inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Drinks (80's)

Written By: rerun49 on 07/02/04 at 12:08 pm

Can anyone tell me some very popular alcoholic drinks and shot of the 80s.

Subject: Re: Drinks

Written By: pennsygirl on 07/02/04 at 12:19 pm

Kamakazi shots were big.  Wine coolers big for awhile too.  Then there were Long Island Ice Teas, but we left the Long Island part off.  That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of more.

Subject: Re: Drinks (80's)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/02/04 at 10:28 pm

seagram's wildberry vodka coolers. every party i went to in '89, everyone was drinking them. long island ice teas were also popular. lite beer i believe made it's appearance in the 80s. i don't drink shots so i wouldn't know much about them but B-52s were popular as was sex on the beach.

Written By: kimbr85 on 07/03/04 at 12:43 am

Wine Coolers were definitely popular in 1985 when I was a senior...man, I remember being able to get a buzz off of just ONE!!!!

I also recall a bout with Bacardi and Coke...and being sprawled out on the filthy floor of the dirty drive in bathroom, passed out.  To this day I can't stomach the stuff!

But, Yeah...wine coolers were the sheesh!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/04 at 12:48 am

Wine Coolers were definitely popular in 1985 when I was a senior...man, I remember being able to get a buzz off of just ONE!!!!

I also recall a bout with Bacardi and Coke...and being sprawled out on the filthy floor of the dirty drive in bathroom, passed out.  To this day I can't stomach the stuff!

But, Yeah...wine coolers were the sh**!

Wine Coolers were alcoholic sodapop for kids too young to buy!  Any alcoholic beverage packaged in a 2 liter plastic bottle...YEEESH!  That was premonition of Jell-O shots!

That does bring to mind one 80s 4th of July night when a 2 liter wine cooler was just the right elixer to make my female companion more, um, pliable.
:-X

Here's a tie-in with the annoying ads thread: '80s annoying alcohol ads--
Bartles & James as two old men.  Probably the Pepperidge Farm guy's inbred cousins.
Spuds McKenzie.  Hey kids, we at Budweiser don't approve of underage drinking, but here is a CUTE DOG MASCOT! YAY! GO SPUDS GO!  Now, where'd Joe Camel go?
Seagrams Wine Coolers.  I thought those broads singing at the piano had no pants on, 'til I realized they were wearing leotards!
Bud Light with Biff, Bubba, Corky, and Sparky.  What kind of bar is this again?

What year did the drink "Sex on the Beach" come out?  That was '80s, was it not?

Speaking of Rum & Coke, I have similar associations.  We had a flamingly gay friend who used to keep copious amounts of these ingredients in the back of his white Corvette.  He called drinking, and the activities surrounding drinking, "reindeer games."  He would announce "Reindeer games, everyone, and I will arrange them!"
Remember the scene in Risky Business in which he's got the TV dinner, and he fills the glass up with bourbon and adds a splash of Coke? That was pretty much my approach to mixology at 16.
:D

Written By: NbC on 07/03/04 at 6:01 am

Mai Tai's
Fuzzy Navels
Tequila Shots
Rootbeer shots...rootbeer schnapps lit up and dropped into a mug of beer.  You had to drink it up fairly quickly because the beer would start to bubble and spill over. 

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/03/04 at 1:22 pm

Sex on the Beach was VERY popular in the 80's (so was the drink) ;)

Melon Ball shooters
Zima (was this 80's??)
Dr. Pepper shooters
Kaluha & Creme
Mad Dog 20/20 :P
Boones

Written By: camaro on 07/03/04 at 3:59 pm

Definitely wine coolers. Remember Bartles and James?

Written By: Hairspray on 07/03/04 at 5:51 pm

Pink Champale

http://www.pabst.com/beerimages/champale.jpg

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/03/04 at 7:48 pm

Pink Champale

Word of advice:  Always make sure a porcelain bowl is nearby before consuming this beverage. ;D

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 07/04/04 at 1:51 pm

I remember drinking Dew drivers (Mt Dew & vodka) at some college parties in the  late 80's.  I also remember some controversy in the late 80's and/or early 90's over a beverage called St Ides.  I have never tried it and don't know how much alcohol was in it, but heard that it was really strong and caused some cases of acute alcohol poisoning and even a few deaths of some teenagers.  This prompted some communities and liquor stores to ban it sale.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/04/04 at 4:42 pm

I remember drinking Dew drivers (Mt Dew & vodka) at some college parties in the  late 80's.  I also remember some controversy in the late 80's and/or early 90's over a beverage called St Ides.  I have never tried it and don't know how much alcohol was in it, but heard that it was really strong and caused some cases of acute alcohol poisoning and even a few deaths of some teenagers.  This prompted some communities and liquor stores to ban it sale.

Oh yeah, St. Ides was so ghetto! ;D  I remember drinking that & Olde English.  WTF was I thinking? :D :P

Written By: Aimee on 07/04/04 at 5:55 pm

Definitely wine coolers. Remember Bartles and James?

I STILL LOVE WINE COOLERS :)

Written By: Aimee on 07/04/04 at 6:05 pm

ECTO COOLER BABY!! THAT WAS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU WANTED YOU COULD MIX IT WITH VODKA, RUM. I LOVED IT EVEN ALONE. ANYONE AGREE?

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IT WAS, HI-C MADE ECTO COOLER (GREEN FRUIT DRINK) WITH SLIMER FROM GHOSTBUSTERS ON IT.

Written By: scoobydude on 07/05/04 at 6:56 pm

BRASS MONKEY... THAT FUNKY MONKEY!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/04 at 1:10 am

Pink Champale

Next morning, Ohhh!!! My head!!!
:P

Something college drinkers used to say in the '80s

Liquor before beer, nothing to fear
Beer before liquor, never been sicker

Or was it the other way around?
Is there any truth to this?  I could never tell.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/06/04 at 7:21 am

Liquor before beer, nothing to fear
Beer before liquor, never been sicker

Or was it the other way around?
Is there any truth to this?  I could never tell.

"Beer before liquor, never been sicker"

I've proven this theory right on a quite a few occasions back in day. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/08 at 5:39 am

Cider was very popular with me.

Written By: Timm on 02/25/08 at 7:11 am

Rootbeer shots...rootbeer schnapps lit up and dropped into a mug of beer.  You had to drink it up fairly quickly because the beer would start to bubble and spill over. 

We called those Flaming Dr. Peppers, because when the RB schnapps and the beer mixed, it tasted like DP. :)

Written By: robby76 on 02/25/08 at 8:22 am

Cinzano and Babycham for the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 4:41 pm

Budweiser ?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/10 at 10:48 pm

Budweiser ?

I was subjected to their despicable ad campaigns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWAFOPntWYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_PJQPh8TA

They thought we were really dumb...and they were right!
::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/10 at 4:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4

;D

In all seriousness, Mai Tais, Wine Coolers, Coke and Rum, Bloody Marys, and Bloody Caesers were the alcohol beverages back then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/10 at 2:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4

;D

If you didn't, I was gonna...
::)

In all seriousness, Mai Tais, Wine Coolers, Coke and Rum, Bloody Marys, and Bloody Caesers were the alcohol beverages back then.

Hey, those mango wine coolers went down real nice with a bag of pretzels...though pretty nasty on the way back up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/repuke.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...