inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were your favorite shows in the 80's?

Written By: scoobydude on 07/10/04 at 10:01 pm

This thread would probably be best started with two different subjex: cartoons and regular television, but then there's that grey area  :-\\ where it's something by Marty Kroft, so we'll start here. :-\\

I was a Saturday morning FREAK :o!  I'd get up at the crack of dawn and have myself three bowls of cereal while watching six hours of entertainment geared completely to the mind of children.

Where I lived, we didn't have cable television, so whatever came in through the antenna was what we got to see.  On Friday night, we usually recorded "Friday Night Videos" on NBC because it was on so late. 

On Saturday morning, if I got up too early, all that would be on was an episode of an early Flash Gordon series, followed by a "news program" for children called Kid's World on CBS. 

The strongest reception we got was from the local ABC affiliate and that's what I watched the most of.  Around 1983, there'd be The Monchichi's, Richie Rich, The Superfriends, Pac-Man, Rubik the Amazing Cube, The Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show, The Puppy's Greatest Adventures, and The Littles on the air.

At noon, The Weekend Special would come on and my all-time favorite one was "Scruffy."  Then, I'd switch to NBC to watch "America's Top 10" hosted by Kasey Kasem, followed by my must-see program, "Championship Wrestling From Florida."

Then, around 2:00 p.m., on an independent station out of Tampa, FL (Channel 44) would be a show called "Creature Feature" with Dr. Paul Bearer who'd show a "horrible old movie," usually a Godzilla flick or something starring Vincent Price.

After that, there wasn't much for a kid to watch until later that night when Saturday Night Live came on, with Eddie Murphy doing an impersonation of Buckwheat or John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd or Gilda Radner doing a skit.

I think Monday night had "That's Incredible" and I remember "Battlestar Galactica" and "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley."

Of course, as I got older, the shows changed, and so did the one's I watched... by the mid-80's "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" was a must for me on Saturday mornings and the local independent station had offered kids an alternative to the adventures of Luke and Laura on "General Hospital"... we had "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" and "G.I. Joe" and "The Transformers" and "Voltron" and "Thundercats" and "Ghostbusters"... :o no, not "The Real Ghostbusters" which was a spinoff from the movie, but another cartoon that had a big gorilla named Tracey.  I never knew what was up with that?

Okay, I've rambled on more that I should have and nobody will probably read all of this because they'll want to write their own shows down, so I'll shut up now. :)

Subject: Re: What were your favorite shows in the 80's?

Written By: Less_Than_Zero on 07/11/04 at 11:37 am

There were a couple that stood out in the mid to late 80's.  I was a Atari freak for most of 80-82, lol.

In no particular order.

Magnum PI
MTV
Equalizer
Starblazers-Cartoon
Voyage to the bottom of the sea
Knight Rider

Written By: Howard on 07/11/04 at 1:04 pm

I always enjoyed the comedy sitcoms like Alf,Perfect Strangers,Three's Company,Cosby Show,etc.... :)

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 07/11/04 at 1:33 pm

I was a Saturday morning FREAK :o!  I'd get up at the crack of dawn and have myself three bowls of cereal while watching six hours of entertainment geared completely to the mind of children.

Do you remember that time in your life when you were no longer interested in Saturday morning television shows? ???

And everybody remembers those Saturday morning shows, but what about the Sunday morning stuff?

:)

Written By: Howard on 07/11/04 at 1:42 pm

Do you remember that time in your life when you were no longer interested in Saturday morning television shows? ???

And everybody remembers those Saturday morning shows, but what about the Sunday morning stuff?

As I grew up,I no longer needed my inner child so now I watch Saturday Morning Adult Stuff.  :)

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 07/11/04 at 1:55 pm

As I grew up,I no longer needed my inner child so now I watch Saturday Morning Adult Stuff.  :)

Howard

My lack of interest in Saturday morning shows happened when I was 12 or 12.5 years old. I don't know, it just sometimes seemed better to sleep until 10 or 11, eat lunch and then catch American Bandstand at 12:30. Or if the weather was good, to just go outside and do something. Jonny Quest, Pink Panther and Roadrunner were the last of my Saturday morning favorites. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/11/04 at 2:09 pm

My lack of interest in Saturday morning shows happened when I was 12 or 12.5 years old. I don't know, it just sometimes seemed better to sleep until 10 or 11, eat lunch and then catch American Bandstand at 12:30. Or if the weather was good, to just go outside and do something. Jonny Quest, Pink Panther and Roadrunner were the last of my Saturday morning favorites. :)

I also used to enjoy Soul Train but now Soul Train has turned into a HipHop Show for black people with a lot of half naked girls dancing.They lost their minds.Soul Train used to be a respectable show with clothed women & when they had good 80's bands but now I rarely watch it and it turns me off.They should call it Rap Train. >:(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/11/04 at 2:10 pm

Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show was another one of my favorite Saturday Morning shows. :)

Howard

Written By: scoobydude on 07/11/04 at 4:30 pm

I'd say when I was around 13, but I'd still try and catch Pee-Wee or Ernest or pro-wrestling.  I got into skateboarding and that was like getting turned on to a whole new world.  Plus, the older I got, the lamer Saturday morning shows got.

As for Sunday morning, there wasn't anything worthwhile on television and half of the time I'd go to church with my dad and his family (my parents were divorced).

Written By: AL-B on 07/11/04 at 9:52 pm

I really liked Moonlighting back then.

Written By: Rush on 07/11/04 at 10:57 pm

Airwolf
Kenny Everett Television/Video Show
Knight Rider
The A-Team
Manimal
Automan
Streethawk
Sledgehammer
Twin Peaks
Blankety Blank

Oh I know there are others....I'll get back to you on that  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/11/04 at 11:58 pm

did someone mention american bandstand?yep,i lived for saturdays..anywho,i was more into 70's morning tv than 80's since that's really when i was a kid and into cartoons and of course let's go,krofft supershow,and sigmund and the sea monsters to name a few.

prime time:dance fever,charlie's angels,happy days,the brady bunch,welcome back kotter,chips,fantasy island,love boat,zoom,the jeffersons,gilligan's island,etc etc etc..(battle of the network stars was always a highlight  :))

as for sunday mornings,zcrito,it was the little rascals,ma and pa kettle,this is your life,big blue marble and the barbapapas.

ok, on to the 80's:
i was all about tv guide-especially the season preview guides which outlined all of the short-lived sit-coms i'd get hooked on each season(daddy i'm a big girl now,star of the family,it's a living,bosom buddies,mr merlin,we've got it maid)and the classics like tj hooker,real people,that's incredible,moonlighting,miami vice..ok..i'll stop there though i could go on and on.. :D

Written By: prettypete on 07/17/04 at 12:17 am

i'm thinking some of the stuff i loved were on the weekends too. saturdays usually had a "superhost"fella that showed the three stooges then a godzilla flick or the gargoyles.pretty scary stuff now that i think about it.but the morning cartoons were awesome.i would always be the first one up and cereal to this day is still my favorite food of all time. some of my weekday favs were reruns of like old shows.lost in space was my favorite summer show especially the last season shows.let's see,the incredible hulk,dukes of hazard,little house on the praire(my mom's fault).now you're making me think(ouch!) ;D

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 07/19/04 at 12:16 am

I'm an extremely devoted Facts of Life fan. :::waiting patiently for the dvds:::

also into:

ALF
Perfect Strangers
Cosby Show
Growing Pains
Quantum Leap

Written By: Lanie on 07/19/04 at 12:37 am

Three's Company
Facts Of Life
The Jefferson's
Fantasy Island
Gimme A Break!
Double Trouble
Growing Pains
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
Full House
Duet
The Tracey Ullman Show
Alf
Perfect Strangers
Quantam Leap
Miami Vice (had a huge crush on Crockett!)
and so many others.... ;D

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/19/04 at 7:30 pm

Star Trek the next generation and although it was at the far end of the 80s, The Simpsons.
God lyk!

Written By: ... on 07/20/04 at 1:31 pm

Full House

I like Full House too... although the '90s episodes were more interesting than the '80s episodes.

Written By: miss_defy on 07/21/04 at 4:51 am

I loved 3's company and facts of life too. MacGyver, Magnum PI and Quantum Leap-wouldn't miss them.

As far as Saturday morning cartoons, who could forget the absolute camp of Electra Woman and Dyna girl? And I think there was an episode of Lost in Space where they visited a planet full of nothing but fat people?

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/05/05 at 11:34 pm

I loved Facts of Life and Roseanne.... I used to like to watch Double Trouble too.... Remember that one?

Written By: robby76 on 09/06/05 at 12:33 am

What didn't I like!!! Favourite is Punky Brewster, then Small Wonder, Three's Co, Kate & Allie, Edison Twins, Jeffersons, Facts of Life, Silver Spoons, Automan, The Voyagers... the list goes on and on!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 09/06/05 at 4:37 am

I don't remember anything about Sunday morning shows, because that was generally when my brothers and I were bundled off to church. Saturday morning cartoons no longer interested me from around the age of 10. For a very short while at the beginning of 1997, I enjoyed watching the Saturday cartoon show, between cartoons, because they started showing video clips, live performances from and interviews with local bands. Kids at school were complaining that such features were "taking up valuable cartoon time" and the TV station must have recieved complaints to that effect, cos very soon it was back to cartoons as usual -and I stopped watching. I loved the music shows that came on afterwards though, Sounds, Beatbox, Between The Teeth, Rock Arena, The Meldrum Tapes.
Other shows I enjoyed:
Metal Mickey
The Cosby Show
Degrassi Junior High
And of course Countdown 8)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/06/05 at 7:39 am

MAMAS FAMILY AND DEGRASSI WERE AWESOME!!!!!!!!  I still watch those shows... stuck in a time warp but I dont care......... Thelma Harper is a hoot but I really love IOLA......

Written By: Mopp on 09/07/05 at 11:01 pm

Simon & Simon-  loved me some "A.J."  (Jameson Parker)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/12/05 at 7:29 am

Mama's Family (why oh why don't they bring that show to DVD?), Roseanne, Cosby Show, Punky Brewster, Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Gimmie A Break, Full House, Murder She Wrote, Kate & Alle, Night Court, Small Wonder, My Two Dads, Perfect Strangers, Step By Step.

Erin :)

Written By: electric80lady on 09/12/05 at 7:42 am

I was always asleep and missed the cartoons.
some shows i use to watch and still watch from time to time :
Benny Hill
M*A*S*H
The Golden Girls
Three's Company
Happy Day's
Square Pegs
Saturday Night Live
Friday Night Videos
Dr. Who
ect.........

Written By: Skippy on 10/11/05 at 12:47 am

Hey, If you want to feel young again, and there's nobody around to laugh and point, I just noticed Nick's the "N" channel(I think it used to be called "Noggin") is showing Degrassi Junior High. They've renamed it to Degrassi, Old School.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/11/05 at 3:25 pm

My favorites were:

Magnum PI
Miami Vice
Mamas Family
Benny Hill
SNL
Golden Girls
Simon & Simon
A- Team
Roseanne
Quantam Leap

Check for new replies or respond here...