inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Impulse Body Sprays

Written By: 1986grad on 06/11/04 at 6:50 pm

:)  I saw, when I "googled", posts from 2003 about Impulse Body Sprays from the 80's.  I LOVED THOSE!

The pink can was my favorite, and I still have the can today.  It was the scent 'Innocent' and I saved it hoping, one day, to find more.

I saw that Prince Matchabelli is the supposed maker or purchaser of that company.....and I've emailed them hoping to get more information on that product.  If/when I find anything out, I'll post it here!

Thanks for the great site!!!!!

;)

Subject: Re: Impulse Body Sprays

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/04 at 7:15 pm

I remember them. Can't remember which "flavor" I used but I did like it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/11/04 at 7:18 pm

Remember that commercial with that blond haired naked woman who sprayed Impulse on her stomach but the camera refused to show every other naughty part of her? And she made sound effects to go along with it.  ;D

Howard

Written By: Stacy_80s on 06/12/04 at 1:23 am

I loved the cheesy 80's Impulse commercials.

I think there was one where the lady is wearing a 'wrap' dress with a deep 'V' neck and big slits on both sides of
the dress. She sprays the Impulse on all the exposed parts.

She walks briskly through a shopping centre later, and some guy catches a whiff...and chases her down with
a bouquet of flowers.

I bought the Impulse after that, and guys would ALWAYS chase me down with flowers. It was always making me
late for work, so I switched to Jean Naté and my life was hassle-free.  :)

Written By: NbC on 06/12/04 at 1:42 am

I remember those also.  I wasn't a big user of them but from time to time. 

Written By: kimbr85 on 06/12/04 at 1:54 am

I remember Impulse....but have to say that *Love's Baby Soft* is what rings a bell most with me.  I think they still make it....

Written By: Howard on 06/12/04 at 10:37 am

I loved the cheesy 80's Impulse commercials.

I think there was one where the lady is wearing a 'wrap' dress with a deep 'V' neck and big slits on both sides of
the dress. She sprays the Impulse on all the exposed parts.

She walks briskly through a shopping centre later, and some guy catches a whiff...and chases her down with
a bouquet of flowers.

I bought the Impulse after that, and guys would ALWAYS chase me down with flowers. It was always making me
late for work, so I switched to Jean Naté and my life was hassle-free.   :)

I remember that commercial.How about the one where this blond woman was spraying Impulse on her body parts but they had a black bar over it so they wouldn't shouldn't you the naughty bits? ;D

Howard

Written By: 1986grad on 06/12/04 at 10:49 am

;D  **laughing at Stacy!**  ;D

I wish that had been MY problem..... ::)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/12/04 at 11:58 am

late for work, so I switched to Jean Naté and my life was hassle-free.   :)

HA!  that is too funny ;D  I always thought Jean Nate smelled a little like deodorant tampons! :-X

I never wore Impulse, I was a "Love's Baby Soft" kinda gilie. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/13/04 at 11:46 am

HA!  that is too funny  I always thought Jean Nate smelled a little like deodorant tampons!

Hey,don't laugh,I sometimes poured on a little Jean Nate' back in the days.One time,I accidentally poured it on my privates and it burned like heck! :\'( ;D

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/04 at 6:53 pm

My sister LOVED Jean Nate so every year for Christmas I would get her something Jean Nate. Then, I guess she developed an allergy to it so I had to figure something else to get her every year.

Cat

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/14/04 at 7:36 am

I liked Impulse too.  Although I don't remember which scent I used. Jean Nate was a little too strong for me.

Gee Stacy, I feel sorry for you!   ;D ;D  I should have been so lucky!!!

Written By: philbo on 06/14/04 at 7:40 am

Speaking as someone who had to sniff the stuff in the 80s, I hated the smell: it was without doubt the most nausea-inspiring hidious scent I experienced on a body (to which I was trying to get closer).

I even included it in a parody I wrote:
"But your body it had Impulse sprayed upon it
And the smell has always made me want to vomit"

..best stop there, methinks

Phil

Written By: Lynntofu on 06/14/04 at 4:06 pm

My sister had those sprays. I remember the one called Primo in the yellow can (I think that is the name). Man, if anyone still wears those, please don't walk by me. LOL My sister getting sick from wearing too much of it once. I do remember the commerical where the lady sprayed the perfume on her midsection.

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/14/04 at 4:32 pm

Here's a link to what I found on the internet...
http://www.unilever.co.uk/ourbrands/brand_impulse.html

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FI&Category_Code=impulse

According to the first link it is produced by Lever Faberge.

I myself always like Sand and Sable. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/14/04 at 7:38 pm

http://www.unilever.co.uk/images/brands/impulse.jpg

I guess guys could use this too,I suppose?  ???

Howard

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/15/04 at 8:04 am

My sister had those sprays. I remember the one called Primo in the yellow can (I think that is the name). Man, if anyone still wears those, please don't walk by me. LOL My sister getting sick from wearing too much of it once. I do remember the commerical where the lady sprayed the perfume on her midsection.

They still make Primo, I see it in the drugstores.  It's the "designer imitation" of Giorgio, so they say.

Written By: 1986grad on 06/15/04 at 5:30 pm

Well, here's the *pleasant* email I received from Prince Matchabelli....

Dear Consumer:  We do NOT own this product.  In 1993 we bought 3 classics from Prince Matchabelli and they did not sell the rights to Impulse, so it is discontinued since that time.. sorry

Ok, so to whomever posted that here back a year or so ago......YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!! >:(

I didn't get a chance to check out those links a few posts back...so going to do it now!

THANKS! ;)

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/16/04 at 7:55 am

I'm the one that posted the links for Lever Faberge. Let me know if that was wrong also.  ???

Well, here's the *pleasant* email I received from Prince Matchabelli....

Dear Consumer:  We do NOT own this product.  In 1993 we bought 3 classics from Prince Matchabelli and they did not sell the rights to Impulse, so it is discontinued since that time.. sorry

Ok, so to whomever posted that here back a year or so ago......YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!! >:(

I didn't get a chance to check out those links a few posts back...so going to do it now!

THANKS! ;)

Written By: MissDivaGrrl on 06/16/04 at 9:36 am

You'll all be pleased to know that Impluse Body Spray is still freely available in Australia. The cans are still the same. The frangrances are still the same. In fact, my favourite fragrance from the 80's, Incense (the Black can), is still available today!!!

The website that's listed on the side of the can is www.consumerlink.unilever.com

Just think, in the 80's if a complete stranger suddenly gave you flowers, that was Impluse. These days, it's more likely to be a stalker..... my how times have changed... ;)

Written By: Marian on 06/16/04 at 8:18 pm

I remember those1Cheers!
http://www.unilever.co.uk/images/brands/impulse.jpg

I guess guys could use this too,I suppose?  ???

Howard
:D

Written By: karen on 06/17/04 at 5:04 am

The frangrances are still the same. In fact, my favourite fragrance from the 80's, Incense (the Black can), is still available today!!!

They must have different colour cans and names in different places then.  In the 80's here in the UK the black can was called Nirvana.  I alternated between that 'flavour' and the red can called Chic

Written By: 1986grad on 06/19/04 at 7:51 pm

"I'm the one that posted the links for Lever Faberge. Let me know if that was wrong also."

Nope!  That was correct!  It is Lever Faberge - but they said they no longer make my scent.    :\'(

Now I'm off to check that other site ...!  WOOHOO!  Maybe I'll find a leftover can yet!

Many thanks to all who've responded!  (even if you didn't like them....that's ok!  To each his/her own!) :D

Written By: Toni on 06/27/04 at 8:43 pm

Have you ever seen the hint of musk in the black and gold can,I just ordered that kind from aurita it is not the same as it was in the 80" does anyone know where I can find the same smelling spray from the 80's thanks

You'll all be pleased to know that Impluse Body Spray is still freely available in Australia. The cans are still the same. The frangrances are still the same. In fact, my favourite fragrance from the 80's, Incense (the Black can), is still available today!!!

The website that's listed on the side of the can is www.consumerlink.unilever.com

Just think, in the 80's if a complete stranger suddenly gave you flowers, that was Impluse. These days, it's more likely to be a stalker..... my how times have changed... ;)

Written By: Gis on 06/30/04 at 6:42 am

Impulse is still widely available in the U.K though they do keep discontinuing the different fragrances and bringing out new ones.I used to like 'Fresco' which was in the emerald green tin but they haven't made that for years now.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/02/04 at 6:59 pm

Sorry, I was also a Love's Baby Soft girl as well! However, I also like Jean Nate and yes it did smell like deodorant tampons!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Dee on 01/26/05 at 12:41 pm

does unilever still make the impulse eau de parfume?  I absolutely love the light green fragrance so much, that the body spray is not good enough.  :)

Written By: pcxo on 01/26/05 at 3:43 pm

I didn't use impulse as much as I used Designer Imposters and Love's baby soft. 

Written By: Theresa Usonis on 02/11/05 at 11:20 am

I was just talking about them with a co-worker, & thought I would look on-line to see if they stilll sold them somewhere in the country.  That is how I found all you. INTERESTING!!!  Wish they would make the pink one, Innocence" especially!!! :)

Written By: michele with one L on 03/18/05 at 4:05 pm

I am pretty sure this is the same fragrance!!
Check out http://www.bargainside.com/impulse.html

:)  I saw, when I "googled", posts from 2003 about Impulse Body Sprays from the 80's.  I LOVED THOSE!

The pink can was my favorite, and I still have the can today.  It was the scent 'Innocent' and I saved it hoping, one day, to find more.

I saw that Prince Matchabelli is the supposed maker or purchaser of that company.....and I've emailed them hoping to get more information on that product.  If/when I find anything out, I'll post it here!

Thanks for the great site!!!!!

;)

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/19/05 at 12:33 am

Wow I haven't thought about those in a long time. My mother had a whole bunch of those, she used to by them from Woolworth. Oh wow remember woolworth??

Written By: dsaf on 08/23/05 at 10:40 am

I like cake.

Written By: dsaf on 08/23/05 at 10:42 am

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-I REALLY like cake.

Written By: Ishtara on 05/03/06 at 5:55 pm

Well, not all of the same fragrances. I was searching for "Alive", the one I spent most of my teenage years drowned in, but they don't make it anymore :(

Written By: Gis on 05/04/06 at 10:39 am

Wow I haven't thought about those in a long time. My mother had a whole bunch of those, she used to by them from Woolworth. Oh wow remember woolworth??
Well in the U.K we still have impulse body sprays and Woolworths !  :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/04/06 at 10:41 am

Well in the U.K we still have impulse body sprays and Woolworths !  :)

I just love Woolworths to this day, they're in most larger towns/Cities in the UK I think, as a kid was always getting lost in them.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...