inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rik Mayall

Written By: Fluffy on 06/15/04 at 8:12 pm

Young Ones!
8)

Subject: Re: Rik Mayall

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/04 at 8:19 pm

I love your point of view, Fluffy (Young ones is an incredible comedy) but Bottom was a showcase for Rik and Ade. The pair of them collectively explore what it is like to be desperate and depraved young men (seen the episode where Rik gets steamed up over a picture of Des Lynam sitting under a fridge? Unbelievable lol.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 06/15/04 at 10:12 pm

i loved the young ones but rik was in top form in bottom. off coarse adrian can only be rik's foil. wasn't bottom from the 90s?

Written By: Rush on 06/15/04 at 11:10 pm

I went with The Young Ones though The New Statesman was good too.

Written By: karen on 06/16/04 at 5:38 am

Young Ones

Couldn't stand New Statesman or Bottom.  Don't remember even watching Filthy, RIch and Catflap

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/16/04 at 10:19 am

I went with The Young Ones. I never really got into Bottom, and haven't seen the others.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Rush on 06/16/04 at 10:30 am

I never really got into Bottom

Absolutely Vile

This is something I never knew!  ;D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/16/04 at 11:28 am

This is something I never knew!  ;D

Well, I looked at Bottom, and I thought..."There's no way I could get into that!" ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/16/04 at 4:31 pm

Other: None of the Above. Rik Mayall's just not my cup o' Tea.  :P

Written By: Bobby on 06/16/04 at 6:28 pm

i loved the young ones but rik was in top form in bottom. off coarse adrian can only be rik's foil. wasn't bottom from the 90s?

Yes it was. Still worthy of a mention. I remember a great scene in which Rich, Eddie, Spud Gun and Dave Hedgehog inadvertedly recreate the nativity scene in a Christmas episode. 'Gold, Frankincense and Gruurrr'.  ;D

Rik Mayall went to America and did 'Drop Dead Fred'. What a waste! He could have done something much better than that!

Written By: jaytee on 06/16/04 at 7:10 pm

Young Ones  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/17/04 at 8:10 am

Young Ones - always :)  I was called Rik at school cos he and I both wore berets, badges and adored Cliff !!

But I aso had a crush on Alan B'Stard in New Statesman.

AND scarily - i LOVE Drop Dead Fred !!!!

Most of all I love Rik when he did live stand up - those were the days.

Written By: Koop on 06/17/04 at 9:53 am

Young Ones

Written By: mandamoo on 06/19/04 at 5:09 am

The Young Ones. 8)

Special mention though, to The Comic Strip. Hilarious !  Particulalry the parodies on The Famous Five ! ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/20/04 at 12:36 am

The Young Ones. 8)

Special mention though, to The Comic Strip. Hilarious !  Particulalry the parodies on The Famous Five ! ;D

Oh god yes !!!!!!!!!!!! 
"Mutter mutter Atom Bomb, mutter mutter mutter, drown the kid, mutter mutter"

And wash it all down with LASHINGS OF GINGER BEER !!!!

Written By: mandamoo on 06/20/04 at 3:53 am

Oh god yes !!!!!!!!!!!! 
"Mutter mutter Atom Bomb, mutter mutter mutter, drown the kid, mutter mutter"

And wash it all down with LASHINGS OF GINGER BEER !!!!

Hey ! You remember it too BMGirl ?

Lashings and lashings of ginger beer ! ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/22/04 at 5:09 am

Hey ! You remember it too BMGirl ?

Lashings and lashings of ginger beer ! ;D

Heck yeah !!  Luved it.  I have a couple of eps on video tape tha I taped when I lived in UK - getting very old and worn out now.  Must have a look and see if they have released any on DVD.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/22/04 at 9:29 am

There is an "other" choice here, Fluffy. A lot of people have voted "other" in polls when then don't like the subject.

Then don't vote.

Fluffy.

Written By: Bobby on 06/22/04 at 4:51 pm

That defeats the purpose of the poll.  "None of the above" is not an option.  Although not stated - it's quite obviously implied.  I don't want to know whether people like him or not; If i did, I would have put "Do you like Rik Mayall?" with a "yes" or "no" option.  I want to know which of his shows his fans(sure, others can vote, but if you really don't like him or his shows then why would you want to?) liked best.  Voting "none of the above" is completely pointless as it distorts figures and irritates those of us who like his shows and like talking about them.  I didn't start this poll to be the hot topic of debate or so I could spend heaps of time in pointless arguments about Rik Mayall.  Nobody said that you had to like him - but some do - so go somewhere else and leave us alone.

Fluffy >:(

I appreciate your point, Fluffy. The option was 'other' and not 'none of the above'. It may be a technicality but still . . .  :)

Written By: MooRocca on 06/22/04 at 11:02 pm

I had to choose Young Ones because the only two programs I've seen with Rik are Young Ones and Comic Strip and Young Ones is one of my favorite series, period.    Sounds like I'm missing out on some other good stuff by being on the wrong side of the pond!  (sigh)     

Check for new replies or respond here...