inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Broken Wings....a Cheezy song according to VH1

Written By: I_love_Miami_Vice on 06/06/04 at 10:59 am

>:(I am too upset! Last night I was watching VH1 and they had a program wherein they were criticizing the worst songs of 1980, and they had the guts to put the music video of that song, and claim that it was  CHEEZY song and that the singer, Mister Mister, was out of tune completely,....can you believe such a stupidity? Broken WIngs was a BEAUTIFUL Classic of 1980, it is featured in the famous game Vice City, and everybody i know considers that one of the best, beautiful songs of the 1980's...whoever prepared that program was the one that was COMPLETELY OUT OF WHACK! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Subject: Re: Broken Wings....a Cheezy song according to VH1

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/06/04 at 11:44 am

To each his own.  :)  I happen to agree that it IS a cheezy song & I'm a big fan of Vice City as well.  But that's just my opinion, just like it was the opinions of the people of VH1. ;)  Don't get too bent out of shape about it, I'm sure there are others who feel the same way you do.

Written By: zcrito on 06/06/04 at 4:10 pm

Mr. Mister.  :(

Their 1986, "Kyrie" wasn't too bad. I liked that one.

;) ;D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/06/04 at 4:25 pm

I like Mr. Mister.

Written By: Lanie on 06/06/04 at 8:00 pm

I like Mr. Mister.

Same here. I still love "Broken Wings" to this day.  8)

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/06/04 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, I saw the show too. VH1 must be crazy, Broken Wings is a classic song of the 80's.

What I noticed that although I agree a lot of the songs they chose as being "bad" or cheesy, they were VERY POPULAR a the time of their release.

So at some time someone thought they were "the bomb" or "the Jam" at the time...and certainly VH1/MTV played, promoted & played the heck of these songs/videos then.

Just seems a little hypocritcal for them to turn around and rip on these tunes now...they and we were so quick to kiss up to the artists and their "bad" tunes not to long ago.

I used to work at a record store and remember people BEGGING for that "Ice, ice baby tune", then coming back months later to crack on Vanilla Ice as being wack. ::)  Same people who bought every single of Milli Vanilli, claiming they were the best ever...

Written By: I_love_Miami_Vice on 06/06/04 at 9:48 pm

:DI could not agree with you more, I actually loved all those 80's hits, maybe a couple I did not care for, but I believe most of the 1980's decade had the finest hits and a BIG change in the type of music that had been around before, I like each decade's music, I believe the 70's had also
great musicians, but I absolutely prefer the 80's decade.VH1 really goofed there, and I am going to make sure at least that they know about it. :-X

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/07/04 at 7:35 am

There were a number of songs on VH1's Worst list that I actually liked.  I don't put much stock in their "lists" anymore.  Seems they are the opinion of the person writing it.

Written By: Kryllith on 06/07/04 at 9:07 am

I like how all their choices for worst song... ever... were songs that were all top 40 (or at least top 100) hits. No songs that were not played on the radio. Seems the need to change their title to "Worst Songs... ever... which actually got airtime and people bought into, rather than the worst songs ever ever because that would require us to listen to every song ever made and frankly, we suck and want you to suck like us"

Kryllith

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/03/04 at 4:18 am

I would NEVER say that Broken Wings was cheesy..there were FAR cheesier songs out there than that one..is there a list of all of the songs that were picked please, I'd like to see what else was on there...

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/03/04 at 7:59 am

Broken WIngs was a BEAUTIFUL Classic of 1980, it is featured in the famous game Vice City, and everybody i know considers that one of the best, beautiful songs of the 1980's...

I agree. I think the is beautiful. That people on vh1 don't know what their talking about.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/03/04 at 9:10 am

First MTV turned horrible....then VH1 got stupid....I prefer VH1 Classic!

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/03/04 at 3:17 pm

I used to love VH1, but I watch VH1 classics more now, unless they have 80's years on that I like...

Written By: Howard on 11/03/04 at 7:30 pm

you got that right Mark! :)

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 11/03/04 at 11:51 pm

I remember when VH1 first came on. Its sole purpose was to show videos (by certain people) that MTV wouldn't show. It was sort of music videos for the over 30 crowd.

After their first year they selected a best song or video of the year and believe it or not Air Supply won.  :o

They're going after younger viewers and have been doing so for awhile now. Which explains some of the odd shows that having been showing up. 

:)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/04/04 at 12:09 am

The song has nostalgic cheesiness to it. You liked it (as I did) when it first came out, but then as you grow, you wince or laugh when you hear it. It happens.

Tanya

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/04/04 at 1:43 am

i like the song..no cheese involved for this girl  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/04 at 11:23 am

It's one of my favorite songs, I think that there are songs out there that are way more chessier than Broken Wings.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/04 at 7:45 pm

I remember when VH1 first came on. Its sole purpose was to show videos (by certain people) that MTV wouldn't show. It was sort of music videos for the over 30 crowd.

After their first year they selected a best song or video of the year and believe it or not Air Supply won.  :o

They're going after younger viewers and have been doing so for awhile now. Which explains some of the odd shows that having been showing up. 

:)

Well zcrito VH1 is catering to the young teens now instead of us older people.That's why you have VH1 Classic to watch. :)

Howard

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/04/04 at 10:55 pm

I like the song but it has always been overplayed, even to this day.  I still hear it several times a day on the lite station.  I like their song Kyrie a lot better.

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/05/04 at 4:37 am

What does kyrie eleison (sorry I can't spell it!!!) mean anyway, what language is it please...I used to sing kyrie I laze on....but then I was only 8..

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/05/04 at 7:55 am

It's Greek. It means "God have mercy".

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/05/04 at 9:53 am

Really?...Thanks for that..I only just discovered the lyrics recently on am I right....then wondered what the heck it meant..thank you.....p.s what is the moomin toy 'mr fluffy' that you have in your avatar please?

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/05/04 at 12:00 pm

Hmm never woulda guessed.  I thought it was a girls name.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/04 at 2:36 pm

I always wondered if Mr.Mister had any other his besides Kyrie & Broken Wings? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 11/05/04 at 10:41 pm

Well zcrito VH1 is catering to the young teens now instead of us older people.That's why you have VH1 Classic to watch. :)

Howard

And compilation music video DVDs.

Plus, MTV2 for those who aren't into the teen pop & hip hop like myself. (Don't have VH1 Classic  for '80's videos. :P)

But since 2002, it's going downhill slowly with more rap videos, less or no classics, repeats of "Jack***", and specials.

The only good stuff shown are "Beavis & Butt-Head", "MTV2 Rock"/"Subterrean" (Minus most pop punk & numetal bands), and "Greatest Hits", usually on bands that are still "hip" like Green Day & The Beastie Boys. Couldn't they atleast have "Best of the '90's" hour or something for videos that are hardly seen today. ("MTV2  Top 20 Rock Countdown" airs a 'rewind video' from the '90's or 2000's  every week. Which I think would be better if MTV2 had an hour of '90's videos and bring back "Old School Hip Hop", which was canned early this year.) 

What is the MTV/VH1 audience now?

MTV...
I know it's nolonger 13 to 25 since most of the show appeal to tweens like "T.R.L.".

Where's the variety?!?  MTV stopped being cool in 1997, when the current teen pop scene exploded & the overload of rap.  :P

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/06/04 at 6:14 am

p.s what is the moomin toy 'mr fluffy' that you have in your avatar please?

It's actually a "kodama". It's a Japanese forest spirit, as seen in the animated movie Princess Mononoke. When you shake it, it rattles, just like the sound they make in the movie :)

Written By: Howard on 11/06/04 at 9:03 pm

And compilation music video DVDs.

Plus, MTV2 for those who aren't into the teen pop & hip hop like myself. (Don't have VH1 Classic  for '80's videos. :P)

But since 2002, it's going downhill slowly with more rap videos, less or no classics, repeats of "Jack***", and specials.

The only good stuff shown are "Beavis & Butt-Head", "MTV2 Rock"/"Subterrean" (Minus most pop punk & numetal bands), and "Greatest Hits", usually on bands that are still "hip" like Green Day & The Beastie Boys. Couldn't they atleast have "Best of the '90's" hour or something for videos that are hardly seen today. ("MTV2  Top 20 Rock Countdown" airs a 'rewind video' from the '90's or 2000's  every week. Which I think would be better if MTV2 had an hour of '90's videos and bring back "Old School Hip Hop", which was canned early this year.) 

What is the MTV/VH1 audience now?

MTV...
I know it's nolonger 13 to 25 since most of the show appeal to tweens like "T.R.L.".

Where's the variety?!?  MTV stopped being cool in 1997, when the current teen pop scene exploded & the overload of rap.  :P

And also "Road Rules". :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/07/04 at 2:35 pm

MTV is pretty much show orientated right now, which is why they have MTV2. At least Much Music (the version of MTV here in Canada) shows videos, we don't have VH1 currently, the closest to it we have is Much More Music.

Written By: KimberIndy on 11/07/04 at 3:52 pm

VH1 = velveeta in my book. I'll stick with Mtv2 and VH1 classics.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/01/06 at 1:42 pm

I like Mr. Mister.

Yeah they had some great stuff out in the 80's.

Come back Mr Mister    ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 2:02 pm

The folks at Vh-1 are idiots.  Broken Wings is an awesome song. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 2:04 pm

VH1 no nothing about music!

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 2:06 pm

VH1 no nothing about music!

It appears they do not

"Vh-1 - Music First"  Yeah right ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 2:09 pm

It appears they do not

"Vh-1 - Music First"  Yeah right ;D
Recent VH1 had a chart for Best Air Guitar Video, I ask you?

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 2:11 pm

Recent VH1 had a chart for Best Air Guitar Video, I ask you?

Air Guitar video?  OMG how lame lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 2:12 pm

Just an excuse to replay classic pop videos. I have no idea what was number 1.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/01/06 at 2:17 pm

;D  I play great air drums

you got the little logger guy animation back   :)

Mr Mister - Broken Wings is a great record

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 2:43 pm

Over the last few weeks it has been the best and worse of Football song videos.

Written By: lizjagger on 07/02/06 at 8:38 pm

VH1, MTV, and the lot, they don't know what music is. Sure 'Broken Wings' may be a little cheesy, but it's still a good song, and besides that there were songs that I can think of that are 10 times worse.

I don't watch VH1(but sometimes I watch VH1 classic) or MTV/MTV2 anyway. Those two channels as "music channels" are a complete joke.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 8:39 pm

The song is cheesy.  Have you read the lyrics?  They sound like something a guy would tell you when he's got you tied to the chair with tape over your mouth and a nail gun to your head.

Written By: lizjagger on 07/02/06 at 8:48 pm

The song is cheesy.  Have you read the lyrics?  They sound like something a guy would tell you when he's got you tied to the chair with tape over your mouth and a nail gun to your head.

hahahahahaha. I never looked at it that way, but you're right.

'this time might be the last of fear unless I make it all too clear'
'your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole'

That's hilarious

Written By: Ed216 on 07/02/06 at 10:21 pm

I'm sorry, I sort of have to go with VH1 on this one. While I think Broken Wings does have beautiful lyrics, I do think it's kind of a cheesy song. It's the way that the guy is singing it, I think his delivery is, I don't know, annoying. I'm not sure why, but I can't stand the way he sings the song! I change the station if I ever hear it on the radio. I think Kyrie is a great song though, so go figure.

Written By: MtOlivePickles on 07/03/06 at 9:24 pm

I have nothing to contribute, except that "Broken Wings" was the #1 song the week I was born. :P

Written By: Chasey on 07/11/06 at 9:12 am

Compared to other tunes, it isn't all that cheesy.  It's just a very typical likeable, catchy song from the 80's...but of course according to VH1 most 80's songs they can't accurately categorize is labelled 'cheese'. 

I think it's about time VH1's 21 year old music manager got replaced by someone who actually lived through the era....

Not really sure if VH1 promote songs they deem cheesy as bad songs, or not?  It does seem strange that the sister channel VH1 classic portrays 80's music in a totally different light. :-\\

Written By: BratPack on 07/12/06 at 3:23 pm

Cheesy or not, I love "Broken Wings"! In fact, I loved the whole "Welcome to the Real World" album.

Check for new replies or respond here...