inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Speaking of Reagan, Why wasn't he wearing a bullet-proof vest in 1981?

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 4:39 pm

When he was tragically shot, I bet after he recovered from the Gunshot wound, he wishes that he wore a bullet-proof vest.
He should have worn one, He probably did after he recovered

Subject: Re: Speaking of Reagan, Why wasn't he wearing a bullet-proof vest in 1981?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/04 at 10:19 pm

When he was tragically shot, I bet after he recovered from the Gunshot wound, he wishes that he wore a bullet-proof vest.
He should have worn one, He probably did after he recovered

Proper security precautions should obviate the need for the president to wear a bullet proof vest.  There were two attempts on President Jerry Ford.  Two women, Sarah Jane Moore, who missed, and Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, whose gun jammed (or was it the other way around?), six years later Hinckley's bullet came within centimeters of killing Reagan.  After the attempt on Reagan, security was re-strategised, re-vamped, and beefed up.  I think they succeeded.  No president had as much outright hatred directed toward him in modern times as Bill Clinton.  I thought for sure some wacko would try to assassinate him.  Some would argue better security prevented that, others would argue all the wackos were on Clinton's side anyway!
;D

Subject: Re: Speaking of Reagan, Why wasn't he wearing a bullet-proof vest in 1981?

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/10/04 at 10:28 pm

I didn't think President's even wear bulletproof vests ???  Unless of course Bush is visiting Iraq or something along those lines.  They shouldn't need them if the Secret Service is doing their jobs correctly..

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/04 at 4:36 am

I didn't think President's even wear bulletproof vests ???  Unless of course Bush is visiting Iraq or something along those lines.  They shouldn't need them if the Secret Service is doing their jobs correctly..

Since Reagan got popped in 1982, they ALL regularly wear Kevlar (or other technology) panels under their shirts when out in public.  But unless they wear a ceramic plate, a vest will not stop a high-powered rifle shot.  Vests typically are only good at stopping pistol rounds.

But John F. Kennedy is proof that a bulletproof vest will not stop someone who plans things out well enough.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/04 at 6:42 pm

His words were "Honey,I forgot to duck".

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/04 at 7:24 pm

His last words were "Honey,I forgot to duck".

Howard

His first words were "What the F-"

LB

;D

Written By: Howard on 06/11/04 at 7:26 pm

His first words were "What the F-"

LB

;D

president Reagan never used The F Word,Or did he? ;D

Howard

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 9:40 pm

I heard that his wife, and him, were very interested in astrology. I think it was more his wife, though.
For me, he didn't wear a vest because most people don't believe someone is going to try to kill them while they make a speech!
One good thing is, Reagan broke the year '0' curse that was placed on any president that won the election on a year ending in '0'. 1940, 1960, 1980, etc!
Bush in 2000 escaped untouched, and with no unstable person trying to shoot, or kill, him.
We'll see, when it comes to the 2020 election, later this year.

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/20 at 3:30 pm

John Hinckley got away with murder due to a legal loophole called Double Jeopardy.  At the time of the assassination attempt, no one died from his shots, but in 2014, press secretary James Brady (who became permanently disabled following the incident) died as a result from the gunshot wound he received that day.  Because Hinckley had already been found not guilty by reason of insanity, he was not tried or convicted in Brady's death.  He was released from the mental hospital in 2016

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/24/20 at 4:12 pm

I heard that his wife, and him, were very interested in astrology. I think it was more his wife, though.
For me, he didn't wear a vest because most people don't believe someone is going to try to kill them while they make a speech!
One good thing is, Reagan broke the year '0' curse that was placed on any president that won the election on a year ending in '0'. 1940, 1960, 1980, etc!
Bush in 2000 escaped untouched, and with no unstable person trying to shoot, or kill, him.

In 2000, I do remember thinking about that curse and wondering if Al Gore should be careful-since he did win the popular vote.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/24/20 at 4:42 pm

In 2000, I do remember thinking about that curse and wondering if Al Gore should be careful-since he did win the popular vote.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Yes, the "Tippicanoe Curse". :D I guess it did get broken completely because (1) Reagan, who was elected in '80, survived the attempt made on his life AND he went on to serve two full terms, and (2) GW Bush, who was elected in '00, made it through his entire presidency without anyone trying to kill him.

Subject: Speaking of Reagan, Why wasn't he wearing a bullet-proof vest in 1981?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/26/20 at 2:36 am

Its safer for all those in power like that to wear one AT ALL TIMES when out,he should have had one on!

Check for new replies or respond here...