inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short-Lived Sodas of the 80's

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/04/04 at 7:36 am

Does anyone remember drinking brands like New Coke, Pepsi AM, Like Cola, or 7-Up Gold?

I had New Coke from time to time, but as the saying goes "Can't beat the real thing!"

FYI : I was watching an episode of Unwrapped one time on Food Network, and they talked about how the folks at Pepsi thought it would be a great idea to come up with Pepsi AM because they heard that college students drank Pepsi in the morning.

Subject: Re: Short-Lived Sodas of the 80's

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 7:49 am

I also remember Pepsi 1 (b/c it only had one calorie or something)...I remember Pop Rouge being very popular (it was like a very carbonated strawberry soda)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/04/04 at 11:47 am

How about Like Cola?  It tasted exactly like Pepsi to me.  No originality.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/04/04 at 11:51 am

Anyone remember Hubba Bubba bubble gum flavor soda?  It tasted like arse. :P

Written By: conker on 06/04/04 at 12:46 pm

New York Seltzer anyone?  It was very big for a year or so...vanilla was great as was clear root beer.

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/04/04 at 12:55 pm

Vaguely.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/04/04 at 2:12 pm

I remember the name, but I never had it.

Anyone remember a soda called Aspen?  I think it was apple flavored or something like that.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/04 at 2:24 pm

I still have a can of 7-Up Gold and Diet 7-Up Gold....how about this:

http://www.usasoda.com/images/ccramblin2.JPG

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/04/04 at 2:31 pm

That looks cool!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/04 at 2:39 pm

That looks cool!
The 10 oz. glass bottle I still have looks even cooler :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/04 at 2:41 pm

The big thing now is energy drinks...but before Red Bull and Venom there was....JOLT!

http://www.colawp.com/colas/0/cola12.jpg

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/04/04 at 2:48 pm

The big thing now is energy drinks...but before Red Bull and Venom there was....JOLT!

http://www.colawp.com/colas/0/cola12.jpg

I remember them talking about Jolt Cola on I Love the 80's Strikes Back and they showed an old commercial for it.

What did 7-Up Gold taste like? I remember hearing it described back when it came out around 1987 as having sort of a cinnamony flavor, but it just didn't look very appealing to me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/04 at 3:14 pm

I remember them talking about Jolt Cola on I Love the 80's Strikes Back and they showed an old commercial for it.

What did 7-Up Gold taste like? I remember hearing it described back when it came out around 1987 as having sort of a cinnamony flavor, but it just didn't look very appealing to me.
It was cinnamony Gross :P

Written By: AL-B on 06/04/04 at 6:29 pm

I remember back around the late 70's/early 80's the 7up Company came out with a lemonade-type soda called "Quirst." But the company that made "Squirt" sued them because the name was too similar and they won, so 7up had to take Quirst off the market. 
(Which is too bad, because I remember drinking a Quirst and I liked it.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/04 at 7:08 pm

They still make Jolt.  It is hard to find but you can get it if you know where to look.  ???

I remember one morning at work, I guzzled TWO CANS of Jolt Cola, and six of those white-powdered-sugar donuts.

I was flying higher than a kite  :o with all that sugar and caffeine in me.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/04/04 at 7:45 pm

here is a list of all the colas and when they were on the shelves:

Teem– lemon-lime drink (1959)
Patio– different flavored drinks (1960)
Mountain Dew– (1964)
Sugar Free Teem– (1964)
Devil Shake– a chocolate drink (1966) *short lived
Tropic Surf– clear diet citrus drink (1967) *short lived
Pepsi Snowball– frozen sippin’ ice (1967) *short lived
Skandi– lemon diet cola (1967) *experimental
Sugar Free Mountain Dew– (mid 1970’s) *experimental
Pepsi Light– Diet Pepsi w/ a twist of lemon (1976)
On-Tap Root Beer–  (1977) *experimental
Aspen– clear soda “with a snap of apple” (1978)
Pepsi free– caffeine free Pepsi (1981)
Sugar Free Pepsi Free– sugar & caffeine free Pepsi
Lemon Lime Slice– (1984)
Diet Lemon Lime Slice– (1984)
Mandarin Orange Slice– (1986)
Diet Mandarin Orange Slice– (1986)
Apple Slice– (1986)
Diet Apple Slice– (1986)
Cherry Cola Slice– (1986)
Diet Cherry Cola Slice– (1986)
Mug Root Beer– (1986)
Diet Mug Root Beer– (1986)
Diet Mountain Dew– (1987)
Pepsi A.M.– Pepsi for in the morning w/ more caffeine (1987) *unsuccessful
Diet Pepsi A.M.– Pepsi for in the morning w/ more caffeine (1987) *unsuccessful
Jake’s Diet Cola– (1987) *experimental
Wild Cherry Pepsi– cherry Pepsi (1988)
Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi– cherry Pepsi (1988)
Mountain Dew Red– (1988)
Diet Mountain Dew Red– (1988)
Caffeine free Pepsi– changed from Pepsi Free (1988)
Caffeine free Diet Pepsi– changed from Diet Pepsi Free (1988)
Mountain Dew Sport– (1989) *short lived
Diet Mountain Dew Sport– only 2 calories (1989) *short lived
H2OH– a line of flavored drinks (1989)
Mug Cream Soda– (1989)
Diet Mug Cream Soda– (1989)
Raging Raspberry Pepsi– “wild ones” (1991)
Diet Raging Raspberry Pepsi– “wild ones” (1991)
Strawberry Burst Pepsi– not sure if diet, “wild ones” (1991)
Tropical Chill Pepsi– “wild ones” (1991)
Diet Tropical Chill Pepsi- “wild ones” (1991)
Crystal Pepsi– clear cola (1992) *short lived
Diet Crystal Pepsi– clear cola (1992) *short lived
Grape Slice– (1992)
Strawberry Slice– (1992)
Pineapple Slice– (1993)
Caffeine Free Mountain Dew– (1994)
Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dew– (1994)
Aquafina– Pepsi joined in w/ them (1994)
Crystal...from the makers of Pepsi– (1994) *very short lived
Pepsi XL– less sugar (1995) *experimental
Josta– made with guarana berries, lots of caffeine (1995-99)
Pepsi Kona Coffee Cola– Pepsi & coffee (1996) *experimental
Diet Pepsi Kona Coffee Cola– Pepsi & coffee (1996) *experimental
Storm– lemon line drink w/ caffeine, almost no after taste (1998)
Pepsi One– one calorie, designed to taste like Pepsi (1998)
Light Storm– diet version of Storm (1999)

Howard   

Written By: Howard on 06/04/04 at 7:46 pm

They still make Jolt.  It is hard to find but you can get it if you know where to look.  ???

I remember one morning at work, I guzzled TWO CANS of Jolt Cola, and six of those white-powdered-sugar donuts.

You gotta calm down with the sugar,LB.you're too hyper. ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/04 at 9:34 pm

Well then, LyricBoy, I assume you remember "Surge"  ;)

http://www.usasoda.com/images/ccsurge3.JPG

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/04/04 at 9:50 pm

Does anyone know whatever happened to KICK?  Or if and where it is still available?  I think it was made by the Royal Crown Company.  That was my absolute favorite pop and I drank it all the time through the 90s, possibly in the late 80s too.  I know I still drank it in 1998, but I dont think it was available much longer than that.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/04/04 at 10:49 pm

Does anyone know whatever happened to KICK?  Or if and where it is still available?  I think it was made by the Royal Crown Company.  That was my absolute favorite pop and I drank it all the time through the 90s, possibly in the late 80s too.  I know I still drank it in 1998, but I dont think it was available much longer than that.
I honestly don't remember that one wagonman76...sorry...I googled it and had no luck :-\\

Written By: saver on 06/05/04 at 1:34 am

Wow..nice list Howard but...not included was "Wink"..on the East Coast it was like "Squirt"....(also if you're anywhere near NYC a popular 1/2 soda called an Egg Cream is popular-)-someone devloped a "bottled" egg cream that didn't seem to have as good aof taste- probably because of the ingrediets to make it last and stay bubbly.

Other sodas may be found on a site for Dr. Soda in LA...I now can find a Boston old time favorite called Moxie and "Frostie" root beer-not from the 80's but the Steve's Egg Cream Soda was.

mmmm.

Saver :D

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 06/05/04 at 7:38 am

Get ready for the next Coke.  It's called C2 and has 1/2 the carbs and sugars of regular Coke.  I have a can at the house and will be taking a taste test today.  Maybe I'll take a picture of it and post it along with the taste test results.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/04 at 10:16 am

Get ready for the next Coke.  It's called C2 and has 1/2 the carbs and sugars of regular Coke.  I have a can at the house and will be taking a taste test today.  Maybe I'll take a picture of it and post it along with the taste test results.

Another Coke? What is wrong with these people? C2

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/04 at 7:45 pm

I remember back around the late 70's/early 80's the 7up Company came out with a lemonade-type soda called "Quirst." But the company that made "Squirt" sued them because the name was too similar and they won, so 7up had to take Quirst off the market. 
(Which is too bad, because I remember drinking a Quirst and I liked it.)

I remember drinking "Squirt."  ICK!  I thought "Clearly Canadian" was sickly sweet.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/05/04 at 8:17 pm

Wow..nice list Howard but...not included was "Wink"..on the East Coast it was like "Squirt"....(also if you're anywhere near NYC a popular 1/2 soda called an Egg Cream is popular-)-someone devloped a "bottled" egg cream that didn't seem to have as good aof taste- probably because of the ingrediets to make it last and stay bubbly.

Other sodas may be found on a site for Dr. Soda in LA...I now can find a Boston old time favorite called Moxie and "Frostie" root beer-not from the 80's but the Steve's Egg Cream Soda was.

mmmm.

Saver :D

I remember Wink & Frostie root beer was awesome!!!

Anyone remember those chocolate flavored sodas?  Nasty!!!  Or how about Faygo?  I loooved Faygo Frosh! 

Tab was the nastiest soda hands down :P

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/05/04 at 8:55 pm

They still sell Tab :o Godawful soda right up there wit New Coke!

Fer sure!  Another awful invention was that nasty Blue Pepsi (I know it was like a few years ago) that crap tasted like Windex :-X

Written By: Harmonica on 06/05/04 at 10:37 pm

Pepsi free– caffeine free Pepsi (1981)

I don't even remember it, it's just that Marty McFly ask for it in Back to the Future and Mr. Curothers say's to him " you want a Pepsi pal your gonna pay for it."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/04 at 11:48 pm

Fer sure!  Another awful invention was that nasty Blue Pepsi (I know it was like a few years ago) that crap tasted like Windex :-X

Prolly was Windex!
:P

Written By: Sentimentalist on 06/06/04 at 5:40 am

How 'bout Orbits, the clear drink with the gummie spheres suspended in it?
God lyk!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/06/04 at 1:43 pm

I remember Frostie root beer was awesome!!!

I bought a six-pack of it last year at Wal-Mart....not the same anymore :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/06/04 at 1:59 pm

I mean,where do these companies find the names for the sodas such as:

Code Red
Blue Pepsi
DnL

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/07/04 at 7:31 am

They're supposed to have a low-carb version of Pepsi coming out too, but I can't think of what it's called at the moment.

Written By: DaChazman on 06/07/04 at 9:12 am

Yep, Jolt's still around and here's their website:

http://www.joltcola.com

Written By: Kryllith on 06/07/04 at 9:14 am

I actually liked Like cola. Don't know about it tasting like Pepsi, but I never cared for the taste of it while I did like the former, so I guess there might have been some difference. Only Pepsi I think I ever liked was the one that had the twist of lemon in it.

Btw, I know this off topic, but does anyone remember Jumpin' Jack Cheese Doritos? Seems to me only people in California (and maybe AZ/NV) seemed to acknowledge it's existance. Miss those. :(

Kryllith

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/07/04 at 9:16 am

I think I vaguely remember Jumpin Jack Cheese Doritos and I'm from the Midwest - never tried 'em though.

Written By: Kryllith on 06/07/04 at 9:30 am

That's cool. It seems everyone I've talked to in the Midwest (I'm in Oklahoma currently) has never heard of them. Went for quite some time figuring it was just a west coast thing. Nice to know it actually got further along that I thought.

Kryllith

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/07/04 at 11:59 am

I mean,where do these companies find the names for the sodas such as:

DnL

Howard

dnL is just the 7up logo turned upside down.  I tried it once and dont really like it.  It tastes like Mt Dew thats been sitting around for a really long time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/04 at 12:55 pm

I have a cousin who has one of the largest (if not the largest) Mountain Dew Memorabilia collections going.

He's got all the stuff, going back to when independent bottlers franchised the name and they had the old "Hillbilly with a Jug" marketing theme.  He even got to meet with the two guys who "invented" Mountain Dew.

Cool.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/04 at 12:58 pm

You gotta calm down with the sugar,LB.you're too hyper. ;D

Howard

Well Howard, I now have to lay off the colas, because caffiene (actually withdrawal from it) gives me these massive headaches.  So I can only have a Coke® maybe once every two weeks or so.  :\'(

And those caffiene-free Coke® products just don't do it for me.  >:(  I ought to post that on the "What drives you nuts" thread!

LB

Written By: Howard on 06/07/04 at 7:53 pm

They're supposed to have a low-carb version of Pepsi coming out too, but I can't think of what it's called at the moment.

It should be called P2.now that name isn't very drinkable. :P ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 06/07/04 at 7:55 pm

Well Howard, I now have to lay off the colas, because caffiene (actually withdrawal from it) gives me these massive headaches.  So I can only have a Coke® maybe once every two weeks or so.  :\'(

And those caffiene-free Coke® products just don't do it for me.  >:(  I ought to post that on the "What drives you nuts" thread!

LB

Why don't you just drink water,man? It will cleanse out your liver.I mean why drink cola and coffee? ???

Howard

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 06/08/04 at 8:57 am

I remember a soda called "Old Chicago".  These came in a variety of flavors in 3 liter bottles at a cheap price.  This was from the early/mid 90's; don't know if it's still around.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/08/04 at 9:10 am

Anybody remember Shasta? Do they still make that stuff? 

Written By: duranchick on 06/08/04 at 1:19 pm

I still see Shasta but only fruit flavors and ginger ale.  Did they every make regular cola?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/04 at 2:06 pm

Why don't you just drink water,man? It will cleanse out your liver.I mean why drink cola and coffee? ???

Howard

Howard,

Why do I like to drink Coke? Because it tastes good.  :P :P

Plus Coke is always associated with good times, going out to the ball game with Dad and so on.  Soo there is this big psychological thing too.

Also I like the "kick" that the caffeine gives.  But no more... the headaches are more bad than the caffeine buzz is "good".  So I only do a coke once every 2 weeks or so.  Major, MAJOR bummer.  :\'(

Maybe if they come up with a "Diet Caffeine Free C2 with Lemon" I will give it a shot.  :D

LB

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/08/04 at 2:12 pm

I still see Shasta but only fruit flavors and ginger ale.  Did they every make regular cola?

You know, I don't remember, I always thought it was diet because that's all I ever saw in my local stores.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/04 at 4:55 pm

Howard,

Why do I like to drink Coke? Because it tastes good.  :P :P

Plus Coke is always associated with good times, going out to the ball game with Dad and so on.  Soo there is this big psychological thing too.

Also I like the "kick" that the caffeine gives.  But no more... the headaches are more bad than the caffeine buzz is "good".  So I only do a coke once every 2 weeks or so.  Major, MAJOR bummer.  :\'(

Maybe if they come up with a "Diet Caffeine Free C2 with Lemon" I will give it a shot.  :D

LB

I still say that water is good for you,especially on severe hot days in July Or August when temperatures get into the low 90's! :P

Howard

Written By: gemini61 on 06/08/04 at 5:17 pm

I remember Chocola and Yoohoo. Dad always had one of those wooden cases of little bottles of Chocola and Coke in the refridgerator out in the garage. But it was only for a treat, we were never allowed to just grab a pop out of the fridge unless we asked first. (I'm talking 60s and early 70s). So when we did get one, it was always too cool!!  8) I wonder if they still make Chocola, anybody know?

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 06/16/04 at 12:36 am

I saw it at Osco Drug last weekend, it's called Pepsi Edge.  I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/16/04 at 7:29 am

I saw the new low-carb Coke at the grocery store this weekend, C2, and bought a 20-ounce bottle - to me, it tastes the same as regular Coke. Though I have to stick with mostly diet soda for right now, once I can start upping my carbs I might start drinking it from time to time. I'd like to try low-carb Pepsi too.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/16/04 at 1:57 pm

Anybody ever heard of Budwine or Cheerwine? They were sold in the Southeast US primarily. Both of them had some kind of cherry taste, but it was more sour than like say Cherry Coke.

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/16/04 at 2:04 pm

Anybody ever heard of Budwine or Cheerwine? They were sold in the Southeast US primarily. Both of them had some kind of cherry taste, but it was more sour than like say Cherry Coke.

Cheerwine is HQ'd In NC...I want to say in Salisbury.  Interesting flavor of soda.

Never heard of Budwine.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/04 at 5:48 pm

I saw it at Osco Drug last weekend, it's called Pepsi Edge.  I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

Now,Pepsi Edge & C2? Must be sodas of the future. ::)

Howard

Written By: namilliron on 06/16/04 at 6:18 pm

HOw about Slim-King cola?  This was advertised on a 1970s HOLLYWOOD SQUARES that ran on GSN a few years ago during a Secret Square prize package (SS was Robert Hedgys of WELCOME BACK KOTTER fame int he middle right).

Written By: saver on 06/16/04 at 7:16 pm

Whoa! Another Chocola lover!

I haven't seen it since the 70's BUT....When visiting Virginia found a similar set of drinks called Chocolate Soldier or Chocolate Brownie that were distributed from Nesbitt in Georgia or another NJ company that makes Yoo-hoo from what I recall on the label.

If you really crave it you might be able to look them up...

In Ca. (in the 99 cents only store), they
have recently sold something close but a little watery called SWERVE from the Coca Cola company. If it was the end of their stock or a sample run you might find it by calling Coke.

;D 

Written By: gemini61 on 06/16/04 at 9:10 pm

Whoa! Another Chocola lover!

I haven't seen it since the 70's BUT....When visiting Virginia found a similar set of drinks called Chocolate Soldier or Chocolate Brownie that were distributed from Nesbitt in Georgia or another NJ company that makes Yoo-hoo from what I recall on the label.

If you really crave it you might be able to look them up...

In Ca. (in the 99 cents only store), they
have recently sold something close but a little watery called SWERVE from the Coca Cola company. If it was the end of their stock or a sample run you might find it by calling Coke.

;D 
Thanks alot!! I'll check it out! :)

Written By: pell on 06/17/04 at 12:52 pm

I remember Wink & Frostie root beer was awesome!!!

Anyone remember those chocolate flavored sodas?  Nasty!!!  Or how about Faygo?  I loooved Faygo Frosh! 

Tab was the nastiest soda hands down :P

I thought I remembered Faygo so I Googled it. Not only do they still make it, check out http://www.faygo.com and look at their history. They started calling their drink "pop" in the 1920s. They are probably the reason we call sodas "pop" or "soda pop" (well, not where I'm from, but some people do).

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/17/04 at 1:04 pm

They sold King Cola and Slim-King Cola that at Steak 'N' Shake in the 80s, probably the only restaurant in the world that had that on the menu. It was Okay, but S 'n' S soon switched to Coke. Bummer. :(
HOw about Slim-King cola?  This was advertised on a 1970s HOLLYWOOD SQUARES that ran on GSN a few years ago during a Secret Square prize package (SS was Robert Hedgys of WELCOME BACK KOTTER fame int he middle right).

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/04 at 4:25 pm

Anybody here remember Ho-Jo Cola that was sold by the Howard-Johnson Restaurant Chain?  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/17/04 at 6:30 pm

Anyone remember the "Clear Colas" of the 1980's?

Howard

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/17/04 at 6:33 pm

Howard

I remember Crystal Pepsi coming out in 1992...

Written By: Howard on 06/17/04 at 6:36 pm

I remember Crystal Pepsi coming out in 1992...

Yeah,that was the most awful soda I ever drank. :P

Can you still buy them online after 12 years off the shelf? ???

Howard

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/17/04 at 6:49 pm

Can you still buy them online after 12 years off the shelf? ???

Howard

Looks like you can get some off eBay if you're really jonesing for some.  ;) :)

Written By: Howard on 06/17/04 at 7:12 pm

Looks like you can get some off eBay if you're really jonesing for some.

I haven't had some in such a long time,I forgot what one tasted like.

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/04 at 7:14 pm

Howard

That stuff was NASTY tasting.  :P

Written By: pell on 06/18/04 at 12:15 am

I tried Coke C2 today. I tasted it before I read the label and thought "This takes like half Coke, half Diet Coke." And that's what it is. It has half the sugar of Coke plus the artificial sweetener they put in Diet Coke. I guess they thought they'd try to please the dieters who don't like the taste of Diet Coke by putting back a little more sugar (since a lot of people don't seem to go for the "Lime" or "Lemon" versions of Diet Coke they put out recently).

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 06/18/04 at 7:00 am

I tried Coke C2 today. I tasted it before I read the label and thought "This takes like half Coke, half Diet Coke." And that's what it is. It has half the sugar of Coke plus the artificial sweetener they put in Diet Coke. I guess they thought they'd try to please the dieters who don't like the taste of Diet Coke by putting back a little more sugar (since a lot of people don't seem to go for the "Lime" or "Lemon" versions of Diet Coke they put out recently).

Yea, It starts out tasting like Coke, but the after taste is like a diet soda.  I've gotten used to diet coke, so I'll stick with it.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/04 at 5:18 pm

Does anyone remember Apple Slice? ;D

Howard

Written By: mr.smith s on 06/19/04 at 6:14 pm

That looks like a fun drink.  It somehow makes me think of 'Slurm' on Futurama

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/04 at 8:48 am

Don't forget the incomparable Tab...

http://www.usasoda.com/images/cctab14.JPG

Written By: Howard on 06/20/04 at 11:02 am

Don't forget the incomparable Tab...

http://www.usasoda.com/images/cctab14.JPG

Tab was garbage.I never really cared for the soda.It had an aftertaste. :P :D

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/04 at 12:59 pm

Tab was garbage.I never really cared for the soda.It had an aftertaste. :P :D

Howard

Granted, Tab is an acquired taste, only appreciated by those of us that have a discriminating palate.

LB

:P ;D

Written By: TimKramar on 06/20/04 at 11:05 pm

Here we go!

I remember Pepsi Clear, Pepsi One, RC100, Tab (which I don't think they make anymore, so that's why I included it), and a somewhat strange thing I remember being called Orbits, or something like that. Had all these little frigging balls floating around in it.

Now they're coming around with lower carb sodas...Pepsi Edge and C2.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/04 at 8:58 pm

Now they're coming around with lower carb sodas...Pepsi Edge and C2.

I wonder how good that will taste? ???

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/04 at 9:15 pm

Here we go!

I remember Pepsi Clear, Pepsi One, RC100, Tab (which I don't think they make anymore, so that's why I included it), and a somewhat strange thing I remember being called Orbits, or something like that. Had all these little frigging balls floating around in it.

That would be a great marketing scheme Frigging Balls Soda...
:-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/04 at 4:48 am

I just remember the OBNOXIOUS commercial with the penguins singing I want a POP POP!  I want a Shasta!

Written By: Sentimentalist on 06/23/04 at 6:02 pm

Has anyone ever drank a "Can full o' Worms?"  I used to love the stuff.  Especially the removable pop top.
God lyk!

Written By: Howard on 06/23/04 at 6:23 pm

Has anyone ever drank a "Can full o' Worms?"  I used to love the stuff.  Especially the removable pop top.

You must be joking? They sold a soda that a name like that? :P

*vomits* :P

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/04 at 9:00 pm

You must be joking? They sold a soda that a name like that? :P

*vomits* :P

Howard

In Japan one of the popular drinks is called Pocari Sweat.  ???

I never tried it though.

LB

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/04 at 9:34 pm

In Japan one of the popular drinks is called Pocari Sweat.  ???

I never tried it though.

LB

What does "Pocari" mean, and do I want to know?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/04 at 9:45 am

What does "Pocari" mean, and do I want to know?

I think Pocari is the brand name.  ???

Either that, or there is a REALLY sweaty sumo wrestler named Pocari.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/24/04 at 5:15 pm

In Japan one of the popular drinks is called Pocari Sweat.

yeah,I betcha it even tastes like sweat.  :P

Howard

Written By: Sentimentalist on 06/24/04 at 5:43 pm

Can full o' worms, it tasted like a better version of doctor pepper.  On the label there was a guy with a fishing pole sitting at a fishin' hole with a couple of can full o' worms cans with worms in 'em.  The good olde days.  Remember when Welch's grape soda had the 2 button opening?
God lyk!

Written By: Atari on 06/26/04 at 12:14 am

Shasta is still around. All of the Admiral convenience stores around here sell it in all kidns of flavors, including cola.

Back in the early 80s, there was a Michigan (I think they were exclusive here anyway) company that sold a line of sodas in all kinds of different flavors. it was called Towne Club. Some of the flavors were really weird, like Chocolate Vanilla and Chocolate Orange. The cool thing about these pops were that they came in crates of 24 bottles and the price was pretty cheap. When my mom remarried in 1978, they bought stock in Towne Club and I drank my little 8 year old ass off :)

They disappeared around 1982-83 or so. Shame.

Written By: LBTheDawg on 07/25/04 at 9:07 pm

Was in a dollar store in Waterford today.

They had Faygo, Orange Crush and .... Towne Club pop in the cooler.

All of it in glass bottles with the brands and flavors painted on the bottles.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 10:50 pm

New York Seltzer anyone?  It was very big for a year or so...vanilla was great as was clear root beer.

I remember. It had different flavors. They came in miniature bottles, right?

Is Shasta still around?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 10:53 pm

Sorry, I responded before I read the whole thread!

Tanya  :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...