inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Very early 80s music videos...

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 06/20/04 at 2:25 am

I was just curious...did anyone tape the videos in the very early days of MTV?  I know VCR's were still kind of in a primitive stage of development back then, but I was just curious. They probably showed stuff that you will never see again in a million years and if you taped it the first time around, you probably have a true buried treasure!

Subject: Re: Very early 80s music videos...

Written By: woops on 06/20/04 at 2:33 am

I might've if I were around.  :)

Though  rare videos would air on VH1 Classic or appear on a DVD like "Best of New Wave".  8)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/20/04 at 2:50 pm

I used to videotape off MTV all the time.  I still have dozens of those things around here.  I don't know how "early MTV" it was, but I'm still happy to have them. 

I was a big 'Headbanger's Ball' (yes, that was mid to late 80's) fan, and I even have tapes of when different people hosted it.  I even have my main man Mark Slaughter when he was hosting it with Vinnie Vincent.  Sure, most of the videos  have been cut out, but I still have all their talking between clips.  I loved that!  :D

I even have earlier yet taped off of Canadian video shows like Good Rockin' Tonight (think that was Canadian.. :-\\) and Video Hits.  Sadly, some of those are on Beta tapes...I need to get my dad, who still  has the old betamax to put them on to a couple VHS tapes... ;)

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/21/04 at 7:27 am

I wish I had taped the early days of MTV.  Many of the videos from then you would never see now, even on VH1 Classic.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/04 at 8:50 pm

I wish I had taped the early days of MTV.  Many of the videos from then you would never see now, even on VH1 Classic.

VH1 Classic is the best.On Occassions,I used to watch them on television.

Howard

Written By: ferrisb on 06/22/04 at 11:52 am

What about "Video killed the radio star" I heard that it was one of the first music videos to be shown on MTV (or something like that). :) :) :) :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/22/04 at 12:36 pm

What about "Video killed the radio star" I heard that it was one of the first music videos to be shown on MTV (or something like that). :) :) :) :)

It was "the first" video shown on MTV when it went on the air on (I believe) August 1, 1981.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/04 at 6:13 pm

What about "Video killed the radio star" I heard that it was one of the first music videos to be shown on MTV (or something like that).   

I remember watching that video.It was a fun video. :)

Howard

Written By: bj26 on 06/23/04 at 7:25 am

There were great old MTV videos and also groups were aired on Solid Gold and American Band Stand.  Just start Googling and punching buttons on the Internet, and you can probably find ways to get these shows.  There are also New Wave compilations as mentioned in an above message.

Written By: Atari on 06/23/04 at 11:16 pm

Some that I can think of right off hand (I was there, in front of my TV on August 1, 1981 when MTV first came on air!)

1st video: Buggles- Video Killed The Radio Star (as everyone knows)
2nd video: Pat Benatar- You Better Run

1st Saturday night concert: Journey in Houston, taped live by MTV
2nd Saturday night concert: April Wine, Live In UK

Later on, but still early:
Split Enz- One Step Ahead
Madness- One Step Beyond
Barnes & Barnes- Fish Heads
Triumph- Lay It On The Line
Blonde- Rapture
Tom Tom Club- Genius Of Love
J Geils Band- Love Stinks, Come Back (...BAYBAAAAAAY!! GREAT song!)
Tom Petty- Refugee, The Waiting, Woman In Love
Holly & The Italians- .... I can't remember the name of this song to save my life
Kraftwerk- Pocket Calculator

I'm sure I've missed a ton, but these are the earliest ones that I can remember. I should go thorugh my list of video rips that I've compiled over the years. I'm up to 92 cds and 18 DVDs full of old videos :)

Anyone remember HBO's Video Jukebox, which preceeded MTV by a few years? I remember they used to play a live version of The Who's Baba O'Reilly, Genius Of Love, and Chas Jankel's Questionairre videos constantly.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/24/04 at 6:30 am

Anyone remember HBO's Video Jukebox, which preceeded MTV by a few years? I remember they used to play a live version of The Who's Baba O'Reilly, Genius Of Love, and Chas Jankel's Questionairre videos constantly.

YES!  I remember the Video Jukebox on HBO.  I used to purposely watch in between movies just to see if it came on. 

Written By: bj26 on 06/24/04 at 8:48 am

Some that I can think of right off hand (I was there, in front of my TV on August 1, 1981 when MTV first came on air!)

1st video: Buggles- Video Killed The Radio Star (as everyone knows)
2nd video: Pat Benatar- You Better Run

1st Saturday night concert: Journey in Houston, taped live by MTV
2nd Saturday night concert: April Wine, Live In UK

Madness- One Step Beyond
Blonde- Rapture
Holly & The Italians- .... I can't remember the name of this song to save my life

I'm sure I've missed a ton, but these are the earliest ones that I can remember. I should go thorugh my list of video rips that I've compiled over the years. I'm up to 92 cds and 18 DVDs full of old videos :)

I wish I could get your collection!

Written By: Howard on 06/24/04 at 5:19 pm

Madness- One Step Beyond
Blonde- Rapture

Wow Atari That is certainly a good collection. :)

Howard

Written By: Atari on 06/25/04 at 6:12 pm

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/80srule/

My entire music videos list. I'm not sure if Angelfire allows direct linking to text files, so I put a link to it on the index. And I promise it is NOT a virus. Just a harmless text file :)

Besides, you all have my email address here, don't you? :)

You'll find some dupes and some weird videos here and there. The dupes generally mean that I found a better quality version of the video.

Of course, the three different dupes of Dancing With Myself was my dumb mistake of not checking to see if I had it or not :)

Enjoy!

Written By: Howard on 06/25/04 at 7:21 pm

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/80srule/

My entire music videos list. I'm not sure if Angelfire allows direct linking to text files, so I put a link to it on the index. And I promise it is NOT a virus. Just a harmless text file :)

Besides, you all have my email address here, don't you? :)

You'll find some dupes and some weird videos here and there. The dupes generally mean that I found a better quality version of the video.

Of course, the three different dupes of Dancing With Myself was my dumb mistake of not checking to see if I had it or not :)

Enjoy!

Wow,Atari,that is one humongous collection I was just viewing. :o :D

Howard

Written By: prettypete on 06/25/04 at 11:17 pm

YES!  I remember the Video Jukebox on HBO.  I used to purposely watch in between movies just to see if it came on. 

I loved hbo vjukebox! I didn't have mtv in my town so this was pretty cool. As a matter of fact, the first videos i remember watching had steve miller abracadabra, the motel only the lonely, and bowwowwow i want candy. there was a video that summer that i loved but can't even remember what it was. does hbo keep track of any of that stuff? i don't think this song was a big hit either.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/04 at 10:31 am

I read where it said that HBO Video Jukebox aired from 1980-1983 and after that came Friday Night Videos in 1984

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/26/04 at 9:48 pm

Ah YES....MTV before it SUCKED! I watched from it's inception in August of 1981. GREAT memories and yes, a few tapes of the original  VJ's playing videos like
I Got You by Split Endz-1980
Stand Or Fall by The Fixx-1982
DURAN-DURAN!
and of course the "Friday Night Video Fights" :)

Written By: Lennox_626 on 06/28/04 at 12:31 pm

I have a tape that 14 year old & it has clips from different bands. It has these little thing called Changes & it shows you how 80s bands have changed through the years. It's not a documentary it shows you clips of shows they've done so you can see how they've changed. It has Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Eurythmics <33, The Proclaimers, King, Ultravox, U2, REM, Spandau Ballet, ABC ec cetera.

And all the one hit wonders like King (mentioned above) & The Proclaimers (mentioned above), but TP brought another song out that was on Benny & Joon starring Johnny Depp.

Written By: PyThomas on 06/08/05 at 11:22 pm

I watched HBO's Video Jukebox religiously back then, when I was a couch potato pre-teen. Recently I used the residual knowledge in my mind about the show to put up a webpage chronicling what was on each monthly half-hour episode. The site is at http://www.geocities.com/pythomastx/jukebox.html , and if anyone can help me fill in the blanks on some of the shows, your help would be much appreciated.

I remember staying up late on Friday night trying to catch all the music video shows, like Video Jukebox, Friday Night Videos, Night Tracks and so on in addition to MTV. Yeah, they hardly play videos anymore, but at least they had the good sense to "multiplex". My digital cable system has an "MTV Hits" channel, which would probably come the closest to resembling the MTV of old.

Check for new replies or respond here...