inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Primetime soaps of the 80s

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 06/01/04 at 1:13 am

Ahhh...anyone remember the days when glitzy, glittery, naughty primtime soap operas like 'Dynasty' and 'Dallas' reigned supreme in primetime? Even though I was only a kid, I was always fascinated by the campy fantasy of it all. What I also dig about those shows, is that many stars from Hollywood's golden era had recurring roles in them; Jane Wyman in 'Falcon Crest', Donna Reed in 'Dallas', and my favorite actress of all time: Anne Baxter as Victoria Cabot, the elegant hotel matriarch in 'Hotel'. I would definately say the early 80s were the last true remnants of the elegant bygone era, as made possible by Hollywood's Golden actors and actresses re-appearing on the small screen. Oh, what a beautiful time to be alive!!!!

Peaceout,
CP

Subject: Re: Primetime soaps of the 80s

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/01/04 at 7:08 am

I liked Dynasty.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/04 at 8:17 am

Ahhh...anyone remember the days when glitzy, glittery, naughty primtime soap operas like 'Dynasty' and 'Dallas' reigned supreme in primetime? Even though I was only a kid, I was always fascinated by the campy fantasy of it all. What I also dig about those shows, is that many stars from Hollywood's golden era had recurring roles in them; Jane Wyman in 'Falcon Crest', Donna Reed in 'Dallas', and my favorite actress of all time: Anne Baxter as Victoria Cabot, the elegant hotel matriarch in 'Hotel'. I would definately say the early 80s were the last true remnants of the elegant bygone era, as made possible by Hollywood's Golden actors and actresses re-appearing on the small screen. Oh, what a beautiful time to be alive!!!!

Peaceout,
CP

What about Barbars Bel Geddes the original Mrs. Ewing?  Donna Reed took over for her when Bel Geddes got sick, as I recall.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/04 at 11:47 am

I watched the very first episode of Dallas the very first time it aired. I was thinking, "Wow, what a good show." It wasn't until the "Who shot JR?" thing came out that I realized how popular it was. I thought I was the only one watching it. That was about the time I stopped-and started watching Dynasty and the Colbys.

I saw this thing on one of the awards shows about "who shot JR?" They filmed about 5 or 6 of the charactors actually shotting him. They first showed the gun in someone's hands and then the camera moved to show the face who those hands belonged to. The last one really cracked me up because the hands were really shaking and when the camera moved to show the face, it was Larry Hagman with a really bizarre look on his face.

Cat

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/01/04 at 1:08 pm

I liked Dallas. My mom and I used to watch it, though I might've been too young to fully grasp it.

Written By: Cheetara on 06/01/04 at 4:23 pm

DYNASTY

Alexis Carrington defined the word BITCH. :-X

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/02/04 at 12:03 pm

I was a little kid, but my grandma used to watch Dallas and Falcon Crest all the time.  My mom watched Dynasty then watched Knots Landing later on.  Seems like after LA Law, they all started turning into law shows.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/03/04 at 12:15 pm

I watched all those shows at one time or another.  I really miss those night time soaps, seems that people go for reality shows more nowadays, so these soaps never survive.  One that I didn't see mentioned was Knots Landing. That was extremely popular, but I don't think as popular ad Dynasty.

Check for new replies or respond here...