inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dangerous toys of the 1980's

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/18/04 at 12:26 pm

Memories of most dangerous 80's toys.

The one I remmeber ads being dangerous was sthe "Bionic Six" Toys.  Some of them were purely metal.  And the monkey was sooooo heavy.  Imagine getting that thrown at you by your older brother.  Not that it actually happened to me.

Subject: Re: Dangerous toys of the 1980's

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/18/04 at 2:33 pm

I think there was a plastic toy that came in one of the happy meals (BK or McD's) that caused alot of controversy b/c of the dangers to kids back in the 80's.  ???

Written By: Howard on 05/18/04 at 2:36 pm

Wasn't Cabbage Patch Kids considered a dangerous toy at one time? ???

Howard

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/18/04 at 2:41 pm

Howard

I know it was dangerous around Christmas to try to buy them in the department stores.  ;) ;D

Written By: Hairspray on 05/18/04 at 3:06 pm

Howard

Godd memory, Howard. I think it had something to do with a chemical used in the making being toxic.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/04 at 3:20 pm

Godd memory, Howard. I think it had something to do with a chemical used in the making being toxic.

I think it was a girl who playing with her CBK and something happened to her.Not sure! ???

Howard

Written By: Hairspray on 05/18/04 at 3:57 pm

I think it was a girl who playing with her CBK and something happened to her.Not sure! ???

Howard

Perhaps she inhaled the toxin too long? Too bad I don't have extra time to research it on the net.

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/18/04 at 4:04 pm

Do you know if Glow Worms had any problems with toxicity as well?

Written By: Hairspray on 05/18/04 at 4:09 pm

Do you know if Glow Worms had any problems with toxicity as well?

I don't know if they did or not. :-\\

Maybe Howard can do a little research if he has some extra time! Whaddaya say? :D I know you love the net, Howard. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 5:06 pm

I hope the goo inside Glow Sticks really was non-toxic because we used crack 'em open and smear the stuff on the basement walls, it gave off a creepy effect.

Sad sight: an old Glow Stick turned jaundice yellow.
:(

Dangerous toys of the '80s are nothing compared to today, when parents buy their kids exotic pets with asiatic diseases.  Who would give their child a prairie dog?  Here ya go kid, a wild animal! Have fun!
:o

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/18/04 at 5:13 pm

Damn, I thought you were talking about the band.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: Hairspray on 05/18/04 at 11:50 pm

darn, I thought you were talking about the band.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Me too, at first.

Written By: krakboi on 05/19/04 at 1:11 am

Lawn Darts were around in the 80s.  Only some real idiots would think this was a great game for kids.

Check this
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5053.html

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/19/04 at 6:14 pm

yo-balls. those things were nasty. i had a black eye and several bleeding noses from yo-ball fights. it's a returnable yo-yo, essentially. in the hands of a pre-teen, it's a deadly weapon.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/04 at 7:20 pm

I don't know if they did or not. :-\\

Maybe Howard can do a little research if he has some extra time! Whaddaya say? :D I know you love the net, Howard. ;)

Sorry! :( The only glow worms I got were actually Glow Worms & not the toy! :-\\

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/19/04 at 7:21 pm

Could the Slinky have been dangerous?

Howard

Written By: Marian on 05/19/04 at 8:19 pm

Howard
;DIt was one that "eats".it sucked in her hair and she couldn't get it out.I think it's still on her head today!! ;D ;D ;D ;DCheers!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/04 at 8:55 pm

yo-balls. those things were nasty. i had a black eye and several bleeding noses from yo-ball fights. it's a returnable yo-yo, essentially. in the hands of a pre-teen, it's a deadly weapon.

Used to play with yo-balls, eh?

Anyway, toys aren't dangerous, kids are dangerous!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/20/04 at 6:05 am

Used to play with yo-balls, eh?

Anyway, toys aren't dangerous, kids are dangerous!

rotflmao!

Written By: Howard on 05/20/04 at 7:59 pm

was 2XL considered dangerous?

http://www.2xlrobot.com/images/whead.jpg

Howard

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/20/04 at 9:08 pm

Heck, when we were growing up, we didn't give a hoot about danger.  We rode bikes off ramps with no helments or knee pads (as I don't think they were even available yet), had bb gun wars, had dart competitions (where we were the dart boards), jumped off the top of our house for fun.  Some of our favorite games were "assasinate the president", "dope dealer", and "bar fight".  I tell you, we would have made a child psychologist scream.  >:(

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 10:31 am

What about Ker-Bangers?

Those things were deadly.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 7:24 pm

Howard

It was Cabbage Patch Kids that could eat... they ate the girl's hair.  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 7:30 pm

Blackstar action figures had lighters on their backs, it was contraversial at the time, and then there was Boba Fett action figures that "fire" rockets from their jet packs.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/76/f4/0d_1.JPG

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:57 pm

What about those wall climbers that used to stick to the walls like glue? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:58 pm

It was Cabbage Patch Kids that could eat... they ate the girl's hair.  ::)

and I believe they sued the company and the girls head had left a bald spot. ::)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 8:18 pm

We used to play "Jarts (lawn darts) all the time and never had an accident. We used to also have those click-clacks (and I think that are called many other names too). There were two strings tied together and at the end of each string was a ball. You hold the tied end and "bounce" them so the balls would hit together up in the air and then hit again when they came down. I have had many bruises on my arm from those things.

They are something like this.

http://images.neopets.com/items/toy_klack.gif

Cat

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/01/04 at 9:02 pm

The Bob fett with missile launcher was never released. It was cancelled due to a boy choking on a Battlestar Galactica toy's spring fired missile. . It was a big disappointment at the time. I agree with all of you that things were a lot easier and carefree back then. I still remember going into the neighboring field and shooting our old toys and models with 22s or riding down steep hills and then off  ramps...no helmets or gear at all. If you got hurt you just picked yourself up and that was that. The eighties ruled!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 9:22 pm

The Bob fett with missile launcher was never released. It was cancelled due to a boy choking on a Battlestar Galactica toy's spring fired missile. . It was a big disappointment at the time. I agree with all of you that things were a lot easier and carefree back then. I still remember going into the neighboring field and shooting our old toys and models with 22s or riding down steep hills and then off  ramps...no helmets or gear at all. If you got hurt you just picked yourself up and that was that. The eighties ruled!!

Gotta love gimmick toys for the 80's!  ;D My favorite is.... Stinkor!

http://www.paddykroetz.de/bilder/heman/figuren/stinkor.jpg

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 9:44 pm

We used to play "Jarts (lawn darts) all the time and never had an accident. We used to also have those click-clacks (and I think that are called many other names too). There were two strings tied together and at the end of each string was a ball. You hold the tied end and "bounce" them so the balls would hit together up in the air and then hit again when they came down. I have had many bruises on my arm from those things.

They are something like this.

http://images.neopets.com/items/toy_klack.gif

Cat

They were called Ker-Bangers in the NY area

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 9:45 pm

Gotta love gimmick toys for the 80's!  ;D My favorite is.... Stinkor!

http://www.paddykroetz.de/bilder/heman/figuren/stinkor.jpg

The Stinkor smelled horrible.It had like a skunk smell. WHEW! :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 9:55 pm

The Stinkor smelled horrible.It had like a skunk smell. WHEW! :P

Howard

Tell me about it!!!!  ::)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...