inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: fashion in the 80s question

Written By: Klaus on 05/25/04 at 7:40 pm

I'm a teenage guy (16).  I was wondering if any of you guys and gals could help me out.  Did guys wear their collared shirts with the collar up?  Or was that a chick thing.  Also, if you could give a basic list of typical "guy" fashion for the 80's, i'd REALLY appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

Subject: Re: fashion in the 80s question

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/26/04 at 8:07 am

If you watch Valley Girl or Revenge of the Nerds, you will in fact see that guys wore their collars up. I remember girls doing that more w/ jackets than shirts.

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/28/04 at 12:19 am

theres quite a bit of different fashions that happened in the 80's.  so much exploded, its hard to pinpoint anything.  those of us growin up in those times do see alot of stuff coming back now. there was the surfer stoner wear: vans (writing checkers on the sides with a pen)  OP shirts, sometimes with the long sleeve shirt underneath, levi's.  LeTigre shirts came a little afterwards... i heard they are reselling them online and leather dock shoes with leather laces.  i remember about that time video one with richard blade on channel 56 here in the southbay, so i started wearing more new wave/punk clothes, lots of trips to the salvation army or goodwill to find cool shirts, occasional sports jackets that gave you that alternative hip look with your dark shades.  was fun times with clothes and music.   

Written By: JT74 on 05/28/04 at 12:35 am

Yeah, a lot of guys wore their collars up.  Most guys also wore tight jeans, but baggy shorts (Bermuda James were the style of the summer).  The 80's were sort of the transition between yuppy clothing and grungy, anything-goes clothing.  Back when I graduated high school ('92) there was a mix between the yuppy, button-down, tucked-in style clothing and the grunge style. 

Now it seems that there is no style!  Whatever people want to wear is fine...and that's OK with me.

Written By: DENISE on 06/06/04 at 1:31 pm

Hi the answer to you questions is yes the collar was popped up but not to many guys did it all of us girls did that was a fashion thing with us basically when we were wearing stretchy pants, with long shirt, big belts capezios and two pair of socks. But most of us use to pop the collar up when we had big loop earrings on.
I hope that my answer will help you.

Denise

Written By: Ash on 06/06/04 at 3:29 pm

I'm a teenage guy (16).  I was wondering if any of you guys and gals could help me out.  Did guys wear their collared shirts with the collar up?  Or was that a chick thing.  Also, if you could give a basic list of typical "guy" fashion for the 80's, i'd REALLY appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

Yes people wore their collars up from about 1981 to 1985 or at the latest '86.  I don't think anyone wore that style after 1986, because it looked cheesy by the late 80s.

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 06/06/04 at 8:14 pm

that movie Valley Girl with nicholas cage has some really good fashion of the 80's. 

Check for new replies or respond here...