inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 Top 40 Hair Bands of All Time

Written By: woops on 05/17/04 at 6:52 pm

A few weeks ago, VH1 re aired this special from 2001, hosted by Dee Synder of Twisted Sister.

Ranked by VH1. Which means this list isn't different than their other 'countdowns'.  :P

*Notice a few 1 or 2 hit wonders listed like Extreme, Autograph, & Mr. Big.

40. Hanoi Rocks
39. Extreme
38. Jackyl
37. Steelheart
36. Night Ranger
35. Faster Pussycat
34. Autograph
33. Kix
32. Saigon Kick
31. Tesla
30. Bulletboys
29. Trixter
28. L.A. Guns
27. Stryper
26. Mr. Big
25. Danger Danger
24. Firehouse
23. Vixen
22. W.A.S.P.
21. Europe
20. The Scorpions
19. Britny Fox
18. Kiss
17. Skid Row
16. Great White
15. Lita Ford
14. White Lion
13. Whitesnake
12. Winger
11. Ratt
10. Dokken
9. Slaughter
8. Def Leppard Should be ranked higher, like at #1
7. Quiet Riot
6. Warrant
5. Cinderella
4. Motley Crue
3. Bon Jovi
2. Twisted Sister Probably because Dee Snyder hosted the special...  ::)
1. Poison

No Guns N' Roses!?!  :o

What's your opinion? Good or Bad.

Subject: Re: VH1 Top 40 Hair Bands of All Time

Written By: Hairspray on 05/17/04 at 9:00 pm

No Guns N' Roses!?!  :o

Yeah, what's up with that? :o >:(

:P Them people are bumbleheads.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/18/04 at 4:02 am

Despite the fact I don't consider GNR to be a hair band, they should be on this list if Great White and Tesla are there. And if LA Guns and Skid Row are hair bands, how come Van Halen aren't? These countdowns are dubious at best. How are they judged? Obviously not by the extreme nature of their hair, because otherwise Nitro would be at number one, followed by Britny Fox and the Vinnie Vincent Invasion. It couldn't be by the number of hits either, because Bon Jovi and Def Leppard had more hits than Poison, and it's obviously not judged on talent either or Scorpions, Skid Row and Tesla would be closer to the top of the list than they are.

Written By: conker on 05/18/04 at 6:20 am

I never knew there were that many Hair bands to start with!?...glad I was so unaware of that genre...no offense to you 80's hair bands fans but the music never did anything for me.

Written By: Gis on 05/18/04 at 6:27 am

I wonder how they judged it ...........on the number of requests for the videos? Does VH1 work like that??

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/18/04 at 9:42 am

Yeah, what's up with that? :o >:(

He obviously wanted Guns 'N' Roses to be on there, but I didn't think they were a hair band. Strange.

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/18/04 at 9:45 am

no offense to you 80's hair bands fans but the music never did anything for me.

What bands do you like then?

Written By: Hairspray on 05/18/04 at 2:57 pm

He obviously wanted Guns 'N' Roses to be on there, but I didn't think they were a hair band. Strange.

Obviously. ::)

I was just agreeing and wondering the same thing. As PS said, there's no reasong for GnR to not have been included if bands like Great White and Tesla are.

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/18/04 at 5:15 pm

No Guns -n- Roses because they are not a hair band. Tesla is also not a hair band. Other than that I like the list.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: woops on 05/18/04 at 6:03 pm

Kiss also isn't a hair band and it's ranked on the list.  :) I also agree that L.A. Guns, Skid Row, & Tesla aren't Hair Bands. And Van Halen should be ranked if those hard rock and  metal bands are on the list.

IMO, VH1 probably ranked their lists randomly from a hat or something. With little or no research.
Since most of their lists are inaccurate & some a bit interesting
(ie "100 One Hit Wonders", "100 Women of Rock N' Roll", "200 Pop Culture Icons", etc.)

For the best special on VH1 that features  '80's hard rock, metal, and pop metal, I prefer "When Metal Ruled The Rule".  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/04 at 6:59 pm

A few weeks ago, VH1 re aired this special from 2001, hosted by Dee Synder of Twisted Sister.

Ranked by VH1. Which means this list isn't different than their other 'countdowns'.  :P

*Notice a few 1 or 2 hit wonders listed like Extreme, Autograph, & Mr. Big.

8. Def Leppard Should be ranked higher, like at #1

What's your opinion? Good or Bad.

I agree...but VH1 just continues to remind me how much they SUCK!

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/18/04 at 9:19 pm

What about Boy George?  Wasn't he a hair band?

Written By: Hairspray on 05/19/04 at 12:03 am

LOL! He's just a guy.

I know what you meant; just teasin'. His band "Culture Club" was as far away from a hair band as they could get, even if he did have that long hair. They leaned more towards "Pop" music.

In response to previous posts -

For the record:

I never considered GnR a hair band. 8)

Written By: conker on 05/20/04 at 2:22 pm

What bands do you like then?

Mostly new wave stuff with a pop feel, Squeeze, Police, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson plus straight ahead rock.  Being in Canada Bryan Adams, The Hip(late 80's/90's) took up alot of radio air time.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/04 at 7:47 pm

Culture Club had short hair so they weren't considered a hair band! ;)

Howard

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/20/04 at 8:55 pm

We should put Boy George in with Motley Crew for 30 minutes for a make over......call it "metal eye for the queer guy" or something.

Written By: stingr22 on 05/20/04 at 11:33 pm

We should put Boy George in with Motley Crew for 30 minutes for a make over......call it "metal eye for the queer guy" or something.

Now THAT would make for great TV!  Maybe have Elton John spend 30 minutes with Ted Nugent!  8)

Written By: Matthew on 03/15/05 at 3:57 pm

i would have put Danger Danger two places above Kiss, they had multiple hits like Bang Bang, Rock America, and the famous  "Naughty Naughty" D2 Toured with Kiss, Warrant and others, and had great sucess as well. Plus going gold and having single chart success for the time.

rock on!!!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/16/05 at 8:04 am

Well, I was most surprised not to see Van Halen on that list! How exactly does one define a hair band?

Written By: jiminy on 03/16/05 at 10:04 am

Jackyl isn't a hair band either, I always thought they had an AC/DC like sound
who remembers Kingdom Come, they had a Led Zeppelin sound

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/17/05 at 1:12 am

Well, I was most surprised not to see Van Halen on that list! How exactly does one define a hair band?

Well in a mission to answer my own question, I came apon the Urban Dictionary and a number of somewhat similar definitions of "hair band":
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hair+band
I like the "looked like they spent more on their perms than their instruments" -does that refer to time or money? ;D

Written By: Frank P Rizzo on 03/17/05 at 10:53 am

What about Y & T?  VH1 also has some great bands listed as the worst ever.  VH1 pretty much sucks anyway, try Fuse.  

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/17/05 at 4:59 pm

What about Y & T?  VH1 also has some great bands listed as the worst ever.  VH1 pretty much sucks anyway, try Fuse.  

While I have enjoyed some VH1 specials, I don't think much of their journalistic style. They are just soooooo sensationalist! I wonder how these best of/worst of lists are compiled. Do they represent a public vote, or just the bigheaded opinions of 1 or 2 "industry experts"? :-\\

Written By: jiminy on 03/18/05 at 2:53 pm

I used to like Aldo Nova, he had some good songs

Written By: Arvig on 03/18/05 at 3:59 pm

I THINK the VH1 polls are usually done by viewer votes...anyway, to respond to this quote, I remember a lot of people calling Van Halen "Jock Rock", as opposed to a hair band...and no, not quite sure what jock rock is, unless the implied idea is that high school & college football players circa 1984 would listen to them the most.

But no, the list isn't logical, I'm amazed they didn't try to lump Queensryche into that list, despite them IMO NOT being a hair band.

Then again, although I don't consider Heart to be one at all, they did have big hair during most of the 80's...now yes, their career started in the 70's (And IMO I think 70's Heart is much better then 80's Heart), but so did KISS, yet they are in the Hair Band list.  If being a hair band in part means commercial and mainstream hard rock or metal, then Heart was commercial hard rock in the 80's, depsite being hard rock/arena rock in the 70's.  At least as I've always viewed them.

I'm going to look clueless if I missed them, and yeah they were kind of a one hit wonder, but was Vixen on the list, THEY were very much an all woman hair band.
Oh well...I don't think such lists are ever meant to be agreed upon...never seen one that ANYONE other then the guy making the list can agree upon.  ;)

Edit:  I was clueless, just looked at the list again, Vixen was listed as #23.  Um...oops.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/18/05 at 10:49 pm

I don't consider Van Halen a hair band.  I don't know, they seem more early-80s arena rock to me.  Hair bands are generally obnoxious and cheesy. 

G 'n' R, yes, but they have more musical talent than pretty much any hair band.  Bon Jovi are okay but they kinda get on my nerves.  Their 2000 comeback song, "It's My Life", rocks though.  8)

I'm not into hair bands.  I'm a New Wave guy when it comes to 80s stuff.  8)

Written By: nikkisixx#1 on 03/19/05 at 8:39 am

Motley Crue should have been number one thats only because they are my favorite band but you have them alll right :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...