Written By: eighties lady on 06/16/04 at 12:33 am

I was born in 63 so by the time the 80's cars came out I was driving one myself ;)  My first new car was an 85 Cavalier. It was black with tinted windows. This was after the 68 Impala my friend & I were sharing.  We called her Old Bess. 
As for the cars I grew up with my Dad drove an old Cadillac till he bought the first new car of his life in 1973.  It was a maroon Impala which I failed my drivers test in 5 times till my brother in law lent me his Chevette (more something I could handle) ;)  After the 70's my Dad was a Monte Carlo kind of guy till he died in 2003. :(  He had a 86 that my husband bought off of him a year before he died (we still have it) and his last one was a 2003 fully loaded.  My brother has it now.  My youngest brother had a 71 Chevelle SS, it was candy apple red and just gorgeous!  He was too young and stupid to have it at that time and it ended up trashed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/04 at 2:07 am

I remember big rectangular station wagons...

;D
I knew it!  Somebody had to bring up "The Family Truckster"
Eugene Levy: "I gotta tell ya, if you're taking the whole crew across country, this is Your Automobile !

My dad had a white Jeep Cherokee.  Looked more like a refridgerator than a car.  I cracked it up when I was learning to drive.  Hey, the thing had a tricky clutch, never driven a stick before, backed it right into a stone wall.  WHACK!  See, I didn't take to driving so good at first.  I quit my driving instructor, 'coz I made him to nervous.  He was always stamping on that extra brake they put on the passenger side, he'd look like that Edvard Munch paining, you know "The Scream."

He also had a blue Saab in the early '80s.  I have bad memories of nervewracking family outings, riding in the backseat with my stepbrother.  My stepmom in the passenger seat smoking her 35th Marlboro, and my dad driving, hunched over, peering out from under the brim of his hat, in a really p*ssy mood about something.  Anyway...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 06/16/04 at 6:21 am

we had two family vehicles back then; a white 1981 dodge ram pick-up and a silver 1985 dodge diplomat. my dad like dodges...

my first car was a 1982 chevy chevette! i loved that car, my dad bought it for me in '89. it was a stick shift and i used to drive down this local dirt road thinking i was on the skoda rally coarse. i must have went into the ditch five times. that car was tough. broke my heart when we had to sell it.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/16/04 at 7:14 am

My youngest brother had a 71 Chevelle SS, it was candy apple red and just gorgeous!  He was too young and stupid to have it at that time and it ended up trashed.

OMG, what a gorgeous car that must have been!  I would have cried if I'd seen it trashed.

Check for new replies or respond here...