inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: UGH NKOTB

Written By: Sammigirly22 on 06/13/04 at 8:04 am

I just recently got some MTV tapes from 1988 and 1989, and I swear every two minutes, it's new kids this and new kids that! The screaming hysterical girls annoy me. I'm so glad I was only a year old when they were popular in 1989. I don't even remember the music (of course I wouldn't) but they annoy me!

Subject: Re: UGH NKOTB

Written By: woops on 06/13/04 at 5:00 pm

Second  :)  :P

They were the precursor to that N' Sync & Backstreet Boys junk from the late 1990's.

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/04 at 5:20 pm

I will admit I like the songs 'Tonight','Right Stuff' and 'Cover Girl' - but they can't sing. They sound like adolescent boys discovering their voices are breaking.

Written By: Just visiting for now.. on 06/13/04 at 10:27 pm

- but they can't sing. They sound like adolescent boys discovering their voices are breaking.

They probably were.

I didn't really have anything against them..now, I was a bit old to be ooh-ing and aahh-ing over "how cute they were", but their music was okay.

And as for N'Sync and Backstreet Boys that were mentioned, I did like them.  People were/are really hard on them-but they were entertaining, if nothing less.  I was happy to see music going back in the direction of fun, myself.  That's the only reason I paid them any mind.  I was glad to see people having a good time for a change, and less of the whole grunge/gangsta rap "thing".  :-\\

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/14/04 at 8:30 am

Well I liked NKOTB. So I guess I'm going against the grain here, but I was in the age group that they aimed at. So it worked.  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/14/04 at 8:55 am

As my niece so succintly summed them up (after being a huge fan herself, but changing her mind after their 15 minutes of fame had expired) :

"New Skids On The Jocks"  :o :P

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/14/04 at 9:12 am

As my niece so succintly summed them up (after being a huge fan herself, but changing her mind after their 15 minutes of fame had expired) :

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/04 at 9:17 am

LOL! Anagram:
Bedclothes Kink Now
:D

By the time NKOTB got big, I'd turned my back on MTV, so they never really bugged me.  I didn't know 'N Sync or Backstreet Boys were teen sensations until the were...teen sensations!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/14/04 at 9:53 am

I also liked them...I was around 12 so they were big time cool to me.  I had the posters, tapes, sheets..all kinds of stuff.
It may have been silly but it was the 80's.  :)

Written By: Diamond Doll on 06/14/04 at 11:42 am

I was in the age 9-11 range when they were hugely popular so of course I had friends who were crazy about NKOTB.  I think every generation has some band they liked that they can later look back and cringe at.  Kidding.  :)  I had watches, sheets, and a framed poster.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/14/04 at 2:49 pm

I never really got into them.  Although by the time in the 80's that they were big, I was a little old to be going ga ga over boy bands anyway  :)

Written By: Sentimentalist on 06/14/04 at 8:15 pm

The best contribution that the "New Kids" ever made was being the subject of a BNL song.
God lyk!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/24/05 at 10:37 pm

I was so totally into them!!! I had the posters, dolls, sleeping bags, pins, collector cards, pictures, tapes...you name it...I had it!!!!  My favorite was Joey McIntyre....LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/24/05 at 11:03 pm

:( No doubt you've all heard my terrifying tale of being stuck in a  car for hours with my best friend and her NKOTB "Tonight"/"Hold On Girl" cassingle as well as their  puke -inspiring X-mas album. Yes that bloody boy band most definitely was the bane of my miserable highschool exiistence; just about everyone liked them but me!
A certain lycra-clad poptart named Collete, in one one of her more inteligent moments, predicted that the New Kids On The Block would become the Old Men On The Corner. Onya, Col! ;D

Written By: racer on 05/25/05 at 8:14 am

I just recently got some MTV tapes from 1988 and 1989, and I swear every two minutes, it's new kids this and new kids that! The screaming hysterical girls annoy me. I'm so glad I was only a year old when they were popular in 1989. I don't even remember the music (of course I wouldn't) but they annoy me!

Like someone said earlier, New Kids were what was happening at the time. Love 'em or hate 'em, they were pop culture icons. You were like 2 days old when NKOTB were doing their thing, so you really shouldn't say they annoy you. Every one my age loved them. In the beginning, there were a lot of guy fans, but then the group got too big.............that's another story. Nonetheless, they were hugely successful.

I remember all of the girls in school wore their tour jackets, t-shirts, buttons, etc. Everytime there was a new issue of the latest teen magazine, they would bring them to school. It was cool when we were kids, that was just what was going on. The New Kids were good guys to look up to. Just like generations before us who had David Cassidy, Duran Duran, Leif Garrett, Ricky Nelson, the Beatles, we had New Kids On The Block, Debbie Gibson, and Tiffany. They were part of our childhood, so don't knock it.  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/25/05 at 6:33 pm

We can thank NKTOB for Backstreet Boys and NSYNC.  ::)

Written By: DJ_Roxy on 05/25/05 at 7:25 pm

Ick! I was 11 and preferred David Bowie after seeing Labyrinth to NKOTB and was tormented by my friends for it. Something about a man in tights with equipment that still does it for me. Better than using a magnifying glass or telescope to tell what gender the New Pigs on the *(before D)ock were, let alone how sickeningly sweet they were. Heard Donnie Walburg was a brutal boyfriend. So happy Mark WEalberg turned out better ... especially in Boogie Nights :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/05 at 9:39 pm

I've got VERY mixed feelings on groups like them.

I was about 7 in in the very late 80's/early 90's when they were big. I was kinda neutral on them at the time - I already knew girls (some hardly any older than me!) were totally IN LOVE with them. However, on that level, I thought Debbie Gibson was cute, LOL!! ;D

On a musical level, just like now, I was more into 80's pop/rockers like Huey Lewis, Aerosmith, Phil Collins and Tom Petty. Though it was far more prevalent around 1998-2001 in the second wave of boy bands, I may not have liked the music so much, but I actually thought the guys were cool just 'cause they had so many female fans. :)

And besides, musically - even if it's fluffy, no-instrument-playing pop, I'd still take that anyday over "pimps and ho's and drive-by" rap.

Written By: george78 on 05/26/05 at 8:01 am

And besides, musically - even if it's fluffy, no-instrument-playing pop, I'd still take that anyday over "pimps and ho's and drive-by" rap.

I HEAR THAT!!! Very well put.

I actually liked the New Kids. Maybe I wasn't as cool as some people that like David Bowie at age 11  :P , but you'll have that. Everyone just needs to liven up. They had lots of good songs, sold millions of records, and were teens just living out their dream. Hell, I would have done it in a heartbeat.  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/05 at 9:45 am

Hey chicagoguy......did anyone tell you that by your avatar pic you resemble Ty Pennington (that guy on Extreme Home Makeover)?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 9:50 am

^ I thought he looked like Judge Reinhold. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/05 at 9:53 am

TY

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 10:01 am

^ Hehe, sorry Erin, I still think he looks alot like Brad from Fast Times (should bump the "Separated at birth" thread!).

Anyway, back on topic - the only NKOTB song I ever liked was the ballad "I'll be Loving You Forever" (strangely I always preferred ballads - while most guys do not).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/05 at 10:07 am

ok....here ya go....

and btw...

I liked that song too....I also liked their song "Tonight" on the Step by Step album.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 10:13 am

^ I love that pic - I knew it looked like ChicagoGuy! ;)

I only have "IBLYF" on an 80's comp, as well as "Step by Step", so I'm not familar with that one (though I'm sure I've heard it).

I also got into "The Right Stuff" because of Weird Al's Oreo parody called "The White Stuff." ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/05 at 10:27 am

I have....(looks around)......(in a low whisper)....all of NKOTB's cassettes!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 10:28 am

No need to be ashamed. ;)

I listen to some of the cheesiest music known to man (even in the 80's itself, I bet some of it was!).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/05 at 10:30 am

oh....me too!! my taste in music is very diverse.....

sometimes I like to get out the old cassettes and pop em in and have a listen....

it brings back alot of very fond memories!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 10:35 am

^ I still listen to tapes on a regular basis (even though I've got a big music library on the computer and all)! Especially mixes. :)

Written By: george78 on 05/26/05 at 12:01 pm

You know, I never got either of them. The lighting is really bad in that picture. It's my company work pic, but I do see the resemblence in that picture.  :D

Pssst, I had all of their cassettes too. Even the first one with "Popsicle".  ;)  Ahh, to be young again.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/26/05 at 12:43 pm

LOL me too.  And a greatest hits cd  :o

Written By: hideej18 on 05/26/05 at 3:30 pm

I have to say I was a huuuuuge fan!! ;)  I was between 7 and 10 when they were really popular and my best friend and I just thought they were the greatest...Joe was our fave!  He was so dreamy and he actually still is today!  :-* I still listen to my old stuff of theirs occasionally, I'm just a sucker for nostalgia!  :D

Written By: popmusik on 05/26/05 at 4:31 pm

I still like "I'll be loving you forever."

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/05 at 8:31 pm

You know, I never got either of them. The lighting is really bad in that picture. It's my company work pic, but I do see the resemblance in that picture.  :D

Pssst, I had all of their cassettes too. Even the first one with "Popsicle".  ;)  Ahh, to be young again.

OMG...I have that cassette too....joey sounded so cute on there singing..."You're my popsicle...from the very first time I met you girl...you captured me"...in that squeaky adolescent voice! LOL!

Check for new replies or respond here...