inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: banned music

Written By: mera on 06/10/04 at 10:50 am

During the mid-80's I lived in Houston.  There was a song out then (don't remember the name of it, of course) that was sung partly in English and partly in another language (possibly French), anyway the radio stations in Houston banned this song after a while stating it obscene.  Anyone remember this?

Subject: Re: banned music

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/10/04 at 12:09 pm

I don't know about it being banned, but alot of stuff by Enigma had french and english mixed together.

Written By: namilliron on 06/10/04 at 1:03 pm

During the mid-80's I lived in Houston.  There was a song out then (don't remember the name of it, of course) that was sung partly in English and partly in another language (possibly French), anyway the radio stations in Houston banned this song after a while stating it obscene.  Anyone remember this?

I know that RELAX by FGTH was banned by the BBC, but that was completely in English.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/12/04 at 2:38 am

Are you thinking of J'Taime ?  I am hungover and am having a complete blank spot but I have the single packed away somewhere.  It was a french guy who used an actual recording of English girlfriend during sex - it was banned in quite a few places.  Extremely sexy song.

Gimme a few hours till my brain is working better and I will remember his and her names.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/12/04 at 7:22 am

Is it "Up J'Taime" by Frankie Howerd & June Whitfield ???

Too bad DJMidas isn't here, he would know! :D

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 06/12/04 at 9:32 am

black 80's artists on racist mtv, and hiphop/rock remixes on radio.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/13/04 at 2:18 am

"French Kiss" by Lil' Louis? I call it the "orgasm song".

Written By: Howard on 06/13/04 at 11:42 am

"French Kiss" by Lil' Louis? I call it the "orgasm song".

or how about Donna Summer's" Love To Love You"?

Man,that song had so many orgasms in it.I read somewhere that she was told to put a fan under her dress to make those orgasmic moans.What are your thoughts on it?  ;D

Howard

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/15/04 at 9:51 pm

Too bad DJMidas isn't here, he would know! :D

You rang?  :D

I'm with Hairspray on this one.  I'm thinking "French Kiss" by Lil' Louis.  Very minimal French in that song but it does have the infamous orgasm sequence.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/04 at 9:59 pm

black 80's artists on racist mtv, and hiphop/rock remixes on radio.

Aw, MTV wasn't racist, they played Michael Jackson.  But, seriously, I agree MTV needed more racial diversity among its artists, I just wish that diversity didn't have to be in the form of "Yo MTV Raps!"  If your only exposure to African Americans was through MTV, you'd be terrified of them.  Some of the most racist stuff on MTV is in the form of hip-hop.

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/15/04 at 10:05 pm

My only other guess would be "Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi (Sex)" by D.A.F.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/16/04 at 3:16 pm

I'm with Hairspray on this one.  I'm thinking "French Kiss" by Lil' Louis.  Very minimal French in that song but it does have the infamous orgasm sequence.  ;)

Midas! Long time, no see. What brings you back? ?  :o :D Good to see ya', man. 8)

Written By: mera on 06/16/04 at 3:22 pm

Thanks everyone.  I've checked them all and listened to samples, but none sound like what I'm thinking.  Its more of a slow song and the guy has a nice sexy voice.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/16/04 at 3:31 pm

Guy with a slow sexy voice? The one guy that comes to mind right off the bat is Barry White. He's more of a 70's dude tho'. :-\\

Sorry we couldn't help.

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/16/04 at 4:48 pm

Midas! Long time, no see. What brings you back? ?  :o :D Good to see ya', man. 8)

A love of the 80's and Pepsi products.  ;D  Good to be back.  ;)  8)

Written By: Howard on 06/16/04 at 5:44 pm

I think the Donna Summer song "Dim All The Lights"was banned because it contained words that weren't meant for airplay & "Love To Love You Baby contained her sexual orgasmic moans. ;D

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 06/16/04 at 6:16 pm

There is only one song I know that fits that description and that is Youssou N' Dour and Neneh Cherry's hit '7 seconds'. I don't think that was provocative (I didn't care to listen to it as it was boring) - it's not even 80s either so there you go.  :-\\

I was thinking 'French Kiss' by Lil Louis as well, Hairspray. That song got me hot under the collar I must admit - I have the song on CD somewhere but rarely play it.  ;D

Do you have any more details Mera? It doesn't matter if you think they are insignificant. They may help.  :)

Written By: Marian on 06/16/04 at 8:10 pm

My only other guess would be "Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi (Sex)" by D.A.F.
8) 8)That's theI was thinking.Patti labelle recorded it."Voulez vous couchez avec moi means "Do you want to go to bed with me?"Cheers!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/16/04 at 9:02 pm

Yay!  :D  I'm so glad you are here! ;)

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/16/04 at 9:24 pm

Yay!  :D   I'm so glad you are here! ;)

Thanks girlie!  Me too!  :D

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 06/16/04 at 9:51 pm

"The World première of the video clip took place on March 02, 1983 on MTV.
The video clip is starring Michael Jackson.
For the first time in history of MTV, a music video told a story - and was not just a collage of images. "Billie Jean's" video made a big impression on the MTV audience and was a huge hit. It's also seen as a major breakthrough for black artists, who had previously been ignored by the channel. Michael Jackson was in fact the first black artist to be added the MTV's playlist!"

there was tons of great music by black artists before 1983.  mtv was founded in 1981.

Written By: mera on 06/17/04 at 10:03 am

Bobby:  "Do you have any more details Mera? It doesn't matter if you think they are insignificant. They may help. "

Yes, I did think of something else.  If memory serves (and even THAT is questionable!) the guy seems to talk in a low voice sometimes throughout the song.

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 06/17/04 at 5:46 pm

I'm from Houston and I don't remember any song being banned, but I wasn't big into radio songs back then anyway.  French Kiss didn't come out until 1989 and it was only played late night. Which radio stationed banned it?  I remember in the late 80's both 93Q and 104 would play some pretty raunchy songs and never beep anything out on their Friday and Saturday night shows.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/04 at 6:26 pm

8)That's theI was thinking.Patti labelle recorded it."Voulez vous couchez avec moi means "Do you want to go to bed with me?"Cheers!

Wow,I'd love to.warm up the blankey for me,will ya Marian! HAHA! ;D ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 06/17/04 at 6:27 pm

I also think that Madonna's,"Justify My Love" was banned from MTV & VH1 13 years ago cause it contained sexual situations.

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/12/04 at 1:02 am

Are you thinking of J'Taime ?  I am hungover and am having a complete blank spot but I have the single packed away somewhere.  It was a french guy who used an actual recording of English girlfriend during sex - it was banned in quite a few places.  Extremely sexy song.

Gimme a few hours till my brain is working better and I will remember his and her names.

Well that was a long few hours - make it 3 months !  But I finally remembered the full title of the song and the performers in case Mera wants to download it and see if its the song she was thinking of - its the only one that fits the description - guy talking low and sexy, sexy female sounds etc.

Je T'aime, Moi Non Plus.  Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/12/04 at 1:18 am

Well that was a long few hours - make it 3 months ! But I finally remembered the full title of the song and the performers in case Mera wants to download it and see if its the song she was thinking of - its the only one that fits the description - guy talking low and sexy, sexy female sounds etc.

Je T'aime, Moi Non Plus. Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin.

Do you remember a version by Abigail, BMGirl ?  I think it was the same song  ???

Written By: Howard on 09/12/04 at 9:41 am

Why was Donna Summer's song "Moi Non Plus" banned?

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/18/04 at 2:04 am

Do you remember a version by Abigail, BMGirl ?  I think it was the same song  ???

I do vaguely remember hearing she did a version - thankfully I have never heard it - I can only imagine it was a "quality" as her acting !!!!!!!!!!

Written By: mandamoo on 09/18/04 at 7:25 am

I do vaguely remember hearing she did a version - thankfully I have never heard it - I can only imagine it was a "quality" as her acting !!!!!!!!!!

It was pretty woeful, but I think it was popular amongst the menfolk ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/18/04 at 11:50 am

"The World première of the video clip took place on March 02, 1983 on MTV.
The video clip is starring Michael Jackson.
For the first time in history of MTV, a music video told a story - and was not just a collage of images. "Billie Jean's" video made a big impression on the MTV audience and was a huge hit. It's also seen as a major breakthrough for black artists, who had previously been ignored by the channel. Michael Jackson was in fact the first black artist to be added the MTV's playlist!"

there was tons of great music by black artists before 1983.  mtv was founded in 1981.

Prince's "Little Red Corvette" was the first video played on MTV by a black artist.

Tanya

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/06 at 9:42 pm

We had a very controversial song here in Canada ...

In 1980, the Canadian new wave group Rough Trade released a song called "High School Confidential".  It was a lesbian themed song with lyrics that were deemed explicit at the time.  Several radio stations refused to play it, while others played an edited version with some lyrics removed.  Regardless, it became a big hit, the first of many hits they would have

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/12/06 at 8:44 am

8)That's theI was thinking.Patti labelle recorded it."Voulez vous couchez avec moi means "Do you want to go to bed with me?"Cheers!

Wow,I'd love to.warm up the blankey for me,will ya Marian! HAHA! ;D ;)

Howard

Better known as the song from Moulin Rouge.  ;D

The video for it, scares the crap out of me.  ;D  I think it's Christina Aguerilla's poodle haircut.  ;D

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 9:34 am

I don't know that song but I came across several references to it while doing research on other stuff.  Do a search on Sex (I'm a...) or any other song with a real or simulated sexual sounds track and you should find it and inteviews with the artist, who seemed to think the others had ripped him off. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/12/06 at 10:04 pm

We had a very controversial song here in Canada ...

In 1980, the Canadian new wave group Rough Trade released a song called "High School Confidential".  It was a lesbian themed song with lyrics that were deemed explicit at the time.  Several radio stations refused to play it, while others played an edited version with some lyrics removed.  Regardless, it became a big hit, the first of many hits they would have

Funny part is that the lead singer's voice was deep enough that she coulda passed for male.  Not that it would have stopped people from wanting to censor it.

Funnier part is hearing Alphaville cover it 20 years later.

Funniest part, as always, will be remembering the DJ cutting the sound on the two lines he wasn't "allowed" to play him, only to hear an entire roller rink of kids scream "biatch", and "cream" at the top of their lungs :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/06 at 10:59 pm

Funny part is that the lead singer's voice was deep enough that she coulda passed for male.  Not that it would have stopped people from wanting to censor it.

Funnier part is hearing Alphaville cover it 20 years later.

Funniest part, as always, will be remembering the DJ cutting the sound on the two lines he wasn't "allowed" to play him, only to hear an entire roller rink of kids scream "biatch", and "cream" at the top of their lungs :)

I used to think it was a man that sung that song, but with a name like Carole Pope, I quickly realized I was wrong ;D

She even sort of looked like a man, yet on the cover of their 1983 album "Weapons", she appears topless and she had quite a nice rack :o

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/13/06 at 11:06 pm

There are 4 songs that come to mind:

"Lady Marmalade (Voulez-Vous...)"- LaBelle
"I Wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You"- Leon Hayward
"Je t'Aime, Moi Non Plus"- author unknown
"Chez Ho-Bang"-author unknown

Check for new replies or respond here...