inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good stuff, Maynard! Where did that saying come from?

Written By: onlinegal on 05/18/04 at 10:13 am

I remember saying "that's good stuff, Maynard" but I don't recall where that saying came from. Anybody have a clue?

Ed Grimley for President!

Subject: Re: Good stuff, Maynard! Where did that saying come from?

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/18/04 at 12:06 pm

There's a Maynard in Pulp Fiction ???

Written By: cornwallis on 05/18/04 at 12:13 pm

I believe that came from a Malt-O-Meal commercial.

---cornwallis

Written By: lillypad on 12/04/04 at 5:16 am

That's so funny! My husband's grandma says that to our daughter ALL THE TIME! I'd never heard it before! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/04 at 12:43 pm

I believe the saying comes from "The many loves of Dobie Gillis" back in the 50s. There was a character named Maynard G. Krebs played by Bob Denver of "Gilligan" fame.

Cat

Written By: saver on 12/04/04 at 5:50 pm

Re: the maynard line.Something similar was used in the '84 film "Explorers" . I believe one of the other boy stars says it to River Phoenix, something like good job Maynard or way to go Maynard...whether it existed prior to that film(??) But they used it there..if you have it, take a listen.
:)
saver

Written By: AL-B on 12/05/04 at 4:52 am

Cornwallis had it right.

Written By: Jim on 05/21/08 at 1:25 am

It is from a Malt-O-Meal commercial in the 70s. A kid doesn't want to eat his food so he gives it to his imaginary friend, Maynard. The dad plays off Maynard by saying... *Points to everyone around the world* That's good stuff, Maynard

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/21/08 at 2:26 am

there was a Maynard in my high school 1971-74  who the heck names their boy Maynard  ???

I haven't heard anyone say Good stuff, Maynard! in a long time. I never liked that saying.

Written By: johnny5alive on 05/21/08 at 8:25 pm

I believe the saying comes from "The many loves of Dobie Gillis" back in the 50s. There was a character named Maynard G. Krebs played by Bob Denver of "Gilligan" fame. 
  yes you are correct, i may be just one of the um er    older ones posting here and remember dobie gillis!  he was just a bit earlier than the '80's!! ;)

Cat

Written By: Davester on 05/22/08 at 9:58 pm

Man, I still say that once in awhile and forgot where it came from.  I thought it was Quick chocolate milk mix...

Written By: Ken Kopin on 07/27/08 at 1:54 pm

Malt-o-meal. There were two versions of the commercial. Here's one of them (In this one, the kid is Maynard.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtiritKccM

Written By: Lynn on 09/21/09 at 2:23 pm

you gotta love search engines and sites that give every answer one has questions on!!  This question was answered completely - no more wondering.  Thank you!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/21/09 at 5:20 pm

I remember that catch phrase too.

As welll as "Give to it Mickey, He'll eat anything!"

Written By: Davester on 09/22/09 at 1:57 am

I remember that catch phrase too.

As welll as "Give to it Mickey, He'll eat anything!"

I think the rumor was that the kid who played Mikey in the commercial died from eating pop rocks and drinking soda...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/22/09 at 12:00 pm

I think the rumor was that the kid who played Mikey in the commercial died from eating pop rocks and drinking soda...

In reality, John Gilchrist, who played Mikey, is still alive and works as an advertising account manager in New York. The other kids in the "Mikey" commercial were Gilchrist's brothers and are also still alive.

Written By: Old Guy on 05/05/10 at 8:12 am

It originally came from the Dobie Gillis TV show, but Malt-O-Meal did use it in their commercial later on.  See the link for quotes from the TV show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052490/quotes

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/10 at 2:25 pm

The kid who played Mikey on the life cereal commercials died from eating twelve* packs of Pop Rocks and drinking a six-pack of Coke.*

That rumor started as early as 1979 and circulated widely over the next four or five years.  There's no truth in it.  John Gilchrest (aka. Mikey) is alive and well.  Furthermore, that combination of carbonation and corn syrup could give you a hell of a bellyache and probably make you puke.  I suppose if you were able to consume enough carbonated beverages and Pop Rocks before blowing your chips, you might have to get your stomach pumped, but it wouldn't kill you. 

*Quantities of Pop Rocks and type of soft drink varies from rumor to rumor.

As for "Good Stuff, Maynard," I am unfamiliar.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/10 at 2:26 pm

The kid who played Mikey on the life cereal commercials died from eating twelve* packs of Pop Rocks and drinking a six-pack of Coke.*

That rumor started as early as 1979 and circulated widely over the next four or five years.  There's no truth in it.  John Gilchrest (aka. Mikey) is alive and well.  Furthermore, that combination of carbonation and corn syrup could give you a hell of a bellyache and probably make you puke.  I suppose if you were able to consume enough carbonated beverages and Pop Rocks before blowing your chips, you might have to get your stomach pumped, but it wouldn't kill you. 

*Quantities of Pop Rocks and type of soft drink varies from rumor to rumor.

As for "Good Stuff, Maynard," I am unfamiliar.

What if you swallowed an entire roll of Mentos and then immediately slammed a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke?  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/10 at 12:57 am

What if you swallowed an entire roll of Mentos and then immediately slammed a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke?  :o

You'd turn into a human soda fountain for a minute and feel like holy hell for the next three days, but it still wouldn't kill you.

Written By: Al on 07/07/10 at 8:36 am

It came from the 1983 Malt-o-Meal commercial.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/10 at 9:24 pm

It came from the 1983 Malt-o-Meal commercial.

I think that's about all you could sell with:
"Good stuff, Maynard!"
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...