inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what is an 80's kid?

Written By: Chrisrj on 07/11/04 at 4:43 pm

I was reading on another website that, "to be an 80's kid(or any other decade), you'd have to have been able to have clear memories of every year as a child," or something like that.

I don't find this true at all, because even though I was born in 1980, I still did all the other things 80s kids did back then (Nintendo, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Ducktales, MTV), so I still think I'm a true 80s kid, even though I wasn't truly around for 1980-most of 83.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: what is an 80's kid?

Written By: Dagwood on 07/11/04 at 5:52 pm

I think an 80's kid is someone who identifies the most with the 80's.

I was born in 1971 but consider myself a child of the 80's.  I don't remember much about the 70's...too wrapped up in myself to notice the rest of the world.

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 07/11/04 at 7:07 pm

i too was born in 1971 but the 70's mean nothing to me, nor can i recollect anything 70's other than garanimals and drug induced shows like puff n stuff.  you have to be old enough to understand life in the 80's and how it changes you, affects you, molds you.  you have to like it, want it, and become it, not just be thrown into it with no knowledge of it being cool or not, or if truly like it or not.

from arcades, tv shows, government, music, clothing, economy, all these things make up your environment and influence you.  a child born in the 80's would more likely be able to understand the 90's better with a more mature mindset.

i am proud to be a gen-x'er.  i feel bad for baby boomers and this younger generation.  they sure missed out growing up with alot of great innovations in our culture.  i feel sorry they they are not as cool as my fellow generation.  we rule.  8)

Written By: Powerslave on 07/11/04 at 7:45 pm

I think to be an "80s kid" you would need to be old enough for the 80s to have helped define who you are in some way. This tends to happen around 10 years old and over. Even though the times before that influence you also, it's not until around that age that you start to really understand what's going on in terms of politics, fashion and musical trends, social trends, etc. In my case, I was born in 1969, and even though I started becoming aware of music and culture in the late 70s, it wasn't until the year before I started high school (1982) that these began to really have an impact on me at a personal level. Therefore I would consider myself to be an "80s child". I can remember being aware on events in the 70s like the withdrawal from Vietnam, the dismissal of the Whitlam government, waiting for two hours to see "Star Wars" when it came out and a few other things, but they didn't impact on me the way that New Wave music, heavy metal, Live Aid, Ronald Reagan, the Falklands War, nuclear standoffs and other events did in the 80s.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/11/04 at 11:30 pm

I was reading on another website that, "to be an 80's kid(or any other decade), you'd have to have been able to have clear memories of every year as a child," or something like that.

I don't find this true at all, because even though I was born in 1980, I still did all the other things 80s kids did back then (Nintendo, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Ducktales, MTV), so I still think I'm a true 80s kid, even though I wasn't truly around for 1980-most of 83.

What do you think?

Yeah I think you're an 80s kid, I don't think you have to remember every single year.  It's not like you were born in 1991 or something.  You were born in 1980, so you were around then, and you did grow up back then.  Granted I'm sure most of your 80s memories centers on the late 80s,---but I think that still counts to get you into the "exclusive club" as it seems to have become. 

Some people that were born in the late 60s and early 70s can be real anal and overprotective about the whole "80s kid" thing, with rules that you have to remember every year super clearly.  I mean I was born in 1975, and I only have the vaguest, vaguest memory of 1980 and 1981.  But that certainly doesn't disqualify me from being an 80s kid.  Now ofcourse there is a difference between the teenage and young adult culture of the 1980s, and the child culture of the 80s.  The high school and college kids back in 1983 that were going to Duran Duran concerts were living in another world from me.  It overlaps for some people though, like myself who was becoming a young teenager in the very late 80s.  (I started my freshmen year of high school in the fall of '89)   

Written By: prettypete on 07/12/04 at 11:40 am

to be an 80's kid should mean that music,movies,girlfriends(boyfriends),the best years of your life are based in the 80's. Born in 69', I don't vividly remember anything from the 70's that well and knowing exactly what year anything truly came out. i'd say junior high years and up.the fun years ya know!!!!

Written By: MereBear22 on 07/12/04 at 1:03 pm

to be an 80's kid should mean that music,movies,girlfriends(boyfriends),the best years of your life are based in the 80's. Born in 69', I don't vividly remember anything from the 70's that well and knowing exactly what year anything truly came out. i'd say junior high years and up.the fun years ya know!!!!

To be an "80's kid" means that you were either a child or teenager in the 80's. I was born in 1979, and even though I was just a young kid, I have a ton of memories from all the way back to when I was 3. Therefore, it just depends on what you are able to recall, not how old you were during the 80's.

::)

Written By: Howard on 07/12/04 at 7:54 pm

I was born in 1974 so I can remember most of the 80's right after I was about 10 years old in 1984.

Howard

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/20/07 at 6:06 pm

Im my opinion, to be an 80s child as in childhood, preteen, and teenager, you have to be born between 1970 to 1980.  Lucky for me, I have a strong memory.  I was born in 1977 so I remember the 80s very well.  I think that my sharpest memory of the 80s started from 1980 when I was 3 to recent.  From 1982 to 1987, I was in grade school.  I had good times and bad times.  I was sent to a foster home in early 84 because my mother was an alcoholic at the time.  I was in a foster home for a year and a half until in 1985, my father took me into his care.  I had a litte rough time, but nevertheless, I had good times, too.  I remember when I had Smurfberry Crunch cereal when I was 5 and 6.  I remember hearing Alvin and the Chipmunks theme song for the first time in 1983.  I remember when my big brother and I went to the haunted house in Salvation Army in 1982.  I remember having a yellow music box at 5 years old in 1982, and my mother used to put it on for me before I went to sleep.  I remember watching Solid Gold, Dancin On Air, etc.  I remember when Power99 FM first came out in 1982 because I remember the commercial of it, and it was a Power 99 sign with a lit up woman dancin around it.  I remember when I ran away from home after school, and I would go to a friend's house.  This all happen before I hit 10 years old.  In 1988, they changed the elementary school where I was at to an elemiddle school (K-8).  So, instead of going to a separate middle/junior high school, we stayed in the same school, so from 1988-1991, I was middle school age.  We were the first 8th graders to graduate in 1991.    I would tell you the rest, but that's all for now.

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 6:28 pm

I think to be an 80s kid, you have to be born between 1968 and 1981. If you were born in 1982, you would have a clear picture of around 1989 and 1990.

Written By: nally on 11/20/07 at 6:29 pm

I think to be an 80s kid, you have to be born between 1968 and 1981.

I was born in 1980, so I guess I qualify. :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/20/07 at 8:14 pm

I was born in 1978, and I have wonderful memories of the 80's.  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/20/07 at 8:42 pm

I was born in 1976, and the 80's where my favorite decade.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 10:51 am

Nicole, your post brought about your life brought tears to my eyes. You look about 18.  I was born in 1970. I remember the 70s and the 80s. I have a great memory anyway. I remember kindergarten.  I remember the decades mainly through musical. "Let's Get Physical"  often runs through my head as an early 80s hit.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 10:57 am

Nicole, your post brought about your life brought tears to my eyes. You look about 18.  I was born in 1970. I remember the 70s and the 80s. I have a great memory anyway. I remember kindergarten.  I remember the decades mainly through musical. "Let's Get Physical"  often runs through my head as an early 80s hit.

Thank you for the compliment :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 12:46 pm

I was born in 67 so I am technically a child of the 70s but my life was shaped by the 80S most of my obsessions center on the 80s because thats when I was in high school.  I think we start to develop who we are going to be for the rest of our lives in high school.... before high school we're still figuring things out and trying to please our families but in high school we are starting to find our indiependence and start searching for things we identify with that we can call our own.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 1:05 pm

Well Im still seeking that independence that you speak of lol !!! I try to please everyone and thats' the problem.  In high school I tried NOT to please my parents at all.  What is most shameful is my hair is still big.  Really, Ive never crossed over to sleek straight hair. I had the nerve last night to try to recreate my high school photo hairstyle.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:11 pm

Well Im still seeking that independence that you speak of lol !!! I try to please everyone and thats' the problem.  In high school I tried NOT to please my parents at all.  What is most shameful is my hair is still big.  Really, Ive never crossed over to sleek straight hair. I had the nerve last night to try to recreate my high school photo hairstyle.

oh you have got to go to say cheese and post that high school photo....please ;D

I live in Santa Barbara there is one hairstylist here so I have to drive an hour to get my hair done. I hate getting my hair done...so it just looks like crap all the time.

What do you think?

BTW Chris you have to think about what makes you more nostalgic.  That yearning feeling the longing to go back to a certain time... do you feel more nostalgic about the 80s or the 90s?  Your answer defines what kind of kid you are.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/07 at 2:05 pm

I guess I don't qualify, although my earliest memories of the '80s began in 1985.  :\'( Does someone want to extend it from 1970-1982??  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...