inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: National Lampoon's Vacation Movie Poll

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/03/04 at 7:29 am

For me, nothing compares to the first movie - Anthony Michael Hall was the best Rusty out of all the Vacation films and Imogene Coca as Aunt Edna was hilarious in it too.

Subject: Re: National Lampoon's Vacation Movie Poll

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/03/04 at 8:22 am

1st one is the best for me, but Chistmas Vacation had some hilarious scenes in it.

Written By: hoogbest on 06/03/04 at 10:05 am

I love Christmas Vacation.  The ongoing battle and slow demise of the yuppie couple is just great. Clark W. is his old self....a loving, caring middle class dad who wants nothing but the best for his family, including Eddie and his brood. The ending is very satisfying and the way Clark's boss' wife kicks her husband's ass for screwing the employees is a nice touch. And , of course, the music is outstanding. In fact the movie has become a tradition at out house when the entire family gets together a day close to Christmas to watch the flick.  Everyone starts asking when we are going to have "the movie" and of course I always know what they mean.  By the way I have been accused of being the real Clark W. Griswald and it makes me proud! :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/03/04 at 11:46 am

I love the first one, and Christmas Vacation.  Second least favorite was European Vacation but parts were funny, and I really didnt care for Vegas Vacation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/04 at 12:20 pm

National Lampoon's
VACATION
of course!

"A pilgrimage to see a moose!"

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 06/03/04 at 12:42 pm

Definetly the first one for me! I just watched it a few nights ago too!!! It really is a classic movie!!!

Rio

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/03/04 at 12:53 pm

That's a really cool tradition. I always watch that film too around Christmas time.

I love Christmas Vacation.  The ongoing battle and slow demise of the yuppie couple is just great. Clark W. is his old self....a loving, caring middle class dad who wants nothing but the best for his family, including Eddie and his brood. The ending is very satisfying and the way Clark's boss' wife kicks her husband's a** for screwing the employees is a nice touch. And , of course, the music is outstanding. In fact the movie has become a tradition at out house when the entire family gets together a day close to Christmas to watch the flick.  Everyone starts asking when we are going to have "the movie" and of course I always know what they mean.  By the way I have been accused of being the real Clark W. Griswald and it makes me proud! :)

Written By: Hairspray on 06/03/04 at 1:35 pm

Christmas Vacation

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/03/04 at 1:56 pm

Christmas Vacation was funny.

Written By: Lanie on 06/03/04 at 3:41 pm

Vegas Vacation -- The only one I have actually sat down to watch.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/03/04 at 3:47 pm

The first one! 

" think you're all fu**ed in the head. We're ten hours from the fu**ing fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fu**ing fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your a**holes! I've got to be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose! Praise Marty Moose!" ;)

Written By: gemini61 on 06/03/04 at 7:30 pm

My favorite is Christmas Vacation. I love the part when the cops come in and say "everybody freeze" and they're all standing there like statues, and Ellen has her hand on Clarks crotch! Its hilarious :)

Written By: mandamoo on 06/04/04 at 6:40 am

1st Vacation film (1983)

Written By: Tbullsr on 06/04/04 at 11:13 am

They are all great.  :D  But I went with Christmas.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: ferrisb on 06/04/04 at 11:51 am

For me, nothing compares to the first movie - Anthony Michael Hall was the best Rusty out of all the Vacation films and Imogene Coca as Aunt Edna was hilarious in it too.

Yep couldn't agree with you more.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/04/04 at 11:57 am

As with most movie series Ill take the original over the sequels.  But Ill still give credit to all the sequels they had their hilarious moments.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/04/04 at 12:04 pm

1st one is the best!  :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/04/04 at 12:29 pm

Original Vacation!

Written By: conker on 06/04/04 at 12:44 pm

I voted for the original though if you counted the stories that the movies were based on in th eNational Lampoon magazine Christmas is much funnier.

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/04/04 at 12:48 pm

Did you notice in all three Vacation films how animals somehow seemed to get in harm's way?

In the first movie, Clark ties Aunt Edna's dog to the back of the bumper and then gets stopped by the police later down the road.

In European Vacation, after Rusty protests about wearing a beret with his name on it, Clark tosses it into the river when they're way up in the Eiffel Tower and a woman's poodle jumps from her lap and into the river to try and catch the beret.

In Christmas Vacation, the cat is chewing on the Christmas tree lights - the family is in another room eating dinner and all of a sudded they hear the cat howling (followed by Cousin Eddie's line that went something like "If that cat had nine lives, she just about used up every one of them" - not sure if that's the exact quote, but close enough)

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 12:51 pm

That is an interesting observation. Don't forget the squirrel scene in the tree w/ the dog.  ;D Was there an animal in Vegas Vacation?

Did you notice in all three Vacation films how animals somehow seemed to get in harm's way?

In the first movie, Clark ties Aunt Edna's dog to the back of the bumper and then gets stopped by the police later down the road.

In European Vacation, after Rusty protests about wearing a beret with his name on it, Clark tosses it into the river when they're way up in the Eiffel Tower and a woman's poodle jumps from her lap and into the river to try and catch the beret.

In Christmas Vacation, the cat is chewing on the Christmas tree lights - the family is in another room eating dinner and all of a sudded they hear the cat howling (followed by Cousin Eddie's line that went something like "If that cat had nine lives, she just about used up every one of them" - not sure if that's the exact quote, but close enough)

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 12:54 pm

Does anyone remember the sequel to Christmas Vacation? In 2003 tv movie, Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure ...from what I understand it was quite forgettable,even though it had the original Audrey (Dana Barron - who is the only Griswold kid to reprise their role).
-- Info courtesy of imdb.com

Written By: Climber on 06/04/04 at 7:04 pm

I went with the original.  The others were funny, but you didn't get the element of surprise, because you'd seen a lot of the gags in the first one.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/04/04 at 7:32 pm

I went with Christmas Vacation but the first one is a close second.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/04 at 9:11 pm

The first one! 

" think you're all fu**ed in the head. We're ten hours from the fu**ing fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fu**ing fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your a**holes! I've got to be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose! Praise Marty Moose!" ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
Dad, you want an aspirin or something?
DON'T TOUCH!!

(the Grand Canyon)
Clark: It's only the biggest g*dd*m hole in the universe!
Edna: CLARK!! Watch your language!
Clark: Make that the second biggest.

Ellen: Do you like that girl, Clark?
Clark: Guffaw! How could I like a girl like that? She's ugly! I love you.

Edna: This your idea of a good restaurant? DOG KILLER !!!

Eddie: Yeah, I got laid off when they closed that asbestos plant a while back, and then, wouldn't you know it, the army cut my pension 'cuz they said the plate in my head wuddn't big enough..."
Edna: Why don't you just ASK him for the  money, Eddie? He sure as h*ll can't take a hint!
Eddie: Clark, do you think you could...spare a little...
Clark: (takes out his billfold) Sure, Eddie, how much do you need?
Eddie: about fifty-two thousand dollars.

Vicki: I'm going steady...and I French kiss.
Audrey: So, everybody does that.
Vicki: Yeah but DADDY says I'm the BEST!

Greasemonkey #1: Boy, I never seen nobody sh*t all stupid as you drivin' off that road, you must got manure fer yer brains!
Clark: Well, I'm from out of town.  How much?
Greasemonkey #2: (snickering) How much you got?
Clark: No, I'm asking you how much the repairs come to?
Greasemonkey #2: (irritated) And I'm asking you how much you got!
Clark: Look, I don't have time to play games here, how much is it?
Greasemonkey #2: (palming wrench) All of it, boy!
Clark: (shuffling bills) What does your sheriff think of your business practices?
Greasemonkeys look at eachother and laugh, greasemonkey #2, flops open his wallet revealing the sheriff's badge.

----and too many more to recount!!!

Conker wrote:
I voted for the original though if you counted the stories that the movies were based on in th eNational Lampoon magazine Christmas is much funnier.
Oh, did you ever read the original stories by John Hughes? I have.  If you can get your hands on NatLamp back issues from the '70s through about 1980, most of Hughes' ideas for his '80s movies are in his NatLamp writings.
The original vacation stories are not terribly well written, but a whole lot more perverse.  For instance, in the "Vacation '58" story, Dad (Clark) buys a REAL gun and shoots Walt Disney in the leg.  The prototype for Long Duck Dong appears in the "Christmas" story.  I think his name is Gung Ho.  He's an exchange student living with the grandparents.  Instead of a loveable goof like the Donger, Gung Ho is a sleaze.  He tries to steal Dad's/Clark's tools.  IIRC, "...and there was Gung Ho loading a bunch of Dad's tools and stuff into his gym bag.  I said, 'Hey, what are you doing?,' and he goes 'Oooh, I just rooking for a game to pray!' and ran away."
Also, the "Hot Wet Wife" video from "European Vacation" appeared in NatLamp as a series of grainy photos with captions.  They were supposed to be stills from a primitive Betamax camera.  The last line is, "remind me to erase this after, I wouldn't want some @sshole like Hughes getting his hands on it!"

Yes, I have no life.
::)

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/09/04 at 12:33 am

First vaction film followed by christmas vaction.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 1:39 pm

I voted for the first one, but Christmas vacation is funny as hell too!

tanya

Written By: Koop on 07/31/04 at 2:18 pm

I voted for the original, but Vegas Vacation is a close second. 

I haven't seen Christmas Vacation and thought European Vacation was okay, but they had my least favorite Griswold kids.

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 11:43 am

They all have both strong and weak points.  I voted for European Vacation because I think it's very under-rated.  The original is great.  I think I am one of the few that think Christmas Vacation was not that funny.  It had its moments but the other three are much funnier (to me). ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 12:44 pm

The first one.

Cat

Written By: onaree on 12/01/04 at 12:49 pm

I liked the first one the best.  EVery Christmas we watch Christmas vacation.

To this day everytime the cable goes out and there is snow on the screen, someone in my family will usually say, "Do you want to watch the snow or the cheese?"  from European Vacation.

Written By: Todd Z on 12/01/04 at 2:56 pm

Does anyone remember the sequel to Christmas Vacation? In 2003 tv movie, Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure ...from what I understand it was quite forgettable,even though it had the original Audrey (Dana Barron - who is the only Griswold kid to reprise their role).
-- Info courtesy of imdb.com
I never seen it, but I heard it's on DVD now. Someone told me they saw it for like 10 bucks at Wal Mart?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 7:03 pm

I went for the first one, Christmas Vacation is funny too. The weird thing about the series is that actors that play the kids seem to get either younger or older as the series goes on.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/05 at 9:36 pm

National Lampoon's Vacation is hands down...my all-time favorite movie. I could sit there and literally watch it over and over again...and would NEVER get sick of it. It takes me back to the days when my family would venture out on our summer vacations...usually to Wildwood, NJ to go to the beach....those are times i will never forget.
That movie is sooo classic...and there are some great lines from that movie as well.... "We'll be having so much F***in fun, we'll all be whistling dixie through our a**holes" Clark W. Griswald.....I tell ya...it doesn't get much better than that!!

Erin  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 1:06 pm

They were showing National Lampoon's Vacation, on TBS again yesterday!  ::)

Written By: McDonald on 03/01/05 at 1:17 pm

I picked the European Vacation. I also think it was underrated. My favourite part is where they are all on the plane having dream sequences of how Europe was going to be, and Rusty was having one where he was in a discotheque dresed in all white leather wtih his name on the back of his jacket, Powerstation is playing in the background "Some Like it Hot" and he mackin' on all the ladies.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/05 at 3:26 pm

They were showing National Lampoon's Vacation, on TBS again yesterday!  ::)

I so watched it....twice!!! LOL

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 12:10 am

They are all great, but I chose European Vacation because it made me laugh the most of them all

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/03/05 at 7:43 am

Christmas Vacation from 1989 is my favorite, just because it's the one I saw in the theaters.

Check for new replies or respond here...