inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Born in the 80s

Written By: T on 07/15/04 at 12:58 am

Is there anybody on this site that was born in the 80s and that remember the 80s?
I was born in 1983 and I feel like the only person my age that remembers the 80s, whenever I talk to people that was born during my time. Such as tv shows, music, starting school, and many things

Subject: Re: Born in the 80s

Written By: nally on 07/15/04 at 5:42 pm

I was born in 1980, so I was in the single digits throughout the 1980s. Being that young, I don't remember much pop culture of the time. :-\\

Written By: RaceTrack on 07/15/04 at 5:54 pm

I was also born in 1983 and i remember parts of the later 80s. Because I was young i missed most of that decade.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/04 at 7:25 pm

I was born in the 70's BUT I somewhat remember the 80's barely. :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 7:29 pm

I was born in the 60's and don't remember much of anything anymore :D

Written By: Koojo on 07/15/04 at 10:38 pm

I think most people who born in a decade probably remember little or none of that decade. 

Unless you were born in the very early part of the decade, then you probably remember a lot more, but it's still probably regulated to mostly little kid stuff.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/04 at 7:13 pm

Maybe someone forgot to take his Ginko Biloba? ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 8:15 pm

I think most people who born in a decade probably remember little or none of that decade. 

Unless you were born in the very early part of the decade, then you probably remember a lot more, but it's still probably regulated to mostly little kid stuff.
On the contrary Koojo, I remember my life from the time i was about 4 when we lived in Paris, France....I remember a lot of that 60's decade :)

Written By: prettypete on 07/16/04 at 11:30 pm

that one made me laugh ;D

Written By: Steve2891 on 07/17/04 at 10:33 am

I was born in 1982, and can remember stuff from as far back as 1985.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/17/04 at 11:17 am

I was born in '88.  The earliest I remember anything from would probably be '93 or '94.

Written By: bj26 on 07/17/04 at 1:08 pm

I was born, that's a fact, and I can tell you stuff about 80s, just ask me!  Lemmesee, ok one of you was born in '83, I lived in Seattle then and remember this giant submarine, the Ohio, make its maiden voyage to Bremerton.  Green Peace tried to block its path, but the sub outsmarted them and went a different way, it was kind of funny.  Ok another was born in 1980, I lived in Mississippi then and went to a disco where my friend was the dj. I got drunk and smoked a whole pack of Marlboros and this girl drove me home.  Oh well, all that did happen in the 80s anyways.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/20/04 at 1:18 am

I was born in 1969 and I pretty much remember from 1970 on.I have a memory of steel that doesn't quit..longterm and short  :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/20/04 at 1:10 pm

I was born in 1975, I remember everything with crystal clarity from 1982 and onwards, starting around when I was about 6 1/2 years old.  But in terms of just memory memories pre-1982, I have memories of doing things with my family that I know go as far back as the late 1970s. 

Written By: Howard on 07/20/04 at 4:40 pm

I was born in 1974 so I remember stuff from 1979 & beyond. :)

Howard

Written By: RolandOrzabalFan on 07/22/04 at 8:13 pm

I was born in 1991 and am a HUGE fan of 80's british new wave!!!

Written By: bbigd04 on 09/04/04 at 1:50 am

Is there anybody on this site that was born in the 80s and that remember the 80s?
I was born in 1983 and I feel like the only person my age that remembers the 80s, whenever I talk to people that was born during my time. Such as tv shows, music, starting school, and many things

I was born in 1987 and all I can really remember is a few snipets when I was a young toddler, such as waiting outside with my mom for my dad to get home from work. And eating toothpaste lol. Pretty much I can remember most things in my life 1991 and later. I remember when Bush 1 was president barely, I can remember my dad telling me jokes about dan quayle, the vice president who couldn't spell potato. I wasn't really somewhat aware of what was going on in the world until about 1995. I got my first cd in 1994 and it was an 80s rock hits cd along with REM's monster, I got it cause I knew I was of course born in the 80s and I wanted to listen to some of the music from the time.

Written By: Xonnie316 on 09/04/04 at 6:47 am

I was born in 83,

What I remember of the 80s is :

~ The Movies
~ The Shows
~ The Music
~ Clothes & Fashion

Written By: Bobby on 09/04/04 at 7:09 am

Born in 1979 and I think I remember from 1982 (barely though) onwards . . .

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 6:59 pm

Born in 1974 and I can remember after 1980.

Howard

Written By: BlaznFattyz on 09/07/04 at 9:38 pm

i think you would have more in common with people of the 90's.  I was born in 71, so im a genX'er and i lived and breathed everything from the 80s and remember all of it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/07/04 at 9:43 pm

I was born in 83,

What I remember of the 80s is :

~ The Movies
~ The Shows
~ The Music
~ Clothes & Fashion

How can you when you were only 9 when 1990 hit?

I was born in 1976, the last of the Gen Xers. I remember the 80s like the back of the hand b/c I was a child, pre-teen and teenager in that decade!

Tanya

Written By: corrupt200 on 09/07/04 at 10:45 pm

I was born in 1980, and I can remeber stuff probably from 1982 and beyond.  :P

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/08/04 at 12:43 pm

I was born in '71 and can remember things that happened from about the time I was three or four.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 7:34 pm

I fell in love with Michael Jackson in 1984 when he became the craze and I started to dance and act like him.  ;D

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/04 at 8:38 pm

I fell in love with Michael Jackson in 1984 when he became the craze and I started to dance and act like him.  ;D

Howard

Michael likes 10-year old boys.  :P :D

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 8:53 pm

Michael likes 10-year old boys.  :P :D

No,LB I was just fascinated with him back in the days.In 1984,I don't think there was any such word like child molestation. ;D

Howard

Written By: Xonnie316 on 09/09/04 at 8:15 am

How can you when you were only 9 when 1990 hit?

I was born in 1976, the last of the Gen Xers. I remember the 80s like the back of the hand b/c I was a child, pre-teen and teenager in that decade!

Tanya

Because my young childhood when I was in Australia, I used to see the shows with my brother, and I may not been a teenager and going to concerts, but it is still nostalgia to me, and I still do feel it, the good times when I was small watching those movies, and tv shows, and especially the music that was around. I may have been tiny but I still remembered.

Written By: eightiestom on 09/09/04 at 1:03 pm

hey,
I was born in the 80s (just) and not only do I love 80s music and movies I now play in an 80s tribute band in the uk, we were all born in the 80s... check it out and let me know what you think.

www.simply80s.com

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 7:53 pm

hey,
I was born in the 80s (just) and not only do I love 80s music and movies I now play in an 80s tribute band in the uk, we were all born in the 80s... check it out and let me know what you think.

www.simply80s.com

So,they play everything from 1980-1989?

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 7:56 pm

It's hard to remember things after 10 years old.But after 1984,I knew a lot of things that had happened. :)

Howard

Written By: kadie on 09/18/04 at 9:24 pm

I was born in 83 and I remember EVERYTHING! I remember lots of stuff. Like how pissed off I was when I didnt get Sweet Secret Dolls for Christmas and I would wish upon a star every night for them. Did I ever get them NO? I wanted a Wild Puffalump and a Power Wheel car. Did I ever get one? NO! I remember my Care Bear birthday party from when I was 3. I remember I tried to be Punky Brewster. I remember watching "Maxis World" and then watching "GI Joes" and then going to school. I remember quite a lot........ So you're not the only one. I remember my Mighty Mouse Suction cup toy that I used in the bath Tub, and I'm pretty sure I got him from a Wendys Kids Meal. Do you see how much stupid crap I remember? But if you ask me anything I learned in school, i probably couldn't answer the question...lol

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/19/04 at 2:29 pm

1986!  ;D

Written By: FrankySaysRelax on 09/19/04 at 5:04 pm

I'm a 1985er  :)

Written By: hornet on 09/20/04 at 2:16 am

i was born on a pirate ship !  ..joking ,.... say that while holding ya tongue and see what ya come up with !  ::)

narr really .i was born right at the start of 1970...remembered some things and songs as early as 1972/73.i don't know why but hey..
loved the music period of late 70's and into the 80's..my music influence started young...and often thrashed my mother's record player
from 6 yo. and upwards....introduced by her various artist record " ripper 76" fav then was by "the silver studs - happy days "..from that record...and radio was " fox on the run" ,"afternoon delight" and of course..."love will keep us together " by c & t...and then later on came patrick hernandez - born to be alive !

then the 80's came...and this is where i got influenced just by radio ,and not my mother...i collected most various artists compilations that EMI came out with ( out of habit ) and onehitwonder singles as well.
my favourite time for music was between 75 - 85   that music was in a league of its own i think...then, so was the fashion !

Written By: eightiestom on 01/04/05 at 3:37 pm

So,they play everything from 1980-1989?

Howard

yep

Written By: woops on 01/04/05 at 3:54 pm

I was born in the mid 1980's and wasn't into pop culture (music, movies, & tv) until 1996.  :P

Though I was forced to watch MTV, which I didn't like, by relatives...

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 01/04/05 at 4:28 pm

I was born in 1986, But i'm a Class-A New Wave-oholic.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/05 at 7:59 pm

I was born in 83 and I remember EVERYTHING! I remember lots of stuff. Like how ticked off I was when I didnt get Sweet Secret Dolls for Christmas and I would wish upon a star every night for them. Did I ever get them NO? I wanted a Wild Puffalump and a Power Wheel car. Did I ever get one? NO! I remember my Care Bear birthday party from when I was 3. I remember I tried to be Punky Brewster. I remember watching "Maxis World" and then watching "GI Joes" and then going to school. I remember quite a lot........ So you're not the only one. I remember my Mighty Mouse Suction cup toy that I used in the bath Tub, and I'm pretty sure I got him from a Wendys Kids Meal. Do you see how much stupid crap I remember? But if you ask me anything I learned in school, i probably couldn't answer the question...lol

You tried to be Punky Brewster at 2?

Tanya

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/04/05 at 11:06 pm

I WAS BORN IN 66 I CAN REMEMBER VERY LITTLE  FORM 1969 BUT I DO SOME LIKE KADIE SAID I TO BELIEVE 3 IS WHEN MEMORIES KICK IN THE 70'S WERE MY EARLY CHILDHOOD KIND OF LIKE THAT 70'S SHOW JUST NOT AS OLD!  MY BEST MEMORIES WERE FROM THE 80'S I WAS IN THE 8TH GRADE IN 79/80 I GRADUATED IN 84 THE 80'S BRING BACK THE BEST OF MEMORIES FOR ME BIG HAIR AND ALL  I HAD MY 20TH REUNION IN AUGUST I ACTUALLY HAD TWO BECAUSE I TRANSFERED OUT TO ANOTHER HIGHSCHOOL IN FEBRUARY OF MY SOPHOMORE YEAR IT WAS GREAT AINT IT FUNNY HOW PEOPLE THAT WOULDNT GIVE YOU THE TIME OF DAY OR THAT NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED YOU THEN ARE MORE THEN EAGER TO  TALK TO YOU NOW!!!!  DOES ANYONE REMEMBER HERFY'S FROM THE 70"S A BURGER JOINT WITH A BIG HERFERD COW HEAD ON THE SIGN NOT A REAL COW HEAD MIND YOU JUST A PICTURE I SEEN IN A EARLIER POST SOMETHING ABOUT WENDYS KIDS MEAL AND REMEMBER HERFY'S HAD THEM BEFORE MCDONALDS.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/05/05 at 9:35 pm

I was born in 1976, one of my favorite (and most memorable moments from the 80's) was going to see Gremlins, my mom thought it was a kids film, and was freaking out while watching the movie.

I think it was either the Gremlin in the Christmas tree or mircowave scene that freaked her out the most!  ;D

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/05/05 at 11:09 pm

In the early 80's around 82-84 I used to sneak out with a group of friends and do some smokin and drinking used to hang out at the Bowling alley the town Cemetary or the main drag in Bremerton cruzin!  The cemetary was safe no one would come lookin there  for you and no one there would hurt you!!!!

Written By: Wildchild25 on 01/05/05 at 11:54 pm

:) I was born in 1980. I loved living in my old neighborhood back then i still miss it :\'(. I still have most of the toys i had back when i was kid, some of them got lost but thanks to ebay i eventually got most of them back.New kids on the block was my favorite band. I still listen to 80's music now.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/06/05 at 1:35 am

I was born in January of 80, so here's what I remember of the 80s(sometimes through reruns):

*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
*Transformers
*He-Man
*The Disney Channel, and their specials
*Paula Abdul
*NES, Atari 2600, and Sega Genesis
*Many MTV videos from 1986-1989(Including that mentally scarring Land of Confusion video)
*News broadcasts of the Berlin Wall getting wrecked(but not knowing what the big deal was until dad told me)
*Teddy Ruxpin
*ET, The Wizard, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, star trek IV, the Flash Gordon movie theme(when my dad watched it real loud)
*Hearing Maneater being played on the radio for the first time when I was 5
*Watching videos of Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy" and Elton John's "I'm still standing" on my dad's VHS tapes that he recorded(also cartoons on others)
*unlaced black and white checkered shoes
*The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
*TV-cartoon ads on KSTW11(Western WA) that had popular music playing during segments of the show ("Another one bites the dust" with Dennis the Menace, and "Girls just want to have fun" with Jem)
*when TBS was called WTBS
*When our channel 12 was a canadian station, but I didn't know it until my dad told me and my brother.  It was when we were watching the ninja turtles cartoon on it and it suddenly flipped to Beverly hillbillies right iin the middle of it.  I forgot why it did that, though.
*seeing the original star wars trilogy on vhs and not knowing what they were about at all.
*C-3PO masks behind the box of C-3PO cereal boxes
*Madballs

Apparently, I can remember a lot...

Written By: Mergal on 01/06/05 at 6:18 am

I'm another 76er so though I remember events that had happened to me before the age of two, I don't remember any pop culture until the year 1981: Rubix Cube (I know it came out earlier, but I don't think my family got one till later), skorts (shorts that look like skirts), MacKenzie ("take off to the Great White North), legwarmers, and Strawberry Shortcake.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/06/05 at 11:05 am

I was born in 1985 and I remember things from as far back as the spring of 1987.

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/06/05 at 11:36 am

I never heard of them being called skorts in the 70's the were cool-ots.  Im not sure if  I spelled that right  but someone from the same time era as me knows exactly what Im saying.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/05 at 7:55 pm

BUMP

I was born in late 1981 and, even though my earliest memories (judging by, say, when a certain song came out, or where we lived at the time, etc.) are around late 1984/early 85, I always had a good feel for the 80's, and even the late 70's to an extent (1978-82 was relatively similar).

For instance, in the early 90's, VH1 used to have this show called "Video Rewind" where they'd show 10 videos and other flashbacks from a certain year. For instance, I can remember watching it and thinking, "Hey, 1983 was a cool year. was popular or came out."

Now, it wasn't like I thought "1992 isn't good" - I didn't compare it to the (then) present, but I still, even as a 10-year-old kid, had a good idea of what the world was like with movies, music, culture, etc. :)

Written By: 90s boy on 03/24/05 at 12:17 am

I Was born in the Spring of 1988 i can remember bit of 1990 and 1991 but my memory kicks in around Aug 1993

The year such shows like Murphy Brown and Roseanne debuted and when the Facts Of Life ended the year Michael Jackson bought the Neverland ranch and did his Bad Tour that Year Madonna was on Broadway that year Debbie Gibson became the yougist singer to have a written and produced song go to no1# Tiffany sued her mouther that year Paula Abdul Ventured into Music and Jessica Rabbit Became the hottest toon ever Movies such as Beetle Juice Big Who Framed Roger Rabbit Child's Play and Beaches came out Glam Rock was in that Year and Rap too Aerosmith was back on top and Cher won a Oscar Jody Wattly won a Grammy for best new artist and thats all 4 now heh

Check for new replies or respond here...