inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Debbie Gibson...interesting article

Written By: woops on 06/29/04 at 7:00 pm

http://www.80salive.com/Articles/Music/DebbieGibson/Images/pageBottom.jpg

I recently found this article on Deborah Gibson on a search engine that I found interesting...

www.dyske.com/default.asp?view_id=770

It's not another "I Hate..." site, it's more of an observation of her music.

What's your opinion. Good or bad.

BTW, this pre dates the current pop trend.

Subject: Re: Debbie Gibson...interesting article

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/30/04 at 9:06 am

Well-written with interesting info.  I was about 16 when Debbie was doing her thing and I would have NEVER classified myself as a fan of her music.  I did like the song Electric Youth, though I was apalled that I did.  :)  Now I have a certain nostalgia for 80's music (even if it was cheesy to me then).  Her songs ARE tuneful  (as are Nirvana's)  And I would certainly take a Debbie Gibson tune over anything sung, written or slaughtered by Brittany.  There aren't any songs of hers I like, even secretly.

Written By: prettypete on 07/01/04 at 11:15 pm

pretty cool article. i remember partying (not just with beer) with my friends and wanting to watch "night tracks"? because debbie gibsons new video for "out of the blue" was premiering. my buddies never could figure me out. hey she was my age and looked like most of the girls in my grade at the time, no figure!!!!!! ha ha. i was into buying 12" singles back in the day and most mixes were just extended versions but the one for "electric youth" is definitely one of my top ten favs of all time!!!

Written By: ferrisb on 07/02/04 at 12:32 pm

I too think that this is a well written article. Good analysis of the factors that shaped her music. By the way whatever happened to her?  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/02/04 at 2:10 pm

I too think that this is a well written article. Good analysis of the factors that shaped her music. By the way whatever happened to her?  ::) ::) ::) ::)
http://www.deborah-gibson.com/news/ Here's her official site....loaded with info :)

Written By: woops on 07/02/04 at 4:04 pm

She's now a Broadway actress & occasionally puts out albums under her record label.
She also does some tv appearances like "American Juniors", VH1 specials, and a made for tv movie for ABC Family.

In 2001, she released her "comeback" (or pop) album "M.Y.O.B." which is a fairly good album, but was a flop.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/04 at 8:29 pm

She's now a Broadway actress & occasionally puts out albums under her record label.
She also does some tv appearances like "American Juniors", VH1 specials, and a made for tv movie for ABC Family.

In 2001, she released her "comeback" (or pop) album "M.Y.O.B." which is a fairly good album, but was a flop.

She looks so much different from 1987. :o :D

Howard

Written By: woops on 07/02/04 at 10:28 pm

She looks so much different from 1987. :o :D

Howard

http://www.naturally-deborah-gibson.net/idols05.jpg

Plus she still looks great.  8)  :-*

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/04 at 8:04 am

http://www.naturally-deborah-gibson.net/idols05.jpg

Plus she still looks great.  8)  :-*

I'd still party with her.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/03/04 at 9:23 am

Wasn't she considered a Madonna wannabe of her time or not?  ???

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/03/04 at 5:26 pm

Wasn't she considered a Madonna wannabe of her time or not?  ???

Howard
No...Debbie has always had something Madonna didn't....Class :)

Written By: Howard on 07/04/04 at 10:48 am

No...Debbie has always had something Madonna didn't....Class :)

At least she never got up on stage wearing a wedding dress and sing"Like A Virgin". ::)

Howard

Written By: woops on 08/01/04 at 5:06 pm

31 days 'til  she turns 34.  8) Atleast she looks better than most overrated actresses today like Renee Zelweggar & Jennifer Aniston.

At least she never got up on stage wearing a wedding dress and sing"Like A Virgin". ::)

Howard

That was a classic tv performance.  :-\\

BTW, I've heard on an interview that Deborah wanted to be an "anti Madonna" because she wasn't into the "sex" image.
Ironically, most of Madonna's songs & clothes are tame by today's standards.  :P

Madonna also had some class too.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/04 at 5:53 pm

31 days 'til  she turns 34.  8) Atleast she looks better than most overrated actresses today like Renee Zelweggar & Jennifer Aniston.

BTW, I've heard on an interview that Deborah wanted to be an "anti Madonna" because she wasn't into the "sex" image.
Ironically, most of Madonna's songs & clothes are tame by today's standards.  :P

I'd still much rather have Debbie for a wife :)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/04 at 8:46 pm

remember most of Madonna's video had her touch herself,Debbie's video never had such smut! ;D

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/06/05 at 2:06 am

Tiffany also has a rough child hood. And during her popularity as a pop singer, she even sued her parents. (Like Gary Coleman & Aaron Carter)

Though Deborah Gibson is still successful, but in the world of theatre.  :) Though she did tried a comeback with "M.Y.O.B.

She actually did theatre as a child and even performed at the Metropolitan Opera House with Placido Domingo at one point. 

She now has a new album that's only sold at her web site titled "Memory Lane", which featured demos & B Sides.  :)

Personally, I think she's one of the most underrated singers of all time.

And '90's alternative singer Alanis Morissette was a popular teen singer in Canada in the late '80's/early '90's.

If she were popular, as a teen idol. in the states. "Jagged Little Pill" might've become a flop.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/05 at 2:44 pm

I'm glad she's doing better things right now.But,she's still popular these days.

Howard

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/06/05 at 3:24 pm

Hi Whoops,

I'd like to add to my original post. 

Debbie Gibson may have had a classic song-writing technique similar to the Beatles' that was initially appealing in its' simplicity but she never varied.  The Beatles' earlier songwriting was also formulaic but the world was younger then, and look at how far they stretched the boundaries!  This is probably why the Beatles are legends and Debbie Gibson is a punchline.

Written By: pcxo on 01/07/05 at 7:28 am

Interesting article.  personally, I was and am a fan of Debbie.  I have no problem going to any store buying a DG cd, or any for that matter.  My friends make fun of what I listen to, but I don't care.  As for her song writing being compared with the Beatles.....  I don't really analyze any of that. I hear a song I like and it will envoke some sort of mood, then I go buy it.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/05 at 2:27 pm

I think Debbie Gibson was like the Brittney Spears of her time minus the smut. ;D

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/07/05 at 3:39 pm

http://www.algonet.se/~fredddy/dg160.jpg

Strangely enough, I started listening to Debbie Gibson in 1999, the same year when Britney & Christina topped the charts.

"My 50  Favorite Summer Things" ...from Debbie Gibson circa: 1988

http://www.angelfire.com/de/TwoYoungKids/

(I'd rather not post stuff about what  Britney did  in 2004  ::)  :P )

Written By: Howard on 01/07/05 at 4:20 pm

http://www.algonet.se/~fredddy/dg160.jpg

Strangely enough, I started listening to Debbie Gibson in 1999, the same year when Britney & Christina topped the charts.

"My 50  Favorite Summer Things" ...from Debbie Gibson circa: 1988

http://www.angelfire.com/de/TwoYoungKids/

(I'd rather not post stuff about what  Britney did  in 2004  ::)  :P )

Debbie resembles a little bit like Christina or Brittney. ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...