inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the sexy girls from human league

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/28/04 at 12:06 am

they were so fine, i still fantasize about them.  i wonder if phil oakey got down with any of them on daily basis.  i envy him.

Subject: Re: the sexy girls from human league

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/04 at 3:14 am

Heh heh. I wonder. He found them dancing at a night club. They had no intention of becoming singers at all but did it for a bit of a laugh.

Just to add: Blancmange are a great group (looking at your avatar).  :)

Written By: maddog on 05/28/04 at 4:48 am

I'm pretty sure that Phil Oakey had a long term relationship with Joanne Catherall (the brunette).
They could very well still be together to this day.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/04 at 6:48 pm

I guess those girls really stuck with him for 20 years now.That's great! :)

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 3:04 am

I'm pretty sure that Phil Oakey had a long term relationship with Joanne Catherall (the brunette).
They could very well still be together to this day.

Yeah, they're married. 
:-*
I was listening to Hysteria last week.  Funny how those young ladies could sound so amateur, yet somehow lend the group a kind of sophistication.

Blaznfattyz,

I'M A BIIIG FAN OF BLANCMANGE
They were severely underrated, and their recording career was way too short, but they managed to turn out a lot of gems in four short years.
:)

Written By: Howard on 05/29/04 at 8:46 am

So,I guess it was from 1983-1987 that the girls were together with Phil Oakley then must've decided to go seperate ways. ???

Howard

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/29/04 at 10:10 am

yup i agree blancmange is one of my favorites.  some songs sum up the eighties for me, and blancmange's songs do that. 

Yeah, they're married. 
:-*
I was listening to Hysteria last week.  Funny how those young ladies could sound so amateur, yet somehow lend the group a kind of sophistication.

Blaznfattyz,

I'M A BIIIG FAN OF BLANCMANGE
They were severely underrated, and their recording career was way too short, but they managed to turn out a lot of gems in four short years.

Written By: Lennox_626 on 05/29/04 at 2:33 pm

My mum & her best mate have a massive resemblance to the two girls from Human League.

Written By: hysteria on 05/29/04 at 3:43 pm

So,I guess it was from 1983-1987 that the girls were together with Phil Oakley then must've decided to go seperate ways. ???

Howard

thogether since dare but oky was asked to record electric dreams ( one of my faves)  for the love is love movie in 87 they got back together in 88 /89  they were cute even trough iam 21

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:08 am

What's Paul Oakley up to these days?

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 10:43 am

What's Paul Oakley up to these days?

Phil Oakey, Howard, had somewhat of a comeback in the mid 90s with two hits (Tell me when and Somewhere in my heart). I think they do independent concerts. Here's a website:

http://www.league-online.com/news.html

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:49 am

Phil Oakey, Howard, had somewhat of a comeback in the mid 90s with two hits (Tell me when and Somewhere in my heart). I think they do independent concerts. Here's a website:

http://www.league-online.com/news.html

Wow,they had changed a whole lot within the past 22 years. :o

Howard

Written By: KROQ_80s_Fan on 06/06/04 at 6:27 pm

Human League performed in the SoCal area last year.  Phil (with a shaved head) AND the girls (looking GREAT and cleavaged)!

Written By: Bobby on 06/06/04 at 6:32 pm

Human League performed in the SoCal area last year.  Phil (with a shaved head) AND the girls (looking GREAT and cleavaged)!

Those girls look HOT!

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 06/06/04 at 8:11 pm

great pic... those girls are still sexy ... damn it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/04 at 2:10 am

thogether since dare but oky was asked to record electric dreams ( one of my faves)  for the love is love movie in 87 they got back together in 88 /89  they were cute even trough iam 21

The song Together in Electric Dreams was recorded for the film Electric Dreams (1984).  Giorgio Moroder also did the incidental music for that film.  Phil Oakey and G. Moroder then made a short studio album entitled Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder, released in 1985, with the following tracks:
1. Why Must the Show Go On -
2. In Transit -
3. Good-Bye Bad Times -
4. Brand New Love (Take a Chance) -
5. Valerie -
6. Now -
7. Together in Electric Dreams -
8. Be My Lover Now -
9. Shake It Up -

It's hard to find these days, but I'm sure it's available on the web, though it may be a little dear.  This one's for die-hard fans only, it sounds like Human League Lite, and the production is cheesy, like they pulled the whole thing together in a weekend.  Tracks 1,3,4,5, and 7 are fun if you can't get enough of Phil Oakey's voice and love the cheesier side of synth pop.  Studio musicians on album, Arthur Barrow, Richie Zito, and EG Daily aslo appear on the Electric Dreams soundtrack.  E.D. also features songs by Heaven 17, Culture Club, and Jeff Lynne from ELO.
The Oakey/Moroder collaboration didn't signal an interruption of Human League, just a side project.  "Human" topped the charts the following year, and they released the Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis-produced Crash, about which I have nothing good to say!

Electric Dreams
http://imdb.com/title/tt0087197/

Written By: Howard on 06/07/04 at 7:57 pm

WOW! :o Look at those! ;D

Howard

Written By: stacy on 06/07/04 at 11:25 pm

I will never forget way back in like, 1984 Joanne & Suzanne from The Human League were giving an interview on CFNY in Toronto. I was listening and I desperately tried to dial in to the radio station, so I could say hello to them.
I DID get through! :D And all I wanted to say to the gilrs was how AMAZING they always looked, and how no one in the business had better make-up than them. AND they dissolved into laughter and were sooooo flattered.
I really meant it. And they still look great. Of course the songs are great too, but I just had to mention how great they looked becuause you could tell they put themselves together.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/04 at 11:48 pm

I will never forget way back in like, 1984 Joanne & Suzanne from The Human League were giving an interview on CFNY in Toronto. I was listening and I desperately tried to dial in to the radio station, so I could say hello to them.
I DID get through! :D And all I wanted to say to the gilrs was how AMAZING they always looked, and how no one in the business had better make-up than them. AND they dissolved into laughter and were sooooo flattered.
I really meant it. And they still look great. Of course the songs are great too, but I just had to mention how great they looked becuause you could tell they put themselves together.

You got to talk to the Human League girls? Q-L!
8)

Written By: Hairspray on 06/08/04 at 11:29 pm

Yeah, they sure knew how to do the sexy eye make-up. :-*

Written By: Howard on 06/09/04 at 6:47 pm

And no sign of gray.They must dye their hair! ;D

Howard

Written By: Powerslave on 06/10/04 at 1:18 am

I saw Human League in Sydney late last year, and the ladies looked great!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/04 at 1:25 am

And no sign of gray.They must dye their hair! ;D

Howard

Well, they're only in their early 40s, remember they were barely out of high school when Oakey met them at a Sheffield disco!

Check for new replies or respond here...