inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Highest Score On Regular Arcade Pac-Man!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/30/04 at 6:26 pm

What your best ever? Back in 1982 my friend Randy and I figured out a pattern and I ended up with 250,000 points and 7 keys :) I hadn't played it since the early 90's until this past Sunday...they still have the game at Fargo's Pizza Place...and I remembered the patern! I was a little rusty though and ended up with 78,000 and got to the 2nd Bell :)

Subject: Re: Highest Score On Regular Arcade Pac-Man!

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/30/04 at 7:18 pm

I know I've gotten well over 100,000...even recently. :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/30/04 at 7:45 pm

I don't even know if I broke 1,000. :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/04 at 2:21 am

That's kinda personal, isn't it?  It's like asking somebody what his annual income is!
;)

Written By: nally on 07/01/04 at 10:41 am

I've played Ms. Pac-Man lots of times, but the highest score I got on that game was 66,540.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/03/04 at 7:43 pm

I've played Ms. Pac-Man lots of times, but the highest score I got on that game was 66,540.
I LOVE that game....but I could never figure out why at some arcades they had the normal speed game while others were set at super fast ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/03/04 at 7:44 pm

That's kinda personal, isn't it?  It's like asking somebody what his annual income is!
;)
I'd settle for ONE year of income to match my high score :)

Written By: ProgShred on 07/03/04 at 11:23 pm

I don't remember the score, but I probably made it to about the 7th or 8th level.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/04 at 2:50 am

I was going to make some nasty pun regarding Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, "cherries" and "scoring," but I can't get the phraseology right.
:-X

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/04/04 at 9:22 am

I was going to make some nasty pun regarding Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, "cherries" and "scoring," but I can't get the phraseology right.
:-X
I can only imagine, Max ;)

Written By: nally on 07/04/04 at 5:18 pm

I LOVE that game....but I could never figure out why at some arcades they had the normal speed game while others were set at super fast ???

I dunno...but whenever I play it I use a strategy; I try to wait for the ghosts to get close to each other before I get the "power pellet" (the big flashing dot), then I can get the ghosts. Unfortunately, when you get to the "apple" level on that game (third round on the second maze, where the apple is the fruit that bobs around), the ghosts start blinking less than a second after you get the power pellet. I haven't played Ms. Pac-Man in three years, so I probably forgot my strategies.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 6:13 pm

I dunno...but whenever I play it I use a strategy; I try to wait for the ghosts to get close to each other before I get the "power pellet" (the big flashing dot), then I can get the ghosts. Unfortunately, when you get to the "apple" level on that game (third round on the second maze, where the apple is the fruit that bobs around), the ghosts start blinking less than a second after you get the power pellet. I haven't played Ms. Pac-Man in three years, so I probably forgot my strategies.
The apple board is rough but at some of the later levels the ghosts don't change at all!

Written By: nally on 09/13/04 at 3:00 pm

I played it a couple weeks ago, for the first time in 3 1/2 years, and didn't do too well, as anticipated. Since then, I haven't gotten past the pretzel level. Also, I watched someone play the game and they got past the banana level; after that, the fruits that appear in each round are random.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/13/04 at 4:42 pm

I dunno.. not too many of these around, and I never got the chance.. :-\\

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/14/04 at 6:55 am

the game bored me to tears. i remember just walking away even though i had more 'men' left. i do recall getting around 20000 points.

Written By: Atari on 09/14/04 at 9:46 am

I never got that good at it. I was too busy staring at it, thinking of ideas for making my OWN games :)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/14/04 at 9:55 am

Not sure of exact count but I once got just over 100,000. (I was excited)  ;D

About a couple of weeks ago I was at an 80's club and they were having a contest. Whoever could get the highest score on Pac-Man won tickets to (I can't remember who) a concert. I told the little woman "C'mon woman. let me learn you something about Pac-Man" they had a big screen and everybody could watch you play. Well, it has been a good long while since I have played and you could sure tell, as for teaching my wife... I didn't know that she had been plying Pac-Man with the kids on the ol' Playstation and she was only about 90-something points from winning the tickets! DOH! :D :-[

Written By: nally on 04/11/05 at 11:22 pm

My best score on Ms. Pac-Man is still in the 50,000 to 99,999 range...last week I got a new high score; lately I've been getting quite a few scores in the 70,000-80,000 range. And I have gotten past the banana level.

Written By: krakboi on 04/12/05 at 2:12 am

Is this with speed up, or without?  Playing without the speed up chip is far more challenging, and fun.

I actually have a Pac-Man arcade machine, and I still suck at it.  On standard speed, I can only score around 50k.  I need to figure out a good pattern!.

Written By: Justawoman on 04/12/05 at 9:30 am

Don't you miss those old arcade machines? I play on the x-box with my kids and I suck at PacMan now. What that little handle is a joystick? More like a drive you mad, can't hold on to for crap stick....... I get pointers from my girls all the time," Mom don't hold it like an actual joystick!!"  I can't help it the 80's child in me wants to come out so bad and kick some PacMan Butt.  I can't get over 20,000 now, lucky if I hit 10k.  In high school I could hit well over 80k.  Those were the days.

Written By: nally on 04/12/05 at 1:53 pm

I've never played Pac-Man, just Ms. Pac-Man. I often refer to the latter as Pac-Man, by convention. About 5 years ago I became really good at it; after that I had no access to any Ms. PacMan machine for about 3 1/2 years. It was about 1989 when I first remember playing Ms. Pac-man; at the time, I was 9 years old. Some time much later I saved my power pellets for later, so that I could get the ghosts; all four of them if they were close together. On levels where the ghosts start blinking right when you get the power pellet, I sometimes don't even bother with the ghosts; I just try to dodge them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/05 at 2:02 pm

Not very good, unfortunatly.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 5:52 am

I haven't played the arcade version since I was probably 5 or 6 (loved it too!) - I think I might've gotten as far as Level 7.

I have Ms. Pac Man for the NES though, and no matter how hard I try, I don't think I've ever gotten past, say 8-9 (and even that is pretty hard). The first act (Levels 1-2) is pretty easy -- the ghosts are slow, they stayed "blue-d" out when you get the dot for awhile, etc.

The second act (Levels 3-5) is a little harder - the mazes a little less 'roam-able' with more places to get trapped - but not too bad. However, the third act (Level 6+) is where I start feeling like I really accomplished something.  :D Once you start getting up to about 8 though, it just gets too hard.

Does anyone know how long the 3rd act goes up to? I've honestly never known of a 4th act, or an end of the game -- heck, for all I know, there is no end. Maybe it goes up to 100 levels, but nobody's ever beaten it, LOL!!

I wish you could save this game - would certainly make things easier!

Written By: nally on 04/14/05 at 2:58 pm

I haven't played the arcade version since I was probably 5 or 6 (loved it too!) - I think I might've gotten as far as Level 7.

I have Ms. Pac Man for the NES though, and no matter how hard I try, I don't think I've ever gotten past, say 8-9 (and even that is pretty hard). The first act (Levels 1-2) is pretty easy -- the ghosts are slow, they stayed "blue-d" out when you get the dot for awhile, etc.

The second act (Levels 3-5) is a little harder - the mazes a little less 'roam-able' with more places to get trapped - but not too bad. However, the third act (Level 6+) is where I start feeling like I really accomplished something.  :D Once you start getting up to about 8 though, it just gets too hard.

Does anyone know how long the 3rd act goes up to? I've honestly never known of a 4th act, or an end of the game -- heck, for all I know, there is no end. Maybe it goes up to 100 levels, but nobody's ever beaten it, LOL!!

I wish you could save this game - would certainly make things easier!

There is no 4th act. But I do know that the third maze appears for levels 6 through 9, then the third act, and the fourth maze appears beginning at the 10th level. I've only reached it once, and that was last week. And I can be sure that on the higher levels, the ghosts start blinking at the very moment you get the power pellet, so you've got no time to get them.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/14/05 at 5:09 pm

I am soooo bad at 2D Pacman, but I rocked all of the games in the 3D pacman series.

Written By: nally on 04/14/05 at 5:43 pm

I played Ms. Pac-Man again today and got to the fourth maze, but got within 400 points of my high score, so I didn't quite make it to 80,000 again. In fact, my all-time high score to date is just a shade under 80,000.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 7:11 pm

There is no 4th act. But I do know that the third maze appears for levels 6 through 9, then the third act, and the fourth maze appears beginning at the 10th level. I've only reached it once, and that was last week. And I can be sure that on the higher levels, the ghosts start blinking at the very moment you get the power pellet, so you've got no time to get them.

Cool - interesting info from a guy who's gotten further than I ever have. I can't imagine how hard Level 10+ must be.

This does make you wonder exactly how far it goes, LOL! I don't even wanna think about 20!!

Written By: nally on 04/18/05 at 3:02 pm

I'm glad I didn't place a vote in this poll yet, for I have surpassed the 100,000 mark on Ms. Pac-Man today. :D :D That's right, my new high score is roughly 110,000 (which beats my previous one by over 30,000 points), and I got to the 14th level. Beginning on that level, the ghosts don't change at all when you eat the power pellet, hence it's useless. The maze is exactly the same as the third maze, except the walls are dark blue (instead of orange) and the dots are white (instead of red).

Written By: Climber on 04/18/05 at 11:16 pm

Somo are set at even slower speeds.  The only thing that'll get you anywhere at that speed is luck, because the ghosts only slow down a fraction of what ms. pac man does.

Written By: nally on 04/18/05 at 11:23 pm

Some are set at even slower speeds.  The only thing that'll get you anywhere at that speed is luck, because the ghosts only slow down a fraction of what ms. pac man does.

Yeah, that's something I noticed on the Ms. Pac-Man machine on campus. Same deal with the ghosts blinking. On the first two levels, the ghosts stay dark blue long enough for you to run after them and eat them before they start blinking, but on the second level (strawberry), they seem to stay dark blue for a little less time than I'm used to.

Written By: bigwasum on 04/27/05 at 11:18 pm

My dad use to get 250,000 and i can only get 88,00 because I don't play alot

Written By: nally on 05/13/05 at 5:57 pm

Some time last week I got 120,000 points on Ms. Pac-Man, and I had reached level 16. The ghosts don't blink at all on that leve, and I assume they don't blink on any subsequent level. On some levels they stay dark blue for maybe one second, so you can't get 'em all...you're lucky if you get two of the four.

Check for new replies or respond here...