inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's Christian Music

Written By: prettypete on 07/12/04 at 11:28 am

My wife remembers artists like Petra, Michael W. Smith, Steve Taylor, and Amy Grant. I only remember Stryper but even then I didn't think they were any different than any other rock band (except for the Bibles they through out into the audience!!!)

Subject: Re: 80's Christian Music

Written By: Dagwood on 07/12/04 at 2:53 pm

I loved Stryper, Petra and Amy Grant.  Another great band was Bloodgood.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/12/04 at 3:42 pm

I guess Nazareth's one, right? I only know and like their one tune "Love Hurts".

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/12/04 at 7:33 pm

Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant, definitely.

Written By: prettypete on 07/13/04 at 6:01 pm

I guess Nazareth's one, right? I only know and like their one tune "Love Hurts".
I'm not too familiar with christian groups doing songs like "hair of the dog"!!!! Love  Hurts is actually a remake of Boudleaux Bryant's song. Also recorded by the everly brothers and roy orbison. I know alot of the older christian songs sounded like they worked on a budget of about 100 dollars to do their recording!!!

Written By: zcrito on 07/13/04 at 9:02 pm

The only Christian or inspirational** songs of the '80s that I know of are

Find a Way - Amy Grant
Better Days - Dianne Reeves
Let My Love Open the Door - Pete Townshend
Heaven - BeBe & CeCe Winans
Lost Without You -  BeBe & CeCe Winans
You Will Know - Stevie Wonder
No Pain,No Gain - Betty Wright
Love Pain, Sunshine Rain - Maze

** I guess any song that can make you happy when you're feeling down can be considered "inspirational"? :)

;D

Written By: stingr22 on 07/14/04 at 8:37 am

No.  Nazareth wasn't a Christian band. 

Written By: stingr22 on 07/14/04 at 8:52 am

A lot of Christian music was about 10 years behind the times back then or very wimpy, with a few exceptions.  A lot of Christian artists basically grew up listening to rock n' roll, but thought they could offer something to the Christian kids.  Here are some Christian artists from back then that are worth listening to.

Bryan Duncan
Sweet Comfort Band
Rich Mullins
REZ Band
Petra
DeGarmo & Key
Rick Cua
Steve Taylor
Stryper
Steven Curtis Chapman
A.D. (featuring Kerry Livgren from Kansas)
Mylon LeFevere & Broken Heart
Russ Taff
Margaret Becker
Michael W. Smith
Amy Grant

Christian music has come a long way since back then, with the music and production that rivals a lot of what is currently going on musically in the mainstream market.  You're seeing a lot of Christian artists being picked up by major labels (Stacey Orrico, P.O.D., MxPx, DC Talk, Jars Of Clay, Sixpence None The Richer, Switchfoot, etc.).  The talent gap and the audience gap has narrowed...

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/14/04 at 11:34 am

I have heard a lot of Christian music due to having many Christian friends.  Seems like CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) was pretty much underground in the 80s, with anything popular being very light adult contemporary stuff.  The 90s seemed to really bridge the gap, and now there are many Christian artists who are totally mainstream.  I really like listening to a lot of it just for the sound, and most CCM artists are very talented unlike many fakes in the mainstream world today.  The Christian message is not even "in your face", you interpret the music how you want to, its very nice.  Unlike a lot of explicit mainstram music today.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/06 at 12:53 pm

My family grew up listening to most of the popular Christian singers/groups. Here are some that we listened to a lot, and some I still listen to on occasion....

Bryan Duncan
Rich Mullins
Petra
Steven Curtis Chapman
Russ Taff
Margaret Becker
Michael W. Smith
Amy Grant
Gary Chapman
Al Denson
Jon Elefante

Written By: Cafe80s on 06/02/06 at 1:38 pm

I have nothing against Christianity believe it or not cause it costs nothing to go to church & it makes some people feel better about being part of the human race  etc, but why is all Christian music all so corny. Isn't it easy to judge those who don't fit into neat little categories as everyone would like them to. So many people belieive they are Christains eg/ George W Bush yet they seem to contridict their beliefs, i don't really get it.  It's funny since Jesus was supposedly an uncoventional in his thinking & actions. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/02/06 at 4:23 pm

What about Sandi Patti? We listened to her on occasion. We had a tape that she released that had this song called "Fabulous Feet" and we use to stick our feet up on the edge of the bed and wiggle them around to the song.

My mom also had these awful sounding hymnal tapes she got through Reader's Digest and sometimes she made us listen to them when we were bad. It really was torture  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/06 at 7:19 pm

I have nothing against Christianity believe it or not cause it costs nothing to go to church & it makes some people feel better about being part of the human race  etc, but why is all Christian music all so corny. Isn't it easy to judge those who don't fit into neat little categories as everyone would like them to. So many people belieive they are Christains eg/ George W Bush yet they seem to contridict their beliefs, i don't really get it.  It's funny since Jesus was supposedly an uncoventional in his thinking & actions. 

I don't think all of it is corny....believe it or not, there are some really talented musicians that happen to be Christian musicians.

Written By: 80sforever on 06/02/06 at 9:30 pm

I grew up listening to CCM (contemporary Christian Music.) I've got quite great collection of 80's CCM...

Kathy Troccoli - Images from '86 was her best!!
Amy Grant - I've got everything of hers but two of my all time favorites come from the 80's -- Unguarded (where my avatar comes from) and Lead Me On
Michael W Smith - I to Eye was his best from the 80's
Renee Garcia - I have both of her CD's
Tim Miner
Gaither Vocal band
Newsong
Billy Crockett
Pam Mark Hall
Sandi Patty
BEBE and CECE Winans
Michael James Murphy
Farrell and Farrell
Kim Hill

I know I've got others but can't think of them right now.

You know when I think of 80's music it's CCM I think of. I didn't get into mainstream pop music until 1991 or so and discovered my love for mainstream 80's music. As for the cornyness I'll take corny over crap. The stuff put out in CCM and mainstream pop today (Except for a few rare artist) is crap.  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 9:46 pm

All Christian music is garbage, pretty much.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/03/06 at 12:41 am

well that of course, is your opinion. Let me ask you...just how much Christian music have YOU listened to in the short years that you have been alive?  I love how you are so quick to judge everything...and then you wonder why people can't stand you. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/06 at 1:23 am

I know many of these artists, but the only one I was really familiar with was Amy Grant.  She had quite a few songs I liked.  Her late 80's hit, ironically called '1974' was a minor chart success here. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:12 am

Was 'Hymn' by Ultravox Christian music? I know the lyrics were sort of religious sounding...

That song was pretty cheesy, lol, but good to listen to when no one's in earshot.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/03/06 at 10:56 am

damn Donnie, now you're an authority on Christian music too. Why make such an insultive comment of these beautiful artists when your experience in this genre is probably very limited. Which 80's Christian music are you critique'ng? all of it, you've listened to all of it or you wouldn't be making that blanket statement. I guess you're stereotyping the whole genre.

Check out 80's Christian Rock group The Daniel Band, they have sort of a Montrose/AC/DC sound and
my personal favorite was and still is 2nd Chapter Of Acts.

well, if you believe it's garbage than to you it's garbage.  8)  and you're entitled to your opinion as i am to mine.  I've got my 2nd chapter of acts and daniel band cd's right there with my led zep and aerosmith, it fits in nicely.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 3:40 pm

well that of course, is your opinion. Let me ask you...just how much Christian music have YOU listened to in the short years that you have been alive?  I love how you are so quick to judge everything...and then you wonder why people can't stand you. ::)

I'm so sorry. I was kind of in a bad mood, after reading those attacks against me at the time. Hope you can forgive me  :-\\

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/03/06 at 3:46 pm

I agree there are not that many good Christian artists compared to music on a whole, but I still don't mind opening up to what may be out there. Music is music, and I love it in any shape or form.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/06 at 4:51 pm

Don't forget there were  great bands in the '80s such as U2, The Call , The Alarm whose lyrics were informed by Christian convictions, but who were not evangelical in their approach.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/06 at 5:20 pm

I know many of these artists, but the only one I was really familiar with was Amy Grant.  She had quite a few songs I liked.  Her late 80's hit, ironically called '1974' was a minor chart success here. 

Same here. The one I like is Angels. (I think I have the album with that on it somewhere around here.)

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/03/06 at 10:55 pm

I'm so sorry. I was kind of in a bad mood, after reading those attacks against me at the time. Hope you can forgive me  :-\\

Sure ;)  I guess I was just PMSing a bit too much!! Sorry for being a bit harsh! :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 11:18 pm

Sure ;)  I guess I was just PMSing a bit too much!! Sorry for being a bit harsh! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/06 at 3:20 am

you don't know Daniel Band??  they're Canadian

Written By: namilliron on 06/04/06 at 6:56 am

Don't forget there were  great bands in the '80s such as U2, The Call , The Alarm whose lyrics were informed by Christian convictions, but who were not evangelical in their approach.

And I STILL listen to side 1 of the Alarm's "Strength" album.

also, had "Beat the System" (Petra) on my Myspace profile until the band deleted it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/06 at 1:45 pm

I went to a couple of Petra and Stryper concerts in the 80's and they rocked pretty darn good. 8)  Steven Taylor's hit 'I want To Be A Clone' was a pretty fun song.

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/05/06 at 9:56 am

Bryan Duncan
Sweet Comfort Band
Rich Mullins
REZ Band
Petra
DeGarmo & Key
Rick Cua
Steve Taylor
Stryper
Steven Curtis Chapman
A.D. (featuring Kerry Livgren from Kansas)
Russ Taff
Margaret Becker
Michael W. Smith
Amy Grant

A lot of these guys and gals are still around, and still putting out great music. Mylon LeFevere. Petra and Stryper are the only ones that I know for sure are gone. Every once in a while one of these others puts out something new.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/06 at 11:00 am

A lot of these guys and gals are still around, and still putting out great music. Mylon LeFevere. Petra and Stryper are the only ones that I know for sure are gone. Every once in a while one of these others puts out something new.

Actually regarding Stryper...I heard that they are back together, at least to perform at an upcoming Christian music fest this summer. I don't know if they are planning on staying together longer than that or what.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 1:55 pm

Although regular music during the early and mid 80's drifted in, Christian and Oldies music was pretty much the only music played in my house as a kid. After that I rarely listened to it since then but I agree that the scene has changed since then. My mother has a religious sattlight service piped into her house and every once in a while there will be PopChristain music on there on the various music channels. On the rock\pop side it seems that it's filled with artist who only call their music religious because they can't make it elsewhere. However another big element is what I like to call the "Family values" music which is the country-pop crossovers.

Written By: 80sforever on 06/05/06 at 4:14 pm

I agree. In my opinion it started going downhill (along with the regular pop genre) in 1995. I was working at a Christian radio station from 1995-1997 (Imagine having to listen to Bob Carlisle's Butterfly Kisses 4-5 times in a 6 hour work day!!  :P I STILL hate that song to this day...lol) and could see a trend into more as you call it Family Values/Friendly songs and less about Jesus. While I don't mind those kind of songs to me the singles released should be blatant Christian songs (afterall it's Christian Radio right  ;) .)

I personally don't listen to any radio anymore whether it be Christian/Pop/Country...I just don't care for the style and the artist's that are out there today. I've found a handful of newer artists (probably could count them one both hands) that I like but even then I have to preview it to see if their next CD is worth getting. Thank God for old 80's/early 90's CD and Itunes so I can burn mixes for my car.  ;D 

Although regular music during the early and mid 80's drifted in, Christian and Oldies music was pretty much the only music played in my house as a kid. After that I rarely listened to it since then but I agree that the scene has changed since then. My mother has a religious sattlight service piped into her house and every once in a while there will be PopChristain music on there on the various music channels. On the rock\pop side it seems that it's filled with artist who only call their music religious because they can't make it elsewhere. However another big element is what I like to call the "Family values" music which is the country-pop crossovers.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 5:48 pm

I agree. In my opinion it started going downhill (along with the regular pop genre) in 1995. I was working at a Christian radio station from 1995-1997 (Imagine having to listen to Bob Carlisle's Butterfly Kisses 4-5 times in a 6 hour work day!!  :P I STILL hate that song to this day...lol)

Yes, me too!  ;D Back then if you didn't agree with someone that it was the best song ever, suddenly you'd find yourself surrounded by a pack of fingerwaving middle aged women claiming that there must be something wrong with you!  ::) :D

Written By: 80sforever on 06/05/06 at 9:03 pm

LOL the funny thing is I LOVED Bob Carlisle Debut CD (and his Allies days...another great 80's group) it's still one of my favorites from the early 90's but I wanted to pull my hair out when Butterfly Kisses came out (Butterfly Kisses came from his 2rd or 3rd CD Shades of Grace...later renamed Butterfly Kisses) . That's so true about people looking at you funny for not liking it. But I told them "You would hate it too if you had to listen to it 4-5 times in a six hour period." Thank God I didn't work more than six hours a day!!!

Oh if you ever want to hear something funny from him listen to his rendition of Amy Grant's Baby Baby (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=16195026&s=143441&i=16194716 ) <--This is a link to Itunes BTW. I laughed soo hard the first time I heard this.

Yes, me too!  ;D Back then if you didn't agree with someone that it was the best song ever, suddenly you'd find yourself surrounded by a pack of fingerwaving middle aged women claiming that there must be something wrong with you!  ::) :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/06 at 9:08 pm

LOL the funny thing is I LOVED Bob Carlisle Debut CD (and his Allies days...another great 80's group) it's still one of my favorites from the early 90's but I wanted to pull my hair out when Butterfly Kisses came out (Butterfly Kisses came from his 2rd or 3rd CD Shades of Grace...later renamed Butterfly Kisses) . That's so true about people looking at you funny for not liking it. But I told them "You would hate it too if you had to listen to it 4-5 times in a six hour period." Thank God I didn't work more than six hours a day!!!

I know what you mean. I used to work in a Christian book/music store....and when that song came out...EVERYBODY wanted it. If I had a nickel for everytime someone came in and wanted that song to use during their wedding....I could be rich by now!! ;)

Written By: kbundy on 06/11/06 at 12:14 am

NO!!!!

Written By: zcrito on 06/11/06 at 11:57 am

NO!!!!

So true. She was probably thinking of Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" ?
It's not an '80s song but make a great Christian song anyway.
::)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/14/06 at 2:34 am

I remember a rather radical Christian band called "The Crimson Alliance".

They were along the lines of Christian metal, biut they seemed ahead of their time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 3:30 pm

I know what you mean. I used to work in a Christian book/music store....and when that song came out...EVERYBODY wanted it. If I had a nickel for everytime someone came in and wanted that song to use during their wedding....I could be rich by now!! ;)

That song became popular around 1996 or 1997 I believe, and I had heard it was suppose to be this awesome song, but when I listened to it, I was like - "Huh?"  ;D

Written By: leebowen on 01/01/10 at 1:26 am

There were lots of great christain bands in the 80's

whitecross
barren cross

Written By: Henk on 01/01/10 at 1:43 am

I don't think anyone has mentioned Steve Taylor yet. Probably because his music was (is?) rather controversial.

I remember a lot of the other artists already mentioned being played at the local YfC joint in my town. In the 1980's and into 1990's I used to frequent that place. Even was chairman for a couple of years - until its closing down.

Here's a few Steve Taylor songs...

Jim Morrison's Grave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLW-Pr-y8qA

I Blew Up The Clinic Real Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76E7MJsYx1g

On The Fritz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4tAHsiJI8U

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/10 at 7:37 pm

In the 70s, there was a great German based Christian group called Deliverance.  Their only hit over here was 'Leaving LA' in 1980, which became a minor chart single in both Canada and the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnw1c6vjs8w

Though based out of Germany, the group was formed by Danny, Ken and Paul Janz, three brothers from Alberta, Canada.

Written By: Bemby on 06/04/10 at 10:41 pm

I am hoping someone can help me with the title of a 80's perhaps 90's children's Christian album it was about clowns and a circus, there was a clown in it by the name of Peaches. I want to recall the title so I can see if it is on I Tunes and buy it for my children.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/10 at 12:57 am

The Hooters: All You Zombies

Judeo-Christian in the case.

Written By: 80sforever on 06/08/10 at 1:07 am

Dana Key from Degarmo and Key died yesterday :(

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/07/christian-rock-pioneer-and-church-pastor-dana-key-/

Written By: DENNIS TEEL on 11/13/10 at 11:35 am

while i liked christian music i also listened to all the other too. most all of the 80's music rocked,even the pop(debbie gibson,nelson,etc)..the secular as well as the christian stuff.the 80's were awesome and happy and i might add very colorful as opposed to the  90's and 2000's

Written By: CCMBT on 01/03/11 at 4:27 pm

Not sure if you guys know about this but there is an awesome Internet Only station playing all the CCM classics from the 80s and 90s and a tad from today...

www.ccmbacktracks.com !  Check it out and leave a comment on the site.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/03/11 at 8:07 pm

Stryper were incredible. Christian hair metal that paved the way for newer bands like Theocracy and ReinXeed!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/11 at 10:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBeoBGM

This isn't Christian music, but it has the word 'Heaven' in it!  :D

Written By: Proverbs3130 on 02/15/11 at 4:13 pm

Don't forget about Jon Gibson! A great late 80s, early 90s artist with songs like "Heart of Gold" and "Love Education".  He, Petra, and Phil Keaggy were my dad's favorites, while my mom loved 2nd chapter of acts, tammy trent, and michael w. smith.

Written By: Shappire swords on 03/31/11 at 2:24 pm

My wife remembers artists like Petra, Michael W. Smith, Steve Taylor, and Amy Grant. I only remember Stryper but even then I didn't think they were any different than any other rock band (except for the Bibles they through out into the audience!!!)

I even remember a christian group called september they had a song  i loved alot but saddly i cant remember the name of it does any one here recall the group called September? if so can you help me find thier music some where? thank you..  

Check for new replies or respond here...