inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 40 Worst Music Videos from the 1980's

Written By: woops on 05/24/04 at 7:43 pm

One of my "Worst" lists...    :-X Based on the music video itself, not the song nor artist.. actually the song & artist also count on some cases.  :P  10 bad videos added for no (or some) reason.
http://www.conformco.com/demos/25lame/images/electric.jpg
http://www.conformco.com/demos/25lame/images/girlyou.jpghttp://www.conformco.com/demos/25lame/images/don_johnson.jpg

40. Rockwell "Somebody's Watching Me"
39. Lita Ford "Kiss Me Deadly"
38. Eddie Murphy "Party All The Time"
37. Ashford & Simpson "Solid"
36. Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone"
35. Tom Jones featuring Art Of Noise "Kiss"
34. Earth, Wind, & Fire "Let's Groove"
33. Miami Sound Machine "Conga"
32. Falco "Der Kommissar"
31. Bon Jovi "Runaway"
30. Patrick Swayze "She's Like The Wind"
29. Warrant "Heaven"
28. Vixen "Edge Of A Broken Heart"
27. Buster Poindexter "Hot Hot Hot"
26. Pat Benatar "Love Is A Battlefield"
25. Prince "Bat Dance"
24. Van Halen "Pretty Woman"
23. Billy Squier "Rock Me Tonight"
22. Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now"
21. Billy Ocean "Get Out Of My Dream, Get Into My Car"
20. Bobby McFerrin "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
19. Kiss "Tears Are Falling"
18. Daryl Hall & John Oates "Adult Education"
17. The Jacksons "Torture"
16. Donna Summer "She Works Hard For The Money"
15. Starship "We Built This City"
14. Whitney Houston "The Greatest Love Of All"
13. New Kids On The Block "You Got It (The Right Stuff)"
12. Winger "Seventeen"
11. Debbie Gibson "Electric Youth"
10. David Bowie & Mick Jagger "Dancing In The Street"
9. Wham! "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go"
8. Milli Vanilli "Girl You Know It's True"
7. Cher "If I Could Turn Back Time"
6. Don Johnson "Heartbeat"
5. Twisted Sister "Leader Of The Pack"
4. Taco "Puttin' On The Ritz"
3. Bruce Willis "Respect Yourself"
2. Journey "Separate Ways"
1. Olivia Newton John "Physical"

What's your opinion? Good or Bad.  :)

Subject: Re: Top 30 Worst Music Videos from the 1980's

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/04 at 7:52 pm

Dancing in the street is a funny one! Jagger and Bowie look as though they are about to kiss each other in one scene.  ;D

Subject: Re: Top 40 Worst Music Videos from the 1980's

Written By: stingr22 on 05/24/04 at 9:13 pm

I have to disagree with
20. Bobby McFerrin "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

True, it was one of the most overplayed songs of 1988 (of all time for that matter), but Bobby McFerrin with Robin Williams and the other guy was pretty funny.  You could have substituted it with "November Rain" by Guns & Roses.  :P

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/25/04 at 7:01 am

All of Billy Squier's videos were awful. Although I love Hall & Oates, I have to throw in Out of Touch and Private Eyes as a pretty bad ones too.

Written By: Kitten on 05/25/04 at 2:51 pm

Dancing in the street is a funny one! Jagger and Bowie look as though they are about to kiss each other in one scene.  ;D

That is the worst and best video I have ever seen, they just look so strung out and drugged out and really bad dancing in a horrible quality video. But its Jagger and Bowie so it makes it that much more funny.

Written By: Atari on 05/25/04 at 8:51 pm

I disagree that ALL of Billy Squier's videos were bad. The live themed videos, such as In The Dark, The Stroke, My Kinda Lover, and the actual live ones, like Lonely Is The Night and She's A Runner, were totally cool. Everybody Wants You has those nice cheesy 80s film "effects". But Rock My Tonight was really lame, as was Don't Say You Love Me.

Now Rick Springfield... HE had some BAD videos...

...he still rocked, though....

Written By: Bobby on 05/26/04 at 2:35 am

That is the worst and best video I have ever seen, they just look so strung out and drugged out and really bad dancing in a horrible quality video. But its Jagger and Bowie so it makes it that much more funny.

Absolutely. What were they both wearing? Bowie had this long leopard skin style trenchcoat thing going on and Jagger - well . . . He looked like a badly wrapped quality street with that garish green shirt!  ;D

Written By: Kitten on 05/26/04 at 10:51 am

Absolutely. What were they both wearing? Bowie had this long leopard skin style trenchcoat thing going on and Jagger - well . . . He looked like a badly wrapped quality street with that garish green shirt!  ;D

O jeez, I forgot about the fasion, you think that 2 fasion icons would dress better

Written By: alana on 05/27/04 at 5:53 pm

Honeymoon Suite's "Wave Babies", both song and video were crap!!

Written By: Captain_N on 05/29/04 at 9:38 am

REM's 'Stand' video was pretty lame. Same goes for 'Wild, Wild, West' by Escape Club.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/29/04 at 10:00 am

I agree with you on most but not these:

31. Bon Jovi "Runaway" - I love this video.  I don't know why but I love it.

30. Patrick Swayze "She's Like The Wind" - Love Patrick, Love Dirty Dancing.  Nuff said?

29. Warrant "Heaven" - Janie Lane is such a hottie I would watch three minutes of just him sitting  on a stool.

23. Billy Squier "Rock Me Tonight" - Oh, come on, you don't laugh like a loon watching him dance? ;D

22. Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now" - Filmed in a mall by my house so I think it is cool.

12. Winger "Seventeen" - I was 17 when this came out and I think Kip Winger is a hottie, too.

Written By: woops on 05/31/04 at 1:02 am

I recently brought "Essential Music Videos: Pop Hits" &  and saw an overlooked stinker:  :-X

"I'll Be Your Everything" by Tommy Page (1989)

BTW, I liked "Free Your Mind" (En Vogue), "If Wishes Come True" (Sweet Sensation ), "Only In My Dreams" (Debbie Gibson), & the song "I Swear" (All 4 One).  :) IMO, the video for "I Swear" (All 4 One, 1994) was mediocre.

And liked the entire "Essential Music Videos: Bang Your Head" DVD.  :D

Written By: Meriadoc on 05/31/04 at 3:33 am

Ah...but you are missing Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" ::) :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/31/04 at 5:14 am

Ah...but you are missing Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" ::) :P

Maybe so, but it WAS very 80's-ish  :)

Written By: woops on 10/27/04 at 1:15 am

Another stinker I would add to the list:  :P

REM "Orange Crush"

A boring & confusing clip that reminds me of an early '90's Calvin Klien ad.  :P

Written By: neeka27 on 10/27/04 at 1:40 am

i can't believe "Jeopardy" by Greg Kihn didn't make the list...he was in a church and an oversized monster comes out of the floor to grab him that's made of PVC pipe...now thats a bad video!  :o

Written By: Chrisrj on 10/27/04 at 1:53 am

True, it was one of the most overplayed songs of 1988 (of all time for that matter), but Bobby McFerrin with Robin Williams and the other guy was pretty funny.  You could have substituted it with "November Rain" by Guns & Roses.   :P

I just wanted to say it was from 1992, and he's talking about videos from the 80s, in case you missed that part.  Also, IMO, that video's a classic, but they played it when I was in the 6th or 7th grade.

"I'll Be Your Everything" by Tommy Page (1989)

It's funny, I have the song on a Billboard hits of the 90s CD where it's listed under 1990.  I never saw the video until I got the DVD, so was it 89 or 90?

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/27/04 at 6:57 am

Hmm... there are too many from the 80s.  Pick of the crop, "Love Train" by Holly Johnson (you'll believe the frontman of Frankie Goes to Hollywood can super-impose himself on a train made out of felt), "Street Dance" by Break Machine (break-dancing on cardboard boxes, fab), and anything from the 80s that featured either Rod Stewart or Sonia.  Was going to nominate "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora, but... I kinda like it...  :-\\

Written By: slwoodward2 on 10/27/04 at 8:03 am

I would have to disagree with Olivia Newton Johns "Physical". I used to LOVE that video as a kid...watching those fat, nasty guys turning into fit hunks. That was great!

I would agree with Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" I would cringe every time it showed her back side. OHHHH! What was she thinking??? That's the worst Hollywood butt I've ever seen.

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/27/04 at 8:54 am

That's the worst Hollywood butt I've ever seen.

With the exception of John Goodman, surely? :o

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 11/02/04 at 11:42 pm

Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait

Check for new replies or respond here...