inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jane Wiedlin

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 06/15/04 at 12:46 am

All of us are familiar with Belinda's heavenly solo stuff, but did anyone else know her fellow bandmate Jane Wiedlin had a somewhat successful albeit short-lived solo career? Jane was probably one of the most underrated artists of the 80s.  I absolutely adore her first 2 albums 'Jane Wiedlin'(with the song 'Blue Kiss') and 'Fur'(with 'Ruch Hour') and I truly feel she is one of the most creative artists out there. Too bad she didn't have the phenomonal success Belinda had.

Subject: Re: Jane Wiedlin

Written By: woops on 06/15/04 at 2:03 am

She actually wrote several of the songs for the Go Go's.  8)

"Rush Hour" is my favorite from her solo work.

Written By: bj26 on 06/15/04 at 7:01 am

Wiedlin had a nice voice and was a good guitarist, I liked Blue Kiss.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/04 at 5:50 pm

One of the main reasons that the Go Gos's broke up was that Belinda Carlisle was paranoid about Jane Weidlin.

Jane wanted to sing lead on some songs, but Belinda took the position of "Well, I am the lead singer!".  For whatever reason the rest of the group went along (most of them were heavily into drugs at that time).

Jane's songwriting was excellent.  And by far she was the hottest-lookimg Go Go.  :P

Written By: woops on 06/15/04 at 5:55 pm

And by far she was the hottest-lookimg Go Go.  :P

Second.  IMO, she still looks good.

Written By: Todd on 06/15/04 at 8:20 pm

I've always been a big fan of Jane, well mainly cuz I love the Go-Go's so much.  I was lucky enough to meet the girls back in the 80s and Jane was always the sweetest.  The other girls were friendly too, but Jane went above and beyond.  She also has acted in a few movies (the telegram girl that gets shot in "Clue", Joan of Arc in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" just to name a couple.)  Anyway..the Go-Go's are togther again and playing some shows this summer, and as far as I know they all get along just fine these days!!  See ya at the shows!

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/04 at 8:20 pm

I liked Rush Hour. It was the only song I know of hers. She is great looking, isn't she?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/04 at 9:02 pm

I've always been a big fan of Jane, well mainly cuz I love the Go-Go's so much.  I was lucky enough to meet the girls back in the 80s and Jane was always the sweetest.  The other girls were friendly too, but Jane went above and beyond.  She also has acted in a few movies (the telegram girl that gets shot in "Clue", Joan of Arc in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" just to name a couple.)  Anyway..the Go-Go's are togther again and playing some shows this summer, and as far as I know they all get along just fine these days!!  See ya at the shows!

I saw an interview with them.

Belinda Carlisle still has a stick up her butt, IMHO.

And Jane looks as fine as ever.  :-*

Written By: woops on 03/01/05 at 9:12 pm

She's now on "The Surreal Life", one of the worst shows right now ...  :(  :P

Written By: AchtungBaby on 03/01/05 at 9:34 pm

One of the main reasons that the Go Gos's broke up was that Belinda Carlisle was paranoid about Jane Weidlin.

Jane's songwriting was excellent.  And by far she was the hottest-lookimg Go Go.  :P

That is so sad :\'( I did not know that.  Jane was always my favorite.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/01/05 at 9:50 pm

I like Rush Hour too  :)

Written By: zcrito on 03/01/05 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for the memories. I had forgotten all about her solo career songs back in the late '80s or early '90s.
I'm going to see if I can locate any of them...

(This will be interesting)

-------------------------
Update:
Looks like her solo stuff is all from the '80s. This is the best I could find for now:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DR7U/qid=1109737210/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-7792848-9800649

Written By: jjind on 03/02/05 at 7:41 pm

i love rush hour. i recently heard it on xm radio and it made me have to get it! brings back alot of memories.

Written By: banglebabe on 03/02/05 at 9:21 pm

Jane wanted to sing lead on some songs, but Belinda took the position of "Well, I am the lead singer!".  For whatever reason the rest of the group went along (most of them were heavily into drugs at that time).

That's not true.

Jane did want to sing lead on one song on their "talk show" album. A song called "forget that day". It was put to a group vote and the other band members voted against it because it wouldn't had been fair to the other members. But that's not why they broke up.

Jane left in November 1984, the band did not break up until May 1985. After Jane left, the band had done replaced her with Paula Jean Brown, gone to RIO to do live shows and started cutting demo's together. The reason the band broke up was because Belinda and Charlotte had decided to leave the band after both kicking drugs and alcohol. Jane was never a factor at that point.

I love Jane.  She is very talented and I must correct who said she wrote a several of the Go-Go's songs. She actually wrote at least half of all their music. I am a big fan of her solo music. I have collected her solo music from the early days she did with Sparks in 1983 to her last cd "Kissproof world".

I have 4 autographed items of Jane's but my favorite has to be this...  :)

http://xxoodenise.tripod.com/pics/jane.jpg

Yeah, Jane rocks.

Check for new replies or respond here...