inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ribbon Barretts

Written By: deedar on 06/07/04 at 9:37 am

Does anyone know how to make the ribbon barretts? I used to make them all the time but can't remember how to start them. Thanks for your help.

Subject: Re: Ribbon Barretts

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 2:32 pm

Wow :)  I used to make those all the time when I was a kid.  I know how to do it, but I can't explain it in writing ;D  I'd have to show you :P

Written By: dawn on 09/18/04 at 9:48 pm

I am wondering how to start these also can someone please email me how???? 

Thanks,
Dawn

Written By: kadie on 09/18/04 at 9:56 pm

This is how we made them. You get the big barretts from a craft store like Michaels. Thne you curl the ribbon and super glue them to the top of the barett. Then you're done

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/18/04 at 10:19 pm

Sorry I don't know how to make those barettes, but was wondering if you were talking about the ones that were braided with 2 different colors and then had the remaining ribbon stream down?  I remember having a pair in turqoise and hot pink, but they were tricky to close.  I wore them with my hair parted in the center and maybe I had bangs too, but thought they looked better w/o bangs.

Written By: kairi747 on 11/08/04 at 9:37 am

I recently bought ribbon and barrettes to make those!  brings back fond memories of xanadu!!  i never thought there was a trick to starting them, but i may be wrong!  yep, the two colors looked braided, even though they just really criss-crossed, and the strings hung down.  were we chic or what?!  good luck!  i'll get back to you if i figure it out!  :)kairi

Written By: roboqueen on 11/08/04 at 11:43 am

Which style of ribbon barrets?
There were so many!

There were the ones that looked like a ribbon french braid with trails of ribbon coming off one end.
Then there were the ones where they'd weave the ribbon in & out of these plastic grid things in the shape of like rainbows & hearts & stuff like that.
There was also the ones made of curled mylar ribbon glued to a snap barret.
And the ones that were tons of loops of shiny ribbon in a giant bunch, almost like a flower.

There were even more, I'm sure.
They kinda started to go outta style for awhile when I got into the 9th grade.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 11/08/04 at 2:24 pm

Yes, I had several of them...and I made them like hysteric et vous mentioned...two different colored ribbons and I just braided them in and out of the barrette.  :)

Written By: penelope on 01/11/06 at 9:24 pm

instructions on making braided barretts, the kind that have extra ribbon hanging off the end:

http://www.wrights.com/class/kidscrafts/braidbarrett/braidbarrett.htm

Written By: spaceace on 01/19/06 at 1:40 pm

OMG I haven't thought of those in years.  I just trying to imagine myself making them, So I can figure it out again. (I had trouble making them the first time) :)

Check for new replies or respond here...