inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80's Request Shows

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/26/04 at 12:24 pm

There have been alot of '80's request/retro  shows that have been on radio stations in my area for awhile now (NYC).  They used to be good, but it seems that the trend that is happening is people who call in to request a song and the DJ's that host these things think that the '80's began in 86 or 87.  They play no music from the earlier part of the decade.  I don't know if the "target audience" or whatever you want to call the age bracket that these shows are aimed at don't remember anything before the late '80's or what.  Is this just the trend here, or has anyone else noticed it in your area?

Subject: Re: '80's Request Shows

Written By: Gwen on 05/26/04 at 1:53 pm

For a little while in my area there was an 80's radio station.  Unfortunately they kept playing the same 10 songs over and over again through out the day =(  Obviously they changed thier format.  You'd think with 10 years worth of music they could find a variety of songs to play.  Seems radio stations only play a few certain songs from the 80s.  I think they're too afraid to play things that weren't highly recognizable in fear of a few people changing the station, instead of exposing people to music that they may have missed out on.

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/26/04 at 2:05 pm

Yeah it seems that alot of 80's retro stations only play the most "recognizable" tunes. Some lesser known ones would be a nice mixture. ::)

For a little while in my area there was an 80's radio station.  Unfortunately they kept playing the same 10 songs over and over again through out the day =(  Obviously they changed thier format.  You'd think with 10 years worth of music they could find a variety of songs to play.  Seems radio stations only play a few certain songs from the 80s.  I think they're too afraid to play things that weren't highly recognizable in fear of a few people changing the station, instead of exposing people to music that they may have missed out on.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/26/04 at 8:32 pm

I used to listen to an 80s request show every Saturday night.  Think it was called Retro Radio.  The host said he would play anything 80s, but really loves to play stuff from the early 80s.  Too bad the station that played that show got bought out, that was the only one we had, now we have no 80s request shows.

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/26/04 at 8:37 pm

It's a shame that these 80's request shows are disappearing.  I guess I should be glad that there are some where I live.  It would just be nice to hear some different songs every now and then, you know what I mean?  I'll stop complaining now! LOL

Written By: Howard on 05/27/04 at 5:13 pm

In NYC where I live On Saturday Nights,they play Request Hour.Your Favorite dance hits of the 80's.So,if you check around there should be some. ;)

Howard

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/28/04 at 7:33 pm

Video One with Richard Blade - early eighties.  think it was only played in southern california.  they played the latest videos as they came out and had the audience dancing, it was great.

Check for new replies or respond here...