inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80's Sword & Fantasy movie

Written By: bige31001 on 05/29/04 at 12:51 pm

I know I probably missed some movies. My favorite is Excalibur.  Big E

Subject: Re: Favorite 80's Sword & Fantasy movie

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/29/04 at 3:49 pm

Neverending story...does that count?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/29/04 at 7:24 pm

Of those listed I chose Legend...but my real favorite is The Never Ending Story.  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/29/04 at 8:22 pm

It was tough deciding on a favorite because I liked "Excalibur" very much, with exception of Guinevere's (she's a ho-bag) deception, but then I also liked "The BeastMaster" quite a lot. I'll even call it awesome, though the sequel should have never been made. :P When it came down to the nitty-gritty, I voted "Conan the Barbarian" as my ultimate fave. I even liked the sequel!! :o :)

Written By: NbC on 05/29/04 at 8:41 pm

Legend

Written By: JT74 on 05/29/04 at 9:40 pm

Dragonslayer.  That movie used to scare the hell out of me!  The dragon was well done for the 80's.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 05/30/04 at 11:24 am

a toss up between conan and excalibur. but i went with conan. i read all of REHs short stories, comics; i was such a huge conan fanboy.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/30/04 at 11:32 am

The Princess Bride

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 2:02 pm

Probably Labyrinth followed by Never Ending Story - not neccessarily sword and sorcery but fantasy nonetheless.  :)

Written By: Lanie on 05/30/04 at 3:16 pm

The Never Ending Story

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/31/04 at 10:09 am

Legend...I love the unicorns.

Written By: Gwen on 05/31/04 at 7:33 pm

Krull is my fav 80s sword movie.
Labyrinth is my favorite fantasy movie from the 80s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/04 at 8:28 pm

It's actually The Sword and the Sorcerer, I picked that one 'coz it's so cheesy.  The big star is Lee "Matt Houston" Horsley! (I Horsley cry...)
:P

...and don't forget Krull!

Written By: Steve2891 on 05/31/04 at 9:08 pm

The Beastmaster.

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/01/04 at 1:13 pm

I would choose Labryinth as my fave fantasy movie too. Thought I voted for Legend.

Written By: Kryllith on 06/07/04 at 9:39 am

I like a lot of them, but I'll go with Ladyhawke.

Kryllith

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/09/04 at 12:15 am

I voted other for The Beastmaster!Best swords movie that ever was and ever will be!part 3 was horribale though!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/12/04 at 2:46 am

Flesh & Blood
The Princess Bride

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/03/04 at 3:02 am

I can't believe no one mentioned one of my favs, which I got on DVD a few years ago...Willow...

Written By: _adam_ on 11/03/04 at 1:11 pm

Willow

Written By: joedeertae on 11/03/04 at 6:05 pm

I can't believe no one mentioned one of my favs, which I got on DVD a few years ago...Willow...

I was just thinking Labrinth and Willow as I was reading thru this thread. < My two favorite Fantasy Flicks of the 80's.
Although I voted for Excalibur as it was on the list (my fav sword flick). 
Also, don't forget about The Barbarians. Remember that one? with the "Barbarian Twinis"? I liked that one too

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/04 at 9:56 pm

I voted for Legend....

Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, The Black Cauldron, The Never Ending Story, Willow,  Sword and The Sorcerer, The Dark Crystal, Labryinth, and The Princess Bride are good films.

Bad films would be Red Sonja, Conan The Destroyer, and Yor: The Hunter From The Future.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/04 at 1:05 pm

There were a lot of good ones that many people have mentioned (why aren't they making them anymore-just remakes of old t.v. shows.  ::)) But I chose one of my all-time favorite movies-Excalibar.

Cat

Written By: Lillbrown on 11/04/04 at 1:45 pm

Why, Heavy Metal, of course. 

Written By: joedeertae on 11/04/04 at 2:26 pm

Why, Heavy Metal, of course.

Ohhh... good one! I for got about that one.

Written By: Todd Z on 11/04/04 at 3:19 pm

I voted for Legend....

Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, The Black Cauldron, The Never Ending Story, Willow,  Sword and The Sorcerer, The Dark Crystal, Labryinth, and The Princess Bride are good films.

Bad films would be Red Sonja, Conan The Destroyer, and Yor: The Hunter From The Future.

I remember Dark Crystal, that was sort of weird eh? Wasn't there a movie called The Secret of Nim?

Written By: joedeertae on 11/04/04 at 4:20 pm

Wasn't there a movie called The Secret of Nim?

Sure was!(1982) It was animated. I liked that on too!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/04 at 7:17 pm

Yes, there was a film called The Secret of NIMH, and it's one of my favorite animated movies.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/04/04 at 9:36 pm

if were talking fave animated fantasy movies (heavy metal to me is sci-fi) then it would be 'watership down', although it's from the 70s. secret of NIMh is also an excellent film.

Written By: Todd Z on 11/05/04 at 12:32 am

Yeah you guys, wasn't The Secret of Nim sort of violent for a cartoon?  It seems like I remember it being violent?

Written By: joedeertae on 11/05/04 at 6:56 am

Yeah you guys, wasn't The Secret of Nim sort of violent for a cartoon?  It seems like I remember it being violent?

Plot Summary for The Secret of NIMH

Don Bluth's THE SECRET OF NIMH is an exquisitely drawn, colorfully animated feature about Mrs. Brisby, a brave mother field mouse who struggles to save her family's home from a farmer's plow. She soon discovers she needs the help of the strange, intelligent rats who live beneath the nearby rosebush in an intricate city. But when the timid but determined Mrs. Brisby discovers the astounding wonders of NIMH, it could change her life forever. From the Hitchcockian flashback sequence revealing the rats' secret to the moral questions raised about animal testing, this film is a beautiful example of how animation can expertly tell a gripping story while still remaining appropriate and entertaining for children. Widely considered to be Bluth's masterpiece, THE SECRET OF NIMH features a strong cast of vocal talent, including Derek Jacobi, John Carradine, Dom DeLuise, Elizabeth Hartman, Wil Wheaton, and Shannen Doherty.

Trivia:  Don Bluth, John Pomeroy and Gary Goldman all left Disney to pursue this project, which had originally been rejected by their former employer as "too dark" to be a commercial success. They were followed soon after by 20 other Disney animators, dubbed "The Disney Defectors" by the trade press.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/video/images/muze/dvd/sm/17/133217.jpg

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/05/04 at 7:12 am

yes, it was actually. i hope your not one of those people who feel that animation is strictly meant for children.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/05/04 at 9:10 am

It's not violent per say, but for an animated film it is pretty dark, fights take place, and charecters get killed or nearly killed.

Written By: Todd Z on 11/05/04 at 1:19 pm

yes, it was actually. i hope your not one of those people who feel that animation is strictly meant for children.
Oh no, I know there's a lot of animated movies that are not for kids. Esp a lot of the Japanesse movies! I just remember watching the secret Nimh when I was little, and I remember thinking "wow" this is a little different from other cartoons! But I can hardly remember it now, all I remember was being surprised on how much different it was compared to other cartoons they would show us in school.  I'm gonna have to see it again, I will probably start remebering it as I watch it?

Written By: Todd Z on 11/05/04 at 1:31 pm

Plot Summary for The Secret Of NIMH.

Trivia:  Don Bluth, John Pomeroy and Gary Goldman all left Disney to pursue this project, which had originally been rejected by their former employer as "too dark" to be a commercial success. They were followed soon after by 20 other Disney animators, dubbed "The Disney Defectors" by the trade press.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/video/images/muze/dvd/sm/17/133217.jpg
BTW Thanks for the info JoeDeertae I'm gonna have to see this again!.. Shannon Doherty was one of the voices eh?  She must have been just a kid then.

Written By: onaree on 11/05/04 at 2:21 pm

I picked other.  I really love The Beastmaster. 

Written By: joedeertae on 11/05/04 at 2:32 pm

BTW Thanks for the info JoeDeertae

No prob.

Shannon Doherty was one of the voices eh?  She must have been just a kid then.

Exactly what I was thinking... she would have been around 11 at that time.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/05/04 at 6:40 pm

Another animated fantasy film I like is The Black Cauldron.

Written By: McDonald on 11/05/04 at 8:25 pm

I picked Excalibur because King Arthur is the shiznyte! But I also love Willow. My parents say I used to rent that movies every time we went to the video store. I also liked Conan, and I remember watching Red Sonja on TNT all the time. When was "Clash of the Titans" made? Was it 80s or 70s?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/05/04 at 8:54 pm

Clash of The Titans was made in 1981.

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 11/08/04 at 11:27 am

The '80's was a good decade for Sword & Fantasy movies. Of those listed, my favorite would have to "Dragonslyaer." It scared me, too. Of others, my favorite would have to be "Krull."

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/08/04 at 11:40 am

Labyrinth followed by The Neverending Story! Clash of the Titans was good too. Remember when he met up with Medusa?
Tanya

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 11/08/04 at 2:30 pm

Labyrinth followed by The Neverending Story

I agree here--those are the first ones I thought of too, as well as the Princess Bride, if it counts.  :)
I've never been a big fan of the Conan-type movies myself.

Written By: Xonnie316 on 11/08/04 at 5:51 pm

I voted for Conan,

But Willow is one of my favs.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/09/04 at 12:06 am

Does Highlander count?

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 4:17 pm

Legend, which is also the greatest movie Tom Cruise has ever appeared in :)

Check for new replies or respond here...