inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Haircut One Hundred Poll

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/29/04 at 4:26 pm

LOVE + One ;)

Subject: Re: Haircut One Hundred Poll

Written By: woops on 05/29/04 at 4:43 pm

"Favourite Shirts"  :D

"Love Plus One" second

Though I only know these two.

Written By: Paul on 05/29/04 at 5:56 pm

Smashing group...pure pop all the way...

(tho', in fairness, some of those titles above are Nick Heyward solo efforts, but let's not split hairs...)

Other: 'Nobody's Fool' (1982)

Written By: Louise Mcquade on 05/29/04 at 6:36 pm

um, gotta say Laura  ;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/29/04 at 9:39 pm

Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)! ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: maddog on 05/30/04 at 3:04 am

Favourite Shirts - deffo.

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 05/30/04 at 3:56 am

I would have to say the 12" version of "Tell Me Why" by Nick Heyward.  Wasn't he the lead singer for Haircut onehundred?

Written By: zcrito on 05/30/04 at 4:18 am

RnRFan is right! :)

Their best song is one of the best of the '80s - "Love Plus One" (Fall of 1984, where I live)

;) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/04 at 6:09 am

LPO
Don't know much Haircut 100.  I reviewed the Nick Hayward solo CDs from the '90s when they were serviced to my radio station.  He's a good songwriter.

Written By: mandamoo on 05/30/04 at 7:43 am

Love Plus One

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 05/30/04 at 8:57 am

i loved the sound of this group.  didnt the lead singer go mental?

Written By: zac on 05/30/04 at 11:08 am

The only one that i've heard is Love Plus One.  But then then some of the 80s is a blur still to this day.  8)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/30/04 at 11:18 am

i loved the sound of this group.   didnt the lead singer go mental?

Nope.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Paul on 05/30/04 at 4:18 pm

Going by what I've read in interviews, Nick seems to be one helluva great bloke, with not a bad word for anyone...he's never been unfortunate enough to be plagued by any sort of mental illness...

Possibly Adam Ant you're thinking about? Who went 'a bit funny' some time ago...

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 5:51 pm

Fantastic Day for me. I also like Warning Sign by Nick Heyward.

Written By: Rush on 05/30/04 at 7:54 pm

I went with "Fantastic Day"

Written By: jaytee on 05/31/04 at 10:43 pm

Favourite Shirts

Written By: bj26 on 06/01/04 at 11:27 am

i loved the sound of this group.   didnt the lead singer go mental?

Nick Heyward (vocals, guitar) left his band Haircut 100 just when they were cruising through the pop charts in the U.K. Instead of destroying his career, the move actually provided him with more artistic credibility. Heyward was born on May 20, 1961, in Beckenham, Kent, England. In 1980, Heyward formed the new wave group Haircut 100. Haircut 100 became as well-known for the preppie outfits they wore as much as MTV bubblegum like "Love Plus One" and "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)," two of the most endearing songs of the '80s. Both singles hit the Top Ten in Britain in 1982. Heyward recorded one LP for Haircut 100, Pelican West, and then departed for a solo career. Once on his own, Heyward's work lost much of Haircut 100's teen gloss; the music was still catchy, but the lyrics were more adult and introspective, as displayed on tracks like "Whistle Down the Wind" from his 1983 solo debut North of a Miracle. Heyward's solo output in the '80s didn't have much commercial impact in the U.S.; however, his popularity — and pin-up appeal — in England was kept intact by North of a Miracle. But it was temporary: 1986's Postcards From Home and 1988's I Love You Avenue didn't grab listeners. In 1994, the Beatles-like "Kite" on From Monday to Sunday was a surprise smash on American modern rock stations. Heyward continued to record albums in the '90s, none of which received attention outside of his loyal fan base. In 2001, Heyward released Open Seseme Seed with Greg Ellis.

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/01/04 at 1:10 pm

Love Plus One

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/25/04 at 8:14 am

Fantastic Day

Written By: Magic Pudding on 06/25/04 at 8:24 am

Love Plus One

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/25/04 at 3:06 pm

Favourite Shirts

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/09/04 at 1:30 pm

'Love Plus One"

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 09/07/04 at 9:29 pm

Nope.

Absolutely Vile

lol, ya.... whatever.  was just on vh1's bands reunited.  nick said himself, along with the band, that he had a nervous and physical breakdown.  he had to check himself into some kind of rehab place.  i knew he went mental.   

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/07/04 at 10:12 pm

lol, ya.... whatever.  was just on vh1's bands reunited.  nick said himself, along with the band, that he had a nervous and physical breakdown.  he had to check himself into some kind of rehab place.  i knew he went mental.   

Yeah, well, I didn't see that. (Could a reliable source please confirm this?) I was just going by what I read (which, I believe, is what bj26 posted, if it came from www.allmusic.com, because that's what I was looking at).

Absolutely Vile

Written By: zcrito on 09/07/04 at 11:37 pm

Yeah, well, I didn't see that. (Could a reliable source please confirm this?) I was just going by what I read (which, I believe, is what bj26 posted, if it came from www.allmusic.com, because that's what I was looking at).

Absolutely Vile

He didn't go "mental". He said he got depressed and had a "breakdown". He also said he didn't do drugs during their recording career (good for you Nick).

I saw VH1's Bands Reunited late last night by accident. They brought the whole group back after 20 years -- and they sounded just fine.

"Love Plus One" is one of my favorite songs of the '80s and I don't know why but I always think of September, 1984, when I think of them?

:)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/07/04 at 11:43 pm

He didn't go "mental". He said he got depressed and had a "breakdown". He also said he didn't do drugs during their recording career (good for you Nick).

I saw VH1's Bands Reunited late last night by accident. They brought the whole group back after 20 years -- and they sounded just fine.

Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: nally on 09/10/04 at 10:49 am

The only songs of theirs that I know are "Love Plus 1" and "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)". Anyway, the one of those that I like the best is "Love Plus One" (the long version). ;)

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/05 at 2:57 pm

"Whistle Down the Wind" and "Blue Hat For A Blue Day" were not Haircut 100 songs, but solo hits for Nick Heyward :)

I really love Blue Hat, but as for Haircut 100, I picked "Love Plus One".  Just love that song :)

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 12:20 pm

Love Plus One ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...