inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phil Collins tune?

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/20/04 at 12:23 pm

I don't remember some of the other lyrics but part of them was "...we should've talked about it and I hear the blame was mine....but 'I'm sorry' wasn't one of those things and now its too late..."

Any ideas? ???

Subject: Re: Phil Collins tune?

Written By: Bobo on 05/20/04 at 12:28 pm

I think the tune is called "Do You Remember".

The lyrics are here:

http://www.lyricscafe.com/c/collins_phil/butseriously_03.htm

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/20/04 at 12:31 pm

Thank you Bobo!!  :) :) :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/20/04 at 1:56 pm

That's a nice song.  :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/20/04 at 2:58 pm

Yeah...but its sort of sad too. I was listening to his song Another Day in Paradise and then it reminded me of Do You Remember, but I could only think of those lyrics. I believe it came out about the same time.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/20/04 at 7:36 pm

I like a lot of his older songs like that.  I like those smooth fretless bass lines, I think it was Pino Palladino who played a lot of songs like that.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/20/04 at 7:59 pm

Yeah...but its sort of sad too. I was listening to his song Another Day in Paradise and then it reminded me of Do You Remember, but I could only think of those lyrics. I believe it came out about the same time.

Yes, I believe they were off the same album.  :)

Written By: ferrisb on 05/21/04 at 6:00 pm

Speaking of Phill Collins, there's this song that goes something like susudio.. can anyone give me it's correct title?

Written By: Bobby on 05/21/04 at 6:21 pm

Speaking of Phill Collins, there's this song that goes something like susudio.. can anyone give me it's correct title?

Any idea what year it was made?

Written By: Howard on 05/21/04 at 6:39 pm

1983-Phil Collins "Sussudio".

And who the heck was Sussudio anyway? ;D

Howard

Written By: ferrisb on 05/22/04 at 4:59 pm

Yep what in the world does Sussudio mean? Is it a movie theme song or something???

Written By: Gwen on 05/22/04 at 5:01 pm

I was watching an interview with Phil Collins and he said that he thought up the tune before he put words to it.  Sussidio was just a space filler that was supposed to be filled in by a girls name that rhymed or sounded similar, but then he decided to just keep it the way it was.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/04 at 10:49 am

I was watching an interview with Phil Collins and he said that he thought up the tune before he put words to it.  Sussidio was just a space filler that was supposed to be filled in by a girls name that rhymed or sounded similar, but then he decided to just keep it the way it was.

It also had meant "Sussudian or Sussdia".My guess he was dating an Indian woman at the time. ???

Howard

Written By: aguilar on 06/04/04 at 2:12 am

I think Phil Looks like a cabbage patch kid

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 7:43 am

I think Phil Looks like a cabbage patch kid
  ;D That is so true.  ;D

Written By: ferrisb on 06/04/04 at 11:39 am

A "CABBAGE PATCH KID"??? What the heck does that mean???

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 12:10 pm

A "CABBAGE PATCH KID"??? What the heck does that mean???

Popular toy in 80's (and still today)
http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/pages/gift_shop/mattel-cpks/website_Kids/images/P1156345.jpghttp://www.afunk.com/cabbage/pictures/023.jpg

Phil Collins:
http://www.niu.edu/pubaffairs/stepahead/6/images/collins.jpg

Written By: ferrisb on 06/04/04 at 12:16 pm

Popular toy in 80's (and still today)
http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/pages/gift_shop/mattel-cpks/website_Kids/images/P1156345.jpghttp://www.afunk.com/cabbage/pictures/023.jpg

Phil Collins:
http://www.niu.edu/pubaffairs/stepahead/6/images/collins.jpg

Oh! I get it now.. but those toys at least a headful of hair don't they???

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 12:26 pm

Well, that is true... ;D Here's one when he had hair
http://photo.sing365.com/music/picture.nsf/SingerPicUnid/48256C71003578A24825689000213794/$file/Phil+Collins.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/04/04 at 8:05 pm

My favorite was "Land Of Confusion". :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 06/04/04 at 8:06 pm

Well, that is true... ;D Here's one when he had hair
http://photo.sing365.com/music/picture.nsf/SingerPicUnid/48256C71003578A24825689000213794/$file/Phil+Collins.jpg

He reminds me of Jesus Christ! ;D

Howard

Written By: Climber on 06/04/04 at 9:24 pm

Some of the preemies didn't have hair...

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/05/04 at 11:03 pm

Cute, guys. My sister had a Cabbage Patch preemie with no hair, but I don't see much resemblance to Phil. He's always had a little bit of hair, I think!

As for Sussudio, it was a nonsense phrase he put in to hold space while he wrote the song, but no words he tried to replace it with tracked as well, so he tried to make it like "Abracadabra", as the lyrics show. And yes, "Do You Remember?" and "Another Day In Paradise" were off the same album, 1989's ...But Seriously.

"Land Of Confusion", OTOH, was a Genesis tune, but Phil did a good job with it, even if they weren't his lyrics. In fact, he had to prove to Mike & Tony that he could write as well as they could when he played a demo of "In The Air Tonight" for the guy who played bass for them live, and he's played on all of Phil's albums since! Does any of this help?

For more information, check this page:
http://www.buyersmls.com/miamivice/philcollins.htm
Thanks for reading!

Written By: ferrisb on 06/06/04 at 12:23 pm

He reminds me of Jesus Christ! ;D

Howard

I'd certainly second that Frank.. but  I think  he looks more like a middleaged investment banker now. Anyways, what other 80's stars do you think look like toys?

Written By: Howard on 06/06/04 at 2:08 pm

I'd certainly second that Frank.. but  I think  he looks more like a middleaged investment banker now. Anyways, what other 80's stars do you think look like toys?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/mjrightpic.jpg

Michael is one of them. ;D

Howard

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/07/04 at 4:10 pm

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/mjrightpic.jpg

Michael is one of them. ;D

Howard
;D

Written By: Howard on 06/07/04 at 7:45 pm

;D

Actually,he was a toy.20 years ago when he made the Thriller video and they came out with a Michael Jackson figure doll. ;D

Howard

Written By: ferrisb on 06/08/04 at 3:44 pm

Yep since most toys are made of plastic I guess you could call Micheal Jackson a toy (He's got a lot of plastic in him doesn't he?)

Written By: Howard on 06/08/04 at 4:50 pm

Yep since most toys are made of plastic I guess you could call Micheal Jackson a toy (He's got a lot of plastic in him doesn't he?)

Yes,you might be right! ;D

Howard

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/13/04 at 12:52 pm

I'm afraid that's not so, Fluffy. "Do You Remember?" was foolishly left off the ...Hits album, and I was also irked to not find "Missed Again", "I Don't Care Anymore", "It's In Your Eyes", and especially "Don't Lose My Number".OTOH, i was glad to finally have "Against The Odds", "Two Hearts", and "Easy Lover" on CD, plus I like his cover of "True Colors". Which other of his songs do you like, and do you have a favorite? Let me know!

Written By: ferrisb on 06/15/04 at 12:21 pm

What about his song "One more night" :) Is it from a movie? :)

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/15/04 at 12:38 pm

No no, Ferris. not "One More Night". "Long Long Way To Go", "I Don't Care Anymore", "Take Me Home" & "In The Air Tonight" were all featured on different episodes of MIAMI VICE, and Phil even guest-starred once.

Also, ITAT, called by one Amazon reviewer as "The Stairway To Heaven of the 80's", was also featured in the Tom Cruise movie Risky Business. "Against the Odds" themed a 1984 movie of the same name, and Phil's American movie debut, 1988's Buster, featured the #1 hits "A Groovy Kind Of Love" and my 80's favorite "Two Hearts".

I hope this helps!

Doc Brown

Written By: ferrisb on 06/15/04 at 1:59 pm

No no, Ferris. not "One More Night". "Long Long Way To Go", "I Don't Care Anymore", "Take Me Home" & "In The Air Tonight" werwe all featured on different episodes of MIAMI VICE, and Phil even guest-starred once.

Also, ITAT, called by one Amazon reviewer as "The Stairway To Heaven of the 80's", was also featured in the Tom Cruise movie Risky Business. "Against the Odds" themed a 1984 movie of the same name, and Phil's American movie debut, 1988's Buster, featured the #1 hits "A Groovy Kind Of Love" and my 80's favorite "Two Hearts".

I hope this helps!

Doc Brown

Thanks a lot Doc for the info. What about the duet "Easy lover" (I don't know the other guy's name)?

Written By: Howard on 06/15/04 at 3:57 pm

Thanks a lot Doc for the info. What about the duet "Easy lover" (I don't know the other guy's name)?

Philip Bailey

Howard

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/16/04 at 10:33 pm

Howard's right. Philip Bailey had a lot of success in the late 70's/early 80's as a singer for Earth, Wind & Fire, and Phil knew him from when their horn section played with Genesis(The Abacab sessions), and on Phil's first solo album, Face Value. Unfortunately, that particular Phil's solo career pretty much fizzled after his Chinese Wall album yielded only one hit("Easy Lover", of course!). Last I heard of Philip Bailey solo, he sang another duet w/Little Richard in 1988, the theme to the Schwarzenegger/Devito movie TWINS. I hope this helps!

Doc Brown

Written By: ferrisb on 06/17/04 at 1:05 pm

Thanks DOC and Howard for the info. So what happened to his movie career after "Buster"? Someone told me that he lent his voice to several animated movies is it true? What about his song "Don't loose my number"? (I'm not quite sure about the title) :) :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/17/04 at 2:32 pm

He had a cameo in Hook.

Here's a link to what he's done (per imdb)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002015/

Written By: Howard on 06/17/04 at 6:34 pm

So what happened to his movie career after "Buster"?

I'm guessing he did voiceovers and did some acting on the side.He also had made a song "I Can't Stop Loving You"last year. :)

Howard

Written By: ferrisb on 06/18/04 at 1:31 pm

Phill Collins.... is it his real name?? To me it sounds bit a like a stage name.... :) :) :)

Written By: Howard on 06/18/04 at 5:15 pm

Phill Collins.... is it his real name?? To me it sounds bit a like a stage name....

I would believe that Phil Collins is his real name! ???

Howard

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/11/04 at 11:26 pm

Philip David Charles Collins in his full name, according to Pop-Up Video. I find it a lot easier to just call him Phil, or often DJ's refer to him as PC!

Anyway, Buster did well in Europe, but not so great in the U.S.. Afterward, he did have a cameo in Hook, appeared in the HBO film And The Band Played On(that has nothing to do with music, BTW), and actually auditioned for the 1994 hit Speed, but lost the mad bomber role to Dennis Hopper!

Here's a crazy tidbit for the Brits: Actress Julie Walters, who played Phil's wife in Buster, has now appeared in all 5 Harry Potter movies, in the role of Molly Weasley(Ron's Mom).

Phil did approach Disney wanting to do a character voice, and sort of got his wish. Phil didn't speak for Tarzan, he sang for him, writing all 5 of the movie's songs, including the #1 hit(and Oscar winner) "You'll Be In My Heart." Last year he wrote & sang tunes for another Disney film Brother Bear.

BTW, "Can't Stop Loving You" was the first single off his 2002 album "Testify". Personally, I think it's the weakest song on the album(Phil didn't write it, no wonder!). I much prefer the other singles: "Wake Up Call", "Come With Me", and "The Least You Can Do".

Any more questions?

Written By: ferrisb on 07/12/04 at 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot doc, your post is very informative. If you don't mind could you give us more info on his early career. What about his successes as a drummer (I think that he was hell of drummer) :) :) :)

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/12/04 at 9:29 pm

No problem, Ferris. What little I know of Phil's pre-Genesis work is that he was in a local rock band called Flaming Youth (which never had any known success here in the states), and for in the 70's & 80's moonlighted with a jazz band called Brand X. OTOH, you can find the best of what info I have at the address below. Of course I've been listening to Phil since that show was on the air, and It seemed natural to share my data with my fellow fans, of both PC & MV. I wonder how soon I'll have to update it! Enjoy what you find.

http://www.buyersmls.com/miamivice/philcollins.htc

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: ferrisb on 07/13/04 at 12:56 pm

Thanks Doc for the info however your URL doesn't seem to work :\'( :\'(. Anyways, do you know the reasons behind some of the titles of his songs for an example "Another day in paradise".

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/13/04 at 1:13 pm

Sorry, Ferris. You should probably just copy the address and paste in your search blank to get there. Anyway, Phil was riding through southeast Washington, D.C. in the late 80's and saw homeless people begging on street corners, with the police trying to move them away and stop others from giving them anything. Not liking what he saw, he fashioned his impressions into the song, labeling 'Paradise" as what we in the middle-class almost take for granted. Any other titles you want info on? Let me know!

Your Pal,
Doc

Check for new replies or respond here...