inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Moms from the '80's

Written By: woops on 06/17/04 at 8:21 pm

My choice: though I don't care for "family sitcoms"... Peg Bundy since she's the funniest.

Subject: Re: TV Moms from the '80's

Written By: MereBear22 on 06/17/04 at 9:23 pm

Roseanne was the best TV mom cuz she said exactly what was on her mind. My favorite episode was the one where Becky and her friend got drunk.

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/17/04 at 10:51 pm

Rosanne...AND I'd like to also add how much I despise "Maggie Seaver" for being SO disrespectful to her husband :P

Written By: JT74 on 06/17/04 at 11:48 pm

I can't vote for some reason, but I said Roseanne.

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/18/04 at 8:18 am

I picked Roseanne because she's the most realistiic tv mom - I also liked Sophia from The Golden Girls.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 2:28 am

I chose Claire Huxtable because she was very warm and also strong. She had a good sense of self worth.

Written By: robby76 on 06/04/06 at 2:45 am

I voted Clair Huxtable. She was a modern working mom who still had those old-school mom values.

ps: What did Carol Seaver do? My memory's a blank.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/04/06 at 1:47 pm

I voted Clair Huxtable. She was a modern working mom who still had those old-school mom values.

She was a reporter for a tv news station.

I agree with Clair.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/06 at 4:22 pm

I chose Claire Huxtable because she was very warm and also strong. She had a good sense of self worth.

Me too-but I would add that she was also very smart.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 7:28 pm

Me too-but I would add that she was also very smart.

Cat

Yes, very smart. I always wanted to someday be like her and have a similiar household.

Written By: nally on 06/04/06 at 8:06 pm

I never really watched any of these shows in which these "TV moms" appear...except for Peg Bundy, so I'd be inclined to vote for her. However, that may be a bias on my part, since I don't know much (if at all) about the others.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/04/06 at 8:33 pm

That was a tough poll! I really liked Claire Huxtable and Maggie Seaver and Peg Bundy was a riot, but I had to vote for Roseanne Connor. She was so much more like a realistic mom in dealing with her children and family and not always nicey-nice! :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 8:38 pm

Clair Huxtable.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/04/06 at 9:38 pm

Clair set standards for her kids and Roseanne didn't.

Roseanne didn't care that her kids wouldn't do anything in life just as long as they were hanging around in Lanford.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 10:46 pm

Sofia Petrillo of The Golden Girls.

Written By: pell on 06/05/06 at 12:20 am

That was a tough poll! I really liked Claire Huxtable and Maggie Seaver and Peg Bundy was a riot, but I had to vote for Roseanne Connor. She was so much more like a realistic mom in dealing with her children and family and not always nicey-nice! :)

Agreed. I've always seen The Cosby Show as the family everyone wished they had, and Roseanne as closer to what we actually had. Cosby presented the ideal and Roseanne represented the reality (and I did say "represented" since it was still just a TV show).

On topic: I loved both shows. I liked Claire, but could relate more to Roseanne, so I couldn't choose for the poll.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/06 at 1:40 am

Other:  Joan Lawson (played by Marla Pennington) from Small Wonder.  Boy, did I ever have a crush on her long ago

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/marlapennington.jpg

Written By: Nostalgic on 06/05/06 at 2:13 am

What show was Maggie Seaver on? Was that Growing Pains?

I guess all four characters on the Golden Girls can be nominated since they were all moms.

To help you choose, I will namedrop some other tv moms:

the mom on Who's The Boss? (Judith Light, can't remember the character name)
the mom on Family Ties (Meredith Baxter Birney, can't remember the character's first name)
the mom on Alf
Mrs. Cunningham on Happy Days (the show lasted until '82)
the mom on the Wonder Years
Valerie Hogan on Valerie (Valerie Harper, which became Valerie's Family, then the Hogan Family)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/06 at 2:22 am

Clair Huxtable my azz! DON'T get me started. Suffice it to say, Cliff and Clair Huxtable were a pair of overbearing know-it-alls. Every time one of the daughters brought home a boyfriend or a fiance, the script had Cliff and Clair staring down their noses at him with suspicious contempt, you know, because he wasn't going to law school or medical school. And Theo! The way the old man treated Theo, the kid didn't need to bring home a girlfriend, he needed to bring home a Glock! (go easy, we're talking hypotheticals about TV fiction, I'm not a fan of guns or domestic violence). And of course, there was Rudy, the youngest, make me wanna fwo up!

If I'm going to watch a sit-com, I want to be entertained. I thought All In The Family in the '70s pushed the liberal message way too hard. However, All In The Family worked because Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton were hilarious. Furthermore, the conservative/liberal banter between Archie and Meathead still works today!

Cosby was just preaching a classist, buppie line about going to college in order to make a lot of money. He does no differently today.

So, I voted for Peg Bundy. Married With Children was a show illustrating real American values. Heh heh! I'm also a fan of Roseanne. However, Roseanne followed the usual American sit-com learn-a-lesson formula. But her family (until the last few seasons) did look like a real family and had problems that weren't solved in 23 minutes. I emphatically disagree that Roseanne and Dan did not set standards for their kids. She who said so needs to watch the program with more attention.
But it was Married With Children that really got me, because it was so much like a British comedy. In Brit-coms, they didn't need sentimentality, and nobody had to be better for it in the end!
;D

Written By: kbundy on 06/11/06 at 12:22 am

carol was the daughter bit the mom was a photographer or a reporter or journalist  ..what was her name??

Written By: robby76 on 06/11/06 at 12:33 am

Rosanne...AND I'd like to also add how much I despise "Maggie Seaver" for being SO disrespectful to her husband :P

When I asked what Carol Seaver did, I meant in reply to this.  ;D

Was it cause she made him stay at home?

Written By: kbundy on 06/11/06 at 1:13 am

carol was the daughter maggie was a reporter.

Written By: robby76 on 06/11/06 at 4:17 am

That was a typo, I meant Maggie.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 3:32 pm

Rosanne

Written By: Southern Image on 09/13/06 at 3:32 pm

Rosanne

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/14/06 at 2:16 am

Hawk, the Slayer's Top 10 1980s TV Moms

10. Roseanne Connor (Roseanne)
9. Angela Bower (Who's The Boss?)
8. Elise Keaton (Family Ties)
7. Claire Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
6. Peg Bundy (Married...With Children)
5. Marion Cunningham (Happy Days)
4. Edith Bunker (All In The Family)
3. Grace Kelly (Grace Under Fire)
2. Muriel Rush (Too Close For Comfort)
AND! Hawk's All-Time Favorite 1980s Mom:
1. Marge Simpson (The Simpsons)

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/15/06 at 9:12 am

Rosanne

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/18/06 at 8:41 am

definitely Roseanne.

Check for new replies or respond here...