inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Searching for the name of a song

Written By: Richard on 05/22/04 at 1:18 pm

Don't you hate it when you have a half remembered song floating around in your head? You heard it over a decade (or two) ago, it stuck, and you can't even remember the name or most of the lyrics?

That's happening to me

Way back when there was a song with three different videos.  Watched in order they told a story about this small town boy that everyone considered trash - except for one girl (Miss. Sally?).  They meet at the river and hang out.  Then she turned up dead and everyone blamed him.  The police picked him up and while they were questioning him some of the boys in town torched his trailer.  Eventually we learn that the girl committed suicide, there's no proof the boy was involved, and after he is released he leaves town, walking down the river bed.

No, I can't remember the title,. or the artist, but I can recall watching it around the time "Its a Fine, Fine Day" by Tony Carey came out - which would have been 84.

Can anyone help me here?

Richard

Subject: Re: Searching for the name of a song

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/04 at 1:51 pm

I can't tell what it is by the video description.  Do you have any of the words to the song?  I'm usually better with those....  :)

Written By: Richard on 05/22/04 at 3:29 pm

That's one of the problems - I can't really remember it.  The chorus had something like "go down by the River" (which returned thousands of hits when I searched - mostly gospel music).  Walk by the river, come with me to the river...

The plot of the song is what I remember: A guy in a small town who is seen as no good by everyone except one girl (the name might be Sally, definitely ends with a Y).  Girl dies (suicide) and everyone blames the boy.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/22/04 at 4:10 pm

What kind of music?  Rock?  Pop?  New wave?

Written By: Richard on 05/22/04 at 4:21 pm

Mainly easy listening with a haunting tone, with a couple of the verses sped up to a rock beat.

Ah - it's frustrating.  On the tip of your tongue type thing.    One line was about how she went walking alone and didn't come home.

Richard

Written By: Gwen on 05/22/04 at 4:51 pm

It's Richard Marx's song Hazard

Here's a link to the lyrics

http://www.lyrics007.com/Richard%20Marx%20Lyrics/Hazard%20Lyrics.html

The down by the river lyric sparked my memory  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/22/04 at 4:54 pm

I think you have it, Gwen.  All I could think of was Uncle Tom's Cabin by Warrant but I know that isn't right.

Written By: Richard on 05/22/04 at 4:58 pm

That's it!

Thanks!

It's been running through my mind and now I can finally listen to the song and get it out my head.

Thanks!

Richard

Written By: Gwen on 05/22/04 at 4:59 pm

Hehe your very welcome. I've gotten help with many forgotten song names here.  It's nice to be able to return the favor.
I think the other video that was kinda connected to Hazard was Angelina.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/22/04 at 10:39 pm

Ah.... "Hazard".  Now I recall the lines in that song that refer to the 'river'.  I think the song came out in the early 90's actually. 

Great tune, BTW!  ;) 

Check for new replies or respond here...