inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Network Shows

Written By: T on 07/15/04 at 1:41 pm

Remember the times when a lot of us still didn't have cable and when CBS, NBC, and ABC had great shows such as: Gimme A Break!, prime time soaps, tv movies, the Walt Disney Sunday night specials and many more types of entertaining shows that were good. I really most those times. I wonder why the networks don't make to many tv movies now.

Subject: Re: The Network Shows

Written By: RaceTrack on 07/15/04 at 5:41 pm

Yep, didnt have anything else till 1996. A few of my fav shows were Full House, The Wonder Years and Macgyver. We watched ABC the most of all.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/16/04 at 8:57 am

I watched network TV shows like sitcoms and prime time dramas all the time until the mid 90s.  I remember that especially in the 80s, I would watch most of the TV movies of the week.  NBC and ABC had some great "movie of the week" theme song intros.  And a lot of their movies were actually pretty decent.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/16/04 at 11:39 am

Probably because its so easy to get stations beyond network TV now.  Used to be unless you were lucky enough to live in town and have cable, you were stuck with whatever network TV you could pull from an antenna, unless you were lucky enough to have folks who could shell out the $$$ for a big C-band dish.  Nowadays pretty much anyody can just get little-dish TV so easily, with whatever stations they want.

I never got cable till I was in college in 94-96.  I always wanted more than the 3 channels, especially once network TV started going down the tubes after the 80s.  I like the variety of being able to watch something different if I wanted.  With network TV, you had to watch whatever everybody else watched.  Early morning you were stuck with morning news shows.  Then till noon it was all game shows.  Then soaps till mid afternoon, then it varied till 5 when you were stuck with local news then world news.  Then another variety slot for an hour, and the primetime lineup for three hours till 11 and more local news.  Then talk shows, then sometimes some variety till signoff.  Then other things like holdiday and stuff, when all you got was holiday parades all morning, football games all day new years day, things like that.  The only place to turn to for variety was PBS but that was only when we could pull it in.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 7:49 pm

On NBC:
Miami Vice
Friday Night Videos

On ABC:
Dynasty
Fantasy Island
Monday Night Football(I know it started in the early 70S though)

On CBS:
Major League Baseball
The NBA on CBS

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 10:55 pm

Remember the times when a lot of us still didn't have cable and when CBS, NBC, and ABC had great shows such as: Gimme A Break!, prime time soaps, tv movies, the Walt Disney Sunday night specials and many more types of entertaining shows that were good. I really most those times. I wonder why the networks don't make to many tv movies now.
I remember

Written By: safetydance on 07/16/04 at 11:07 pm

I think a lot of the 80's tv movies are now on Lifetime and I still enjoy them.

The 80's were also an era of good miniseries, you don't see those much anymore. I liked Lonesome Dove, North and South, The Thorn Birds (was that 80's or 70's?)

Check for new replies or respond here...